Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 06:41   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

At the Nexa Showroom last weekend, I had taken a few pics of the Yeti parked next to the S-Cross.
The size difference is marginal though the other differences are significant.
The S Cross has a smiley grille whereas the Yeti just looks neutral and understated.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_5237.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_5238.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_5241.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2015 at 06:43.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 06:55   #1172
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Looks are subjective is a big euphemism for ugly cars. No one says looks are subjective when they refer to Civic, Lancer Evo or a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. I see this caption "looks are subjective" only when we refer to Ritz/Getz/Innova/Qualis/S-ross etc. I think this has become a big cliche. And I'm bored stiff of this cliche. Time to call a spade a spade.

I have to agree with you for the examples that you quoted, but there are other cars that draw polarising opinions. Good examples would be the Swift and Swift Dzire. I love the Swift but hate how Maruti has tacked on a boot to the first gen Dzire. However there are others who genuinely think the Swift is ugly and the DZire is much better looking. This is where subjectivity comes.
KRN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 07:18   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Its OK guys. Why do people have to get so riled up everytime some one calls a car ugly or criticizes ones favourite car. If looks are indeed subjective, one should not be too bothered about others calling the car ugly. Right?

Anyways not dragging the topic further, I wonder how many bookings Maruti has managed for SCross. Hyundai has been shouting the figures for Creta, but haven't seen much about SCross from Maruti.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 08:51   #1174
BHPian

Got a chance to sit in it, when it was exhibited at Kochi. I think the space is on par with what is offered in Ciaz. The rear seats seemed a bit raised. The sales guy told me that this is an SUV so people needed to sit higher! So much for the NEXA next-gen strategy.
Did not have a commanding presence at all, I personally would not shell out 13L for the 1.6L engine. But I may be wrong.
Old 15th August 2015, 08:55   #1175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will never understand how hard it is to call a car ugly. It's just a piece of metal, plastic, rubber etc.etc. We are not calling any person ugly. Now that will be a politically incorrect statement to call a person, any person, ugly. But cars? They are just a metal piece. They are not made by God. If this ugly car feedback reaches the manufacturer, may be next time they will design a better car.
Good point there, but the definition of ugly may not be the same for everyone. Maybe I have bad tastes, that I find the S-Cross to be an elegant car, and indeed a better effort from Suzuki. I may love or hate something, but it’ll be foolish for me to believe that it’s the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
Lastly, I think it would have been ok if MUL had called S-Cross a hatch and sold at whatever price they wanted (after all we have 40 lakh rupee hatchces by Fiat and VW) but to call it a crossover? Hmmm... I tried my best to find a crossover in it but could not. There lies my grouse. Just my opinion. People may disagree and buy, That is ok. It is their money and their wish. I'm not questioning anyone's wisdom to buy this car. Whom am I to. I'm just questioning MUL's abilities or willingness at designing good looking cars. My tirade is against MUL and not S-Cross buyers.
That’s how the cross-over space in India exists – FWD hatchbacks with high GC being called as cross-overs. The S-Cross may be a big hatchback (and probably should be called one), but so is the case with something like a Mercedes GLA.

------

My only grouse with the S-Cross is that they watered down it a bit in the Indian version. For this price, similar safety specs as the international variant would have been ideal. Otherwise this is one Suzuki which I am quite impressed with.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 09:08   #1176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
pgsagar : Looks are subjective is a big euphemism for ugly cars. No one says looks are subjective when they refer to Civic, Lancer Evo or a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. I see this caption "looks are subjective" only when we refer to Ritz/Getz/Innova/Qualis/S-ross etc.
Opinions are subjective too, and everyone is entitled to one. Looks are subjective even for those Lambo's or Ferrari's or Evo's or Civics'. Else, from your statement, a Lambo = Ferrari. And the person who buys the Ferrari over the Lambo bought the Ferrari because it was the first showroom that he came across on the road when he went to buy the car ?
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 09:31   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Some years ago, most people disliked the looks of most Hyundais and even some of the Japanese.
With increasing ubiquity of these cars, people have gotten used to them now. Of course, it does help that most of these Asian Manufacturers have invested in European designers for their vehicles and this helps to an extent.
Personally, I didn't used to like the looks of this 2009 Superb vis a vis the 2006 Superb. But now, the shape has grown on me.
I have always disliked the excessive bling on the XUV right from Day 1. I see nothing to change my opinion.
The relatively plain jane looks of the earlier Scorpios was nice. The newest variant is downright ugly.
So, as Condor says, looks are a matter of opinion and likes and dislikes are absolutely free!
Live and let live. Better that way. Less argument and less stress all around!

End Statement: I like the present looks of both the S Cross and the Creta. And I like both the vehicles too, quite a lot indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 10:14   #1178
BHPian

Visited one of the NEXA showrooms in Coimbatore, it was swarming with customers even at 8 pm. Checked out the 1.3 Zeta as the Alpha for 2L more didn't appeal to me. The salesperson indicated that a lot of customers were enquiring on the possibility of retrofitting the Zeta's projectors to the other models. This was the first time I have heard Coldplay being played over any car showroom's speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-nexa1.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-nexa2.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-nexa3.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-s-cross.jpg  

batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 10:26   #1179
BHPian

Some Mahapurush has said "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" and it is certainly true for cars as well. Santro when launched was so ugly looking, Swift and Dzire when launched were ugly, Xlyo was painful to look at and now the story repeats with S-Cross.

My mind goes back to Jun 2008 when i purchased the newly launched Dzire and it was being panned heavily in all reviews on all forums - ugly looking, not a proper design, boot slapped on hatch, ugly toad and what not. But somehow i never found it ugly but found it very very practical. In fact i was one of first buyers in my office and in my city. There were some "connoisseurs" who either questioned me or threw questioning glances in a condescending manner but i was quite happy to have made my choice.

Since then till today, it has served me faithfully and frugally, visited all terrains in all weather conditions, lugged huge loads and served my parents and family members dutifully. My brother in law had Accent Viva but he started not liking it much after he saw the amount of luggage Dzire could swallow when we went together on family outings and most of the times he requested me to take my car.

It had climate control and steering mounted controls which were very practical and useful and in those times i could get a tankful for less than 1000 and easily make the 550 km trip to Jaipur from Chandigarh in a tankful which was cheaper than train fare.
Slowly those connoisseurs who were filling up tank after tank realized that it may matter how it looks but what matters more is practicality and usefulness and rest as they say is sales history.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 11:01   #1180
BHPian

Who says heads won't turn. My view may be biased as now I own one, but the same can't be said about the people on the road. Couple of people actually impressed and asked me about the car. At least people in my apartment now has a different opinion after seeing the car in flesh. Personally I am a fan of simple colours and went for granite gray which turns out to be blackish at night. Not sure but gray, silver and white suits better to s-cross.
sou_3749 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 11:05   #1181
BHPian

Even though I started off not finding the S-Cross particularly good looking, the more I look at it the more I think it is practical.

I have been looking to replace our Swift Vxi and this seems more appropriate than other cars. Reason, being it is low key; won't attract a lot of attention, and that is exactly what I am looking for.

Unfortunately, Kolkata does not have a listing on the Nexa Website. I have left my details with the Nexa number on the website and they said I would receive a call back.
johy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 11:08   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Even though I started off not finding the S-Cross particularly good looking, the more I look at it the more I think it is practical.

I have been looking to replace our Swift Vxi and this seems more appropriate than other cars. Reason, being it is low key; won't attract a lot of attention, and that is exactly what I am looking for.

Unfortunately, Kolkata does not have a listing on the Nexa Website. I have left my details with the Nexa number on the website and they said I would receive a call back.

Good point. Some of us dont like to attract too much unnecessary and unwanted attention. For such people this is a nice mild option.
Old 15th August 2015, 12:24   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Visited one of the NEXA showrooms in Coimbatore, it was swarming with customers even at 8 pm. Checked out the 1.3 Zeta as the Alpha for 2L more didn't appeal to me. The salesperson indicated that a lot of customers were enquiring on the possibility of retrofitting the Zeta's projectors to the other models.
Does the Zeta get projectors!?
Old 15th August 2015, 12:26   #1184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Does the Zeta get projectors!?
HID projector lamps only come in the Alpha variant.
Old 15th August 2015, 15:34   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Looks are subjective is a big euphemism for ugly cars. No one says looks are subjective when they refer to Civic, Lancer Evo or a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. I see this caption "looks are subjective" only when we refer to Ritz/Getz/Innova/Qualis/S-ross etc. I think this has become a big cliche. And I'm bored stiff of this cliche. Time to call a spade a spade.

I will never understand how hard it is to call a car ugly.
I agree with you on the hypocrisy. Just you are using a few wrong examples. The Getz, for its time is as good looking as a Polo. Well proportionate, simple straight lines. What was not and is not pretty is Santro/ Wagon R or swift dzire. Did these car not sell well bad despite the competition?
With S Cross, I completely agree that at times, looks are subjective. Its a bland design, I agree. The chrome at the front grill can be done without, I agree. So do alloys. Chrome and alloys can be taken care aftermarket. Is it ugly? Big NO. Its still a proportionate car and does not hurt the eye like Ritz or dzire.

I and my wife liked the car a lot. You are entitled to have your opinion on SCross. So do I. Hence proved, looks ARE subjective.
atnyia is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks