Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 15:58   #1261
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Talking about AT versus MT versus AWD debate :
My take on it from my experience of 5 months with W8 MT FWD :

1)I would go for the AT because :
A)XUV MTs gear shifts - not a strong point . Its quite notchy.
(especially while down shifting from 3rd to 2nd)
B)The paradigm is shifting towards ATs in India - slowly but surely.
C)Aisin make AT box - peace of mind (although relative )

I would prefer an AT XUV over an MT AWD XUV any day unless my usage would demand an AWD compulsorily in which case it might not be a XUV at all.

Budget permitting i wouldn't mind spending on AWD XUV AT.
In case i have to choose between the 2- it would be AT over an AWD XUV.
madhu33 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 16:47   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Talking about AT versus MT versus AWD debate :
My take on it from my experience of 5 months with W8 MT FWD :

Budget permitting i wouldn't mind spending on AWD XUV AT.
In case i have to choose between the 2- it would be AT over an AWD XUV.
Thanks for your input madhu. Appreciate your point of view. Will definitely consider what you have put forth before taking the decision.

Meanwhile the dealership guy just called up and said he cannot get the W10 AWD AT for a test drive today and will be scheduling it for tomorrow. Highly unprofessional behavior. I think I best stick to the Mahindra owned NBS who seem more professional. The other dealership I'm not so sure now .
Old 26th April 2016, 17:49   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
After a month with the manual would you consider choosing the A T if given the choice or is it just a passing thought
Keep revving!
Cheers
If I could go back in time, I would consider the AT option very seriously. However, would the lack of AT make me consider reducing the frequency of driving the XUV in the city- No, I do not think so.

I am not sure if this is relevant- given that I have never driven an AT before, but what i usually do in bumper to bumper traffic is use the clutch- brake combo. In AT, what do AT users do? Use the brake accelerator combo? So the only thing gets rest is the hand?

Last edited by ajayclicks : 26th April 2016 at 18:17. Reason: Added some additional points
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:36   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
If I could go back in time, I would consider the AT option very seriously. However, would the lack of AT make me consider reducing the frequency of driving the XUV in the city- No, I do not think so.

I am not sure if this is relevant- given that I have never driven an AT before, but what i usually do in bumper to bumper traffic is use the clutch- brake combo. In AT, what do AT users do? Use the brake accelerator combo? So the only thing gets rest is the hand?
And the left foot.
Many times you just need the brakes, as autos will creep from a standstill. So you just brake as needed.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:54   #1265
Senior - BHPian

For all those in an dilema about AT or manual, and those who think they will use a smaller car in city, forget that thought. Just go in for an auto, once you are used to the width of the car, it is actually easier to drive a high seating crossover like an XUV than a smaller car in city traffic.

Quote:
I only use the brake as needed, even at idle most AT's move ahead as soon as brake is released throttle need not be touched at all, if you want to be at speed about 8-10 km, if you want more a light pulse on the accelerator and release, your car has upshifted, and now you are moving at about 15 kph at idle, and foot is ready to brake if an idiot cuts across.

With two manuals and one automatic's at home, and the way automatics are gaining market, I always wonder weather I will find buyers for the manuals when I wish to sell them a few years later. In 2004 I had difficulty selling my 1996 Esteem VX which was a manual.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 26th April 2016 at 18:58.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 11:41   #1266
BHPian

Dear All,
Finalized my decision on W10 FWD Manual.
Need your inputs on the authenticity of the below. Dealer refused to give any further discounts in the current month than the standard ones that are offered jointly with Mahindra. No freebies what so ever. I was told that if I choose to buy additional accessories then they might consider some discounts on the accessories (This is unsure too).

On discussing with the Sales Manager on my thoughts of getting the insurance on my own, I was discouraged and was told that getting the insurance other than the dealer will mean that I am not eligible for any cashless repairs. Need to get hold of the insurance agent on my own. Proceedings would get delayed so on and so forth.I was even told that, getting an insurance on my own would mean that some of the key benefits (which are otherwise provided by dealer) will not provided and hence they will be able to provide rates at a lesser price than the one compared to the dealer.

Dealer I am referring to is from Mangalore - Karnataka Agencies. Over all not a good experience talking to the Sales Manager. To me it sounded that if not me they have quite a lot of folks to get vehicle from them and hence they need not oblige. I even cited the facts of getting better pricing/discounts from Bangalore dealers (India Garage - as one of friend recently purchased from India Garage) to which I was told that, Bangalore dealers buy in bulk and are unable to sell the vehicle. Hence pass on the benefit to customers which otherwise would have been spent on the interest they pay. Manager also gave me the gyan of they selling in good numbers in Hassan/Sullia though the customers there have the choice of going to Bangalore dealers (In-spite Karnataka Agencies not offering any discounts). Sorely miss having another dealership network to curb this monopoly.

I do have the choice of getting the vehicle from Bangalore as well. The only factor that is stopping me is to have a KA 19 registration (hometown affection)!

However sales executive was extremely helpful and very talented. I felt the effort he is putting in in convincing the customers to show the goodness what XUV offers is not duly supported by his sales Manager. Getting a better sales manager would really do justice to the team working under him!!

Last edited by kk28 : 27th April 2016 at 11:53.
Old 27th April 2016, 13:19   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
Finalized my decision on W10 FWD Manual.
I do have the choice of getting the vehicle from Bangalore as well. The only factor that is stopping me is to have a KA 19 registration (hometown affection)!
Hello kk28, have you explored the option of buying in Bangalore on a Temp Registration and then registering in Mangalore? That way you would be able to get a good deal from the Bangalore dealers and also have KA19 registration.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 13:56   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Hello kk28, have you explored the option of buying in Bangalore on a Temp Registration and then registering in Mangalore? That way you would be able to get a good deal from the Bangalore dealers and also have KA19 registration.
Hello Uday.. I did not know this was possible. Any hassles associated with this?
Any hidden costs? As per my understanding, if there exists a dealership in the city you want to register then you cannot purchase the vehicle from any other city.

Quote:
In AT, what do AT users do? Use the brake accelerator combo? So the only thing gets rest is the hand?
Our left foot is also spared from constant clutch engaging. Only right foot is used to manage the brakes and accelerator. Plus the added advantage of not having to constantly change gears thus giving added relief to the elbow/shoulders

Last edited by bblost : 27th April 2016 at 14:03. Reason: Back 2 Back posts.
Old 27th April 2016, 14:05   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Uday.. I did not know this was possible. Any hassles associated with this?
Any hidden costs? As per my understanding, if there exists a dealership in the city you want to register then you cannot purchase the vehicle from any other city.
Hi kk28, it is definitely possible and there is no hassles with this. Just inform the SA before hand and you can go ahead with the purchase. One of the bhpian had done this when XUV was launched, and he drove the car all the way to Mangalore after buying here and got it registered there.

Only thing is make sure you give a visit to RTO and confirm once. Also you might have to visit RTO multiple times to complete all the formalities, which should be an easy affair nowadays. Good luck with your purchase
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 14:31   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
However sales executive was extremely helpful and very talented. I felt the effort he is putting in in convincing the customers to show the goodness what XUV offers is not duly supported by his sales Manager. Getting a better sales manager would really do justice to the team working under him!!
Unless it is a substantial saving, I don't suggest getting the vehicle delivered in Bangalore. There would be lot of other costs like, moving the vehicle to Mlr-though it would be driven, getting a RTO agent-if you are not doing it on your own, and more importantly time-you may have to do multiple visits to RTO. Check for the difference, if it is 'reasonable' buy it locally.

Last edited by LoneRidder : 27th April 2016 at 14:33.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 14:38   #1271
BHPian

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:

Just to confirm again are you going in for the AT or the manual.

Our left foot is also spared from constant clutch engaging. Only right foot is used to manage the brakes and accelerator. Plus the added advantage of not having to constantly change gears thus giving added relief to the elbow/shoulders

Hii kk what rates are you getting at both the dealership I.e Bangalore / Mangalore. Are they giving any offers or any information for the xuv on the pre budget prices.
Also just to confirm are you going in for the AT or the manual version.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 27th April 2016 at 14:56.
Old 27th April 2016, 16:56   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Hii kk what rates are you getting at both the dealership I.e Bangalore / Mangalore. Are they giving any offers or any information for the xuv on the pre budget prices.
Also just to confirm are you going in for the AT or the manual version.
Mangalore Karnataka Agencies - Rs 19.45L (on Road) - No discounts and No Offers
Bangalore - Rs19.25 + Free Accessories (amount yet to be discussed)

I am going in for MT considering the mileage factor. Would have loved to go in for AT if mileage was not a constraint.
Old 27th April 2016, 20:17   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going in for MT considering the mileage factor. Would have loved to go in for AT if mileage was not a constraint.
Current day MT's with high HP engines have Dual mass clutches, replacing the set costs about Rs 50,000. Even if you replace after 1 Lakh km it is about Rs 0.50/km. In city effeciency of a 2.2 Lit diesel will drop by a max of 1.5 km/Lit.
assume from 11.5 to 10. For a Lakh km your manual will consume about 8700 Lit, while Auto will need 10,000 Lit. At Rs 55/ lit the 1300 Lit will cost you Rs 71500 more. The difference is negligible, you are not going in for a excessively undersized hatch back where effeciency will go down by 30-40% Current scene is different, but world wide TC auto trannies need far less attention than manuals, assume the same situation in India a few years from now.
Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 08:14   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Mangalore Karnataka Agencies - Rs 19.45L (on Road) - No discounts and No Offers
Bangalore - Rs19.25 + Free Accessories (amount yet to be discussed)

In Mumbai on road for the variant I have chosen the W8 AWD is coming to 19.38 plus around 40k for the accessories. Dealer is only giving car mats that too after a lot of persuasion. I too have opted for the MT.
Best wishes for your cheetah and my advice is to go in for the Mangalore one.Initial payment maybe more but it's always better to get a local dealership to hold accountable.

Hii guys need some input. Is the original Mahindra accessory reverse camera on the W8 same as the one on the W10. If not is there a better camera in the market that someone has used. Kindly advise.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2016 at 10:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 29th April 2016, 09:17   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
In Mumbai on road for the variant I have chosen the W8 AWD is coming to 19.38 plus around 40k for the accessories. Dealer is only giving car mats that too after a lot of persuasion. I too have opted for the MT.
Best wishes for your cheetah and my advice is to go in for the Mangalore one.Initial payment maybe more but it's always better to get a local dealership to hold accountable.
Apologies in advance if this ends up confusing you- but it is the question of our hard earned money. When I purchased my W8 AWD in Feb-Mar, its on road price in Bangalore was almost similar to W10 FWD- both the variants in manual transmission.

Now, we pay ~18% towards registration, LTT etc. and the vehicle is approximately 1- 1.5 lacs more expensive in Bangalore, than in other cities. KK28 has quoted 19.25 lacs for W10 FWD in Bangalore, and hence, isn't your quote for 19.38 lacs for W8 AWD in Mumbai on the higher side? Have you taken quotes from other dealers as well. Are you buying insurance from the dealer? Dealers in Bangalore quote 70K for insurance, and then offer discount on them. I took an alternate quote from policy bazaar, haggled like crazy and finally paid the dealer 40K for ICICI Lombard, and this is zero depreciation.

Quote:
Hii guys need some input. Is the original Mahindra accessory reverse camera on the W8 same as the one on the W10. If not is there a better camera in the market that someone has used. Kindly advise.
My dealer told me that they receive different units for W8 and other variants. Not sure if it is the same manufacturer. They insist on drilling the bumper, rather than installing on the camera bracket near the rear number plate. Inadequate length of wiring/ harness was the reason given to me. I am happy with the camera, including when I have to use it in my poorly lit basement parking. Please note, the dynamic green lines that we see in the infotainment screen wont work- they will remain straight even if you turn your steering wheel.
ajayclicks is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks