Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2015, 00:39   #211
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Libra I believe you have opted for an Astern Black 4X4. I was at Concorde South Ex today to get my number plates. I took delivery of my Storme on July 10 after opting for a Urban Bronze 4X4 instead of Arctic Silver. I believe Astern Black and Arctic Silver 4X4 have a long waiting period.

By the way, I am very happy with the Urban Bronze as it not as common as Silver. 70 % XUV' 500's are Silver (4 of my neighbours own Silver XUV's). It is pretty popular colour choice with Duster owners.
Yes you are right, black it is. I wanted something close to my complexion.
Libra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 01:28   #212
BHPian

Thanks for the support BipB and apachelongbow. I've made up my mind for the storme now after a lot of considering. I believe the current storme is much more refined than the dicor(after all you have experienced both the dicor and the storme). Issues with the rattles and the latches, these i'll have to face and live with I guess. Just hope that i don't get delivered a lemon. Would be finalizing on the EX or VX variant. EX would suit me the most. Will decide after I know about the OTR price etc details.
Old 19th July 2015, 15:49   #213
BHPian

My maternal uncle has bought himself a new Storme based upon my recommendations, and he is totally blown away by the beast. He opted for the EX, urban bronze colour. He got the VX alloys for some extra money. He has done some upgradation to the the HK unit by adding 2 woofers or something like that. The car is quite comfortable. Earlier, he owned a Xylo in which he complained that he could not even think about changing lanes in moderate to high speeds. This was probably due to its tall stance, outdated ladder-frame chassis and smaller tyres. As we live in different cities, I am yet to get my hands on the Storme.
Old 19th July 2015, 18:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirdayitantrik View Post
My maternal uncle has bought himself a new Storme based upon my recommendations, and he is totally blown away by the beast. He opted for the EX, urban bronze colour. He got the VX alloys for some extra money. He has done some upgradation to the the HK unit by adding 2 woofers or something like that. The car is quite comfortable. Earlier, he owned a Xylo in which he complained that he could not even think about changing lanes in moderate to high speeds. This was probably due to its tall stance, outdated ladder-frame chassis and smaller tyres. As we live in different cities, I am yet to get my hands on the Storme.
Did he take delivery of the vehicle from Concorde South Ex II on Friday. I saw an Urban Bronze EX with optional alloys being prepared for delivery when I visited the dealership to get the High Security Number plates fixed.

I have completed a little over 320 km in the last 10 days .I will be starting an ownership thread in some time after getting to experience it a bit more.
Old 19th July 2015, 22:57   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Did he take delivery of the vehicle from Concorde South Ex II on Friday. I saw an Urban Bronze EX with optional alloys being prepared for delivery when I visited the dealership to get the High Security Number plates fixed.

I have completed a little over 320 km in the last 10 days .I will be starting an ownership thread in some time after getting to experience it a bit more.
He has got his Storme from a dealer in Lucknow. But a nice coincidence..! It is a great vehicle, and the day I gather enough money, I will make the purchase with my eyes closed. The only drawback(or maybe not) that I observed in the Storme is the lack of a viable 3rd row. Enough has already been said about this issue so I will hold my horses, but it is a marvelous vehicle indeed.

Yesterday I saw a black Dicor with custom alloys and it looked heavenly. It looks so manly and I somehow miss the mounted spare wheel, despite of knowing the issues related to it. It has its own charm. Had it been more refined or even equivalent to the Storme in some aspects, it would have been the vehicle of my choice. If only the Storme could be as "sexy" as the Dicor...

P.S. - Congratulations on your purchase. Waiting for your ownership thread. Happy mile crunching..

Last edited by nirdayitantrik : 19th July 2015 at 22:59.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:36   #216
BHPian

So I've finally visited the TML. I could feel my heart pounding as i was nearing a brand new Arctic white Safari Storme VX in the corner. What a huge vehicle Storme is. Aptly named as truck by many bhpians. One can feel the sturdiness of the beast easily by the first close look itself. I felt that even a hit by lorry wouldn't even scratch the passengers inside. The doors close with an exceptional thud. I just opened the doors and closed them several times just for hearing that. The sales representative watched me as if I'm seeing a car so close for the first time in my life. My childhood dream of being in a safari finally partly came true(as the vehicle is only for display purposes). Getting in and out of the vehicle was a different experience. My wife was shocked looking at me climbing the beast. Elderly people may have a hard time getting in and out. The steering is an obstacle while getting in the vehicle(as already mentioned by fellow BHPians) As said by the gurus, whole world is visible from the driver's point of view except the rear. A reverse guiding camera would be very helpful according to me. I couldn't observe the interiors much as i was full of endorphins being in my dream vehicle. Also everything was covered in plastic. Sadly that was the TD vehicle in display. I guess it recently arrived at the showroom, not yet ready for the test drives.

The sales representative who reached out to me didn't even have the basic knowledge regarding the Safari. He just read the brochure and pointed out the new changes in the storme. I couldn't stop laughing. He even told me that dicor production has been stopped and no dicors were available. But finally he accepted that he didn't know much about the vehicle and a Safari sales representative would contact me at the earliest. So they did 2 days later and the delivery time was about 15-20 days according to them, irrespective of the color. I double checked. They were sure of this. Dicor's waiting was a minimum of 45 days. I tried to include a pic of the price list, but couldn't. I'll try to post later.

Break up of the OTR price

Ex-showroom-11,65,334
Insurance-48,382
Life Tax-2,19,895(it's a whooping 14.5% in Karnataka)
Logistics-6,500
Basic Accessories- 1,800( includes mud flaps and carpets)
OTR-14,41,911

No discounts currently. There may at the time of Dussera in month of October.
Extended Warranty for 4th year-7,102
Gold AMC(3yrs or 30,000 kms)-38,500

I have a few questions. So help me out T-bhpians.
1) I'm planning for a car loan with a loan amount of about 70% of on-the-road value and for term of 3 or 4 years. This would be my first loan. So I'm completely new to this loaning system. My bank manager informed that he would provide me the loan with an floating interest rate of 10.1% currently and some initial charges of 0.5%(loan processing charges) and no pre-closure charges and also he would sanction me within a day or 2 at the most. Is this a fair deal? Any thing else should i inquire? Any other guidance?
2) The sales representative informed that altering any electrical components would void the warranty. So installing reverse camera or any navigation devices or additional lights would void the warranty. Is it true?
3) Differences between gold and silver AMC? Opting which one would be on the safer side considering the vehicle.
4) Registration charges are shown as 7500 INR. Till now all vehicles i've driven, registration was done by myself at the RTO. I don't remember the charges to be this high(not sure anyways). Is it worthy to opt this? I don't mind clearing my schedule for a day for the registration.
5) Any other things i should know or find out with the TML dealer or the bank?
6) Regarding the discounts, can we bargain for any, from the dealer? Or is it advisable to wait for another 2 or 3 months till october? Do they make much difference? One of my friend advised to take home the vehicle at the year end as there would be jaw dropping prices at year end. I wouldn't mind the year of vehicle as i don't intend to sell the vehicle at all. Are these price differences that huge?

I'll shop around finding out about the other banks and also regarding insurance. Also anything i should know more about regarding anything T-bhpians please advise. Always welcome for suggestions and advises.
Old 21st July 2015, 00:17   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
So I've finally visited the TML.

Doc,
I presume that is the pricing for Ex? For me, on road pricing was around 13lk. Tax in Kerala is not that heavy and insurance was just 17k, thanks to the NCB!

On the bank loan, are you taking it from private sector banks? SBI was offering 0.25% only as processing fee for up to 25lk. Interest seems to be fine to me. Floating interest rates and zero pre-closure charge is the way to go. (I am not a finance guy, but this is what I heard from my Dad who used to work for a public sector bank).

About the warranty, what the sales guy said seems to true. But in my opinion, it depends on your rapport with those at TASS at the time of dispute! You can anyway avoid it by getting the TATA approved accessories from TASS it self. Reverse cam is available with them. Price is somewhat high compared to market rates. You should be able to get some discounts, don’t hesitate to negotiate!

I have not opted for an AMC, can’t help you on that part. I stay out of the country most of the time and our cars are not much used. Thought AMC is of not much help, maybe I am wrong. I haven’t checked the difference in expenses yet.

Registration charges, in Kerala I just paid less than a 1000 bucks at RTO through our agent. His fee of 100 bucks is included in it. I am sure it should be even less than 900 bucks, they have their ways!

Currently there is an offer of Rs 60,000 for all those who own a safari and is looking for an upgrade. Try to negotiate, Safari is not sold every day. Sales guys should be able to get you some discounts or at least some freebies. Of course they will drop the prices around festive season. You might be able to presume an approximate figure easily. Question is ‘Do you want to be in it today or extend the dream further!’ (That is how I thought in a similar situation, others might have better advises, views)

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2015 at 01:20. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 21st July 2015, 00:42   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Doc,
I presume that is the pricing for Ex?
Yes it's the pricing of EX. Forgot to mention it. my bad.

Quote:
On the bank loan, are you taking it from private sector banks?
It's State back of hyderabad. I actually don't remember the exact processing charges. It was below or equal to 0.5%. I'm not sure though.

Quote:
Reverse cam is available with them. Price is somewhat high compared to market rates. You should be able to get some discounts, don’t hesitate to negotiate!
Sure thing. I'll plan the accessories from the showroom itself then.

Quote:
Registration charges, in Kerala I just paid less than a 1000 bucks at RTO through our agent. His fee of 100 bucks is included in it. I am sure it should be even less than 900 bucks, they have their ways!
That's what I thought. I don't remember registration charges to be that absurd. It's actually around 10k it seems for the storme. This was the latest update from the dealer.

Quote:
Try to negotiate, Safari is not sold every day. Sales guys should be able to get you some discounts or at least some freebies. Of course they will drop the prices around festive season. You might be able to presume an approximate figure easily. Question is ‘Do you want to be in it today or extend the dream further!’ (That is how I thought in a similar situation, others might have better advises, views)
Actually I can't wait to get my hands on the beast. I've waited too long. So waiting another 3 or 4 months would sure be torture to me. Home department thought if there's significant difference in the price, then it's better to wait and also reminded me that waiting period would take a month anyhow. I'll try to squeeze the dealership for any discounts atleast.
Old 21st July 2015, 01:18   #219
BHPian

Quote:
It's State back of hyderabad. I actually don't remember the exact processing charges. It was below or equal to 0.5%. I'm not sure though.

Please go through this thread. Quite a lot of useful info is available there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-g...finance-deal-0

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2015 at 08:43. Reason: Fixing quotes.
BipB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:30   #220
BHPian

Going through the thread I've noticed a lot of people are now opting for the 4x4. This is encouraging and I hope it leads to an improvement in the TASS's knowledge regarding servicing and troubleshooting of 4x4 equipment. I still remember the owner of TASS trying to talk me out of opting for a 4x4 Dicor in 2009. He told me that they had sold only a single 4x4 since the 2008 facelift launch and his servicing team didn't know much about the 4x4 equipment. So if I insist on buying the same despite advice to the contrary, I should be mentally prepared and not complain later. Lol, how times change... and hopefully for good.
Old 21st July 2015, 13:04   #221
BHPian

Quote:
So I've finally visited the TML.
Hi doc, please don't let the sales executive misguide you. The waiting period is more than a month. Even longer for a 4x4 version.

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2015 at 13:46. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 21st July 2015, 16:43   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info BipB. Already went through that when the thought of loan came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
The waiting period is more than a month. Even longer for a 4x4 version.
That's what i strongly believe. The dealer was quite sure regarding the delivery. Even TD for me might take another week or so. I'll be visiting the showroom again day after tomorrow and re-check regarding the delivery. By the way Libra, when's your vehicle expected? I'm thinking of Astern Black too.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:33   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info BipB. Already went through that when the thought of loan came up.

That's what i strongly believe. The dealer was quite sure regarding the delivery. Even TD for me might take another week or so. I'll be visiting the showroom again day after tomorrow and re-check regarding the delivery. By the way Libra, when's your vehicle expected? I'm thinking of Astern Black too.
I think I should get it in the coming week. That's what I have been told by one of the big boys in tata. I think black looks best, it would be tougher to maintain I am sure.
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:06   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
Hi All,

It has been 3 days since I got my DC (Storme). ...

Things That I like:

What I am struggling with:

These are the observations from my 1st 50 KMs of driving. Thought I would share and benefit from your responses if I need to correct something or do it in a different manner.
Status Update:

Days Since DC came home: 21
Distance Travelled: 1800 Kms

Observations - Things Going Well:
1. Super Quite - No squeaks or other sounds from any corner.

2. Commanding View

3. Driving Comfort & Ride Quality: There is a 1 KM patch of lunar crater landscape on the road that connects my house with highway. Recent heavy rains have seen all the potholes filled. The traffic of dumper trucks and other trucks is heavy on this stretch. The way the beast handles this bad piece of road is amazing. I shudder to think that if I had not got my DC 22 days back, I would be struggling through a nightmarish experience everytime I drove my esteem to the office and back.

4. Music System: Awesome! Having lsitened to most genre of music, I am convinced that I actually don't feel the need for an active sub woofer. The Bass is really good and the the speakers are distortion less.

6. Gears, Acceleration, Braking and Clutch: Clutch is lighter than my sedan and the brakes much more reassuring now that I have tested them in most conditions you get on India roads. The spEed in 5th Gear at 2100 RPM is 100KMs. Gears slot nicely and I have got used to the gear shift pattern.

What I have got used to:

1. Getting In and Out
2. Gear Shifts
3. Instrument Cluster
4. Reversing: Got a Rear View Cam fixed without affecting warrantly from after market. Costs 3200/ and is a real value add in terms of functionality. A real must, I would say.

What I am struggling with :

1. Sense of Speed: This continues to be struggle. Because of the silence, height from road and better ride quality, I still get the feel that the car is ambling lazily while it may be cruising at 90. I normally return from office at lean traffic period and often I have checked myself from speeding beyond a limit because the feel of rushing through is not apparent.

2. Shifting To the Left Lane: While the ORVMs are really big and display complete area, in case of sudden change to left lane, I find that I have to turn my neck all the way to left to see the ORVM. In my esteem, I just have to flick my neck a little to see the view. The solution lies in gettinga wide angle view mirror on the bonnet that is common on fortuners. Plan to get this fixed on the bonnet

Need Your Advice On
1. A colleague told me that I need to watch the temp indicator and till it shows engine sufficiently warmed up, should desist from acceleration and revving up. Any other such advice?

2. Gurgaon roads are filled with water and convert into swim lanes at sudden downpour. Often, I have had to take the storme through these stretches. Being new to this car, I tend to take these in 1st gear at high revs fearing I should not stall in middle. But the engine actually seem to struggle in 1st gear. I would want to shift to 2nd gear but the fear of stall stops me from doing it. Should I shift to the 2nd or higher gear midstream or continue in the current gear at higher revs?

As usual, I look forward to some great advice on my somewhat stupid queries
aviddenis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:51   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
Status Update:
Got a Rear View Cam fixed.
Can you post some pictures of this unit please? Is this with a separate screen mounted on dash or the clip on type? Appreciate some pictures of the camera as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks