Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 06:37   #3196
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Hi Arwin07, What do you mean by GPS Card for navigation.
I also have the same question about warranty as you.

Does the CVT change the answer to Yes for extended warranty.
1. Pre-lift VX Jazz came with in-built MapMyIndia navigation which needs a GPS card. Not worth it. I am using my smartphone for navigation as rest of the infotainment system is good and I didn't want to spend for third party upgrade with Android auto.

2. I have Cars24 warranty for which covers specific parts for 6 months and 1 year. As you have CVT, I would suggest you get the extended warranty.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 23:42   #3197
BHPian

Strange experience with steering

Intention of this thread: To share my rather strange experience in the recent months regarding steering behavior and seek other owners experience. Mods, please merge if deemed necessary.

After one of the OEM tires went burst (31K on odo) , i changed all the tires in my Honda Jazz CVT, post which i have covered 7K+ kms so far. Both outgoing and new tires are MRF ZVTV, clearly, missed the chance to upgrade to better rubber. (Tire upgrade done at Madhus Tyres, Wilson Garden, Bangalore).

Nevertheless, after about 2K+ kms in new tires, started experiencing minor left-side pull and the steering wheel refused to return to a proper steady position as it should ideally be. I took to Magnum Honda on Kanakapura road, where my regular SA test-drove the car and advised wheel alignment. I was not completely convinced to go for WA again, since after fitting new tires WA/WB was already done, and, the car had just covered 2K kms post this...however, i still went ahead and got it done at Magnum.

Subsequently, things were as normal. During recent highway drives i observed that while driving in speeds around 140kmph, the steering response was not as confidence inspiring and felt a little disconnected. This was in D mode. However, for speeds till 120, the steering response was normal. It was a strange experience - though the car did not under/over steer, steering response was different ~140 than at around ~120...all this in D mode.

During return journey via the same route, for a few kilometers in D mode, had same above experience, but then i switched to Sports mode. In S mode, the steering response was consistent both at speeds less than and greater than 140. To test, i came to a halt, started in D mode, and after some distance switched to S mode for high speed test. The steering response was normal as seen in a Jazz.

Recent cars have dedicated modes like Eco, Normal and Sports. In such cars, on engaging Sports mode, the steering characteristics change along with throttle response (atleast as per my understanding). But, Jazz does not have such modes. The gear selector can be pushed to S, which makes the car hold on to the gear(step in CVT) and allow the engine to revv all the way to redline. I enjoyed redlining the car and engine roar was pleasing ..why listen to music...just revv the Vtec Yes, it's really fun - for those who think Jazz is not fun to drive, please engage S mode, use the paddle shifters and try, you'll grin ear to ear.

Dear members, can you please share:
(a) Your experience - is there really a difference in the steering response in D and S modes that you have observed at high speeds? (Jazz/City/WRV owners can throw more light)

(b) I believe there isn't, but, could there be some issue with my car's steering which is not very pronounced?

(c) I will test this behavior again, but, not sure if i'm missing or overlooking something. Or, may be i'm overthinking.!

Thank you all in advance.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse high speed driving and mostly adhere to speed-limits. For testing various scenarios, had to reach higher speeds when conditions permitted and for limited period.

Last edited by VikramCS : 5th January 2023 at 00:08.
Old 10th January 2023, 19:14   #3198
BHPian

Re: Strange experience with steering

(a) Your experience - is there really a difference in the steering response in D and S modes that you have observed at high speeds? (Jazz/City/WRV owners can throw more light)

(b) I believe there isn't, but, could there be some issue with my car's steering which is not very pronounced?

(c) I will test this behavior again, but, not sure if i'm missing or overlooking something. Or, may be i'm overthinking.!

I have '17 Jazz CVT and have never observed any difference in D or S mode with respect to steering. The only time I had felt any difference was when tyres were upgraded to 195/60/15's from the factory default.
jaysonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 11:56   #3199
BHPian

Any bhpian experience about remapping/tuning the Jazz CVT?
The poor low end torque and rubber band effect makes the car a pain to drive in the city.
Old 9th February 2023, 16:02   #3200
Senior - BHPian

35k Service Update
31k Service & Tire replacement Update here: - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5370414 (Honda Jazz : Official Review)

Issues
- Rear Window power switch had gone kaput
- No other issues

Service Details
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-34k-pg1.jpg
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-34k-pg2.jpg
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-34k-pg3.jpg

Observations
- Rear power window switch, I repaired & fixed as Honda did not have the motor
- They recommended replacing the front brake pads. I replaced it'
- There was a minor dent on the boot lid; since the metal seemed to exposed, got it painted
Before
Honda Jazz : Official Review-34k-jazz-boot-lid-damage.jpeg

After
Honda Jazz : Official Review-5feb23-boot-lid-fixed.jpg
- Replaced the wiper blade
- Replaced the transmission oil based on 2 years duration.
- The key remote failed; even after the battery was replaced, it did not work.
I found a YouTube Video addressing the exact same problem asking me to short, very imprecisely, leg 2 & leg 7/8. Amazingly it worked
- Honda charged me to inspect this; did not identify the problem or suggest any fix; did not ask me if they can replace the battery. Nothing. Just returned the car with the problem remaining but a CYA note in the service history!

Video here:

Statistics
Honda Jazz : Official Review-screenshot_20230209_160529_my-cars.jpg
Honda Jazz : Official Review-screenshot_20230209_160535_my-cars.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-35k-jazz-pg3_my-cars.jpg  

Last edited by sridhu : 9th February 2023 at 16:19.
sridhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:36   #3201
BHPian

Guys got below service estimation for 2021 Jazz 4th service (first paid). It's AT model top end variant with 14k KMs on Odo.

In my experience I was able to spot few unwanted add ons. But didn't understand others. Please help.

Oil service 5500/- ---> 5.5k for 1.2 engine is too high IMHO.
Throttle body cleaning 550/- ---> Is it needed ?
Wheel alignment 750 ---> Not needed
Wheel balancing 650 ---> Not needed
Brake caliper overhauling 1150/- ---> Why Caliper overhaul at 14k KMs ?
Motor care 550/- ---> What's this ?
AC vent cleaning 750/- ---> Not needed
Rodent repellent 850/- ---> Not needed
Total amount is 10750/-

Last edited by Ritz2010 : 14th February 2023 at 12:39.
Old 14th February 2023, 13:18   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post

Oil service 5500/- ---> 5.5k for 1.2 engine is too high IMHO.
Throttle body cleaning 550/- ---> Is it needed ?
Wheel alignment 750 ---> Not needed
Wheel balancing 650 ---> Not needed
Brake caliper overhauling 1150/- ---> Why Caliper overhaul at 14k KMs ?
Motor care 550/- ---> What's this ?
AC vent cleaning 750/- ---> Not needed
Rodent repellent 850/- ---> Not needed
Total amount is 10750/-
Just get the following done. Nothing more
1. Engine oil, oil filter - 1.8k for mineral around 3.5 k for synthetic
2. Engine Air filter - INR 800
3. AC air filter - see the MRP on the box, they have a carbon one and a normal one
4. Fluids check(Don't forget battery)- included in labour
5. Wiper washer fluid - less than INR 100
lxskllr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 18:52   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
- The key remote failed; even after the battery was replaced, it did not work.
I found a YouTube Video addressing the exact same problem asking me to short, very imprecisely, leg 2 & leg 7/8. Amazingly it worked
- Honda charged me to inspect this; did not identify the problem or suggest any fix; did not ask me if they can replace the battery. Nothing. Just returned the car with the problem remaining but a CYA note in the service history!

Video here: Honda remote key fob red light stays on, not unlocking
Exact same problem for us for our Honda City 2015, including the fact that Honda charged us for inspection without a solution.
Thank you for sharing the link, I'll try it out and hopefully solves the problem we have!
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 23:41   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Just get the following done. Nothing more
1. Engine oil, oil filter - 1.8k for mineral around 3.5 k for synthetic
2. Engine Air filter - INR 800
3. AC air filter - see the MRP on the box, they have a carbon one and a normal one
4. Fluids check(Don't forget battery)- included in labour
5. Wiper washer fluid - less than INR 100
Agreed. These are the main things to be changed/checked during periodic service. All the other charges are strictly not necessary.
Total service cost comes near to 5k.
Unless some specific work is to be done/replaces, 10k is very high for jazz petrol regular service cost.
dolphinjazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 16:00   #3205
BHPian

Jazzing up the Jazz

The poor low-end torque is a known devil in the Jazz. The rubber band effect of the CVT makes it worse. Stepping on the throttle only brings a lot of noise from the engine. Even the sport mode did not make much of a difference. Driving in the town was a real pain. Overtaking was difficult and needed planning.

I got a Stage 1+ remap from Wolfmoto and got it done through their franchisee GT Motorwerks who was visiting my town.

The change in the car’s character has been revealing. The torque is much better at the lower end and spread well across the midrange with enough left at the higher rpm. It starts rolling as soon as you take the foot off the brake like a diesel. The car accelerates very well with light inputs on the pedal. Hard inputs make the vehicle lunge forward. Initially, I would get scared and immediately let go of the accelerator pedal making the drive jerky. I have to relearn to drive the Jazz now. Now overtakes are a breeze as there is no hesitation. I could feel no loss of power with 6 people on board, driving up the Manipal hill from Udupi. Sport mode has become really sporty. I have not timed the car, but 0-100 comes earlier. I have touched higher speeds also which I had not done in Jazz.

I was not looking for huge performance gains. All I wanted was improved drivability which the remap has provided in good measure. Now all I wish is for steering with a great feel like my old 1st gen Ford Figo. Speaking of Figo, I found the Jazz handling really well at higher speeds.

It has been a week since the remap, the fuel average has dropped only a decimal point, from 12.6 to 12.5, probably from all the testing I did after the remap.

I have to see how the car holds up long term, but the improvement in drivability is so good after the remap that it feels worthy of the 25K I paid for it.
Deep Blue is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 20:41   #3206
BHPian

Re: Jazzing up the Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I got a Stage 1+ remap from Wolfmoto and got it done through their franchisee GT Motorwerks who was visiting my town.
This is great. Thanks for sharing this experience in detail.
A few followup question:
  • Could you please share the cost?
  • What about Honda warranty?
  • Is it possible to roll back if needed?
Old 6th March 2023, 23:27   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
A few followup question:
My answers in bold
[*]Could you please share the cost?
25000Rs

[*]What about Honda warranty?
Warranty is voided if Honda discovers. My car was any way out of warranty.

[*]Is it possible to roll back if needed?
Wolf keeps a copy of the stock map and they can revert the car back to it. For somebody like me, I will have to wait for one of Wolf's franchisees to come down to my town or go to the nearest city(Kochi or Bangalore for me) where they can do it.

I would like to add that in the last two weeks of using the car, the average fuel efficiency as displayed in the dash has stayed rock solid at 12.5km/l

Last edited by Deep Blue : 6th March 2023 at 23:31.
Deep Blue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 21:52   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have to see how the car holds up long term, but the improvement in drivability is so good after the remap that it feels worthy of the 25K I paid for it.
Oh Man, how did I miss this. For 25k that performance gain sounds great. I am completing my 4th year warranty next month and was wondering whether to go for extended warranty or look for aftermarket remap options. This sounds really interesting.

My only fear is with CVT gearbox. I know honda CVT gearbox is probably one of the most reliable ones out there but incase it decides to give trouble the bill would be too high to digest(if I dont have a warranty). You got me confused now. I would really like that extra poke but am scared of loosing warranty as well
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 10:00   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
My only fear is with CVT gearbox.
I guess that depends on the risk you are willing to take. What I was told is that regular day-to-day driving has no real effect on the engine. Redlining all the time etc could lead to earlier engine wear and tear. But that would be true in any car. I have not specifically asked about the gearbox. I searched the net for any issues. I have not found a lot of Jazzs' which have been remapped, but those that have been documented on various forums have not mentioned any issues

My other car is Octavia TDi. I used to hate the days I have to take the Jazz because of the drivability. Overtaking, closing gaps, etc was really difficult. Now, it has become so much easier that I have no hesitation in taking the Jazz whenever I have to.

GT Motorwerks guy told me that the absolute power gain will only be in the range of about 8-9%. But the improved torque at the lower end gives you a nice feel as if the gain is much more. Real gains may not be that much. What is good is the improvement in drivability. It makes city driving a breeze now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikrish90 View Post
I have also upgraded the tires to 195/60 MRF Perfinza, it is one of the best upgrade for the jazz. I have also done a stage 1+ map from Wolf 1 year ago. There is not much difference, though much better than the stock version!
BHPian anikrish90 has remapped his car in 2021 I think. He can comment better on whether there are any long term issues.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 8th March 2023 at 10:21.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:07   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My other car is Octavia TDi. I used to hate the days I have to take the Jazz because of the drivability.
If your other car is a Octavia, it’s understandable why you find Jazz CVT severely lacking. In my case my previous car was a humble Maruti Estilo which had 3 cyl 1.0 engine that felt anaemic with AC running. For crossing bangalore speedbreakers at 2nd gear, I had to turn off AC often

So you see for me the Jazz’s performance isn’t really that bad for pottering around the city. It’s actually better than Estilo’s in almost every way and hence am not totally unsatisfied.

Just got to know I might have to travel for some work assignments for a few years. If that works out, will have to sell the car & in this case having it stock helps. Guess will take the 5th year warranty for now and wait for a confirmation on travel thingy. If it doesn’t work out maybe next year will get the remap done.

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th March 2023 at 12:27.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks