Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 17:18   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Wonder why OEM's in india do not provide front and rear overhang, approach, departure and ramp breakover figures in their brochure which usually contains the vehicle line drawings with only overall length, width and height!
I guess under our country's norms it is not mandatory..??
Same vehicle if it is exported to EU or UK will carry these information. For an SUV with 4x4 abilities this kind of data will definitely be welcomed by the mud-plugging enthusiasts.
Old 26th November 2015, 17:20   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi Raj, by chance, do you have any info if the gear ratios have been revised for all gears, or is it a 6th gear that's added to the transmission? If it's the same ratios on the 5 forward gears, fuel efficiency might still remain the same in pure city drive conditions.
In my opinion, they will try to include the sixth gear by closing the ratios rather than extending it on the outside. This is so that the 400nm can start becoming available a little earlier than usual, as by making the ratios closer, you will be in a higher rpm earlier. Overall, this will improve driveablility, like in the XUV. The present 320nm set-up with 5-speed does not get any reasonable torque out before 1700rpm.
In fact, I won't be surprised if TATA has copied the XUV gearbox. Personally, I do not like changing gears too much and that is where I feel driving the 400nm Storme will be more pleasurable than the present XUV, which develops lesser torque.
sasi405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:30   #528
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
I have to now let go the Storme. The beast has done 40700kms so far with absolutely no breakdowns or issues. I have put up ads in various websites. In case any of you know someone who is interested, you can PM me. Thanks.
To your earlier query on resale value you are looking at about 40% drop on ex-showroom price when bought at 2 year mark and 60% at 3 year mark. Change of year to 2016 in Jan can drop another 5%.

Have experienced much greater depreciation than industry standard for Tata vehicles bought by me earlier.

For my Aria bought at 15.5 Ex showroom and about 18 OTR, the offer was 6L after 2 years or so. For the Safari had faced the same earlier so each time differed sale and finally had the vehicle with me for 10 years. For a Tata vehicle selling off in less than 5-7 years is a greater loss than on other brands.

Best of Luck with the sale, am sure you have kept the vehicle in fine nick. The best price you can get would be directly through an individual buyer. Talk to your service centre guys to recommend someone who is looking for a safari and comes over to them for service. You can promise them a nice cut for helping you out with the sale.

Last edited by ACM : 26th November 2015 at 17:33.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:37   #529
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried to find out whether the 2015 larger fuel tank will fit in to the earlier Stormes without issue (clearance, mounting)?

How much do you think the fuel tank would cost?
Old 27th November 2015, 07:39   #530
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 launched at Rs 13.52 lakh

source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-398853.aspx

Tata Motors has launched a more powerful version of the Safari Storme with the mighty Varicor 400 iteration of its 2.2-litre diesel engine and a new gearbox. Priced at Rs 13.52 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), the Safari Storme Varicor 400 can only be had in the top VX trim.
This version develops 154.8bhp and 40.78kgm of torque as against the 148bhp and 32.63kgm of torque of the 2.2-litre motor powering the lower variants, and the Varicor 400 engine is paired to a new six-speed manual gearbox and shift-on-the-fly all-wheel drive. The lower variants of the Safari Storme continue to use a five-speed manual gearbox.
The Varicor 400-equipped Safari Storme gets no cosmetic changes over its less powerful iterations except for the new Varicor 400 badging.
The Safari Storme Varicor 400 gets all the features present in the facelifted Safari Storme, including a new audio system with USB, Bluetooth and Aux connectivity, rear parking sensors, steering-mounted controls and a rear passenger centre arm rest.
knaveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 09:58   #531
BHPian

I don't know when the TCS would learn to update the website properly !

https://safari.tatamotors.com/price-list

Site says "THE EX-SHOWROOM PRICE OF TATA SAFARI STORME RANGES FROM RS 9.99 LAKH TO RS 13.08 LAKH AND TATA SAFARI DICOR PRICE RANGES FROM RS 8.97 LAKH TO RS 10.27 LAKH. TATA SAFARI STORME IS AVAILABLE IN 3 VARIANTS I.E. LX, EX & VX WHILE TATA SAFARI DICOR IS AVAILABLE IN 2 VARIANTS I.E. LX AND EX."

And the most pathetic update to the table for Storme - All the variants are named "4x2 refreshed" and the EX has a price tag for 4x4 !

Prem.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:59   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I don't know when the TCS would learn to update the website properly !

And the most pathetic update to the table for Storme - All the variants are named "4x2 refreshed" and the EX has a price tag for 4x4 !
Funny thing is that even the Nano website gets better treatment than the Safari website!

Supposedly the flagship product, but poorest website. Indicates the marketing prriorities, maybe.
Old 28th November 2015, 08:55   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
concerns

Have you gone that route already?

Which is the best box available?

Cost?

Hit on fuel mileage?

Would be nice to have more grunt for highway runs.

Can the tyres and the engine/gearbox take the increased performance?

P.S. You could PM me also please in case of speed or warranty concerns.
Not me, my close friend has tried a dieseltronics box on his Dicor 2.2 (same engine, gearbox is G76 mark 1 instead of mark 2).
There are basically 3 power maps: P1/2/3, with 1 geared exclusively for fuel economy, P2 is the normal mode and P3 releases all the power to be had. We tested the car exclusively in P3 mode and it was doing wheel-spins in 3rd gear. Seat of the pants acceleration felt significantly faster, but the power delivery is also far more jerkier, especially compared with the Storme. The car responds in a on/off manner so to speak, it is the result of the higher torque figures coming in at lower rpm coupled with the same gear ratios. A phone gps 0-100 kmph run was conducted with/without the power box and it gave a decrease of almost 1.2 seconds in 0-100 in the P3 mode.
Top speed however remains the same since the gear ratios are unchanged, however the car gets to its top end much earlier, the other issue to be noted is the presence of visible black smoke during hard acceleration which is not seen in the normal modes. If you need more information I can share his number with you on PM.

PS: all high speed runs were conducted in a safe manner, on closed roads and not on open public highways.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 28th November 2015 at 08:57.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 13:02   #534
BHPian

I had it on my dicor for an year. You are right, P3 felt a bit more jerkier. P2 was the best on dicor. On P2 power delivery was more linear and I was able to use 3rd gear where I had to use 2nd without the box. I didn't feel any significant increase or decrease in fuel consumption figures.

Now that I have a refreshed storme (320nm) I don't feel like using the box again. As of now I am pretty happy with the drivability the new storme offers. May be I will try the box once the warranty is over. I still have the box with me.
BipB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 12:25   #535
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when 400nm will be available with the dealers? Anyone saw this version at dealership?
Old 29th November 2015, 13:55   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Any idea when 400nm will be available with the dealers? Anyone saw this version at dealership?
Concorde Mumbai saying that one has to place an order before one can take delivery. Promising 1 month, but I'm not sure that they can deliver within that time frame. It really depends if they have actually started production on this model, I would gather.
Old 29th November 2015, 16:35   #537
BHPian

So here goes - I have been contemplating on picking up the storme refresh since the last 3-4 months. Multiple visits to the Tata showroom and a test drive later, I am now on the verge of booking the EX variant (Urban Bronze Colour). Went for the final quote negotiations to concorde motors, velachery, chennai today and this is the deal.
1. 43 K cash discount (40K standard + a negotiated 3 K) plus some rubber floor mats and mud flaps.
2. Delivery time of maximum 2 weeks.

Works out to 13.83 L on road including the 18 K for extended warranty (7K) and AMC package (11 K)

Need your opinion on the following:
1. Is this the best deal going around (I was told this deal was on till last week but they are "still willing" to extend it to me) or is there more room for negotiation or squeezing in accessories some of you may have got in.
2. I am convinced about the extended warranty but does the AMC Package for 11 K make sense.
3. The SA will confirm the insurance provider (most likely Chola). But any feedback on this aspect will help too.

I will be closing the deal this week if all goes well, so keep your responses flowing!

Last edited by Seek : 29th November 2015 at 16:37.
Old 29th November 2015, 16:49   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
So here goes - I have been contemplating on picking up the storme refresh since the last 3-4 months. Multiple visits to the Tata showroom and a test drive later, I am now on the verge of booking the EX variant (Urban Bronze Colour).
The deal looks fine. Dealers in NCR are offering similar quotes.
Why didn't you try used car market for Storme? Narayan's Storme is available as per his post in last page.
Old 29th November 2015, 16:52   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
In the new version (safari storme 400) if the increased performance is due to an engine tuning job, is it possible to get that done in the existing version once warranty etc is over?
Your existing gearbox cannot handle the extra torque. Pls stick to just cosmetic changes after market.
Old 29th November 2015, 17:10   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The deal looks fine. Dealers in NCR are offering similar quotes.
Why didn't you try used car market for Storme? Narayan's Storme is available as per his post in last page.
Is anyone being offered any discounts in Mumbai?

I have been offered none - maybe a hint at 15k off a 4x2 VX (looking at the 400nm model, could take the 320nm - as this would be used by a driver mostly), but not even sure I recall being offered a flat-out discount...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
So here goes - I have been contemplating on picking up the storme refresh since the last 3-4 months. Multiple visits to the Tata showroom and a test drive later, I am now on the verge of booking the EX variant (Urban Bronze Colour). Went for the final quote negotiations to concorde motors, velachery, chennai today and this is the deal.
1. 43 K cash discount (40K standard + a negotiated 3 K) plus some rubber floor mats and mud flaps.
2. Delivery time of maximum 2 weeks.

Works out to 13.83 L on road including the 18 K for extended warranty (7K) and AMC package (11 K)

Need your opinion on the following:
1. Is this the best deal going around (I was told this deal was on till last week but they are "still willing" to extend it to me) or is there more room for negotiation or squeezing in accessories some of you may have got in.
2. I am convinced about the extended warranty but does the AMC Package for 11 K make sense.
3. The SA will confirm the insurance provider (most likely Chola). But any feedback on this aspect will help too.

I will be closing the deal this week if all goes well, so keep your responses flowing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks