Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:54   #3136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post

Jazz owners, can you share how is the suspension. I know ground clearance is one thing but the way suspension has been tuned plays an important role in tackling the potholes and bumps. We are yet to have a longer test drive at a track of my choice to test in use case listed above. Any feedback in this regard will be helpful.
Ground clearance is not an issue. In fact, surprisingly, Jazz doesn’t sink down when passengers get in, but offers a very comfortable ride. That shows that the suspensions are very well tuned.

If you are particularly concerned about GC, you can upgrade the tyre to 185/65R15 after you take delivery. This is within permissible upgrade limits and provides an extra GC of 6mm. This will cost you about 12-15k extra on exchange, at any local tyre vendor.

All the best! Drive safe! 😊
Chethan B G is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:25   #3137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Ground clearance is not an issue. In fact, surprisingly, Jazz doesn’t sink down when passengers get in, but offers a very comfortable ride. That shows that the suspensions are very well tuned.

If you are particularly concerned about GC, you can upgrade the tyre to 185/65R15 after you take delivery. This is within permissible upgrade limits and provides an extra GC of 6mm. This will cost you about 12-15k extra on exchange, at any local tyre vendor.

All the best! Drive safe! 😊
Thanks for sharing that. That instills confidence. Yes, even from the looks of it I had already apportioned some budget for a tyre upgrade.
saurabh041086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:33   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuheb04 View Post
Honda Jazz in 2022? Are you out of your mind?

Here's my verdict on the Honda Jazz after 2 months of ownership and 2500km (1600 on highways and 900 in city driving conditions).*

Negatives include:
1. The absence of rear AC vents
2. It struggles for quick acceleration in the city
3. Android auto disconnects from time to time
4. Bad patches on the road can be felt in the cabin
5. 15-inch alloy wheels. (The European version comes with 16-inch diamond-cut alloys).

To conclude, the Honda Jazz is an outdated vehicle that is still very practical and has all the necessary features, mated to a refined engine with fit and finish unmatched in its class. Overall, a happy customer looking forward to a wonderful journey ahead.
Wow! Hearty Congratulations. You have made a practical choice, wishing you millions of happy miles.

Coming to your observations, have you tried to use the paddle-shifters for faster in-city acceleration? If not, please try...also you can employ double-dip: step-down twice successively and force car to accelerate.

Regards, Vikram
VikramCS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:55   #3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
have you tried to use the paddle-shifters for faster in-city acceleration? If not, please try...also you can employ double-dip: step-down twice successively and force car to accelerate.
Thanks Vikram, yes I have tried the sports mode in city and found it revving past 3k rpm which helped in acceleration. However I haven't tried the double dipping.. I shall try it sometimes soon
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:58   #3140
BHPian

Congratulations on the car! The Jazz is a very effortless car to drive and I would have gone for it eyes closed even next year had it not been discontinued. I was on the verge of booking it next month. I feel as a newbie driver, shifting from a manual to an automatic is the best thing to do. Not only will you know how to control the power you have on tap and enjoy that vtec engine on the highway, the convenience will be even more appreciated. After 8 years and a lakh km of driving diesel and petrol manuals, I have taken a step back for now. Enjoyed it every moment
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 13:19   #3141
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vikram, yes I have tried the sports mode in city and found it revving past 3k rpm which helped in acceleration. However I haven't tried the double dipping.. I shall try it sometimes soon
Hello zuheb, i was referring to usage of paddle-shifters in D mode itself - this should also suffice for quick acceleration. I haven't used Sports mode in city

Enjoy your car
VikramCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 13:43   #3142
BHPian

Dear All,

Just wanted to share a quick update - yesterday, i travelled to Mysore via the usual Ramanagar - Maddur - Mandya route. Since it was weekday, noontime i was lucky to not encounter much traffic. I took this opportunity to test car's mileage.

Road condition: Up-to Maddur, 3-laned tar roads. After the NICE road exit, i took the Kumbalgodu flyover and it was a breeze till Maddur, post which construction is still on with deviations. Had to slow-down very frequently till Mysore, hence mileage dipped.

I maintained almost steady speed between 80-90kmphr, and was rewarded with 22.6kmpl till Maddur. (my car does not have Cruise Control)

Close to Maddur..

Honda Jazz : Official Review-odo-2.jpg

...crossing Maddur

Honda Jazz : Official Review-odo-1.jpg

I was happy and surprised - i'm sure actual mileage will be close to MID.

Key takeaway: Jazz CVT is capable of returning very good mileage with steady driving between 80-90kmphr. Beyond 100kmphr, mileage will drop. Of-course, this observation is true for any car

Parting shot
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-1.jpg

Regards, Vikram

Last edited by VikramCS : 4th October 2022 at 13:48.
VikramCS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 14:49   #3143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase.Could you share why the Amaze was not a consideration if that was part of your process? Also did you encounter any issues with the ground clearance?
There are many reasons why Jazz is superior to Amaze. You will find a lot of details, discussions and views on this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...expensive.html (Honda Amaze vs Jazz dilemma | What makes the Jazz more expensive?)

Last edited by jaysheth : 4th October 2022 at 14:53.
Old 4th October 2022, 16:29   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
There are many reasons why Jazz is superior to Amaze. You will find a lot of details, discussions and views on this thread:
Thank you, i have been actively following these posts and am well aware of the platform differences. I test drove both and had booked the Amaze in August. While it was a great decision of choosing mind over heart, something within made me cancel the booking.

I've loved the Jazz since i first drove it in 2017 and had chosen the Ignis over it then due to budget (Which is my current car). A slew of Jazz purchase posts have piqued my interest again and while i had ruled out the Jazz due to a poor test drive car in August, i am now reconsidering it. If only the new generation Jazz were around
ellip5i5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 00:02   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Honda Jazz / Fit / W-RV / City / H-RV use the same chassis / platform, with different capacity engines and avatars. Price can range between 10L to 30L based on the package!

I would say that with the interior / exterior packaging and the engine on offer, Jazz is the best value proposition if one cares to carefully look under the skin. 😊
Old 5th October 2022, 05:33   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda Jazz in 2022? Are you out of your mind?

This was the reaction of most people when I told them I had booked a Honda Jazz.
Neat and crisp review without any fuss whatsoever. Enjoyed reading your post, do create travelogues and such!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 20:51   #3147
BHPian

A quick update: Got mileage of 20.6 kmpl on a highway drive of ~31 kms today (without generally exceeding 80 kmph, with AC set at 27 degrees). Mileage dropped somewhat after entering the city. But 20.6 kmpl looks pretty impressive for a new Honda Jazz VX CVT (two-week old, run for 271 kms total). Cruise control would have given even more mileage, but the recommended practice is not to use cruise control during the run-in period, hence planning to use cruise control after the first (or second) service.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-honda-jazz-highway-mileage.jpeg
jaysheth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 13:55   #3148
BHPian

Update: Went for a highway drive (Pune-Talegaon-Lonavala-Talegaon-Pune, through old highway) and covered 106 kms today. The primary reason for the drive was to run our 2-week-old Honda Jazz VX CVT enough before its first service. Odo stands at 377 kms since purchase.

Today, I deliberately stuck to Manual/Sports mode throughout the drive, and without using cruise control. The reasons were manifold:
  • To get full familiarity of using manual mode which compulsorily requires use paddle shifters, so as to build muscle memory with respect to my first automatic car
  • To test the controls required for various situations like quick overtakes, intermittent speed breakers leading to gear shifts etc.
  • To have the engine take varying degrees of throttle inputs, varying gear situations and thereby varying RPMs

Note: I have gone through the whole Honda Jazz manual twice and there are no running-in period requirements. Yet out of common sense I have been gentle with the car, and ensuring no lugging of the engine

Observations and Mileage:
  1. Just like the D (Drive) mode is quick to upshift at the earliest opportunity (possibly to return the best mileage), the S (Manual/Sports) mode is equally quick to downshift. After each speed breaker for instance, it shifted down seamlessly from 5th or 6th gear to the 1st gear. I would have kept my manual transmission car in the 2nd gear in all such cases, but here it came down to the first gear.
  2. While the S (Manual/Sports) mode is quick to downshift, it never upshifts on its own. I really appreciated this behaviour, as during quick overtakes or quick acceleration requirements, I could rely on downshifting a gear or two (through paddle shifters, as the only available way to manually downshift or upshift) and it gave me enough power/grunt and speed to complete the overtake.
  3. However, since the S mode downshifts so early and never upshifts on its own, you have to remember to upshift each time. More often than not I found myself driving in one or two lower gears than my usual habit. For instance, after the speed breakers, I had to remember to upshift from 1st to the 2nd (or even 3rd) gear. Whenever I forgot to act, I was forced to drive with heavy throttle inputs, just to quickly realize I needed a manual upshift!
  4. Due to the above-mentioned behaviour, I had to generally accelerate a little harder than I would need to do in the D (Drive) mode unless I remembered to upshift generally by 2 gears (many a time, 1-up wasn't enough!). Mileage too dropped by around 4 kmpl (though still respectable, mentioned below)
  5. Due to all of the above, and due to occassional slew of vehicles/traffic conditions/stop-and-go traffic at the toll plaza, the drive was not very comfortable. As I type this, I feel slight back pain (have no back pain issues in general)
  6. It was very tempting to shift to D (Drive) mode and just enjoy the drive, which is what I intend to resume now that I have learnt various tricks with the S (Manual) mode. This manual mode experience will come handy when situation demands.
  7. The drive has been somewhat tiring mentally as well. This is because I had to constantly peep into the dashboard to "find out" which gear I was in, and then adjust accordingly, that too "one gear at a time". This small exercise also steals a portion of your attention from the road!
  8. To conclude, Sports mode is okay for occassional/fun drive, and it can come really handy when there are several demanding situations (AMTs, are you listening?!!). After this drive, I am very thankful for (a) having the really automatic D mode with this great CVT car, and for (b) having the cruise control. I would be much less physically tired and much less mentally so, the moment I would start using the D-mode and cruise control combo more and more.

My daughter had a much better time than me , as she was continously playing and enjoying her favourite songs. The infotainment system is pretty good and reliable (V variant does not have it, VX and ZX variants have the exact same infotainment system). Purists shall be able to nitpick regarding the speaker performance especially at high volumes, but for "safe" drives with music in moderate volumes, it is very pleasing! Bluetooth pairing was simple and enough. Android Auto was not required.

(Android Auto would be required for navigation etc. which requires wired-connectivity. Personally I am not sure why many folks complain about this, as it takes 2 seconds to connect the cable, and also keeps your phone charged that way!)

Finally - the mileage (snip attached): It returned 16.6 kmpl for 105.9 kms drive. Using D mode it would have returned 20/21 kmpl easily, and using cruise control would have increased this even further.

Very happy with the decision of having bought (a) a Honda, (b) "the" Jazz, (c) the CVT gearbox and (d) the VX variant. Yes folks! This is October 2022 and I mean it!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-honda-jazz-sports-mode-mileage.jpeg  

Last edited by jaysheth : 8th October 2022 at 14:16.
jaysheth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 14:25   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
[*]The drive has been somewhat tiring mentally as well.
None of these issues will last for too long. Like any other new car these are purely first time usage issues. It’s just a matter of time and you will get used to switching between D & S mode. Yes, D mode is more than enough for 99% of scenarios and S is only required if you want to have fun or in steep ghat sections (again ‘fun’). For all other scenarios D mode with cruise control (on highways) is bliss. Enjoy your drive.

-Fellow VX CVT owner
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 14:39   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
None of these issues will last for too long. Like any other new car these are purely first time usage issues. It’s just a matter of time and you will get used to switching between D & S mode. Yes, D mode is more than enough for 99% of scenarios and S is only required if you want to have fun or in steep ghat sections (again ‘fun’). For all other scenarios D mode with cruise control (on highways) is bliss. Enjoy your drive.

-Fellow VX CVT owner
@Soumen, I fully agree (in fact, never stated otherwise). As I have clearly mentioned throughout the review, the drive was somewhat tiring because I chose to choose the S mode throughout, just for my own experience, and for the benefit of fellow readers here. In other words, I chose to make this drive somewhat tiring for myself.
Through this write-up, I have further substantiated that the D mode is a real boon for those considering a truly automatic car.
Finally, am well aware you are a fellow VX CVT Owner In fact, special thanks goes to all of you (Jazz owners) for sharing your experiences here, which made it super easy for us to make up our mind. Just trying to continue the legacy through this great forum!
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks