Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2017, 12:08   #7681
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Did a remap on my 1.6, a totally unplanned event after hearing a single remark from team BHPian Dr Naren over the weekend - Wolf got a remap that addresses the infamous bottom end turbo lag! All got changed in few days and I am , worth the money spent to make my 1.6 Alpha engine a perfect beast. Here and how: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4224666
lovetorque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 14:30   #7682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Did a remap on my 1.6, a totally unplanned event after hearing a single remark from team BHPian Dr Naren over the weekend - Wolf got a remap that addresses the infamous bottom end turbo lag! All got changed in few days and I am , worth the money spent to make my 1.6 Alpha engine a perfect beast. Here and how: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4224666

Congrats lovetorque. We're on the same page then I had mine remapped by Wolf Moto as well. The car is a beast now.

It's been about 4 days since I had the car remapped and I'm falling in love with it day by day. The grin you get every time you push down the A-pedal is priceless. Money does buy you happiness, after all

Here's my take after getting my 1.6 remapped :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4224666

Last edited by grease.monkey : 28th June 2017 at 14:48. Reason: Incomplete
grease.monkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 17:09   #7683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Both Maruti and Toyota offer Map My India navigation instead of much more user friendly google maps.
I guess, it all about the financials between the manufacturer and supplier.
I don't see an Android update coming up in S Cross soon. They might introduce android mirroring in new sales though.
1. Maruti DOES NOT use MaymyIndia - at least not in S-Cross. The Navigation in S-Cross is provided by HERE
2. What is Android Mirroring? I thought mirroring of some specific functions of an Android phone to an automobile's ICE equipment was done by Android Auto - which is a competition to Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink (both of which is provided in S-Cross). So, what do you mean by Android update not coming but Android mirroring coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
I was at the Maruti workshop a couple of weeks ago. I talked to the GM regarding the same. He said the systems appear to be the same unit but there probably is a difference in the amount of RAM or processor clock speed in the two. He told me not to be very optimistic about Android Auto for the S-Cross, Baleno, Ciaz, Ertiga & Brezza. I still do have my fingers crossed for it, hoping he is either incorrect or misinformed
I guess some one with some more background about the S-Cross and Ignis HUs (made by Bosch) can help confirm this. I hope the GM was bluffing with his limited knowledge just to cut short an informed customer's queries. I am not sure, but this hardware can handle Apple Auto, does the Android Auto need much better specs??
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 20:52   #7684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease.monkey View Post
Congrats lovetorque. We're on the same page then I had mine remapped by Wolf Moto as well. The car is a beast now.

It's been about 4 days since I had the car remapped and I'm falling in love with it day by day. The grin you get every time you push down the A-pedal is priceless. Money does buy you happiness, after all

Here's my take after getting my 1.6 remapped :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4224666
Congrats for the first one to get the updated remap. Your update came over the weekend at mid night was one point where I decided to get remapped! Btw I was not knowing that you were in tBHP

I never thought that I can get rid of the lag in 1.6 till last weekend! With the improvement at bottom end, we can safely say that 320DDIS is a complete package! I feel money worth spending after burning fair amount of money in ICE. Its more smile per Rs here
lovetorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 22:18   #7685
BHPian

Wow so many updates with regards to facelift, long journeys and remap fever on stock engine by many proud owners.

How the hell did I missed seeing these updates in the last three days? Well I just returned from a ~1100 km trip after having the opportunity of seeing glimpses of heaven in our very own backyard.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_5197.jpg

Curious to know where?? Please read the full report here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4225046

Last edited by Keynote : 28th June 2017 at 22:25.
Keynote is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 09:55   #7686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Back from Jim Corbett National Park clocking around 650 kms over 4 days. No complaints from the crossover, drove on river bed, gypsy trails and broken roads.

Completed 30,000 kms today
Sinarishi,
You are on a roll. Already 30k up.

Quote:
Did a remap on my 1.6, a totally unplanned event after hearing a single remark from team BHPian Dr Naren over the weekend - Wolf got a remap that addresses the infamous bottom end turbo lag! All got changed in few days and I am , worth the money spent to make my 1.6 Alpha engine a perfect beast.
Awesome Jiji.
You have a completer car now. (ICE + Lights + Remap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease.monkey View Post
Congrats Rahul
Remapped 1.6 is a monster on the highway.
Enjoy and drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I guess some one with some more background about the S-Cross and Ignis HUs (made by Bosch) can help confirm this. I hope the GM was bluffing with his limited knowledge just to cut short an informed customer's queries. I am not sure, but this hardware can handle Apple Auto, does the Android Auto need much better specs??
Most of the touch screen HUs in Maruti cars are from Bosch (Manufactured in China, I believe)
But the hardware details of each HU is unknown.

Last edited by kpzen : 29th June 2017 at 09:56.
kpzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 07:02   #7687
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Mr. Manoj from Kochi for sharing the pics:

The European grill was picked up from Poland. This has given a different character to the car
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20170630_065830.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20170630_065751.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 14:04   #7688
BHPian

Update - Maruti increased the labor charges for service across the range of vehicles. The increase in rate ranges from 30% to 50%. This is already effective pan India. Now with the GST impact on service tax on top of this, services are going to make us dearer by few more thousands!
MCP holders can relax, as this hike may not affect them, hopefully!
Not sure whether all other manufacturers are following the Maruti route.
lovetorque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 18:51   #7689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update - Maruti increased the labor charges for service across the range of vehicles. The increase in rate ranges from 30% to 50%. This is already effective pan India. Now with the GST impact on service tax on top of this, services are going to make us dearer by few more thousands!
Damn! I am scheduled for service tomorrow. :(
Old 30th June 2017, 19:11   #7690
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. That is some bad news. I had my car in the workshop 3 weeks ago and the SA recommended getting the service done after the body shop works were complete, I didn't go for the service as I am still a couple thousands short of the 30k mark. I am bound to get it serviced in about 2 weeks' time and will have to pay a premium for my negligence.

Last edited by sunejarahul : 30th June 2017 at 19:12.
Old 1st July 2017, 03:09   #7691
BHPian

Hi friends, wanted to give a quick update on my recent long trip. Since I do not have an ownership thread, thought it is best to share here.

We planned to do a long drive over the long weekend (24/06 to 26/06) to celebrate by birthday as well as get away from my maddening work over the last couple of months. Location was chosen as Pondicherry and once we fixed the location, my parents and sister's family also wanted to join. In a matter of 2 days, our weekend drive became a family get-together Due to some reasons, we changed the schedule to 25/06 to 27/06.

Day 0: 23/06 and 24/06
As a prelude to this trip, I wanted to get some things done
  1. Hub Centric Rings - I had vibration post 120 kmph
  2. Bosch Wipers - OE wipers crossed 1 year and were leaving more streaks than the water it was wiping
  3. Wheel Balancing and Alignment - Was not satisfied with the alignment done by MASS
  4. Get the car a well deserved wash - I was too lazy to wash it myself that weekend

On Friday, reached out to Hercules Tires (official dealers of Momo alloys) to check if they had Hub Centric Rings. Once they confirmed, I drove in and collected the rings set. I was exorbitantly charged Rs. 1200 - I did not mind that keeping in mind the peace of mind it promised to offer.

Drove straight to Bosch factory at Adugodi, where dear friend and Senior - BHPian kpzen had arranged for a set of 26"/13" Bosch Clear Advantage frameless wipers. The car was taken to the in house service center, the wipers fit, wiper fluid topped up and was back outside the factory in straight 10 minutes. Had a good conversation with kpzen and bid him bye to take up the next task. 10/10 for the service and promptness and tons of thanks to kpzen.

Drove straight to Madhus Tires, Langford Road. Got the balancing done from the roadforce machine and got the alignment done right after. Very quick and prompt - really liked the quality of service. No unnecessary talks. Bill was ~Rs. 1300 but again, the peace of mind it will offer was priceless. 10/10 for the job done.

On Saturday, took the car to a Sea Horse Car Spa, Kasturi Nagar. He quoted Rs. 400 for exterior wash including under-body and interior vacuum and cleaning. I thought it was reasonable and decided to give him a chance. He did a decent job overall and was very friendly and answered all my queries. 8/10 for the job done.

Some pics from the wash session.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-wash_1.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-wash_2.jpg

Day 1: 25/06/2017
Bangalore to Windflower Resort, Pondicherry & A visit to Paradise beach

Route: Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Thindivanam -> Pondicherry -> Windflower Resort

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-onward.png

The plan was for my sister's family and my parents to start from my sister's place (Puliyangudi, Tamil Nadu) at 4 am and for us to start at 5:30 am. Both of us started around 15 minutes late. It was smooth drive till Arcot in 6 lane highways and Arcot to Thindivanam was completely 2 lane roads with a few bad patches in between. We had an early breakfast at our usual Chinnar A2B. Roads from Thindivanam to Pondicherry were heavenly 4 lane roads again and I was able to hit some good speeds to check if there were any steering vibrations. Thankfully, even at unmentionable speeds, the car was rock solid - Thanks to Momo HCRs and Madhus.

Checked in to the Windflower Resort at 12:30. The rooms were clean and big. We took a tour of the resort, had some lunch (home made - Thanks to my sister) and took some rest. Around 4 pm, we headed out to the Chunnambar Boating - but were informed by the Resort reception that Sunday is usually crowded and they close the ticket counters at 2 pm itself. Dejected, we decided to move this to Monday morning and enjoy the Beach near the resort (5 mins from Resort back gate) and other resort facilities.

Spent around 2 hours in the Paradise beach. It was excellent for kids and adults as the waves were very less and beach was very shallow. Around 6 pm, we returned to the resort, had a good bath and spent rest of the evening in the pool with the kids. That was all for Day 1.

Day 2: 26/06/2017
Sight seeing and shopping in Pondicherry

The plan was to finish breakfast and leave resort at 9:30 am. We were late by 1.5 hours, thanks to cake cutting and laziness of my folks. We reached Chunnambar Boat House at 11:10 and managed to board the boat to Paradise Beach at 12:30. Spent around 2.5 hours there. This side of beach was not as good as the one near Windflower - thanks to the powerful waves and lesser suitability to swim and bath. We still had a lot of fun in the beach under scorching sun.

Had lunch at a nearby restaurant and headed to Manakula Vinayagar temple. The temple was beautiful and we had some peaceful time there. Next we headed to JN street for some shopping.

Around 7 pm, we headed to Promenade beach and had a good 1 hour walk in the rocky beach enjoying the waves and breeze. The place had decent crowd, but very less street food - I expected much more in a beach + tourist destination - especially fresh sea food. We then headed to Sri Kamatchi for dinner and headed back to the resort for a good night's sleep. We had to start early tomorrow.

Day 3: 27/06/2017
Chidambaram Nataraja Temple & Pichavaram Mangrove forests and back to Bangalore

Route:
Leg 1: Windflower, Pondicherry -> Cuddalore -> Chidambaram
Leg 2: Chidambaram -> Pichavaram -> Chidambaram -> Puthur

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-day-3.png

Leg 3: Puthur -> Chidambaram -> Virudhachalam -> Salem -> Bangalore

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-return.png

I had suggested that we leave the resort by 6 am, so that we can reach Chidambaram by 7:30 am. But my folks loved the breakfast at resort and did not want to miss it. So, we decided to have breakfast at 7:30 am and leave resort by 8:30. Again, we were late by 30 mins.

Left the resort at 9 and reached the Chidambaram Natarajar temple at 10:30 am. There was very little crowd and we got a very nice darshan and were able to attend special pooja at 12 noon. After having some tasty prasadam, we left the temple around 12:45 and headed to Pichavaram Mangrove Forest.

We reached Pichavaram Mangrove Forest Boating around 1 pm and boarded the row boat at 1:10 pm. We had chosen 1 hour package as we were hard pressed for time and had to leave on time for lunch. In spite of scorching sun, we had a very good boat ride through the mangrove forest. The boatman said he can take us to denser forest if we pay him extra. We agreed and he took a 30 minute detour and took us to some nice locations. If one has time, I will recommend a 2 hour or even a 4 hour boating + beach trip. I am sure it is worth it. We were back to boat house at 2:30 pm and left immediately for lunch.

Now, I had heard a lot about Puthur Jayaram Hotel, ~30 kms from Pichavaram. I wanted to try this place out as I was not sure when I will be in this area next. Convinced the family and drove to this place - a 40 minutes drive. We got a seat after 15 minutes waiting - but it was worth it. It is a very small and local setup, but the food was very very tasty. The fish curry and prawns and curd were the highlights.

With a full stomach, the drive back to Bangalore was supposed to be a challenging one. However, it turned out to be smooth - thanks to a 30 minute power nap after a snack stop at A2B near Attur. Dinner was again at our favorite A2B Chinnar. Started back from our lunch place at 4:20 pm and reached my home in Bangalore at 12:15 am including around 2:15 hours of break.

Conclusion

3 days of excellent vacation. Great location, great food, great company and most importantly a great drive - All that I needed to unwind myself and get ready for another round of nerve-wrecking work in the coming days.

I know, this was a very long post. Not sure if this is the right location for sharing this experience.

Note to Mods: I did not create a new thread for this, as I do not have enough good photographs to make this a travelogue. Please move to appropriate thread if you find this location inappropriate. This is my first attempt at sharing a travel experience. Please let me know how I can make this better.

Some photographs

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-mangrove_1.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-mangrove_2.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-mangrove_panorama.jpg
Vigkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 07:33   #7692
BHPian

After the GST the 1.6 S Cross is set to be the biggest beneficiary with a whooping 1 lac to be knocked off making it an obvious choice upwards of 10 lac.
hondacity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 08:22   #7693
BHPian

Had a dent on rear right bumper corner by an idiotic Tempo Traveller driver. Happened yesterday on outer ring road near JP Morgan.

Seems not so difficult fix. May have to be pushed from inside. I'm not able to reach and press it from inside. Will get rectified during next service.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-psx_20170701_081246.jpg  

Old 1st July 2017, 08:50   #7694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Had a dent on rear right bumper corner by an idiotic Tempo Traveller driver. Happened yesterday on outer ring road near JP Morgan.

Seems not so difficult fix. May have to be pushed from inside. I'm not able to reach and press it from inside. Will get rectified during next service.
Try pouring some boiling water over it. Look up in YouTube. It should get back to shape.
Old 1st July 2017, 09:44   #7695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Try pouring some boiling water over it. Look up in YouTube. It should get back to shape.
Yes. I have seen that. But, after pouring and making the fiber soft, I need to push it from inside to remove the dent. Not able to reach that area. May have to remove the cladding in wheel well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks