Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 15:06   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Compared to the old figo, the new one lacks the solid feel but i wouldn't say the the exteriors are cheap, though cost cutting is evident, its similar to what a swift offers.
Maybe, because the car I drove still had no number plate on the rear, the rectangular hole in that space was showing the sheet metal thickness(or should I say thinness) and also exposing too much of the interior parts, It felt like that.
Yes, you are right, it may not be cheaper than Swift. But it felt cheap nevertheless. As I have written it was the first impression on seeing the car.

Quote:
How did the interiors of the baleno compare to the aspire? Even though the Aspire has a beige interior, i found the interior quality to be similar to the baleno.
Both are pretty much in the same league. Jus that black hides the flaws better than beige

Quote:
Even if you compare the dark interior figo hatch, similar levels of plastic quality.Even interior fit and finish of both cars were same, not in the league of the hyundais,VW and even the tata zest.
Both the cars are way way behind the VWs and the new Hyundais in this aspect.

Quote:
Maybe the fresher design of the baleno as compared to the figo, adds to the better feel of the interior?
Old 21st March 2016, 20:02   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Maybe, because the car I drove still had no number plate on the rear, the rectangular hole in that space was showing the sheet metal thickness(or should I say thinness) and also exposing too much of the interior parts, It felt like that.
Yes, you are right, it may not be cheaper than Swift. But it felt cheap nevertheless. As I have written it was the first impression on seeing the car.
Sir,can you please elaborate how you could judge the sheet metal thickness by looking at the rectangular hole in the bumper region at the rear? As far as I know, the rectangular hole is located over the bumper area,which is plastic anyway.I maybe wrong,so sharing this picture of the car below for experienced members like you to decide.

Ford Aspire : Official Review-lights-b.jpg

About interior plastics,only time can tell how well they will hold up.But for the time being and for people like me who usually owns sub 10 lakh cars,the plastic quality is quite acceptable and definitely doesn't feel 'cheap'.The texture is good and it doesn't reflect very much on the windscreen under harsh sun either.I admit that VWs and the Hyundai's in this price range have a notch better plastics,but in my humble opinion it would be an exaggeration to say that they are 'way-way better' than what Ford is offering.

The ICE console of the Titanium+ may look cluttered to a minimalist,but after using it for a few days one understands how easy it is to operate, with minimal time and effort required to shift the focus from the road to the console.Also I think that the ACC module design is one the best in sub 10 lakh range.It is incredibly ergonomic to operate too,requiring just a finger length stretch from the gear lever to the knurled knobs without taking your eyes off the road.
dragonov007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:03   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonov007 View Post
Sir,can you please elaborate how you could judge the sheet metal thickness by looking at the rectangular hole in the bumper region at the rear? As far as I know, the rectangular hole is located over the bumper area,which is plastic anyway.I maybe wrong,so sharing this picture of the car below for experienced members like you to decide.
I saw all the metal pieces used to fix the many parts inside through that hole and they didn't look strong to me.

As I have mentioned, its was just my first impression and I've even written that the view through that hole might have influenced me. I don't know what more I should say

Quote:
About interior plastics,only time can tell how well they will hold up.But for the time being and for people like me who usually owns sub 10 lakh cars,the plastic quality is quite acceptable and definitely doesn't feel 'cheap'.The texture is good and it doesn't reflect very much on the windscreen under harsh sun either.I admit that VWs and the Hyundai's in this price range have a notch better plastics,but in my humble opinion it would be an exaggeration to say that they are 'way-way better' than what Ford is offering.
Honestly speaking, the plastics in my Punto 1.2 is also 'acceptable'. The texture is good and doesn't reflect anything at all.
It has held up for 6 years without any attention paid to it.
But then,I can't say no to the fact that the fit is bad and the bottom half of it looks cheap.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2016 at 10:07. Reason: Removing opening lines - unnecessary
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:44   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Drove a new Figo Aspire of one of my colleagues. It was the fist time I drove the 1.2 petrol version.
I drove this just after driving a new Baleno 1.2 of another colleague.
First impressions from the outside - looked very cheap.
To each his own, but I do not remember seeing anybody else make this comment about the Aspire.

Without the rear number plate, a big rectangular hole with all metal inside visible, it looked really cheap.
Looked through a hole any car would look cheap with all the exposed metal But seriously, I have it from a Ford body shop mechanic who used to work for Maruti, that the quality of metal in the Figo Aspire is far better than any Maruti or Hyundai (not only the Body Panels). The new S-Cross and Creta may be an exception. But it is definitely inferior when compared to the other Fords (which are equivalent to the VWs and the Fiats).

First impressions from the inside-Plastics were cheap and too many buttons for my liking - Especially the phone area on the centre console. Fit and finish was ordinary too.
I actually think the dashboard is the best part of the interior of this car - and it is pretty good for a sub 10 lakh car. How does it compare to the Baleno, in your opinion?

Instrument cluster looked too small but nice. Agree.

Ford seats was very comfy-IMO not very good for longer drives.
You are wrong here. I can tell you from first hand experience that they are very comfortable for long drives. My mother and father, both having bad backs, can vouch for it. The seats were a clinching factor for me.

It was very silent. Very very silent.

The clutch travel felt long and not light. Agree.

The Power was too less for this vehicle (Again like my Punto 1.2) but Power delivery was very linear.
Power, or the lack of it, is a known drawback of the 1.2 Petrol, but once you get used to it, you can create waves. The mileage though, is a redeeming factor.

Overall, it is not made to an enthusiasts' tastes at all!
The 1.2 - yes. But try the diesel and you will be blown away.

AC is an absolute chiller. If you wear glasses then the first thing you do after getting out of the car, is wipe it.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 16:26   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
To each his own,
Thank you for understanding

Quote:
But seriously, I have it from a Ford body shop mechanic who used to work for Maruti, that the quality of metal in the Figo Aspire is far better than any Maruti or Hyundai (not only the Body Panels). The new S-Cross and Creta may be an exception. But it is definitely inferior when compared to the other Fords (which are equivalent to the VWs and the Fiats)
May be yes. I have not made a comparison. If it is better than a Maruti, it doesn't make it the best does it?

Quote:
How does it compare to the Baleno, in your opinion?
I had written what I felt about Aspire without making any comparison with Baleno. But if you feel good with the comparison, then; Between the two...the plastic quality is better in Aspire. But I liked the uncluttered layout of the Baleno's dashboard better.

Quote:
You are wrong here. I can tell you from first hand experience that they are very comfortable for long drives. My mother and father, both having bad backs, can vouch for it. The seats were a clinching factor for me.
Good if it is good for you. but I was talking in general. Seats with very comfy and soft cushion are generally not good for long drives. too hard is again not very good. it should be optimum.

Quote:
It was very silent. Very very silent.
Now how do we co-relate my 'very silent' and your 'very very silent'

Quote:
Power, or the lack of it, is a known drawback of the 1.2 Petrol, but once you get used to it, you can create waves. The mileage though, is a redeeming factor.
Sure. I know this very well with my heavy car running on a 1.2 engine.

Quote:
try the diesel and you will be blown away
Will do that soon. My comments were only based on my short drive on the 1.2
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 16:39   #771
Team-BHP Support

Question to owners: How different is the re-tuned 1.2P in the current Figo/Aspire from the earlier version in the 1st gen Figo?
Old 23rd March 2016, 01:23   #772
BHPian

No offense meant or taken Sir.My comment wasn't made purposefully in a sarcastic tone.Maybe I could have rephrased it in a different way to prevent sending out that impression.However if I have indeed offended you in any way,my apologies for that.I have zero intentions of keeping a bad blood over such trivial matters.

About the TDCi,please do give it a test drive.I am sure you will find it to be one of the best accelerating machines in this side of 10 lakhs.Additionally you will be pleasantly surprised by how effortlessly it drives with almost zero turbo lag in city traffic.

Also about the seats,I can not comment about the non-leather seats,but the leather ones in the Titanium+ are superbly comfortable and supportive.You can take the opinion of Mobike008 in this matter,as he has done an extensive road trip of 3000+ kms in his car.

Coming back to the car,the first service had been done a few days ago.When I had been contacted by the Ganges Ford service station,they mentioned that first service takes exactly 90mins to complete.I had a faint rattling sound coming from somewhere near the Right B pillar region recently.When I mentioned it to my service advisor, he assigned me a mechanic to take the car to a rough patch of road to pin point the problem.Within minutes he could pick up the rattle and subsequently the service advisor advised me to keep the car for 4-5 hours to sort out the problem.Took delivery of the car in the evening.They had done an interior and engine bay cleaning and polishing too.As for the rattling noise, the service advisor said that some tightening of hinges of the rear right side door was done and assured that the issue was resolved.During my drive back home,I found that the rattling had ceased and nor did it appear when I took the car for a long 300+ km trip the very next day.Sharing what Ford calls the 'Vehicle report card' below-

Ford Aspire : Official Review-first-service.jpg

The service advisor was asking me if I will like to go for an underbody protection treatment from Waxoyl for an additional INR 3000.I politely declined it saying that I would rather have it done prior to the monsoons.It will be helpful if any members have any experiences to share about Ford's Waxoyl underbody treament and its effectiveness.

P.S.- @Sam- I just noticed the picture of your car's hand rests today:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...301_095617.jpg

It seems Ford has done a bespoke job for you by painting the upper part of the hand rests piano black, while our cars have it the other way round-

Ford Aspire : Official Review-img_20160313_122417111.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2016 at 10:08. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 23rd March 2016, 04:54   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

P.S.- @Sam- I just noticed the picture of your car's hand rests today:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...301_095617.jpg

It seems Ford has done a bespoke job for you by painting the upper part of the hand rests piano black, while our cars have it the other way round-

Attachment 1489090
Don't know if it was requested for or the folks painted it by mistake but its going to be a dust/fingerprint magnet and needs to cleaned quite often.
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:05   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the side part is fixed to the beige door panel by clips that would have to be broken to separate them. So, as a compromise I got the top panel painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
its going to be a dust/fingerprint magnet and needs to cleaned quite often.
You are correct, but so is every area that has the piano black paint. It's bad idea by Ford even though it looks good.
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:39   #775
BANNED

Samaspireji, I have shattered my right mirror while sharing a lane with share auto(road was dug IP on his lane). Can you please guess much will they be charging for RHS ORVM? Have you fixed LHS one in your Car?
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:00   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Samaspireji, I have shattered my right mirror while sharing a lane with share auto (road was dug IP on his lane). Can you please guess much will they be charging for RHS ORVM? Have you fixed LHS one in your Car?
Is it only the mirror that is broken or the whole ORVM? If you need the whole ORVM then they will charge you for the unit plus painting charges.

I will ask the service guys and let you know, but I need to know which variant your car is. There are 2 types of ORVMs - one has manual controls, another has electric controls.

I still have my original ORVMs - I just got them painted silver. They charged 2000 for painting those and the door handles during delivery.
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:05   #777
BANNED

Thank you for the quick aid,Samaspire. It was the mirror alone, I want to fix LHS orvm too. My model is the Base 1.5 Tdci.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:53   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I assume, you have to take your foot off the accelerator before Step 3
Absolutely Paramount to do that!
runaldahiwade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:24   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Thank you for the quick aid,Samaspire. It was the mirror alone, I want to fix LHS orvm too. My model is the Base 1.5 Tdci.
Here are the rates from Cauvery Ford, Mangalore

Left Hand Side ORVM - Rs.1500/-
Painting Charge - Rs.300/-
Right Hand Side Mirror only - Rs.400/-

Same rates for both Figo & Aspire.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 22:56   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
If you get the myFord dock as an accessory you will not get Aux input with it. Stupid as it may sound of Ford, Myford Docks are not coming with a Aux input, just a USB. There is a hole for Aux input but not a port. I had a lengthy discussion with the Accessory manager wondering on the omission and he was at loss of logic too.

But I haven't missed it much. The ford system bluetooth connects 5 phones simultaneously and there is one less cable.
It seems that you have got the MyFord Dock installed in your car along with the Ford Bluetooth system at the dealer level. Could you please share the price details of the same? Also could you post some pics of the installed ICE? And how is the sound quality?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks