Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2016, 23:15   #706
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I changed my original BS Duellers at 58,500km with another 8-10K still left in them. The time frame was under two years from new. In my time with the Duellers, I never faced a puncture even once (except for a very minute one which was detected and repaired before a flat). Since I did proper alignment - balancing - rotation every 5000km, the tyres wore out very evenly and I never faced any problems with grip, braking effectiveness or wobbling. So, if you think your'e ok with the stock tyres, I suggest taking them the whole way.

Presently, I am on Maxxis Bravo 771 A/T (upsized to 255/65/R16). They have done 4300km since December 22nd. The performance is quite good, with relatively better grip around corners. However, they are noisier than the BS (would be, since they are A/T). Also, braking seems a bit less confidence inspiring, but then I attribute that also to an impending brake pad change which I intend to get done very soon. Would be able to report braking effectiveness better after changing the pads.

I can also recommend Michelin LTX A/T2 (235/70/R16), which was my original choice. Went in for the Maxxis only because they were 255s and available at a good price.
I was wondering if the wheel/tire sizes for the Safari (Dicor) and the Storme have ever changed/progressed over time?

Have you changed your rims/wheels, and if so, to which ones?

Any guidance on which rims are actually safe to use with these potholed roads and can stand up to the beating? (Actually, the original Tata ones (Dicor VX aluminum dual five-spoke) I have found to be pretty tough)
Old 8th February 2016, 11:41   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I was wondering if the wheel/tire sizes for the Safari (Dicor) and the Storme have ever changed/progressed over time?

Have you changed your rims/wheels, and if so, to which ones?
No, the wheel sizes are the same since the Safari was launched two decades ago. So is most of the rest of the car as well!! But in hindsight, it is a good thing. While R16 tyres cost in the range starting 5500/- (KENDA / FORCEUM etc) till about 10000/- (FALKEN WILDPEAK AT / LATITUDE CROSS etc), the moment you get to R17, the prices jump to a minimum of 12,000/- and onwards to 18,000/- etc. I pity the XUV guys, who have to shell out at least double the amount to get a good set of tyres compared to the Safari. The only cheap R17 tyre is the JK Elanzo, which is what the XUV now comes with as OE. Even the BS Dueller for R17 costs 15K or so. Now the new Scorpio is also equipped with R17 tyres. Pity those guys too.

I have not changed the rims yet. I didn't see the need to. Personally, I prefer steel rims to alloys. I might change the existing steel rims to slightly offset black steel rims in the future.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 17:31   #708
BHPian

Continuing on the discussion on Tire and Rims/Alloys, I too have a question. Has anybody upgraded to the Black Alloys available as an official accessory from Tata Motors (the ones listed on the Tata Safari Accessories 2015)?

If yes, can somebody please help with the review of them and what it costs as it seems that every time I put the query using the online query tool, nobody seems to be follow up on the same. I also inquired with a couple of dealers in Ghaziabad/Noida before but they did not seem to have any idea.

Also, what tires would look right on those alloys? In the accessory list, Maxxis looks awesome as well as it looked amazing on the Tata Safari Storme which is displayed at the Auto Expo 2016.

Cheers!
Old 9th February 2016, 17:38   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
Continuing on the discussion on Tire and Rims/Alloys, I too have a question. Has anybody upgraded to the Black Alloys available as an official accessory from Tata Motors (the ones listed on the Tata Safari Accessories 2015)?

If yes, can somebody please help with the review of them and what it costs as it seems that every time I put the query using the online query tool, nobody seems to be follow up on the same. I also inquired with a couple of dealers in Ghaziabad/Noida before but they did not seem to have any idea.

Also, what tires would look right on those alloys? In the accessory list, Maxxis looks awesome as well as it looked amazing on the Tata Safari Storme which is displayed at the Auto Expo 2016.

Cheers!
I think they are 17 inches (the one in Auto Expo were 17"). When I asked my dealer to give me those, he said that they are not in stock but offered to paint the existing ones in black at nominal price and with some kind of guarantee. However, the person at AutoExpo stressed on the fact that they are easily available at most of the dealerships.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 17:51   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I think they are 17 inches (the one in Auto Expo were 17"). When I asked my dealer to give me those, he said that they are not in stock but offered to paint the existing ones in black at nominal price and with some kind of guarantee. However, the person at AutoExpo stressed on the fact that they are easily available at most of the dealerships.
Thanks sourabhzen for prompt help with this. I would reach out to Concorde this time and try to check with them about the availability of the same and the price.

Cheers!
Old 9th February 2016, 20:17   #711
BHPian

May be OT on this thread, apologies.

I am considering Safari for business use (intra-city and inter-city commute mainly) and want to understand the main differences between Dicor and Storme. I tried googling this, but not much luck. Thanks.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:20   #712
BHPian

Query to existing Storme owners (I am a new owner and getting to understand the different noises ).

I get a noise/sound that I can best describe as "Krrrrrrrrr krrrrrrrrr" in the 4th or 5th gears (sometimes in the 3rd gear as well). It comes after accelerating to say 1800-2000 rpm in the 4th/5th gear and then taking the foot off the pedal, as the rpm drops this sound is there and reduces to shorter Krrr krrr once I again accelerate. Is this a normal sound? I have heard a very similar sound in the force traveller mini vans when i have occasionally travelled in them.

Incase this helps: My odo reads 600 kms currently.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:36   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
No, the wheel sizes are the same since the Safari was launched two decades ago. So is most of the rest of the car as well!!
I believe the original 1.9 Ltr Safari came with 15" Rims and they switched to 16" wheel rims with the Dicor. Been the same since then though.
Old 15th February 2016, 15:21   #714
BHPian

Hi Folks. Need some advice from existing owners. I picked my storme a few weeks back and noticed on the next day after delivery that one roof rail was cracked on the top and another had major rubbing marks on it at the same place (about a foot from the end of the rail). It was as if the vehicle had been driven under something that wasn't high enough and ended up scraping it. It surely wasn't there during the PDI and I didn't check it at the time of delivery. While the dealer didn't directly acknowledge, the customer service agreed to change the roof rails free of cost.

The parts are finally here but the job isn't as simple as bolting it on from the outside. The roof upholstery lining needs to be removed to expose the screws from inside the cabin and then replace the rails. Am in a dilemma on getting it opened.

1.Not so worried about them being able to fix the roof rail but will the fit and finish of the roof upholstery remain the same.
2. Are the tata technicians good enough to do this job or will it lead to bigger problems.

Any feedback based on similar experiences at the Tata A.S.S workshops. I will be getting it done at Concorde motors workshop on ECR (Injambakkam), Chennai. need to leave the beast for a full day.

Looking forward to some advice soon
Old 15th February 2016, 15:58   #715
Senior - BHPian

Hi Seek,

Sad to hear this.
You need to involve the Area Service Manager into this. If they mess up anything on the inside or any vibrations creep up, they will need to fix/replace anything required.

This is a dicey situation. Please ask them plan this in a way that the best mechanics are available for this work and work is not done by some newbie.

Ask them to include a interior cleaning job after this as the interior will be very dirty after this. Ask them to cover seats etc. for this work.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 16:20   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
....I am considering Safari for business use (intra-city and inter-city commute mainly) and want to understand the main differences between Dicor and Storme...
I think the official report should give extensive details into this. Please do read it couple of times over 2-3 days.

The chassis, steering components, suspension, interior bits etc have all been new. Having test driven both Dicor & Storme, the choice is very clear that it has to be Storme. I know guys who actually "upgraded" to a Storme from Dicor.

The Storme's interiors are lot better, ride is equally good, handling way better with better steering feel. Reading about the varicor 400, I think that's the best version of Safari so far.

Two things that Dicor still has advantage are the macho looks with stepney on the rear door and the driver seat size. But I read that the Storme driver seat is also good on support on long drives.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th February 2016 at 16:22.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 11:15   #717
BHPian

Storme Tuff pictures from Motor Trend page.
http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/71...ge-gallery.htm.

All the accessories shown on this vehicle will be available at the TATA dealerships.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-98447478.jpg  

2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-100257187.jpg  

2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-100257181.jpg  

Last edited by damodar : 18th February 2016 at 11:26.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 20:10   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
Hi Folks. Need some advice from existing owners. I picked my storme a few weeks back and noticed on the next day after delivery that one roof rail was cracked on the top and another had major rubbing marks on it at the same place (about a foot from the end of the rail).
Congrats on your storme!
Sorry to hear about the roof rail. I understand how it must feel to consider opening up ur new vehicle on the first week. Please climb up and check the rear roof that is ribbed .Check for signs of damages from top of roof as the ribbed roof is at the same height as the railing top.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2016 at 07:33. Reason: Trimming quote test
Old 20th February 2016, 14:27   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Storme Tuff pictures from Motor Trend page.
http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/71...ge-gallery.htm.

All the accessories shown on this vehicle will be available at the TATA dealerships.
Read the article and seems that Tata Safari TUFF was equipped with HUD (Heads Up Display) of some kind, 17" blackened alloy wheels (which IMO looks awesome) and even a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) along with lots of other stuff. I was particularly curious about the HUD, Alloy Wheels and TPMS.

I enquired about these to a couple of Tata Dealers (one in GZB and other on Delhi) but could not get any information about any of these. Also, enquired about the 17" alloy wheels and all they said was that these haven't yet been released by Tata.

Any idea when we can expect them to reach dealers or where they might be available already?

Cheers!
Old 20th February 2016, 14:59   #720

Guys, I have 3 queries:
1. Can the 1st generation Storme's clutch be upgraded to the current version's ones? If no, why not?
2. Can the new 63 liters fuel tank fit directly without any modifications on the old Storme?
3. Can we fit the integrated music system in the old Storme? If so, how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks