Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2017, 14:15   #6856
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Vitara Brezza stock tyre is 215/60 R16 hence I think 215/60 R16 will be good for S-Cross too. I hope alloy dimensions for Vitara Brezza and S-Cross are same. Sree73 what negatives you imagine with this up size for s-cross ? Thanks in advance
All variants of Brezza and S-Cross do not share the same wheel sizes.

Vitara Brezza comes with two wheel sizes. The top end is with 16 x 6.5J and 215/60 R16 is only on that top end. All lower variants are with the same wheel size of S-Cross 16 x 6J and the tyre size is 205/60 R16.

As I said, it's OK to go for 215mm tyres on 16 x 6 wheels even though the permitted max size is 205. I do not see any negatives with a 215/60 R16 upsize of S-Cross. It will have a speedo error of ~1.8%. That's all. Another advantage is a slightly improved GC of 6mm.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 17:08   #6857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZrider View Post
Overall with other similarly priced options around 15 Lacs, I would give the S Cross 1.6 Alpha, a 7/10 ranking with an Indian ownership perspective.
Great short review! Since you gave a rating, I am very interested to know which car in the similar price range would get a better rating from your perspective?
Old 6th March 2017, 09:53   #6858

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Great short review! Since you gave a rating, I am very interested to know which car in the similar price range would get a better rating from your perspective?
Thanks.

While I was finalizing on the S Cross 1.6, I was also looking at the Duster, Terrano, and on a whim, looked at the Honda City, VW Vento, Rapid.

Now there is nothing like the 'best car' as each has its pro's and con's, and one has to settle for most boxes ticked in his / her list.

For eg, in the Honda City, I found the textures of the cabin material (dash, trim, seats etc) to be better than the rest, whereas the 1.6 Alpha has lots of borrowed bits and overall a bit 'plasticky'. Likewise, I found the Vento/Rapid's cabin a bit cramped relatively; and the high speed mannerisms of the S Cross better (lesser body roll) relatively.

So for the kit I was getting in the 1.6 Alpha, and for the car which has been described quite well in this forum, and the quality of the ASS and the overall ownership experience I thought a 7 out of 10 is a fair score.
EZrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:19   #6859

Meanwhile had a quick weekend break in Kodaikanal in the 1.6. I have run about 12000 kms and have completed the oil change. So a quick update and some additional things.

This weekend saw very little traffic up the hills and I was in third gear for most parts shifting to second while overtaking. My friend who has an XUV 500 was with me and commented how silent the cabin is. I attribute a good part of this to the tire upgrade to Primacy 3ST.

So again, for those you are thinking about a tire upgrade, I strongly suggest you go for this. The added advantage is better 'feel'. My friend also observed that there is very little body roll and we felt comfortable going up and coming down instead of cars that wallow around in the bends and make you car sick after a hill trip.
Long back I used to tinker around with offset wheels, upsizing the tire etc. But these days I stick to OE size and just upgrade to a tire with a good rubber compound.

Another forum member had asked if the car is noisy. Once warmed up, I find the car quiet. Engine noise also seems to be quite well damped.

On an another note. The looks of the S Cross can have people polarized in their opinion. The curved shape of the bonnet might not be cutting edge and modern in terms of design. But it reminds me of another Suzuki cousin- the Hayabusa. I sure the rounded edges of the bike is not something which will make you fall in love with it instantly but I might risk a guess that this common design language contributes a good extent to aerodynamics and decreased turbulence and noise. Who knows.. they might have borrowed the same Hayabusa design team.

As for me, wish they had poached the entire Ducati design department!
EZrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:22   #6860
Senior - BHPian

Look at this video:

It is a video of android auto in action on the suzuki ignis. Does this mean, an update is out there which can give us this access?
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:56   #6861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Look at this video:

It is a video of android auto in action on the suzuki ignis. Does this mean, an update is out there which can give us this access?
Thanks for sharing this video. I will try to connect with my S-Cross today. However, the official site says that Android Auto is not yet launched for Suzuki cars, so this is confusing.

https://www.android.com/intl/en_in/auto/suzuki/
Old 6th March 2017, 14:08   #6862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks for sharing this video. I will try to connect with my S-Cross today. However, the official site says that Android Auto is not yet launched for Suzuki cars, so this is confusing.

I tried connecting my phone using android auto yesterday. The car will not get connected as the head unit is not updated with android auto.
Old 6th March 2017, 14:23   #6863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I tried connecting my phone using android auto yesterday. The car will not get connected as the head unit is not updated with android auto.
Correct. The current software version is 740_xxxxx. This version does not support Android Auto. if we could find out what is the version in suzuki ignis and then upgrade to that version, we could theoretically get Android Auto. I guess what this means is eventually, somewhere in the future, we could have android auto.
Old 6th March 2017, 17:37   #6864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Hi folks! JK Elanzo has been one of the most talked subject on this review. After driving 11000 kms, I have replaced those tyres with 215/60 R16 Michelin Primacy 3ST in my 1.6 S-Cross. Though JK Elanzo has got lot of bashing for being noisy, but for me this was never an issue. Important thing responsible for this change was road grip and issue of early ABS activation on account of deficient grip. This has safety connotations. Also at certain high speed car felt the need of better tyres.
Difference felt:-
- Car feels even more planted now.
- Earlier front wheels would get unsettled momentarily during sudden high RPM/ releasing clutch with high RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear, no such issues now.
- Steering slightly heavier now.
- Marginal increase in comfort is perceived.

Though I couldn't understand why 215/60 R16 is size wise slightly bigger tyre than 205/60 R16 whereas both are from Michelin
Post-purchase of my 1.6 Delta last year, I faced a budgetary constraint & did not opt for a change of JK tyres . I had decided to change them after 25,000 kms depending upon their physical condition.

I have driven these Elanzos around 20,000 kms with 70% usage in-city roads and 30% in Hills/Degraded road conditions. The condition of these tyres today is amply good with all tread grooves intact and no uneven loss of rubber from any side.

I have not found any serious issues with their braking or gripping, albeit only their Road Noise inside the car is what troubles me.

As you mentioned in your post that Road noise was never an issue, are you implementing here that poor noise insulation of the car itself is responsible for the Tyre/Road noise inside the car regardless of the quality of tyre installed (be it Michelin or JK).

If that is the case, I could continue my use of JK Elanzos till their complete useful life.
smitz4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 19:26   #6865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz4u View Post

I have driven these Elanzos around 20,000 kms with 70% usage in-city roads and 30% in Hills/Degraded road conditions. The condition of these tyres today is amply good with all tread grooves intact and no uneven loss of rubber from any side.

I have not found any serious issues with their braking or gripping, albeit only their Road Noise inside the car is what troubles me.

If that is the case, I could continue my use of JK Elanzos till their complete useful life.
I have completed 27,000 KMs on JK Elanzo on my 1.3 Zeta. The tyre is as good as new now also. I never faced any issue of braking / tyre performance except the road noise. I always run with Windows up with AC and music. So road noise is not an issue for me. If you plan to complete the useful life of Elanzo, it can easily do 60,000KMs
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 19:49   #6866
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz4u View Post

As you mentioned in your post that Road noise was never an issue, are you implementing here that poor noise insulation of the car itself is responsible for the Tyre/Road noise inside the car regardless of the quality of tyre installed (be it Michelin or JK).

Well these tyres have handled 390 Nm torque in Dr.Naren's car and there are many 1.6s running with these tyres

Regarding noise if insulation is insufficient, let's be prepared for noise. Now I hear engine sound more!

OK car felt planted in JK Elanzo, but now it feels more planted and grippy with increased braking effectiveness. With the given price JK Elanzo may be good. But these new tyres feels better clearly. Most important thing I considered for change was road grip. With lesser grip ABS also activates early and that increases braking distance. I have seen on slippery surface situation gets precarious. So I wanted to achieve best possible road grip.

Budgetary constraints are part of life, you may continue these tyres but IMHO you will have to have good understanding of your tyres and at times you may have to tone down your penchant for thrills and change at suitable opportunity
Sip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 19:53   #6867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZrider View Post

On an another note. The looks of the S Cross can have people polarized in their opinion.
In my opinion the projector headlamps and the led strip in the headlight unit do make the car look a bit better than the one in the halogen headlamps. Just hoped that the led strips were DRL's and the projectors were a bit brighter.
Old 6th March 2017, 22:31   #6868
Senior - BHPian

Drove the S-Cross 1.6 again over the weekend. It was the same demo car that I drove the last time almost a year back. It pulls well but the lag was a pain in the city. It is a good car for pedal to metal driving but you aren't going to make friends with the passengers if those gears aren't worked well. I really believe Suzuki should have tuned it better by sacrificing a bit of high end torque having a flatter curve. The demo car had 50k on the clock and everything felt tight over the horrendous joints on a newly opened flyover here (Palarivattom).

The TD car will get swapped for a new one quite soon as they don't keep any cars for more than a year and the sales adviser mentioned the lag is better controlled in the new car.

And 1.6 Alpha is now 14.5 lakhs OTR with all add-ons. So, one can easily land it for a little over 14 lakhs at Kochi and that presents good value I think.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 02:26   #6869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Correct. The current software version is 740_xxxxx. This version does not support Android Auto. if we could find out what is the version in suzuki ignis and then upgrade to that version, we could theoretically get Android Auto. I guess what this means is eventually, somewhere in the future, we could have android auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Quote:

So i checked with my SE here in cochin. There is an update available. This takes the software version to 750_xxxxx this gets you the android auto functionality. I am headed there this coming saturday for the update.

If you guys can check with your SE and then get an update it would be great.

Regards,
govigov
govigov is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 09:19   #6870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And 1.6 Alpha is now 14.5 lakhs OTR with all add-ons. So, one can easily land it for a little over 14 lakhs at Kochi and that presents good value I think.
Really? Did the ex-showroom price come down? Ex-Showroom Kochi itself is Rs 1257410, add to that road tax & registration which is 12.5% (I assume) is Rs 157176.25 & add to that insurance of Rs 38000 which easily crosses to Rs 14.52 Lakhs & this is without the add-ons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks