Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 12:04   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

31k Service Report

December 2021 Service Report here (Honda Jazz : Official Review)

Gave the car for a 31k service as it was feeling slightly rough & there was a slight jerkiness to the steering when I turned the wheel at slow speeds. As I had heard of some Jazzes having power steering issues, wanted to get it seen at the earliest.

No other major issues other than the rear power window switch not working intermittently.

Prior to the service, I got the battery changed (largely time based; the horn was a bit weak).
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-31kbattery.jpg

I had also done a WB/WA because it was due, at Goodyear, HSR. (Recommended place)

Service
Service consisted largely of replacing AC filter, oil etc. We decided to replace air filter & transmission oil etc in Dec/ Jan.

They figured that the rear power window motor has to be replaced. I am to place an order 1 week before I give the car for service next.

The jerky steering feel at < 20kmph speed they figured was due to uneven tire wear. They rotated the tires and the feeling did go away.

Overall costs: 6.3k
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-31k1a.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-31k2.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-31k3.jpg

Other work
The car developed a puncture in a recent trip to Coimbatore. Unfortunately when they rotated the wheels, they did not replace the external TPMS valves correctly. So the driver (I was not in the car) looked at the indicated tire and found it fine. It only occurred to him to check all tires 50-60 km later.

At that point, it was too late for the punctured tire. It had suffered from tyre wall damage & had to be replaced

Since it was 32k on the OEM and the tire wear indicator was already showing (had about 4k km, IMO) and because of the jerkiness in steering wheel and because (so many ands!!) the tires were about 5 years old, I decided to replace the tires.

Went to Madhu's and got Apollo Vredestein 175/65/R15 tires for about 20k. ALso got Sensairy internal TPMS (4 units) for about 5.7k

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-31kvredestein-tyres.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-32kwbwb.jpg

I went with these tires because
  • It is a city car - ride & silence is more important than major grip
  • The 195/60/15 tires were a minimum of 6400 each. THe difference of 1.3k per tyre was simply not worth it.
  • Since I put in Sensairy, I did not have to pay for tyre valves - was a reduction of about 150 bucks per tire

Lifetime Statistics

Honda Jazz : Official Review-screenshot_20220801120516_my-cars.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-screenshot_20220801122233_my-cars.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-screenshot_20220801122240_my-cars.jpg

Last edited by sridhu : 1st August 2022 at 12:24.
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:41   #3092
BHPian

Black smoke on sudden acceleration is common in iDTEC engines, I own a City Diesel and have similar findings. I had a word with the Service Advisor at the ASC and he also confirmed to be normal, specially on 2 and 3rd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Has anyone experienced black smoke for idtec? I know that diesels emit soot when subjected to sudden acceleration due to rich fuel air mixture, but wanted to clarify if anyone has seen it otherwise.
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:13   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quick question folks:

What are the wiper sizes for 2017 Jazz? 26" & 14" or 24" &14"?

What is the rear wiper size ?Where will I get the rear wiper rubber?
Old 4th August 2022, 16:20   #3094
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Where will I get the rear wiper rubber?
We have a thread on wiper blades where you'll find wider options. IIRC, Bosch makes the rubber that is available at car accessory shops.
Old 4th August 2022, 20:14   #3095
BHPian

Has anyone tried tuning their Jazz or made any performance upgrades of any sort? I am looking into potentially doing something with my manual Jazz.
Old 4th September 2022, 11:05   #3096
Senior - BHPian

My last long-ish drive on highway was pre-covid and since then the car has barely done 4.5k kms in last 2.5 years all within city. Yesterday had a craving for Tamil Nadu style biryani and mutton chukka so thought of hitting the highway (towards Krishnagiri) and that would also mean I get to use the dormant features like sports mode, paddle-shifters, cruise control

Some observations:
+The car is at 14500kms and I can feel the engine has opened up better.
+With sports mode, paddleshifters and 2.5-3k RPM shifts, I could feel it has become decently responsive till 120kmph.
+Feels pretty solid-footed & brakes well from those speeds.
+ Cruise control works as expected. Need lesser traffic to fully enjoy the convenience.

-The AC effectiveness at the rear is less compared to front.
-Having fun meant mileage took a hit. Returned ~16kmpl for the 200km trip(40km in city, rest highway).

Stopped at a highway restaurant to enjoy some Mutton Biryani & Chukka and then headed to Krishnagiri Dam. Thanks to the rains there was lush greenery all around & good amount of water in the dam. Got to know because of this entry to the adjacent park was closed since three days. Spent time on a bridge nearby from where the flow is visible.

Water flow has already covered the road which takes you to the park.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-663e7112366544a8ab21e3b1a65e1056.jpeg

The other side of the bridge.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-78e34cb460094da0afed76dfb4a3002f.jpeg

Finally got to stretch his legs after 2.5 years

Honda Jazz : Official Review-43ceb9df234c4496bc4139a18c59416c.jpeg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-90f36f5887014921af5fa4e652a7f355.jpeg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-04064e6cd96c4f52a1838aea177b1291.jpeg

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th September 2022 at 11:30.
SoumenD is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 09:23   #3097

This is my first post on team-bhp, I am amazed by amount of quality information we get in this forum about a car.

I am one of those proud owners of Honda Jazz and quiet happy about our decision to buy Jazz over any other hatchback except for Polo which may not be a fair comparison.

It’s been 5 years for Jazz and thought of updating it little bit in couple of areas

I recently got sun film on my front windshield along with other glasses and off-late after installing sun film I feel headlights are dim and not giving enough light, I am looking for suggestions here on
1. updating stock bulbs to something more brighter and which gives greater visibility… please share some insights if anyone has upgraded their headlights.

2. Anyone installed TPMS and how much did it cost in general..
I have got Yakohama Earth with 195 tyres

3. Any idea if we can install 360 degree camera on a 2017 Jazz??

Looking forward for many more miles with few upgrades..!!
Aradhya30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:55   #3098
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradhya30 View Post
I recently got sun film on my front windshield along with other glasses and off-late after installing sun film I feel headlights are dim and not giving enough light, I am looking for suggestions here on
1. updating stock bulbs to something more brighter and which gives greater visibility… please share some insights if anyone has upgraded their headlight
Hi. Nice to find yet another jazz owner. While you are waiting for the answers, please go through these links which might give you some ideas.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...headlamps.html (Product Review: Philips Crystal Vision Halogen headlamps)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-upgrades.html (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)

While / if increasing power, you need to add relays. And do look out for cops. They carry Lux meters now-a-days. Couple of threads on that too.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 23:16   #3099
BHPian

Quote:
1. updating stock bulbs to something more brighter and which gives greater visibility… please share some insights if anyone has upgraded their headlights.
Welcome to Team-BHP!

I have a 5.25 year old Jazz as well and recently upgraded my stock 60/55W bulbs to 100/90W bulbs with relay. It has been only 2 weeks but it's quite a good upgrade. I bought these bulbs and this relay from Amazon and did a DIY install with help of YouTube.

Quote:
2. Anyone installed TPMS and how much did it cost in general..
I have got Yakohama Earth with 195 tyres
I have been using this TPMS for about 2 years now and has been working well.
Note: I don't have experience with the e-commerce platform linked above and I bought the TPMS from Amazon but it doesn't seem to be available in Amazon anymore.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 10th September 2022 at 23:19.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 07:13   #3100
BHPian

Good morning BHPians.
I own a Honda Jazz (SV) 2016 model which has done 48000 kms on ODO and is giving me absolutely fuss free drive experience and my entire family is in love with this MPV of ours.
I wanted to know whether can I install Apple car play in my car now.
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 21:40   #3101

Thanks for the information @Yieldway17
How do you view TPMS data ? On phone ? Or on car display?

I am inclined towards 100/90 as well with relay, not sure whether going to LED lights and full set is worth or not.

One more accessory thought i.e. arm rest between driver seat and front passenger seat, not able to find the right one yet and it may block the bottle holders as well
Old 13th September 2022, 09:59   #3102
BHPian

Quote:

Looking forward for many more miles with few upgrades..!!
Hello... Ive been using philips racing vision
H4 halogen on my WRV and is quite good without any extra modifications.
I've also installed Blaupunkt TPMS IN-DASH USB 4.2 internal tpms that works with my foxfire android HU. Blaupunkt also has other versions with external display which you can check in their website. I believe many here in teambhp would recommend a sensairy tpms available in Amazon that works with the mobile app.
Old 13th September 2022, 23:41   #3103
BHPian

Long term ownership experience - used Honda Jazz CVT automatic

My ownership experience: Honda Jazz V CVT automatic

"If something can be done tomorrow, don't do it today" well that's how i kept postponing penning down my ownership experience. Apologies. It’s been close to 9-months since I purchased this car, and so far have covered close to 8.5K+ kilometers.

Disclaimer: This is my first ownership review, please bear with me. It'll be a long post, appreciate your patience.

Need for change: Well, I was happy with my Toyota Etios Liva V (Petrol) which I was using from 3+ years. Owning Toyotas is simply a joy - absolutely fuss-free ownership. Fill, Drive and repeat; very reliable and comfortable. It could easily carry 4 adults + my kid and luggage for 3-day trips. Then, why change in 3 years? No, i didn't get any promotion, no salary hike either..! However, what i started to get aplenty was pain in my left foot, ankles and left shoulder joint - it was bad and I could not even lift my left arm vertically up. Got X-rays done and Doctor mentioned that some liquid in joints (can't recollect the medical terminology) had started to dry-up. He put me on medication for a month and advised me to stop driving for a month at-least (with complete respect to the Doctor - what the hell? give-up driving? Sorry, impossible). It was clear that clutch and gear were taking a toll - so, finally after driving Manual Transmission (MT) for 14 years, it was time to get comfortable: go for an automatic.

Which car?: My requirements were simple:
- Reliable, comfortable for both City and Highways
- Safety: at-least 4-star {Just to recollect: Etios Liva was one of the first hatch-backs to be rated 4-stars by GNCAP. The model tested had 2 airbags and body shell was rated 'stable'. ABS was added later. Safety was one of the key reasons for getting Liva against a lot of "popular choices"}
- Proper automatic (NO AMT)
- Stable highways manners and decent handling
- Spacious cabin and generous boot-space
- Budget ~8L (lower the better. Since budget was on lower-side, was looking for pre-owned cars.

I'll not get into selection details, but took test drive of Baleno, i20, Jazz and Polo. My brother owns Baleno CVT, and, i had travelled on road-trips with him for over 2K kilometers - it was easier to decide. i20 didn't meet my requirements. Polo, though a little short on space, was undoubtedly the best to drive. However, being a family man, was inclined to go for spacious car - hence, Jazz automatic was finalized.

I found a decent deal and booked a pre-owned Jazz CVT (2017) that had about 25K on the odo. Did a background check and was convinced to put my money on it.

Experience
(a) Driving in City : Jazz CVT is easy and smooth to drive. I live in Bangalore and can't thank enough the convenience of this smooth automatic from Honda. No head-nods, no jerks- just pleasure! No clutch, no frequent gear-changes – very easy to drive. With gentle accelerator inputs, progress is little slow initially, but, suits my 'city-driving' style where i prefer to make gradual progress especially while moving in a sea of two-wheelers, autos, cabs and BMTC buses.
I do not feel lack of power, especially for relaxed driving. Yes, can’t launch aggressively from traffic signals, but, I have left that adventure to other road-users. When conditions permit brisk progress, simply use the paddle shifters (can be used in D mode as well), drop a step and the car rushes forward. When roads are little free (they seldom are!) a little more pressure on A pedal is sufficient to move ahead of traffic. All-in-all Jazz CVT is a capable + comfortable city car.

(b) Driving on Highways: Well, neither am I an enthusiastic nor a sedate driver – I drive according to the road conditions, although at times I’m a little aggressive. Now, in the D mode, with firm pressure on A pedal, Jazz makes ample progress (not quick!) in lower rpms, but as revs rise it can comfortably get to around 80-ish in reasonable time. Progress upto 100 km/hr is brisk, but beyond that, takes time to reach 120-130 mark. Whenever there is a need for quick acceleration, use paddle shifters to drop down – I sometimes employ double-drop: drop a step (let’s say car is in D4 around 70-ish, I drop to D3 and get the push; again, I drop a step which’ll bring it back to D3 and allow to rev higher thereby gaining speed). I’m not sure whether this is the right way to step-down in a CVT, I’ll let the experts comment.

Power output of Jazz CVT is around 90PS, while the car weighs over a ton. It’s not a very quick car, but, even in the D mode, I can easily reach triple-digit speeds, with 2-adults + 5-year-old daughter + luggage on-board. Again, no comparison to Polo, but, Jazz is not a slow car.

When in mood for fun, slot to S mode and the car makes quick progress by holding on till higher rpms. Using paddle shifters in Sports mode can help manual control – this is real fun. I have used this combination and managed to gain very quick speeds. Have hit ~100 in S3, 130 in S4..etc. Disclaimer: I do not recommend driving beyond speed-limits. For testing purpose, when road conditions were ideal, had tested the car’s ability. Please drive safe.

Though I do not redline the iVtec frequently, have observed that at higher rpms(5K+), engine response is comparatively better than lower rpms.

(c ) Ride, handling and comfort: At highway speeds, Jazz is stable and solid. Yes, as revs rise, one can hear engine’s roar, but it’s music to ears and not at all disturbing. I found the car stable around corners and is not nervous around twists. Straight line stability is impressive and brakes are confidence inspiring. Road undulations are handled well and the car does not lose composure. I found the suspension set-up to be balanced. Ride quality is comfortable at city speeds; on long highway trips, though the car is comfortable overall, at times when in higher speeds, some unruly potholes tend to make it bouncy at the rear. Just to compare Jazz with Liva – my parents (father aged 70+; mother 60+) in the rear seat, feel little more comfortable in Liva than Jazz, however, the difference may not be significant.

Body roll is controlled and direction changes happen without much drama. Steering response is acceptable and it nicely weighs-up at higher speeds.

(d) Wheels, tires and Ground clearance: I have read multiple times that Honda provides skinny tires – unable to comment on tire size, not sure whether upsizing tires can increase comfort/grip levels. However, I recently replaced old tires with same-size MRF ZVTV tires from Madhu’s Tyres, Bangalore. Probably, I should have enquired about upsizing!

Ground clearance is adequate: despite travelling on pothole-ridden roads and unscientific road-humps, haven't scraped the car’s underbelly (I can’t control the urge to curse the folks responsible for unscientific humps though – some are mountains, not humps…who designed, laid and approved them!?).

(e) Interiors: As you might have observed, this section comes below the more important sections above. For me, a car should have: a good engine, reliable gearbox, sufficient safety, comfortable ride and confident handling. Personally, creature comforts, 10-inch TVs, gimmicky features, sunroof etc. are not very important to me.

- Dashboard, fit and finish: Good quality interiors at this price-point for a previous generation car. No panel gaps, no rattling sounds…current odo stands at a tad below 34K.

- Music system: I’m not an audiophile and hardly switch-on the music. My family members like to talk more than listen (to music I mean). I’d say the music system does its job well -steering mounted audio controls are helpful (wonder why there is no mute button though).

- Seats: are comfortable for long drives. I assume there’s no lumbar support, but, the seats offer enough cushion to the occupants for long journeys – no issues here.

- Space: Jazz has acres of space, believe me, even Liva offered lot of space. Head-room is more than sufficient - my family members, including me, are on shorter side, but even six-footers will not have much to complain in Jazz

- Boot-space: Let’s just say my wife is happy with it, no explanation required.

- Air-conditioning: AC is very comfortable for all occupants. No complaints of less throw or cooling from rear occupants so far. When I switch-on AC, I increase the fan-speed and lower the temperature a bit, and, then adjust as per need. My car also comes with auto-AC, but I hardly use-it.

(f) “Kitna deti hai”??: ji vo exactly ‘pata nahi’. I believe the right method to measure mileage is do a tank-full to tank-full, and, ideally refill from the same petrol bunk. However, I have not measured mileage this way so far in Jazz, and, am in no mood too..!
Going by the MID:
in City (depending on traffic density): 10.5-12 kmpl
on highways (depending on my mood!!): 15–16.5 kmpl

As we all know, mileage is sensitive to individual driving style. On highways, when maintaining a constant cruising speed ~90, have managed between 17-18kmpl. Aggressive acceleration, racing beyond 110+, using Sports mode – these will drop mileage. Choice, is clearly the drivers!

(g) Service cost: Honda recommends a 6-month service interval for Jazz (probably, models later than 2018/2019 come with a 12-month/10K kms service interval, other owners can confirm) - I believe this was Honda’s ploy to make Dealers profitable.
Anyway, I try and stick to manufacturer’s guidelines and have got my car serviced once so far – at Magnum Honda (Kanakapura road). Service experience was good, but, as usual SA’s try to increase their commission by pushing unnecessary stuff – just follow the owner’s manual and save yourself some money.

Last service cost was around 6.3K, and, I expect average costs will be in vicinity of 6K, which I think is fair for premium hatch-back.

Upgrades:
- Headlights: OEM fitted ones are basic. However, I hardly drive on highways during nigh-time, so this upgrade is not urgent. For city usage, current ones are okay-ish.
- Arm-rest: Honda dealerships quoted 7K, so have to check outside.

Conclusion: Jazz CVT is a fantastic product – a spacious, comfortable car with Honda’s famed iVtec engine plus reliable automatic gearbox. One can’t go wrong with Jazz – sad that Honda decided to discontinue this car.

Dear Honda: why can’t you just plonk the RS1.0L turbo engine (available in Thailand market) in Jazz, bump-up the power output to 100-105PS, keep prices competitive (at-least initially) … you’d have a winner on hand. I can’t believe that you don’t even market your products properly in this age and time? Please increase your marketing spend, upgrade the product and I’m sure the numbers will follow.

Lastly, Jazz will not please very keen and enthusiastic drivers – it’s not folks who want to fly from 0-100. For pure driving pleasure get a Polo, but, for balanced needs Jazz should do fine.

Thanks for sticking till the end, and I hope it's useful to readers/prospective buyers.
VikramCS is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 02:11   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long term ownership experience - used Honda Jazz CVT automatic

Wow that’s the second ownership thread on Jazz this week. Welcome to the club buddy. Wish you loads of happy miles with the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
"If something can be done tomorrow, don't do it today" well that's how i kept postponing penning down my ownership experience. Apologies. It’s been close to 9-months since I purchased this car, and so far have covered close to 8.5K+ kilometers.
That’s fine. Its been 3 years+ in my case and looking at the quality of content here never dared to even try writing an ownership thread
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 20:24   #3105
BHPian

Re: Long term ownership experience - used Honda Jazz CVT automatic

Thank you very much SoumenD sir. I'm happy that TBHP allowed me to connect with knowledgeable folks and help me make right car buying choices.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks