Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 10:51   #1291
BHPian

@Amaheshwari, given your options and requirements, S-cross makes the best sense.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:07   #1292
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Anyone here cancelled your booking for S-Cross?

I had booked S-cross and cancelled it with Bimal Nexa in Bangalore. They are taking forever to refund the money. Anyone else had a good experience in getting back the booking amount on time?
Old 19th August 2015, 11:25   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
The new Jazz was never my favourite. Infact I would pick elite i20 over it. However, I would like to point out that when Jazz was launched, general consensus was that it was overpriced. Now we are comparing another car over 1.4 lakh more expensive and saying it offers more value.
I agree with you Vibbs - Jazz is over-priced. But my main problem with Jazz was that whichever variant you pick - V or VX, both feels like a compromise - neither of the offer the feeling that you are driving a premium hatchback. Reasons -

V misses out on the magic seats and the normal seats provided are clearly inferior. I felt that the fabric is of poor quality and the rear seats sit lower and the overall comfort is less. The seats do not even offer 60:40 split. Now, why would I go for the V variant with lesser comfort when the main reason I am going for Jazz is rear seat comfort and space.

VX gives me the awesome magic seats. But there is a minor issue that the middle portion of the rear seat is elevated and will result in obvious discomfort. If I can overlook that, I am really disappointed with the quality of touchscreen HU. Even if I choose to ignore that, I cannot ignore the fact that the Aux and USB cable are inside the glovebox. Also why would one go for a top-end model which does not offer some useful features available in the lower variant? VX does not offer multi-view reverse camera and speed sensitive volume control.

Coming to S-Cross, even if I pay 1.4 lakhs extra OTR (Yes, Honda quoted 10.7 L OTR for VX diesel and Nexa quoted 12.1 L OTR for Zeta), I do not feel there is ANY compromise. May be the rear headrests needs some tweaks. Other than that I do not feel ANY compromise anywhere. When you buy a car, it should satisfy you - you should not be reminded of cost-cutting every where. That is where Jazz, which still appeals to my heart, fails to impress my head. I have attributed some value to the satisfaction and feel-good factor also and S-Cross scores well there. When Jazz reminds me of some obvious cost cutting, S-Cross makes me feel happy. To be frank, the cost-cuttings started bothering me more after I checked out i20 in detail and the S-Cross.

Quote:
How much more are you willing to pay for, all four disk brakes, height adjustable seat belts, telescopic steering, engine start stop button, driver side vanity mirror, front and rear armrest, vanity mirror lamps, two additional speakers, foldable keyfob, better dynamics, better build, slightly more space, high ground clearance and a more refined engine (additional features on SCross zeta versus Jazz VXMT). Out of this how much will you deduct for Magic seats, leather wrapped steering and six speed transmission and better drivability in city( additional features in Jazz). I am not adding the snob of Honda because I believe the brand is now diluted in India.

If you can stretch 1.4 lakh, it might be worth but that is true for every comparison that straddles two segment.
Here is how I compare the features of Jazz VX vs S-Cross Zeta

Functional and Useful features
  • Cruise Control
  • 4 wheel disc brakes
  • Key-less entry with request sensors on door handles and gives 2 smart keys
  • Key-less go with push-button start
  • Speed sensing auto-lock
  • Bigger wheels and wider tires with full size spare tire
  • Slidable driver armrest wide enough to be used by co-driver also
  • Height adjustable seat-belts
  • Telescopic steering
  • Rear parking sensors in addition to reversing camera
  • Configurable Anti-theft security system
Cosmetic features
  • Soft-touch dashboard
  • Better quality touch-screen HU with 2 tweeters
  • Roof Rail
  • Damped glove box with illumination
  • Front foot-well illumination
  • Illuminated vanity mirrors
  • Rear arm-rest
  • Sun-glass holder
  • Accessory socket in boot
Advantage Jazz comes in the below points
  • Magic seats + all the flexibility associated
  • Better usable boot space
  • Touch-screen ACC - depends on user preference
  • Better drivable iDTEC engine giving excellent FE
  • 6 speed gearbox for a more relaxed highway cruising
Considering all this, if I pay 1.4 lakhs extra, I get a more future-ready car in S-Cross. If at any stage I feel the engine is under-powered, there are remap options. But most features available in S-Cross cannot be retro-fitted in the Jazz. That is the reason why I personally felt S-Cross to be of more value even if you pay extra.

I think I have conveyed all my thoughts on this topic and hence I will not be posting on a Jazz vs S-Cross discussion any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Well, I don't think many people looking at the Jazz will go for S-cross simply because of the budget.....So, we are looking at a mere 2% of people considering Jazz might opt for S-cross. That's hardly an impact I would say.
You might be correct Adimicra. I did not deep-dive into these calculations. In fact I am someone who always wanted the top-end Jazz and have hesitantly moved to S-Cross because of the points mentioned above. I had a budget of 10 lakhs initially when I started looking out for cars and have painfully stretched that to 12 lakhs - mainly because Jazz VX itself was outside my budget If I can stretch ~1 lakh for VX (including a tire upgrade) why don't I stretch by 1 more lakh for a car that appeals to both my heart and head - this was my approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
It's true that the Jazz has a unique value proposition because it offers interior space and boot space similar to bigger cars and therefore can come in comparisons and cross-shopping with the big boys (also, the diesel one having the same engine and 6 speed gearbox as the City is an advantage)
No two ways, no other hatchback offers what Jazz offers inn terms of interior space and boot space. And when compared to big boy City, Jazz is really VFM - but, IMO the problem is, it is only when compared to City. Jazz offers almost everything that City offers and at a much lower price. But when other cars like i20, S-Cross comes into picture, I see more value for money in them than in Jazz.

Last edited by Vigkey : 19th August 2015 at 11:29.
Vigkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:14   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaheshwari View Post
I test rode the Jazz petrol top variant and found the suspension to be too stiff/hard especially at low speeds. I also found the low speed power/torque to be lacking enough punch for negotiating Delhi NCR's notorious peak-time traffic. I also read a few reviews on Jazz car complaints for variants sold elsewhere in US/Europe and was surprised to find very strong comments about the poor quality of seats (too hard, causing pain and discomfort during or after long drives), that the angle of the front head rests was too forward jutting into the head/upper neck causing you to drive in a non-upright neck position causing the pain.

I had booked a Jazz back in June based upon my research done on the web, but ended up canceling it (am yet to receive my refund even after 2 weeks) due to the above.

I have studied Team-BHP's reviews of the Jazz as well as Elite i20 and the S-Cross. I am now pretty confused and could do with some sound advice. If my monthly drive is 1200 km mostly on bad, pot hole and speed breaker ridden roads, long highway drives perhaps 2-3 times a year, a requirement of good rear seat space and legroom, overall cost of maintenance and ride comfort a key consideration; which car would be a better choice.
I was in the same situation as yours before and the same cars were in contention. I have test drove all three extensively before finalizing on S-Cross. So here is my take after driven the S-Cross for couple of hundreds miles in my 5 days of ownership.

1. 1200 km/month - You are on the boundary for petrol vs diesel. It boils down to personal preference. If your choice is petrol, then it's Jazz all the way.

2. Pot hole and speed breaker ridden roads - The suspension and handling in S-Cross is miles ahead of the other 2 only bettered by Duster on the suspension department. If not S-Cross

Suspension - i20 > Jazz
handling - Jazz > i20(Scary)

3. Long highway drives perhaps 2-3 times a year - All the 3 are capable in this regard. Driving comfort is better in S-Cross due to high seating position.

4. Requirement of good rear seat space and legroom - Surprisingly it's a tough fight between S-Cross and Jazz where S-Cross wins by a faint margin. Jazz being 1 foot shorter than S-Cross has fantastic rear leg room although under thigh support is not so good. The same can't be spoken about the front seats. S-Cross is much wider and 3 people in back is an easy fit.

5. Overall cost of maintenance - Maruti hands down as against 6 months service interval for Jazz. Build quality is top notch in S-Cross although i20 and Jazz are not far behind. To be frank this is an unknown territory for S-Cross and only the long term ownership will reveal the facts.

6. Ride comfort - For me it's S-Cross although I liked the Jazz. Handling the fantastic in S-Cross though.

Having said that, if budget is not a factor and can be stretched for a lakh or 2, you should take a look at S-Cross DDIS 200 zeta and above. The jazz VX is a top contender with 1.5 lakh less.

Take as many test drives as you can before finalizing. I20 is a benchmark in premiumness and the sales charts confirms it. Just that I20 doesn't work for me as my priorities are driving dynamics and space, it's no way inferior. After all you are spending a million and choice should be a balance between head and heart.
sou_3749 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 13:20   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe its a bangalore thingy that you ve not seen any Jazzes on road? Or probably you are looking elsewhere when a Jazz passes by

Frankly can't we just leave it at that the two cars are meant for different set of people? Its Ok if you did not like Jazz just like its ok if someone didn't like SCross.
Vibbs, I was and will always be a fan of the Jazz - the practicality quotient remains unparalled even today. Just that the S-Cross appealed to me in most parameters that I considered important or useful.

BTW, would never shy away from the Jazz, definitely not deliberately

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaheshwari View Post
If my monthly drive is 1200 km mostly on bad, pot hole and speed breaker ridden roads, long highway drives perhaps 2-3 times a year, a requirement of good rear seat space and legroom, overall cost of maintenance and ride comfort a key consideration; which car would be a better choice.
Firstly, welcome to Team-BHP

@1200 KMS/month - I would tend towards a Diesel

Bad roads - The S-Cross, undoubtedly

Long highway drives - All 3 are capable in their own ways.

Good luck on your hunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Coming to S-Cross, even if I pay 1.4 lakhs extra OTR (Yes, Honda quoted 10.7 L OTR for VX diesel and Nexa quoted 12.1 L OTR for Zeta), I do not feel there is ANY compromise. May be the rear headrests needs some tweaks. I have attributed some value to the satisfaction and feel-good factor also and S-Cross scores well there. When Jazz reminds me of some obvious cost cutting, S-Cross makes me feel happy. To be frank, the cost-cuttings started bothering me more after I checked out i20 in detail and the S-Cross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Having said that, if budget is not a factor and can be stretched for a lakh or 2, you should take a look at S-Cross DDIS 200 zeta and above. The jazz VX is a top contender with 1.5 lakh less.

Take as many test drives as you can before finalizing. I20 is a benchmark in premiumness and the sales charts confirms it. Just that I20 doesn't work for me as my priorities are driving dynamics and space, it's no way inferior. After all you are spending a million and choice should be a balance between head and heart.
Well articulated Vigkey & Sou. There's no perfect car around and there needn't be. You just need to recognise the calling.
Old 19th August 2015, 15:36   #1296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

IMO, the S-Cross DDiS 200 Zeta at 9.9L ex-showroom in itself is a good upgrade over the Jazz VX MT diesel at 8.59L ex-showroom. You pay 1.4L more, but get a whole lot more car and goodies in return.
You may have your personal reasons to like S-Cross over Jazz, which is ok, but please do not call it an upgrade. Upgrades are from hatch to sedan or SUV. Since when have cars belonging in same class but priced a bit higher become upgrades? Is Jazz an upgrade over i20 then? All three are hatchbacks, no matter what their makers claim. Jazz and S-Class being closer in shape and size.

I don't know how to see value in 1.4 lakh addition of S-Cross when it has some features over Jazz, but it loses out on some vis-a-vis Jazz. We need to do some math here to see which scores better. But if they are stacked up evenly, most would prefer a Honda over Suzuki. And more so with both engines having same torque and BHP, actually BHP is more in Jazz.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:58   #1297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You may have your personal reasons to like S-Cross over Jazz, which is ok, but please do not call it an upgrade. Upgrades are from hatch to sedan or SUV.
Upgrade not in the sense that a Jazz owner goes ahead and purchase an S-Cross, but a prospective Jazz owner can upgrade to a car which is longer, wider, higher and offer a lot more in terms of features. (And I can already see one or two members doing the exact same thing here.)

I'm sure you have your personal reasons for disliking S-Cross (Seen that enthusiasm two pages back), but it is plain numbers and logic that S-Cross is a lot bigger car with more features. That doesn't have anything to do with my liking for the S-Cross.

Haven't you seen swift owners 'upgrading' to i20 here in the forum? Haven't you seen Grand i10 owners 'upgrading' to Swift? Haven't you seen DZire owners 'upgrading' to City? What do you advise those members then?

Compared to these scenarios, the word upgrade has a lighter meaning in the context I've used. I'm surprised you need a change in form factor to call something an upgrade.

As for the whole "brand" Suzuki v/s Honda debate- there are different threads for that topic. If you are game, let's have a healthy discussion somewhere else.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2015 at 16:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:00   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
You may have your personal reasons to like S-Cross over Jazz, which is ok, but please do not call it an upgrade. Upgrades are from hatch to sedan or SUV. Since when have cars belonging in same class but priced a bit higher become upgrades?
Please don't get me wrong, but I don't quite understand what you want to convey.

Honda calls the Jazz a premium hatch, while Maruti calls the S-Cross a X-over. I see nothing blatantly incorrect in their respective claims.

IMHO, we should rather concentrate on sharing experiences and helping prospective owners make an informed buying decision.
pannags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:34   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post

I had booked S-cross and cancelled it with Bimal Nexa in Bangalore. They are taking forever to refund the money. Anyone else had a good experience in getting back the booking amount on time?
Same case here. i cancelled my booking from Pratham(though for diff car!), it is more than 2 months so far. i neither received the received refund nor proper response from them. I even went to an extent and registered a complaint in Maruti Regional office in bangalore and they assured that they will resolve in a day. but nothing happened. Its sucks to follow up with these people. no idea other than to wait

Last edited by csanthosh : 19th August 2015 at 16:38.
csanthosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 16:48   #1300
Distinguished - BHPian

For Prospective S Cross owners,

3D Kagu mats - INR 6950 ( Available in Black and Beige)

Buyback for the 4 OEM alloys ~ 10000 INR for 4 alloys and INR 25000 if given along with tyres ( 205 60 R16)
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:06   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Buyback for the 4 OEM alloys ~ 10000 INR for 4 alloys and INR 25000 if given along with tyres ( 205 60 R16)
Thanks for this useful piece of information. Can you please clarify if this is directly through NEXA, in which case it would be more or less similar across cities?
Old 19th August 2015, 18:00   #1302
BHPian

Quote:

Same here, it has taken more than 10 days and I am yet to receive the refund. The RM called me twice, first time saying the CEO is out of the country and as soon as he is back, the refund will be processed. Today he again called me and asked me for the details of my card from which I paid the booking. I am now feeling irritated, poor experience post cancellation when the claim was that they would refund in 3 days time
Old 19th August 2015, 18:05   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Same here, it has taken more than 10 days and I am yet to receive the refund. The RM called me twice, first time saying the CEO is out of the country and as soon as he is back, the refund will be processed. Today he again called me and asked me for the details of my card from which I paid the booking. I am now feeling irritated, poor experience post cancellation when the claim was that they would refund in 3 days time
Same story with me too. Their CEO/manager is in Dubai and hence taking time. So much for the "premium" Nexa experience.
Old 19th August 2015, 18:23   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
You may have your personal reasons to like S-Cross over Jazz, which is ok, but please do not call it an upgrade. Upgrades are from hatch to sedan or SUV. Since when have cars belonging in same class but priced a bit higher become upgrades? Is Jazz an upgrade over i20 then? All three are hatchbacks, no matter what their makers claim. Jazz and S-Class being closer in shape and size.
I am amused that you consider a change in form-factor is necessary to call it an upgrade So according to you, the only upgrade path is Hatch -> Sedan -> SUV?

I sell an Alto and buy a Swift. What is it? - Hatch to Hatch = No upgrade??
What if I sell an Xcent and buy an i20? - Sedan to Hatch = Downgrade??
How about, if I sell a Bolero and buy a Corolla? - SUV to Sedan = Serious Downgrade??
Consider this, I sell an Ecosport and buy a B-Class? - SUV to Hatch = Unbelievable Downgrade??

Upgrade is not determined by the form factor. Price might be a factor but not necessarily. S-Cross is not necessarily an upgrade for a Jazz owner. But IMO, if one is planning for Jazz and has the capacity to spend 1.5 lakhs extra, S-Cross DDiS 200 will be an upgrade in terms of premium feel and features. I hope that is what CD meant. If he did, I agree with him.

I very well agree with you that "what their makers claim" is not necessarily true. Creta is not a SUV - it is a crossover. Similarly Cross Polo and Etios Cross are not crossovers - they are hatchbacks - claddings do not make them crossovers. However, Avventura and i20 Active and crossovers in my book - they AT LEAST have a raised GC and functional roof rails inherited from SUVs.

And, if you think a crossover SHOULD look like an SUV, that is your opinion. But your opinion does not necessarily disqualify S-Cross from being a crossover. If my understanding is correct, crossover is a vehicle built on a car platform combining features from SUVs and hatchbacks in highly variable degrees. And by this definition, S-Cross also falls under crossover category - only that it borrows more from hatchbacks than SUVs.

Quote:
I don't know how to see value in 1.4 lakh addition of S-Cross when it has some features over Jazz, but it loses out on some vis-a-vis Jazz. We need to do some math here to see which scores better. But if they are stacked up evenly, most would prefer a Honda over Suzuki. And more so with both engines having same torque and BHP, actually BHP is more in Jazz.
It is an agreed fact that Jazz diesel is more drivable in city than the S-Cross due to its torque delivery pattern. I also agree that S-Cross gains a lot of features and loses a few in comparison to Jazz. I have listed down on what I think makes S-Cross more VFM than Jazz in spite of the extra 1.4 lakhs. Again, that is my personal view and everyone might have a different view. You do not see value in S-Cross - absolutely fine and I totally respect that. Some of us have a different view - our priorities might be different from yours, our perspective might be different and probably that is why we see value in S-Cross. Would be great if we can discuss why we see or do not see value for the greater benefit of the audience rather than vehemently rejecting ones POV. Peace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Same here, it has taken more than 10 days and I am yet to receive the refund. The RM called me twice, first time saying the CEO is out of the country and as soon as he is back, the refund will be processed.
Quote:
Same story with me too. Their CEO/manager is in Dubai and hence taking time. So much for the "premium" Nexa experience.
Oops. This is totally bad. With their claim of immediate 100% refund, delaying refund is a total deviation from the premium experience they claimed to give. IMO, they should have cancelled your booking and immediately given you a cheque for 11k - no questions asked. That would be the premium experience I would love to have. Sad state of affairs in India, be it private or public sector - everyone is eager to get money from you but when it is time to pay back, it takes all the time in the world.

Did any of you try raising this with the Maruti's customer care. They are usually known to get issues resolved ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For Prospective S Cross owners,

3D Kagu mats - INR 6950 ( Available in Black and Beige)

Thats a very useful piece of information volkman!!! Is the buyback of alloys and tires through Nexa itself or from outside?? If it is from Nexa, do they also have options for other alloys and tires?? If it is from outside, please also provide the details of the place

Last edited by Eddy : 19th August 2015 at 18:38. Reason: Merged multiple posts
Vigkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 20:24   #1305
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I am amused that you consider a change in form-factor is necessary to call it an upgrade So according to you, the only upgrade path is Hatch -> Sedan -> SUV?
I like that. I always had this theory in my mind but could never put it up in words.

Also, but that logic upgrading an SUV to a BUS should be peoples ultimate goal in life.

I think this has to lot to do with our 3rd world mentality and poor driving culture where larger is superior. For example, many people think that more megapixels or more zoom in a camera is always better - which is obviously not the case!

Considering how pathetic our traffic situation has become I dont enjoy being on the road anymore - which is why I may want to switch from a large dabba SUV to a more compact vehicle - I dont see anything wrong with that!!

Just because someone is intentionally driving a smaller car by choice doesnt mean he is downgraded.
aerohit is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks