Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2024, 15:04   #3271
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I don't know about difference between the Honda vs other CVT but I find it strange that Honda would need maintenance every 2 years whereas others are supposedly sealed for life (though it may still need oil replacement at some interval I guess). I have driven Hyundai/Kia CVTs and they are quite smooth and fuel efficient, may not beat Honda but still quite close.
Hi, I drive a 2017 Jazz and have pro-actively got CVT oil changed at around every 16-18k KMs as I drive in chock a block traffic of Mumbai. I believe this will help in longer life of the Car , if done by expert mechanics.
Old 15th January 2024, 16:15   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hello everyone,
My wife owns a 2019 Jazz VX CVT done around 15000 kms and she is super happy with the car. Her only gripe is the suspension, which she finds bouncy compared to my Innova Crysta.
Comparing the ride of the Jazz with that of the Innova Crysta is a bit unfair, don't you think!? What I've experienced is that the Jazz & even the City have quite a bouncy ride at highway speeds. Maybe something wrong with the platform - I'm not sure. The Jazz however makes up for the ride with its wonderful space management & refinement! Enjoy the car as it is.
Old 15th January 2024, 17:16   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Comparing the ride of the Jazz with that of the Innova Crysta is a bit unfair, don't you think!? Enjoy the car as it is.
While it's undeniably unfair to a considerable extent, the notable difference is hard to overlook. Currently, I've incorporated silicon buffers (Rogerab brand) on both front and rear springs, resulting in a substantial enhancement in ride quality. Space management is undoubtedly impeccable, making it challenging to find a worthy replacement for the Jazz.
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 13:00   #3274
BHPian

Hi folks. My 2017 Jazz MT petrol is in Honda service centre for routine maintenance.
It is 5 years 8 months old with 35000kms on odo. Service advisor has advised 54 months/90000kms schedule. I am installing engine guard which I ordered from Honda itself as boodmo/ car trends is costlier because of shipping charges.

Brake oil was changed last year. I have asked to check MT transmission oil, spark plus, drive belt condition.

Apart from the regular service, the advisor has included a few add ons which I have asked not to do unless approved by me. Kindly advise me if any of them are of any value:
1. Brake overhauling Rs. 1338
2. AC cleaning and disinfection Rs. 973
3. Motor care treatment Rs.756
4. HDS scanner by Honda diagnostics Rs. 625
5. AC motor blower cleaning Rs.478

Thank you.
Old 7th March 2024, 14:04   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Hi folks. My 2017 Jazz MT petrol is in Honda service centre for routine maintenance.
It is 5 years 8 months old with 35000kms on odo. Service advisor has advised 54 months/90000kms schedule. I am installing engine guard which I ordered from Honda itself as boodmo/ car trends is costlier because of shipping charges.

Brake oil was changed last year. I have asked to check MT transmission oil, spark plus, drive belt condition.

Apart from the regular service, the advisor has included a few add ons which I have asked not to do unless approved by me. Kindly advise me if any of them are of any value:

Thank you.
Boy! Looks like the service advisors have been asked to push these to us. I was "suggested" some of these during my 1-year service, and I politely declined. No regrets whatsoever. The car is great (and runs great) even without these.
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 08:50   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

I am installing engine guard which I ordered from Honda itself as boodmo/ car trends is costlier because of shipping charges.

Kindly advise me if any of them are of any value:

Thank you.

1. It’s optional, helps to remove brake debris. I never got it done.

2. Biggest scam in India. When the Cars are baked in India summers, most infections get neutralised.

3. Don’t know what this is, can’t comment.

4. AFAIK HDS scanning is a part of service and should not be billed separately.

5. The AC blower tends to gather dust over time, and it's recommended based on your driving conditions

It’s best to get the add ons done at FNG than at Honda dealerships

Every time I schedule my car for service, I find that these add-on or value-added services end up costing more than the actual service itself. I've consistently opted out of these extras. Unfortunately, in the last two service appointments, the service executives were so preoccupied with promoting these add-ons that they forgot to change the CVT oil, , which Honda recommends every 2 years or 20,000 kilometers.

Regarding the engine guard, could you enlighten me on its benefits and how much did it cost? I guess that it's included by default with diesel models of Jazz and Amaze but not with petrol models

Since Honda doesn't sell its parts in open, it's challenging to procure Honda components from platforms like boodmo or cartrends. One is constrained to purchase parts exclusively from authorized dealerships.

All these measures (add ons and restricting spare parts to dealership) which seems to be a part of "Honda Dealers Poverty Alleviation Program”
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 11:32   #3277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Regarding the engine guard, could you enlighten me on its benefits and how much did it cost? I guess that it's included by default with diesel models of Jazz and Amaze but not with petrol models

Since Honda doesn't sell its parts in open, it's challenging to procure Honda components from platforms like boodmo or cartrends. One is constrained to purchase parts exclusively from authorized dealerships.
Here is an excellent post, answering your questions on engine sump guard: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5409042 (Honda Jazz ZX CVT | Practical family city hatch!)

I ordered the same for my 2022 Honda Jazz, from CarTrends.in, and it was a perfect fit. Few additional pictures here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5426581 (Honda Jazz : Official Review)

Last edited by jaysheth : 29th March 2024 at 11:35.
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 16:25   #3278
BHPian

Need some suggestions from fellow bhpians. Our 8-year-old Jazz V CVT petrol (48k odo) has below external wear and tear issues ( mostly related to aesthetics) and are becoz of parking outside for several years. Wanted to know the rough cost of fixing them (my guess is 1-1.2 lakhs)?, where to fix them in Hyderabad? and lastly is it worth enough to do it at all?

1. Headlights became yellowish (cost: buffing 1k? or new HLs 10k?)
2. External chrome logos/badges got discoloration and some patches. (5k?)
3. External rubber beadings got discolored and some whitish patches. (cost: 5k?)
4. Scratches on both bumper corners, a few screws on bumper edges (used as extra support when bumper clips are damaged but an eye sore when observed from very near) and few minor dents to bonet and right side. Thinking of Denting and fullbody painting (cost: 30-40k?)
5. Rustings at a) running board b) under bonnet hood (internal) (cost: 2k??)
6. ratling sounds and low NVH. (Fixable?)
7. Rats entering the cabin and reverse camera & remote lock, unlock not working due to the rat bite. (cost: 5-10k)
6. Side ORVM case is coming off (when manually pulled) due to broken clips (cost: 6k).
9. Dull looking alloy wheel and few scratches to one of them (cost: 30-40k). Machine/Diamond cut alloy wheels in my other car elevates look of the overall car. So, this is in my wishlist from very long time.

All the mechanical things like engine, transmission, AC, suspension, brakes, tires etc are in very good shape. I am thinking fixing above would improve the aesthetics and could make the car serve us well for another 3-4 years without feeling old. Am I missing anything? any major/costly repairs I need to expect during 8 to 12 years age of the car?

Last edited by sirius : 19th April 2024 at 16:29.
Old 13th May 2024, 12:05   #3279

Hi everyone,

I am first time car buyer.
Have come across a 2019 VX CVT Jazz in Bengaluru with 1.1L KM on the odo. Single owner (technically 2nd with ownership transfer from company) car with regular Honda Service maintenance. Have a couple of questions that I am trying to answer to evaluate the deal, would appreciate any help from the forum (answer any of the sub questions you can help with)

My target usage: Annual run ~10K with 60% BLR city use, 40% highway. Plan to keep the car for 3-5 years
  1. What is the average life of the CVT of the Jazz? I plan to use the car for 5 years/ 50K - can I be 99%+ sure that the CVT will not break on me (subject to regular servicing etc.). Do you personally know of Jazz CVTs with 10 years/ 1.5L with no major repair costs?
  2. I would be requesting the service history of the car - what all line items should I specifically look out for? Are there any issues specific to the 2018-2020 Jazz models?
  3. The current owner said they are spending 12-16K on maintenance every 6 months at the Honda service centers. a) Does this sound in-line with what Jazz CVT owners are seeing? b) If I were to choose a local mechanic, how much cost can I save?
  4. What other costs can come up in the next 5 years/ 50K - a) the current tires are 2yrs/ 30K, so another 3yrs/ 10-15K left in them. b) would the suspensions be good for my use?
  5. The asking price currently is around 4.75L (car in general is well maintained - no visible body scratches/ damage etc.). Subject to service history and 3P inspection, I feel the price is reasonable but certainly on the higher side? It is certainly not a 'steal deal' etc. What are your thoughts?
  6. Any recommendations for a mechanic in Whitefield / Marathahalli area who help with diligence on the car? (specifically the CVT which has the most value for me and is the weakest link in making this a decent deal)

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th May 2024 at 12:10. Reason: Typo corrections
Old 13th May 2024, 13:06   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaliwal View Post
Hi everyone,

Have come across a 2019 VX CVT Jazz in Bengaluru with 1.1L KM on the odo. Single owner (technically 2nd with ownership transfer from company) car with regular Honda Service maintenance. Have a couple of questions that I am trying to answer to evaluate the deal, would appreciate any help from the forum (answer any of the sub questions you can help with)

My target usage: Annual run ~10K with 60% BLR city use, 40% highway. Plan to keep the car for 3-5 years
  1. What is the average life of the CVT of the Jazz? I plan to use the car for 5 years/ 50K - can I be 99%+ sure that the CVT will not break on me (subject to regular servicing etc.). Do you personally know of Jazz CVTs with 10 years/ 1.5L with no major repair costs?
  2. I would be requesting the service history of the car - what all line items should I specifically look out for? Are there any issues specific to the 2018-2020 Jazz models?
  3. The current owner said they are spending 12-16K on maintenance every 6 months at the Honda service centers. a) Does this sound in-line with what Jazz CVT owners are seeing? b) If I were to choose a local mechanic, how much cost can I save?
  4. What other costs can come up in the next 5 years/ 50K - a) the current tires are 2yrs/ 30K, so another 3yrs/ 10-15K left in them. b) would the suspensions be good for my use?
  5. The asking price currently is around 4.75L (car in general is well maintained - no visible body scratches/ damage etc.). Subject to service history and 3P inspection, I feel the price is reasonable but certainly on the higher side? It is certainly not a 'steal deal' etc. What are your thoughts?
  6. Any recommendations for a mechanic in Whitefield / Marathahalli area who help with diligence on the car? (specifically the CVT which has the most value for me and is the weakest link in making this a decent deal)
  1. mine is about to complete 8 years in the august. I bought last year in preowned route at 46k odo. it is now 49k odo. So far no issues mechanically. Recently inspected by spinny and cars24 and they also certified the fitness. i guess it will be solid for next 3-4 years easily. in your case it might be different as the odo is >1L odo
  2. .
  3. Yeah even for me it costed 12k for general service. no repairs are done. But this is not much different compared to Hyundai. Servicing interval for any car is generally 10k kms or 1 year. but for older jazzs it was 10k kms or 6 months. but service advisor said if the usage is less than 10k and use high quality synthetic engine oil, we can do it yearly. Also better stick to official service center to have authentic fluids especially cvt oil etc.
  4. Apart from tyres, battery may go caput in 4-5 years. suspension depends on how the previous owner used it. my 6 years old grand i10 is on stock suspension and brakes and no signs of any need to change it yet. but my jazz got suspension and brake pads changed by previous owner. Also consider adding sun film if the larger glass area is a challenge for AC to cool the cabin.
  5. I think the price is good if the car's condition is good. I bought mine last year at 6L from cars24. You will be getting the latest hardware (touch HUD, android auto, better cameras, cruise control etc). only -ve is 1L+ odo but i heard from mechanics that hondas and toyota mechanical components can easily last double the usage compared to other manufacturers. but better get it thoroughly inspected by a car mechanic.
Old 13th May 2024, 13:06   #3281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Have come across a 2019 VX CVT Jazz in Bengaluru with 1.1L KM on the odo. Single owner (technically 2nd with ownership transfer from company) car with regular Honda Service maintenance.
  1. The current owner said they are spending 12-16K on maintenance every 6 months at the Honda service center.

It is certainly not a 'steal deal' etc. What are your thoughts?

It is lot of km on odo + second owner in RC. Please negotiate with these points in mind. If you are not sure about fair price then check cars24 app by putting dummy info similar to this car and get a range. Usually the range they provide is what the market situation is.

Also, I don't own Jazz but I'm surprised that current owner is having to spend so much every 6 months in regular service ! Do you have the service records to know where the money is being spent? I am not sure a 5 year old Jazz would need that kind of maintenance. We have City and Creta CVT in family and such high maintenance is unheard of.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 13th May 2024 at 13:10.
Old 13th May 2024, 16:38   #3282
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi everyone,
What is the average life of the CVT of the Jazz? I plan to use the car for 5 years/ 50K - can I be 99%+ sure that the CVT will not break on me (subject to regular servicing etc.). Do you personally know of Jazz CVTs with 10 years/ 1.5L with no major repair costs?
  1. The current owner said they are spending 12-16K on maintenance every 6 months at the Honda service centers. a) Does this sound in-line with what Jazz CVT owners are seeing? b) If I were to choose a local mechanic, how much cost can I save?
If you get your hands on the service history, do check if all routines on the transmission have been undertaken. The CVT is not a problematic piece of equipment so, unless there are significant red flags, no issues with it.

Spending 12-16k on a Honda, every six months is not normal. Either the SVC is fleecing owners who couldn't care less, or there is some issue with the car. I have had both the City and the Jazz with me and have used each for more than 70k. They epitomise the Japanese cars and are typical fill it-shut it-forget it vehicles.

Honda rubber does not age well (especially the 2015+ Jazz). So check if all belts, window beadings etc have been replaced recently.

If you go outside at a FNG, you will easily save 40%. Also, you can easily transition to annual servicing.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 13th May 2024 at 16:48.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 16:50   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Honda rubber does not age well (especially the 2015+ Jazz). So check if all belts, window beadings etc have been replaced recently.
Yes, even on my jazz, the window beadings and other rubber & plastic parts faded away. Service center guys said each window beading will cost 2k+. To replace all the external rubbers/plastics, it looks like costs 20k+ from service center. Is there any cost effective way to replace them or repolish them?
Old 13th May 2024, 17:21   #3284

Hello all,

I own a Honda Jazz V CVT (Model Year 2017) which has recently crossed the 50k km milestone. I would like to share my thoughts about its ownership.

A brief history of ownership
Jazz was our first family car, which we purchased in Bengaluru, back in 2017, a few weeks before my 18th birthday. Back in late 2016, we were on the lookout for a small family hatchback, with the main priority being automatic (comfort in BLR traffic).
We looked at Suzuki Celerio, but were disappointed with the jerky AMT transmission and lack of space in the back seat for a 6ft 1inch tall person like me. We moved onto the next segment, and the next car was Ford Figo, which we really liked and considered. It was compact, had better space than Celerio and had a solid build quality. While window shopping at Magnum Honda Showroom, we came across Jazz, and were impressed with the roomy cabin. We decided to stick to premium hatchback segment and looked at other contenders.
The first was Hyundai Elite i20. It had better build quality and interiors than Jazz, but the automatic variant was pricey (costed over 11.5L OTR). We then moved to Suzuki Baleno. Baleno was as roomy as Jazz, had better features and being a Suzuki, we expected low maintenance. We skipped Baleno as it had a huge waiting period of 6+ months (according to Kalyani Nexa) and we couldn't wait that long, as we needed a car immediately.
We took delivery of Golden Brown metallic Jazz on Republic Day, 2017, right after my first semester in college.

During the first few years, till the end of 2019, the Jazz was barely used. It was parked during the weekdays as my parents preferred public transport to commute to work (convenient) and would take the car out only on weekends for short road trips. I would occasionally take the car for a spin, when I would go home during semester breaks. By the end of 2019, it had barely crossed 20k km mark, most of which was due to highway runs.

Between 2020-2022, I was at home, due to Work From Home, and we got more opportunities to drive the car in city and longer roadtrips. By mid 2023, Jazz had clocked 42000kms on the odometer

Post inheritance
In September 2023, I inherited the Jazz, from my parents after they upgraded to a new car, Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid (Link to my review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5669226). Since it was our first car, I am pretty emotionally attached to it. I drove the car, to Hyderabad, where I was posted for work. In the past six months, it had clocked almost 9000kms. The roads in the areas, where I live are pretty smooth and wide, and driving is a joy.

It recently crossed 50000km mark on it's 7th birthday, and here are the issues we faced with it, over seven years of ownership
  • Had to fix engine wiring twice as rats chewed their way through, while it was parked in our basement parking. Weirdly, Honda does not have engine guard for Jazz, but does provide one for all other models like City and Amaze.
  • Had to change entire set of tyres once at around 25000km mark and another two tyres, as they were brutally damaged when we kept taking it to our farmland. The roads were filled with sharp stones and the tyres were weak after getting punctured multiple times.
  • Had to get the catalytic converter replaced once, as it was damaged when the car scraped over a monstrous bump on the road
  • Had to replace the front bumper twice (once when I hit the curb to avoid a drunk guy on the street), (second time, when our driver misjudged a stone on an unpaved road and scraped over it, damaging the bumper)
  • Had to replace the rear fender once after an autorickshaw rammed it, in Hyderabad.
  • Had to replace front left suspension's arm as the ball joint was broken. Weirdly this was missed by our regular third party garage during three services, but was caught by Honda service. According to Honda service, the ball joint was broken a while ago, and wasn't a recent issue. The car still ran like a charm, even with a broken suspension arm.
Apart from these issues caused by accidents, our Jazz never had any issue. Legit, fuss free ownership.

Characteristics of the car
- Engine: Peppy engine mated to CVT transmission. Faced no issues in city. Really smooth and silent drive, as long as you go easy on the gas pedal. CVT taught me how to drive patiently and I manage to squeeze good mileage too. On an average, I get 14-15kmpl in city and around 19kmpl on ORR or expressways. Sport mode unlocks a different characteristic in this car. The engine runs at a higher rpm, and there’s more than enough power to pull the car to triple digit speeds from city speeds quickly. It’s fun using sports mode on expressways with light traffic like ORR in Hyderabad. Managed to touch 150kph without breaking a sweat.

Handling: The suspension isn’t particularly extra ordinary. At city speeds it’s fine and does its job well. Potholes are usually absorbed but a mild thud is usually felt in the cabin. At high speeds, it doesn’t wallow much and you can drive with confidence. You wouldn’t feel confident pulling through a corner at high speeds though.

UX: The interiors are slightly driver oriented. - The dashboard is slightly inclined towards the driver. Perks of it- driver can feel all the airflow, very beneficial when driving alone during summers. The sad part is, co passengers might not get enough AC.
- There are no rear AC vents and it does take time to cool the large cabin.
- Major pain point with AC controls is that they are touch screen and not physical controls. It’s very distracting to set the controls while driving.
- The V variant comes with a 5 inch non touch screen infotainment. It serves my purpose well. I use it to attend calls (no issues with call quality) and for listening to music (audio quality is good enough). I do not miss CarPlay/Android Auto for Navigation due to the next point
- Cup holder at driver AC vent : I find this to be a convenient phone holder, with added cooling. I pair my phone via Bluetooth and can quickly glance at directions. My phone tends to get hot with navigation on, especially on a hot summer day, and the AC vent keeps it cool. Really nifty hack.
- Power windows work even after turning off the engine off. As long as, none of the doors are opened yet, you can use the power windows for a few minutes. Miss this feature on other cars.
- No speed sensing locks: For some weird reason, a 10.5L car lacks this basic safety mechanism. The doors don’t auto lock themselves whatsoever while driving. There were times, when I had to centrally lock the car while driving at moderate city speeds, because I forgot to lock the doors in the start.
- Spacious interiors : not gonna lie, but they are actually quite roomy. My cousins (6ft 5in, 6ft 3in, 6ft) and I (6ft 1inch tall) can comfortably travel without compromising on legroom. The rear bench does lack some under thigh support, but so far none of my rear passengers have complained.
- Rear seatbelt’s: The buckle lock for the seat belts is recessed and sometimes get lost beneath the covers, especially for the middle passenger. It’s been 7 years and I still haven’t figured out a way to pull it back in place without unzipping the covers.

Photoshoot
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20210718_163422_original.jpeg
The Jazz parked in our farm

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20211114_153601_original.jpeg
Jazz when it completed 25k kms

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_2076.jpeg
50k kms mark right before it’s 7th birthday

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_0269.jpeg
Jazz parked outside Telangana Secretariat

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1750.jpeg
Rear three quarters

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_2081.jpeg
LED detailing in the tail lamps

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_2634.jpeg
Spotted it’s doppelgänger in Orlando, Florida, USA

At the end of nearly 7.5 years of ownership , I am pleased with it. I plan on continuing to use it as my daily driver for at least another 6 years. I am sure my Jazz will soldier on for the next years.

Signing off.
pappyrohit is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 17:32   #3285
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
Yes, even on my jazz, the window beadings and other rubber & plastic parts faded away. Service center guys said each window beading will cost 2k+. To replace all the external rubbers/plastics, it looks like costs 20k+ from service center. Is there any cost effective way to replace them or repolish them?
Not that i'm aware of. But you could try aftermarket sites for sourcing. fitment is no great shakes and can be a DIY.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks