Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2016, 15:22   #6346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Only one issue I faced during the first week of ownership was the car refusing to start with a message "Key fob not detected". The key was kept at the cubby hole just to the right side of the push button start. The service centre addressed a loose coupler and this was rectified.
Do you use non MGA charger? Service manager had showed me a case study by Maruti where Non MGA charger interfered with key fob frequency which leads to "Key Fob Not Detected" message on MID.
Old 24th December 2016, 17:32   #6347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Hello everyone i need some advice from you guys. With heavy heart i have decided to let go my Scross 1.6 alpha for following reasons:

1) My work pattern have changed drastically and involves no Highway trips but only bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic from Borivali to Churchgate which usually takes 3 to 4 hours just to complete about around 30-35 kms.

2) To be honest 95℅ times i drive it alone and somehow i am finding it difficult to control this monster in bumper to bumper traffic without riding clutch continuously( Which is quite Hard and i avoid ) or changing gears 3 times in a minute

3) As metro work have started in Mumbai now i dont think traffic conditions are going to get better anytime soon.

4) not using my car on daily basis so it feels like i am not making justice with its high price tag.

5)i strongly feel you should own a car which satisfies your needs rather than showoff.

So depending on my needs now i need a compact city car which is easy to drive in cities and not dull to drive on some rare outstation trips. I am not looking for AMT's as it comes with high maintenance costs.
I am looking to exchange my car for Baleno Petrol alpha or Upcoming Baleno RS( fun to drive factor) or may be Ultra Compact Ignis. Any advice?
Also is it sensible to wish for around 12 lakhs for car which is yet to complete an year with 12k kms on odo?
Sorry for long post but instead of 3 4 small posts i combined everything in one
I hear you. My commute is 1/3rd of yours and even then I am honestly quite fed up - especially of the ever-increasing bikers who seem to believe that rules don't exist and the local authorities who are digging as if they are looking for oil. I have pretty much switched to Uber unless I am going out of town or at hours when I know the roads are empty. Have you done a cost-benefit analysis of how much that would cost on a monthly basis in terms of fuel saved and the loss you face in selling off your car. If I were you, I'd keep the car.
Old 24th December 2016, 19:03   #6348
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I hear you. My commute is 1/3rd of yours and even then I am honestly quite fed up - especially of the ever-increasing bikers who seem to believe that rules don't exist and the local authorities who are digging as if they are looking for oil. I have pretty much switched to Uber unless I am going out of town or at hours when I know the roads are empty. Have you done a cost-benefit analysis of how much that would cost on a monthly basis in terms of fuel saved and the loss you face in selling off your car. If I were you, I'd keep the car.

I agree with the last line. I would keep the monster.

Regards
Bharath
Old 24th December 2016, 19:21   #6349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Do you use non MGA charger? Service manager had showed me a case study by Maruti where Non MGA charger interfered with key fob frequency which leads to "Key Fob Not Detected" message on MID.
When this happened for the first time, I was not using any charger. The recent incidents, it was MGA charger only. So, this angle is ruled out.
Old 24th December 2016, 21:40   #6350
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone i need some advice from you guys. With heavy heart i have decided to let go my Scross 1.6 alpha for following reasons:

1) My work pattern have changed drastically and involves no Highway trips but only bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic from Borivali to Churchgate which usually takes 3 to 4 hours just to complete about around 30-35 kms.

2) To be honest 95℅ times i drive it alone and somehow i am finding it difficult to control this monster in bumper to bumper traffic without riding clutch continuously( Which is quite Hard and i avoid ) or changing gears 3 times in a minute

3) As metro work have started in Mumbai now i dont think traffic conditions are going to get better anytime soon.

4) not using my car on daily basis so it feels like i am not making justice with its high price tag.

5)i strongly feel you should own a car which satisfies your needs rather than showoff.

So depending on my needs now i need a compact city car which is easy to drive in cities and not dull to drive on some rare outstation trips. I am not looking for AMT's as it comes with high maintenance costs.
I am looking to exchange my car for Baleno Petrol alpha or Upcoming Baleno RS( fun to drive factor) or may be Ultra Compact Ignis. Any advice?
Also is it sensible to wish for around 12 lakhs for car which is yet to complete an year with 12k kms on odo?
Sorry for long post but instead of 3 4 small posts i combined everything in one
Sad that you are planning to let go off the monster

I was a person who wanted to sell off the 1.3 and buy the 1.6. I was planning to do so once I complete 35k on my 1.3 (27k now). But I have already invested 13L+ on the 1.3 alpha with the remap, alloy, tyre and speaker upgrade. I was negotiating with true value regarding the buy back price of the 1.3. But a TD reassured me that I wont be able to use the beast for Cochin roads.

I would love something with more low end torque, some car that would pull from the word go. Ford Figo has changed my life and my opinion on diesels. (My colleague's GT TDI reassured my love for non-whoosh turbo-kick diesels) Its so easy to to chuck this guy around town. It is only the poor front seat, whict is flat and soft, that makes me take the hippo on longer drives. Moreover my family is comfortable in the S cross, not in the Figo.

After the remap the low end torque has improved significantly. It can pull well in second and third, not in the fourth though at rpms less than 1.5k. Figo pulls, pulls and pulls, be it any gear at rpm more than 1200.

I would want a 1.6 in a whole different tune, one with a smaller VGT, that would pull from the word go, one with a lighter clutch and a crisper steering. It might not work in an S cross. Still would like to take a TD once more and consider upgrade to 1.6. Or

May be a wait for a Jeep Renegade 2.0 or the 1.6 MJD.
Old 25th December 2016, 00:34   #6351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I would want a 1.6 in a whole different tune,
Yes, I agree.
And, I'm pretty sure if you buy the 1.6, you are gonna remap it.

Quote:
one with a smaller VGT, that would pull from the word go,
Why ?
You should TD a remapped 1.6.

Quote:
one with a lighter clutch
Biggest problem with no solution.

Quote:
Still would like to take a TD once more and consider upgrade to 1.6. Or
Based on your requirement, suggest you to TD a remapped Ecosport as well.
Old 25th December 2016, 00:55   #6352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Why ?
You should TD a remapped 1.6.
Very hard to find a remapped 1.6 S-Cross

I do not know if anyone else ( except me and Mi10) has remapped their 1.6 on this forum. Also, I have never come across or heard of any other 1.6 remapped anywhere online.

I found out something today and really impressed about it. On the way to our farm, there is one steep incline and everytime my S-Cross ( stock map) would struggle to climb it if RPM is below 1500. Today I could climb effortlessly. I purposely stopped in between and still I could make it. I am planning to put a turbo downpipe with decat. This would make the turbo spool faster and I hope there would be some gains
Old 25th December 2016, 01:16   #6353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Very hard to find a remapped 1.6 S-Cross

I do not know if anyone else ( except me and Mi10) has remapped their 1.6 on this forum. Also, I have never come across or heard of any other 1.6 remapped anywhere online.

As far as I know, there are few remapped Scross 1.6
3 cars in Kerala (Dr.Naren included)
2 cars in Coimbatore
1 car in Bangalore
1 car in Faridabad
1 car in Chennai (Mi10)
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 01:41   #6354
BHPian

Guys, beware of going overboard on re-mapping.
I have had more than one experience (though not on an S Cross) of the gearbox not being able to handle the extra torque (with re-mapping/souping-up the engine)!
The wear and tear increases with the quantum jump in torque and the first sign of damage is a hum/whine from the gearbox!
After 40k to 50k km, couple of gearbox bearings, shafts and even the gear (wheels) will require replacement!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 25th December 2016 at 01:42.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 06:31   #6355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Guys, beware of going overboard on re-mapping.
I have had more than one experience (though not on an S Cross) of the gearbox not being able to handle the extra torque (with re-mapping/souping-up the engine)!
The wear and tear increases with the quantum jump in torque and the first sign of damage is a hum/whine from the gearbox!
After 40k to 50k km, couple of gearbox bearings, shafts and even the gear (wheels) will require replacement!
That's really sad to hear. I was actually very concerned about gearbox of 1.6 before remapping. All 1.6 JTDM 2 engines are mated with M32 gearbox from Vauxhaull. This is a good gb, but known for bearing issues. Also the maximum input torque of this gb is rated at 320 NM. This was one of the main reason and also opening of ECU which led to delay in my decision to remap. But, finally I went for it and so far no issues. Anyways it's too early to comment as the car has clocked only 6000 KM post remap. I have heard lot of positive reviews for TOT and few guys on this forum have run around a lakh KM without any issues.
Old 25th December 2016, 08:16   #6356
Senior - BHPian

Though Baleno is a different segment, looks like Baleno is the new bread & butter of Nexa (hopefully Ignis doesn't change it); currently a Grey 1.6 Alpha was offered for a huge discount of 1.56 Lakhs, which means, a 15.4 Lakhs car offered at flat 14L including basic accessories, extended warranty etc etc.

When the exshowroom price is Rs 1253252 & road tax at 15% works to Rs 187988 & the total adding to Rs 1441240, the car was offered for Rs 14L

I hope S-Cross is making a decent sale on numbers or the one they offered might've been a test mule
Old 25th December 2016, 12:00   #6357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Though Baleno is a different segment, looks like Baleno is the new bread & butter of Nexa (hopefully Ignis doesn't change it);

I hope S-Cross is making a decent sale on numbers or the one they offered might've been a test mule
Absolutely! I interacted with Sales Rep from multiple NEXA showrooms and all of them were unanimous with this fact. Baleno numbers are huge.

S-Cross 1.3 Zeta comes next - though the gap between Baleno and S-Cross is significant.

Each NEXA said they sell around 15-20 S-Cross cars a month across 1.3L and 1.6L. Don't know the breakup between 1.3 and 1.6 though.
Old 25th December 2016, 14:55   #6358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a rather drastic decision you have taken.
Have you considered travelling by train? I too live in Borivali and I can understand the pain of travelling to South Mumbai by road.

I understand the lure of travelling in the comfort of your own vehicle, but the investing a minimum of 4 hours (to and fro) is just not worth it when you can complete the same journey in 2 hours (again, to and fro) by train. And the road condition is only going to get worse.

Even if you get a smaller car, it will not solve your problem. Fortunately, my office in Airoli and I commute by motorcycle.

All the best.
Old 25th December 2016, 17:16   #6359
BHPian

Thanks to this wonderful review.
We booked an Urban Blue S-Cross 1.3 Zeta yesterday.
Again a huge thanks to the Mods and the reviewers/ownership reviews.
It was a big help in our decision making process.

Now coming to the tyre noise, I am a little concerned about it as multiple reviews talk about it. When I TD'ed the car yesterday I didn't find any intrusive tyre noise, but then it's too early for me to say, as I didn't take it out on the highway.
I am thinking I'll wait until I take the car out for a family trip and then decide if I need to change the tyres.
Old 25th December 2016, 19:36   #6360
BHPian

Completed 10,000kms in 58 days. Took this pic today in the evening at Mcleodganj, Himachal Pradesh. Will be taking her for 3rd free service day after tomorrow.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_4992.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks