Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 00:00   #3046
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Actually, the Jazz did not come with ABS and airbags as standard till 2018 May when the minor update was launched and the E, S(petrol) and SV variants were subsequently discontinued. Prior to that the E and S variant did not recieve airbags and ABS was also available only in the E and S diesel and S CVT variant.
You are correct. It did not have ABS and Airbags standard when it was launched in 2015 (in petrol variant). I remember reading about addition of these safety features standard within a year after the launch.
I may be wrong, are you sure about this mid 2018 timeline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Could any Jazz owners kindly confirm if 2018 January manufactured Jazz S Petrol comes with ABS? That is whether ABS was available in all variants that time?
Please wait untill we have the confirmation on ABS.

Last edited by Latheesh : 18th May 2022 at 00:02.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 00:48   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I may be wrong, are you sure about this mid 2018 timeline?
I'm pretty sure on it since we ourselves bought a V CVT in April. The update was launched in July(my apologies for mistaking it as may) as confirmed from the post linked below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4431149 (2018 Honda Jazz launched at Rs. 7.35 lakh)

Quote:
Please wait untill we have the confirmation on ABS.
Am also attaching a brochure I found online that confirms it

Honda New Jazz Brochure.pdf
porsche_guy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 05:08   #3048
BHPian

It is confusing as the car has dual airbags evident by 'SRS Airbag'.
Old 18th May 2022, 08:12   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
It is confusing as the car has dual airbags evident by 'SRS Airbag'.
E and S variants did not have ABS and airbags at the time of launch. They added airbags standard in 2006.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...-standard.html (Honda Jazz gets dual airbags as standard)

So Jan 2018 S petrol variant has airbags but no ABS.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 18:57   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
I am in fact following this up separately with Honda directly to see if retrofit is possible for rear seats, if customer is willing to spend extra bucks to ensure safety.
Any progress on this? Any solution available from Honda or outside? Thanks!
pkk077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 20:07   #3051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk077 View Post
Any progress on this? Any solution available from Honda or outside? Thanks!
I dint get any favorable response from Honda yet, except for some template responses from Honda Customer care. So for now, only outside solution available and Honda ASC guys assured that there wont by any warranty voiding issues, as they were too lethargic to offer any support and wanted me to explore options outside.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 09:25   #3052

Quick Intro :
Buying a car was always on the cards, but it was only in the middle of Covid Wave 1 that my wife and I realized that we will never go back to booking shared rides if and when the pandemic gets over. Hence began the hunt of our first car to be.. We are based in Bangalore and the car was primarily to be used within city plus a few 500km trips around Bangalore every year.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220529-11.41.57-am.jpeg

Shortlisting :
Once we decided to buy a car, I immediately announced that this is a husband's space and I will be the one setting the ground rules I set the magical figure of 10 lakhs as our budget and also expressed my clear dislike for compact sedans (though over the last year, I have come to acknowledge the practicality of compact sedans over the Balenos of the world)

Zeroing In :
The ground rules made it pretty simple for us. Given Bangalore's super generous road tax structure, Compact SUVs were hardly making the cut of < 10L and compact sedans were never considered. We anyway loved the Premium Hatchback segment and that is where we would focus on. I never wanted a Baleno or an I20 because of safety concerns, and Jazz because of the dated design. My wife's love for Indian companies, the 5 star safety rating, fresh appealing design and all the online reviewers made it further simple - ALTROZ it will be

However all of this changed when the lockdown was lifted and we tried the Altroz. The horrendous experience in Tata Motors showroom and panel gaps in Altroz was a heartbreak. In came Ford Freestyle and we were sold the moment I put it on Gear 1 and pressed the gas. I have never experienced the same joy in driving any car as I did on the freestyle. In July 2020, massive car discounts ensured that I could get the top variant Titanium+ @ 8.70L on road. The decision was made - White Ford Freestyle it will be.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img20201010wa0011.jpg

Go Corona Go :
I am pretty sure we got infected while test driving the Altroz that day in Tata motors Hebbal, there was zero sanitization of the vehicle or anywhere else in the showroom. Both of us went down with Covid in wave 1 itself and travelled back to our hometown for the next 6 months, hence the car wasn't booked

Paradox of choices :
What do couples do when the are home, in the middle of Covid, with no friends around, planning to buy a car and ample time in hand - they youtube the hell out of car reviews. New launches like Kia Sonet, cosmetic features like led DRLs, expert family member opinions, they all made freestyle seem too boring a choice

Holding the ground :
We fully understood during this time that freestyle or ford in general had very boring interiors (though we both loved the simplicity of the dash layout), had very little cosmetic features like led head lamps, fog lamps or tale lamps, had an unpractically low boot space and no armrests (I shared a screenshot with Ford India that their Gallery showed the freestyle with front armrest in the website and they immediately took that picture off). All of that aside, Dil to Bachha hai Ji . Feb 2021 - we were back in Bangalore and in the first week itself, we wanted to make the booking. By this time, 2020 discounts were gone and there was a price increase in Jan 2021. The Titanium+ was now costing us 9.08L.

Father in law is always correct :
With the absolute taste of quality that my FIL has, he did ask me to check a Japanese make hatchback (he was referring to Toyota or Honda and not Maruti Suzuki) before I made the booking. With Glanza being a Baleno, we went to check the Jazz - and boy was he correct. In all honesty, we both still love the freestyle exteriors more than the Jazz (every freestyle we see on the road, we still feel it's our own), however it is the cabin of the Jazz that made the decision Black and White (I mean literally, never again can I sit in a car with black interiors)
We were getting Jazz VX MT @ 9.6L compared to Freestyle Titanium+ at 9.1L. The additional 50k was making sense given way more space, beige interiors, higher visibility, a lot better interiors and a few cosmetic features (we were trading 4 airbags in exchange but the safety aspect and build quality of both the cars seemed to be good). We made the booking and got the delivery within 2 weeks.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220529-11.43.20-am.jpeg

The CVT instead of MT was decided last minute once the salesman convinced me to take a test drive (it did finally make us go beyond 10L, we ended up spending 11L with accessories), but I count my blessings each day of the last 15months that I bought a Jazz CVT over Freestyle, or over any of the compact SUVs.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220529-1.06.23-am.jpeg

15 months / 8000 KM Done :
Fast forward 15 months - I cherish every moment I am behind the wheels of this Breezy machine. I think the weather in Bangalore and the Jazz CVT complement each other - not sure which of the two is more soothing. Listing down some of my key observations experienced during city drives, a trip each to Yercaud (500KM), Pondicherry (800KM) and Wayanad (900KM).

Pros:
1. Best in class cabin - I have never been in a better cabin. The Jazz has really big windows with quarter glasses. There are people who feel claustrophobic in many cars and I will strongly recommend Jazz for them
2. Extremely smooth gearbox and engine - almost no noise or jerks
3. Pedal shifters - if you feel like having fun
4. Space - Enough and more
5. Looks - It's subjective, though Jazz can look extremely sporty if you add spoilers and do some tweaking with the alloys
6. Build - There are very few cars that seem to be as strongly built as this one. The doors seem heavier than even the Altroz doors and it adds a lot of confidence
7. Cruise Control - for those mostly on the highways

Cons:
1. Low ground clearance - this is widely known and I too scrape the car once every few months - got the lower body rubber coat done, hoping that helps
2. Weak headlights - will upgrade the lamps
3. Not for real enthusiasts - 1.2L NA engine is slightly underpowered.
Nothing else - people do call out the lack of rear headrest as a concern, but the incline at the back is perfect making the rear seat experience equally good as front

Conclusion
If I have to buy a petrol automatic once again (true automatic, not AMTs) at a price below 15L in Bangalore, I will again pick the Jazz over a Magnite / Kiger CVT, a Venue / Sonet DCT or an S-Cross torque convertor while the jury is still out on Altroz's DCA.
mbudhraja is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:42   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudhraja View Post
I count my blessings each day of the last 15months that I bought a Jazz CVT over Freestyle, or over any of the compact SUVs.
Absolutely no wonder.
You bought one of the best hatchback, nay scratch that - best overall car in that budget. I wish you many happy memories and kilometers in that car.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:55   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudhraja View Post
Cons:
1. Low ground clearance - this is widely known and I too scrape the car once every few months - got the lower body rubber coat done, hoping that helps
Jazz is somewhat under-tired. If you have the 175 R15 upgrade to 185 with same profile - this will increase the overall dia somewhat but help very much with ride quality and the ground clearance. If you have 185 upgrade to 195 similarly but do check that it does not hit the well while at full turn. This will also make the steering a bit stiffer and I am not sure it will affect warranty so check before going for this.
Old 31st May 2022, 13:58   #3055
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations! Fantastic decision and a very practical one too. As a current Jazz CVT owner, agree with the pros and cons you have mentioned. I find the driving very easy and stress-free. On the highways, the car takes some time to come into its elements, but once there, it easily catches speed and can happily cruise at triple-digit speeds without any fuss. Sad that such a capable product does not find enough takers currently.

Guess service interval for your car is 1-year right?

Regards.
VikramCS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 15:40   #3056
BHPian

Can someone tell me if this refresh mode was available in all variants of 2015 model or was it reserved just for vx? I’m looking to buy a used Jazz and find this feature quite useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-9aa8a9e04ded430d9ab73830fe0083a4.jpeg  

Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 15:46   #3057

Yes fortunately the 2020 upgrade came with 1 year service intervals.
mbudhraja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:21   #3058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Can someone tell me if this refresh mode was available in all variants of 2015 model or was it reserved just for vx? I’m looking to buy a used Jazz and find this feature quite useful.
Magic seats are only available in VX variant of the 2015 model.
hani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 06:33   #3059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
I think it's available in all the variants. Refresh mode has nothing to do with magic seats. Mine is Jazz i-DTEC V.
dpat17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 16:02   #3060
BHPian

Whats the ideal tyre pressure for Jazz 2021 175/65 R15 ? It's top end model which has sun roof.

It's mostly sister and her two kids and loads of luggage of the three on highways and city it's just the three or two of them.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks