Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 19:52   #1186
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Hi Flanker99, How can you say that the rattle sound is from outside? For me, I feel it comes from the dashboard - steering column section. Infact, during my first service the SA said he tightened some screws in the dashboard, as I was not allowed to go and see what he was doing, so am not sure on what he really did to get the sound disappear for a momentary period.

Hi aerohit, can you post us a location pic of the heat shield, it can help most Jazz owners who seem to have the same problem?
Old 13th January 2016, 22:22   #1187
BHPian

My car is back from 2nd service, the ODO read 1999 when we drove in. Apart from the usual, i pointed out to the rattle from the back. I showed them the boot carpet which had come loose. They were not sure if it was a cause. Got someone to sit in the boot while we drove. We could not replicate the front rattle but the back they figured was a body squeak. Picked the car up in the evening. The carpet was fixed back. They set the noise was from a body panel and has been fixed. I drove the car some 20 km post that and no sound. Hope it stays that way.
ritayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 10:12   #1188
BHPian

I am seeing a lot of petrol version of Jazz on the streets of Chennai. I think, we Chennaiites have taken to the car in a big way. Most of the versions I spot are either SV or V, which is a good thing.
Old 14th January 2016, 14:42   #1189
BHPian

I have been away for a while. I saw some people have reported problems similar to what I had experienced. Fortunately, most of these have been resolved in my Jazz during second service and a minor repair yesterday. Thought of sharing my experience if it might help somebody.
1) I was facing a rattle which seemed to come from the dashboard but couldn't figure out exactly where. It sounded to come more from the driver side. This was diagnosed by the technicians as something to do with one of the wiper arms. They apparently fixed it by adding some foam beneath where the wiper arm fits in. No dashboard rattle as of now. Will see how it goes forward.
2) I was also facing a rattle and weird squeaking noise from the rear side, especially over bad roads. During first service they did something but the noise returned and with the winters setting in it got worse. The culprit turned out to be the hatch cladding. It was creaking/rattling while moving over the metal part of the hatch. During second service the technician opened the hatch cladding and added small pieces foam to 6-7 places. Its been a month and no more sound, touchwood.
3) A strange squeaking sound appeared to come from the front right wheel while going over bumps. At first it was very minor but gradually got worse in a few days. I was worried if something was majorly wrong with the suspension. So decided to show the car to service guys. This was apparently due to a plate near the suspension getting bent due to a stone hit. The service guys apparently straightened the plate and now there is absolutely no sound. Relief.
4) The horn was a pain. It would just simply refuse to work at will. Reported this during first service, the wiring and connections were checked but this did not resolve the issue. During second service, the SA informed that Honda has noticed this issue and had issued some instruments and guidelines to correct this. They brought out some machines etc. I did not understand much of what they actually did apart from measuring the voltage at different points. But whatever they did, the horn has been working properly now for a month and sounds fine.
Other than the small issues which were thankfully resolved, the car is very comfortable and runs like a dream. The CVT is just butter smooth. On an open highway stretch, I touched 120kmph without even realizing it, freaked me out. After the initial 5000kms there is hardly any need to use the paddles for downshifting. No, it does not fly, but neither do I need it to. Only in the rare circumstances that I do need to quickly move past a truck, a couple of downshifts is more than enough. The FE continues to hover around 15-16kmpl by the tankful method within the city, which is more than what I expected for an automatic and even better than the manual Ritz we have at home. One more thing, the bluetooth and the HU work flawlessly. No dramas there. The audio set up is fairly easy to configure and the sound is also more than acceptable for me. The service though not outstanding, but all complaints have been attended to and all issues were resolved.
mandywanders is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 15:31   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Hi aerohit. I hear this noise at almost all speeds and all types of road surfaces. Over paver blocks (that have been laid unevenly), over concrete and tar as well. Even at speeds as low at 20-30 kmph (2nd gear) this noise is heard. It definitely seems to be coming from outside the cabin. Almost 100% sure its from the front underside. I tried recording it using my mobile but somehow its not getting picked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Hi aerohit, can you post us a location pic of the heat shield, it can help most Jazz owners who seem to have the same problem?
It will be easier to fix this by getting under the car, but if you cannot get under the car then open the bonnet and look behind the engine. The shield is made of soft metal hence it touches the car body and exhaust pipe causing rattle. Just bend over and squeeze your hands down there and adjust the shield by twisting it slightly. If it is too close to the body then push it downwards. If it is too close to the pipe then pull it upwards.

Careful: do not work on this when car is hot. Also, this is only for petrol honda, not sure about Diesel, though it may have similar heat shield.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-untitled1.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-untitled2.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 23:19   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Hi Flanker99, How can you say that the rattle sound is from outside?
Hi itzvicky201. I will just clarify things once again. I hear the following types of rattles from my Jazz
Rattle 1: From the left hand side B pillar. Seems as if some small object (screw?) is rattling inside
Rattle 2: Somewhere from the left hand side of the dashboard. Although I really doubt if I am confusing Rattle 1 with Rattle 2. I almost always travel alone in my car. It's only during the recent trip to Bhandardhara that I sat in the passenger seat. And that's when I realised that its Rattle 1 that probably existed. Couldn't hear anything from the dashboard. However when I sit in the driver's seat, it's Rattle 2 that I hear
Rattle 3: This is the one that has baffled me completely. This is that metallic rattle that seems to be coming from the underside, outside the cabin. I really cannot explain, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the inside. I actually heard Rattle 3 a few weeks after I had brought the Jazz home. However those days it was occasionally heard. I even pointed it out during the 1st servicing and one of the technicians even took the Jazz on a test drive. However neither of us heard it then. Hence the matter was forgotten. However after the 2nd servicing all these rattles have become quite prominent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
It will be easier to fix this by getting under the car, but if you cannot get under the car then open the bonnet and look behind the engine. The shield is made of soft metal hence it touches the car body and exhaust pipe causing rattle. Just bend over and squeeze your hands down there and adjust the shield by twisting it slightly. If it is too close to the body then push it downwards. If it is too close to the pipe then pull it upwards.
Hi aerohit. Really appreciate your effort in helping us out. However I believe the images you posted are of the 1.5L Jazz's engine bay and not the Indian's Jazz's engine bay. Or rather, I should be saying it should be the Brio's engine bay that would be right reference point. Anyway this is what I see when I look at my Jazz's engine bay, standing near the driver's door i.e. the right hand side of the bay. I tried touching every metallic object that was within reach. Nothing seemed to be loose though.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20160114_0938051.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20160114_0938191.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20160114_0938261.jpg

But, whatever the cause is of all these rattles. I have no doubt in my mind now that the quality of the new Jazz has taken a big hit. It really seems like a half baked product to me with all these dummy switches (push button ignition) and missing equipment (DRLs). All these things can however be forgotten/forgiven but definitely not these rattles. Linkway Honda (Chandivali) has this habit of calling atleast 2 times after every service and asking for rating on a scale of 1-10. So far I have rated the service experience as 10/10. However this time I have made up my mind, if they cannot address these rattles, I am not giving them any rating at all.

Last edited by Flanker99 : 15th January 2016 at 23:23.
Old 16th January 2016, 08:29   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Rattle 3
Yes those are sample images, i couldnt take actual pics.

I have marked the heat shield below, check for looseness/flex, you need to get your hand down there, its difficult but do-able.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-untitled.png  

aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 11:20   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Yes those are sample images, i couldnt take actual pics.

I have marked the heat shield below, check for looseness/flex, you need to get your hand down there, its difficult but do-able.
aerohit.... I really appreciate your prompt response. Yes, that part is definitely within reach. Infact, I did fiddle around with it yesterday and I thought that Rattle 3 was slightly less audible after that. However, I still wanted to be very sure if that was the correct part. It was rather tightly fixed though. I guess maybe the alignment has not been proper right from the time the car was manufactured and hence this rattle has been present ever since I got the car home. Will have a go at it once again next week. If nothing works will definitely point it out to the technician during the service.
Old 16th January 2016, 15:12   #1194
BHPian

I usually dont do knowledge exchange with dealers because it is hard to convince them and they have their own logics and theories. I have resolved all the rattle issues myself in the past 10 years. When it comes to the source of the problem, everytime the dealer was wrong and I was right. It was easier with Marutis because I just use to get get the defective component replaced myself, but Honda dont sell parts, although rare, you may have to break your head with the dealer and convince them to remove and re-tighten the heat shield properly which can only be done by getting under the car.

I will give you one more tip-
Get a zip tie from any hardware shop and tie the 2 gear cables so that their is tension between them. As you can see the 2 cables sit too close to the heat shield and its possible that vibrations are getting transferred from the transmission to the gear cables and to the heat shield / or/ vice versa. In my case gear shifter (interior) also use to vibrate along with the heat shield (exterior). Both the cables and heat shield touched each other which inturn led to what sounds like dashboard vibration. Twisting the shield away and tying the 2 gear cables together have completely resolved the issue. From an audible rattle to a bare minimum humming sound, which is fine because it is normal for transmission to vibrate slightly. The exact spot for tying the cable should be just where the red arrow is marked above. Dont overtighten the zip tie, just a few mm of tension should be enough.

Your Honda otherwise is very good and reliable, so do not worry.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 00:24   #1195
BHPian

So, this is how the Red beauty looks after a miniscule mod done at the nearby 3M outlet.

Had sourced some glossy vinyl (48" x 12") from eBay but, it fell a bit short as the length of the grill is 51". Did not want any joints (makeshift arrangement) that would be visible with the wrap I had procured. Also, throw in the high maintenance that the glossy wrap would attract so, settled for a 3M matte vinyl. Goes quite well with the matte finish of the Honda logo.

That being said, a glossy wrap would have looked spectacular!

For now, the wrap looks quite good when viewed head on but, the underside is a bit shabby. When I conveyed my feedback to the 3M fellas, the manager there offered to redo it. When I go to sort it out this week and if they do allow me to pay the difference over the matte one, I MIGHT get the grill wrapped in the glossy vinyl instead.

Price breakup for the interested parties:
Surface area : 3 feet

Glossy vinyl from eBay: ~350 (not used)
Cost of application for the customer's vinyl : 50/ sq. foot

3M Matt vinyl wrap : 250/ sq. foot
3M Glossy vinyl wrap : 340/ sq. foot

Another 3M outlet quoted a rate of 309/ sq. foot for the glossy vinyl wrap when I had enquired yesterday so, I am not sure if these rates are standard across outlets

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_2979.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_2984.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_2985.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 17th January 2016 at 01:36. Reason: Merged
MetalBuff is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 06:00   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
So, this is how the Red beauty looks after a miniscule mod done at the nearby 3M outlet....Goes quite well with the matte finish of the Honda logo.
+1. Looks really good as compared to the chrome one. If I am not mistaken the lowest variant of the Jazz does have a non chrome one. At the time of buying your Jazz did you consider getting your chrome one swapped with the non chrome one of the lower variant? Or is the non chrome one different as compared to the chrome one due to the later probably having to house the reversing camera as well?
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 07:19   #1197
BHPian

You can press and hold the steering mounted call answer button to call the last dialled number. You learn something new everyday.
SneakyFunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 08:04   #1198
BHPian

Hi Jazz Owners, Couple of queries here
May I know what is "Honda Car Care" - Is this Teflon Coating and Under body coating?
Honda Essential Kit consists of what are the accessories?
How much is the cost of Black PVC Seat Cover?
How much is the cost of Center Armrest? How much useful this accessory?
Thanks a lot!
Old 17th January 2016, 08:16   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Hi Jazz Owners, Couple of queries here
May I know what is "Honda Car Care" - Is this Teflon Coating and Under body coating?
Honda Essential Kit consists of what are the accessories?
How much is the cost of Center Armrest? How much useful this accessory?
Thanks a lot!
I can help a bit
The centre armrest costs circa 16k. Please refer to GKMahajan Sir's thread for the review. He is pretty happy with it though.

Quote:
+1. Looks really good as compared to the chrome one. If I am not mistaken the lowest variant of the Jazz does have a non chrome one. At the time of buying your Jazz did you consider getting your chrome one swapped with the non chrome one of the lower variant? Or is the non chrome one different as compared to the chrome one due to the later probably having to house the reversing camera as well?
Thanks, bro!

Honesly, I did not bother about swapping the grill of the Jazz E variant with the V's as I knew right from the word go that I would either wrap the grill in vinyl or plastidip it. Both of them are cost effective and reversible so, in case my parents ever notice the mod, I am safe .

Here's a picture of the E trim that was posted by RavenAvi in the initial pages.

Cheerio,
Shivang Gandora
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Last edited by MetalBuff : 17th January 2016 at 08:43.
MetalBuff is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 09:29   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Hi yousivakutti. Honda seems to offer many types of black seat covers. Some might be variant specific. Do check their website. Following is the list that was provided to me in July 2015. Prices might have changed and they could also vary by city.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20160117_092246.jpg

Last edited by Flanker99 : 17th January 2016 at 09:31.
Flanker99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed