Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 20:57   #3106
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
How is the 1.6 in terms of NVH? I td'd the the same and car was a bit noisy.
N: Noise is definitely present in a cold engine but it is not intrusive inside the car with window rolled up. Much better than VW diesels but Hyundai diesels have lower db levels, says the official review.

V: Vibrations are non-existent; excellent for a diesel. Nothing felt on the pedals, steering or gear lever.

H: Harshness. Again, very good. The 1.6 is a smooth performer.
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 21:49   #3107
BHPian

Releasing the first look of MY S-Cross

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20160128wa0002.jpg
Looks pretty imposing with those projectors, doesn't he?

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20160128wa0011.jpg
This is as Maruti / Suzuki is as it can get

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20160128wa0006_1.jpg
VIN says it is Oct 2015 Manufactured. Should have been lying around in the stockyard for 3+ months

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20160128wa0009.jpg
Just ~11 kms on the ODO, which is absolutely fine IMO

I will be visiting the stockyard on Tuesday / Wednesday to do a detailed PDI. I will definitely be carrying the Team BHP PDI checklist for sure. But, is there anything I need to specifically check during the PDI, especially since the vehicle has been in the yard for so long.

I am all excited to get my hands on this machine but will most probably have to wait till Feb 19th - that is only when we plan to take the delivery.
Vigkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 12:47   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Thanks a lot Pannag!!! Hope I have made the right decision to go for the 2015 1.6 paying 1.5+ lakhs over 2016 1.3. GTO's statement and Mi10's review along with massive discounts tilted me in favor of 1.6. Else I was sold for the 1.3
Absolutely! Although most DDiS200 owners on the forum seem to be very happy with their acquisition, at this price point and budget permitting, the 1.6 makes a very sensible choice indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Releasing the first look of MY S-Cross
Attachment 1466802
[i]Looks pretty imposing with those projectors, doesn't he?
He definitely does!

BTW, here's an update from the NEXA accessories team for those looking to upgrade to HID/Xenon headlights. The upgrade kit is available for ~ INR 12,600 and includes the bulbs, ballast harnesses, and not the projectors.

The guy I spoke to said warranty will be intact as this is a standard fitment. Again, need to ascertain if this is yet another dealer-level mod or a manufacturer approved change.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 15:58   #3109

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Engine & Driving Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

The S-Cross' overall NVH gets a 6.5 / 10 rating from us. Engine refinement on the move is satisfactory. On the other hand, road and wind noise filter inside the cabin at higher speeds. Those JK tyres are the main culprits for road noise on anything less than a perfect surface.

A reason to upgrade the JK Elanzo-NXT tyres would be the excessive road noise they make. The Elanzo-NXT is part of JK Tyres' SUV range:
I am taking delivery of my 1.6 Alpha in 2 days and was considering upgrading from JK Elanzo NXT. Most people suggest upgrading to Michelin P3ST or Continental MC 5. However all these are tyres for normal city driving whereas Elanzo-NXT is for off road as well as on road usage. Is that a fair comparison.

To top it, after market dealers are offering only 4k bit that to my understanding is the rate for the normal Elanzo, not the NXT.

I am ok upgrading to P3ST but not sure if it's at the cost of the not-so-frequent off-road performance. After all, we are buying a crossover not a sedan, isn't it.

My criteria for tyres is comfort, performance and less noise.
Old 1st February 2016, 16:31   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
BTW, here's an update from the NEXA accessories team for those looking to upgrade to HID/Xenon headlights. The upgrade kit is available for ~ INR 12,600 and includes the bulbs, ballast harnesses, and not the projectors.
Is this price for one or set of two ?

AFAIK, from the store, price of one HID headlamp cost is Rs 17200/-
Old 1st February 2016, 16:43   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Is this price for one or set of two ?

AFAIK, from the store, price of one HID headlamp cost is Rs 17200/-
He is mentioning about the cost of HID conversion kit not the projector headlight setup . But 12600 for HID conversion kit is costly as philips/osram costs 9500 at max in market and these are top of the line brands in market .
Safari_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 20:39   #3112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I have 205/60 R16 Continental MC5 on my Volvo V40 CC and have to say these are some of the best tyres I've used - leach like grip and incredibly silent. Highly recommended - for the price one pays, they are a steal. They seem to be pretty tough as well and are well suited for indian conditions. If they can work fine on this 200 bhp engine, I'm sure they'll be fine with a 120bhp S-Cross.

I agree, my ANHC is a completely different car after shifting to Continentals 195/60 R 15; hugs the road firmly now, feels much solid, smooth & noise free. The tyres are really suited for Indian roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
True that except for the price.
Michelin Primacy 3ST after price revision is at Rs 6800 per tire.
You must be enjoying the drives! How Michelin would fare in handling gravel paths & pot-holed/ broken roads? Thinking about mine DDIS 320 !

Posting a pic taken with phone camera, the front doesn't look that bad from this angle :
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-s-cross-front.jpg

Last edited by breezydrive : 1st February 2016 at 20:42. Reason: pic attached
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 21:15   #3113
BHPian

Completed 10000km of ownership in 5 months
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-bhp.jpg
Only sad part is the recent price drop. I would have gone for the 1.6 at 14.5L OTR. (flowchart wasted)

No problems during third service at Nexa Sai Service, Edapally, Cochin
Changed oil to fully synthetic 0W30 @ around Rs 600/litre
Wheel balancing and alignment with rotation of tyres done. Did a wax coat from the dealer - waxoyl for Rs 4.2k. They did a fair good job with the paint protection. Total cost around Rs 7500.

Still enjoying the hippo. Tyres (Yoko MEO1 225s) are holding up well. No issues with the engine. I get around 16-17kmpl with 50:50 in city / highway traffic. No minor irritants.
sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 23:41   #3114
BHPian

It took a little longer for me to come back and post!

Got the delivery of my S-Cross 1.3 Zeta on 24 Jan; completed 300+ KMs in city traffic (mostly non-peak hours.) Fuel efficiency shown is slowly increasing and right now, it is 16! Got some work done at 3M Baner over this weekend:
- External Pain Sealant
- Internal Gemkleen Protection +
- Windshield Film CR70
- PPF for Front Bumper (Corners), Door Handles and Edges

Not planning to change tyre / alloys for now as I will be driving mostly (~80%) in the city.
The difficult part for me is managing to keep the car under 2000rpm during the running in period. Its lot of patience! As I drive mostly at non-peak (just before peak hours) I get "typical" looks from other drivers, wondering why is he driving so slow; I do end-up picking up speed around 60-70 on some patches. Any advice during running in other than maintaining 2000rpm? Any speed restrictions?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_001-copy.jpg  

sagara999 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 00:57   #3115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagara999 View Post
Any advice during running in other than maintaining 2000rpm? Any speed restrictions?
Speed isn't the key measure always. It is how the RPM band is used during run-in period.

What I think is you have expose the engine to different RPM's for a shorter duration and keep in mind not to drive at the same speed for longer time. I mean keep varying the RPM continuously.

Give it a short burst in RPM like hit 3000 for a second or two and void excessive idling at signals.

Do not lug the engine (higher gear at a lower vehicle speed) and vice-versa.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:20   #3116
BHPian

Just completed 1700 Kms trip of Rajasthan covering Udaipur, Ranakpur and Jodhpur. Nothing better than combination of awesome highways of Rajasthan and 320DDIS. Will post detailed trip information soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-fb_img_1454384776289.jpg  

chaudharysaab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:29   #3117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What I think is you have expose the engine to different RPM's for a shorter duration and keep in mind not to drive at the same speed for longer time. I mean keep varying the RPM continuously.

Give it a short burst in RPM like hit 3000 for a second or two and void excessive idling at signals.

Do not lug the engine (higher gear at a lower vehicle speed) and vice-versa.
Thanks for the advice! I do end up going beyond 2000 rpm for a second or two, like at the time of switching gears from 2nd to 3rd especially. Is the rpm shoot up (to around 2500-2750) at gear switch not advisable? I do maintain varying rpm.
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:32   #3118
BANNED

Quote:
Is the rpm shoot up (to around 2500-2750) at gear switch not advisable? I do maintain varying rpm.
2700 during hear change isn't good IMO.

Maximum would be 2300 or 2500 but I'll suggest you to shift at 2000 rpm. That's where all the torque comes.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:37   #3119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the rpm shoot up (to around 2500-2750) at gear switch not advisable? I do maintain varying rpm.
Not at all bad. It all depends on whether you do that on a regular basis or only occasionally!

After all, one cannot keep looking at the RPM Dial and drive. Experience will help you judge this as you drive it over the next few weeks/months and you will know the ideal band to change based on traffic pattern and the roads that you are driving and the reason (where you need quick acceleration to escape a situation etc). You will eventually settle between 2000-2500 RPM.

Otherwise, 2500-2700 is harmless for this engine and make sure you don't really get into a habit of upshifting here. The FE would also take a beating due to this driving style.

Happy driving.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd February 2016 at 10:40.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:59   #3120
BHPian

Only sad part is the recent price drop. I would have gone for the 1.6 at 14.5L OTR. (flowchart wasted)

I feel so sorry for you sandygordon. The excitement was so palpable in your posts about the S cross 1.6 and the exorbitant price made you settle down for the 1.3. This is where I feel Maruti has let down their loyalists.
Nevertheless, S cross 1.3 is a competent machine too and I am sure you are having a great time with it. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks