Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 02:47   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
-How is the reliability of XUV500,compared to that of the Fortuner?
XUV will probably throw minor niggles at you often, Nothing like that with the fortuner, But Nothing major reliability concern for both car, Both of them are proven and pretty reliable cars.
Quote:
-After sales service XUV500 vs Fortuner?
Depends from location to location, Service centre to service centre mainly, But Toyota has always pretty well known for its constant good after sales.
Quote:
-Which one will give better protection if one rear ends a multi axialtrailer " without the under run bar"
Rather than discussing about the outcome if a multi axial trailer rear ends, I would suggest you to always brake in advance and judge carefully, Make use of the ABS. Which car will provide better protection depends on a lot of factors, Both are well built structure wise no doubt.
Quote:
-Which one has a better service network pan India?
I have seen both Mahindra's and toyota's service centre's even in the most unexpected places, So it should be a tie here.

And the most important question
Quote:
New XUV500 (AWD)or a preowned Fortuner(4WD)? (Almost the same price)
If it was me, It would be a recently launched new car, For several reasons, Including a main reason, Resale value.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 09:50   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is an error actually. I should have checked it myself. Apologies.

W8 doesn't get passive keyless entry system. It is regular flip key type with an ignition hole.

Check a few pages back, I had done PDI for a BHPian friend who bought a W8.
No Anurag, the new batch W8 will come with the passive keyless entry system, probably from March 2015 manufactured. IMO the one you did PDI should be a February 2015 vehicle, hence it had a regular flip key type.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:48   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
No Anurag, the new batch W8 will come with the passive keyless entry system, probably from March 2015 manufactured. IMO the one you did PDI should be a February 2015 vehicle, hence it had a regular flip key type.
Must be typo - you mean 2016 I assume.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 11:44   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Must be typo - you mean 2016 I assume.
Yes Avinash, its a typo. I meant 2016 manufactured. Thanks for pointing it out
Old 28th March 2016, 11:59   #1190
BANNED

Quote:
Yes Avinash, its a typo. I meant 2016 manufactured. Thanks for pointing it out
Yes Sunay.

The XUV that I did the PDI was January 2016 manufactured.

If W8 too gets the passive keyless entry system, it is a great deal and becomes even more VFM.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 12:31   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes Sunay.

The XUV that I did the PDI was January 2016 manufactured.

If W8 too gets the passive keyless entry system, it is a great deal and becomes even more VFM.
Yes I think the step Mahindra has taken to upgrade the steed is really commendable and they are not letting off the VFM proposition. I am really impressed the way they have given the 7" unit in W6 and 6" in W4, along with few other features, which helps them to justify the price increase across models. Good Job Mahindra
Old 28th March 2016, 20:12   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I think the step Mahindra has taken to upgrade the steed is really commendable and they are not letting off the VFM proposition. I am really impressed the way they have given the 7" unit in W6 and 6" in W4, along with few other features, which helps them to justify the price increase across models. Good Job Mahindra
Absolutely!! The recent addition of features across the entire lineup of XUV is highly commendable. All manufacturers have had to revise their prices upwards cause of the extra taxation imposed in the recent budget, but at least Mahindra have compensated their XUV buyers to some extent by adding extra features across all variants.
I seriously hope that this move puts a big dent in the sales figures of Creta. 18.5 (on road Bangalore) for top end Creta, that's way way overpriced! Creta has been setting the sales charts of Hyundai on fire since it was launched, and this success has gone to Hyundai's head. Just hope the XUV, or anyone else for that matter brings them back down to earth.

Perhaps one thing which is still missing in w8 and which is dearly needed for such a big vehicle is the reverse parking camera! If that would have been included, w8 would have been real value for money.
I guess we can have the reverse parking camera of w10 installed in w8 as an accessory right? I'm sure Mahindra would have made provisions for that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
greatgyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 09:26   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
I guess we can have the reverse parking camera of w10 installed in w8 as an accessory right? I'm sure Mahindra would have made provisions for that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes a reverse camera can be installed. Not sure if it is the exact same unit though. I got the camera installed in my W8 and it differs from W10 in 2 aspects:
1. The dealers insist on installing it on the bumper. They claim that the unit available as an accessory does not have adequate wire length to install the camera near the tailgate number plate

2. The "dynamic assist" doesn't work. Those green/ yellow lines remain straight, even when you turn the steering.

Mine is a March manufactured vehicle, and I can confirm that it comes with smartkey, logo projection etc.

Cheers
ajayclicks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:17   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Yes a reverse camera can be installed. Not sure if it is the exact same unit though. I got the camera installed in my W8 and it differs from W10 in 2 aspects:
1. The dealers insist on installing it on the bumper. They claim that the unit available as an accessory does not have adequate wire length to install the camera near the tailgate number plate

2. The "dynamic assist" doesn't work. Those green/ yellow lines remain straight, even when you turn the steering.

Mine is a March manufactured vehicle, and I can confirm that it comes with smartkey, logo projection etc.

Cheers
Thanks a lot for the clarification! that clears our doubts.
The guide lines remaining static and not moving with rotation of the steering wheel shows that the accessory is installed as just a display system and is not integrated with the steering.
I presume the reverse parking camera installed as an accessory on w8 uses the existing infotainment system itself as the display.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:38   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
Thanks a lot for the clarification! that clears our doubts.
The guide lines remaining static and not moving with rotation of the steering wheel shows that the accessory is installed as just a display system and is not integrated with the steering.
I presume the reverse parking camera installed as an accessory on w8 uses the existing infotainment system itself as the display.
Yes, it is installed as an accessory. The dealers typically charge 3- 3.5K and then, if you negotiate, throw it in for free. I guess there is little motivation to ensure/install a unit that fits into the bracket provided near the number plate, and also integrate it into the steering.

Or maybe that is by design, to ensure that some differences remain between the W10 and the lower variants.

Cheers,
Ajay
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 13:08   #1196
BHPian

In all probable I will be booking W8 tomorrow. Just few lingering questions before I opt for this, appreciate experts input;
  • New budget price would only apply to the cars which are manufactured in the month of April. So, I would be getting a March manufactured W8(as SA is urging me for advance payment citing this reason) which will get registered in the 1st week of April with old budget rate. Am I wrong in understanding this??
  • I would still like to go for W10 but as per SA there are no stocks available for March manufactured as all available ones are pre-booked and none in transit. Not so encouraging news when I inquire about availability of W10 with other dealers in Bangalore. Can someone tell me how much of an increase they are talking about if I wait for new lot and get April manufactured W10?
  • Lastly, on W8 more than sunroof I would miss rear cam. IMO vehicle of this size would need rear cam and was dreading that I do not have to drill a hole somewhere even though there is a provision for cam above license plate. Looking at some previous posts looks like I do not have any other choice. My question to accessory guy was, why can't this be ordered as spare(as they would do if camera on W10 goes kaput) and fixed? His answer is you can do that by placing order at 5.5k but dynamic guide lines would not work

Last edited by BlueEyes : 29th March 2016 at 13:11.
Old 30th March 2016, 23:11   #1197
BHPian

Hi Folks:

So I have updated the new infotainment software on the NewAge XUV 500 today and it does look refreshing- indeed, a welcome step by Mahindra in this regard as part of a mass roll-out initiative from an 'optics' perspective

Please take note the Tire Pressure Management System(TPMS) has not yet been updated and as a result they have 'greyed it out'- the Service Advisor stated that an update relative to this is expected towards the end of this week. The team additionally reported that there are some TPMS software issues with the newly manufactured cars which is why they held off on updating it in the previous models.

One holistic change, as part of this update, has been the 'dynamic' functionality in the user experience- hope it doesn't open a can of worms or bugs(software I meant)

Screengrab of the Start-up video
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_7524.jpg

The New home screen- Look at the Date and Time; there also tends to be a GPS sync with Time should you choose that feature
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_7521.jpg

Distance to empty feature- The XUV tends to be dynamic
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_7526.jpg

New air conditioner control interface
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_7528.jpg

Addition of Automatic Transmission into the E-Manual
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_7532.jpg

Latest Software version
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_7530-003.jpg

Here is a video of the start-up flash video- it's in colour and looks like a steal from a sci-fi movie (please excuse the Malayalam radio song that accompanies soon after)

jacobvarughese is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 11:48   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
So I have updated the new infotainment software on the NewAge XUV 500 today and it does look refreshing- indeed, a welcome step by Mahindra in this regard as part of a mass roll-out initiative from an 'optics' perspective
Thanks for this update Jacob. It was much awaited. I hope they have fixed the bluetooth in-call disturbance issue with this.

The timing display with GPS sync was there in earlier versions too.

I see some changed graphics like DTE screen with mileage. There is new "info" icon at the top right which I assume is mapped to info button on the console. The ACC popup info screens are refreshed as well. Seems like a minor but welcome upgrade.

The only concern would be around TPMS section - It's an important safety thing and unless it is fixed, I would personally not go for this upgrade.

How is the map working? Do you get the current time display on the map screens?

Nevertheless, thank you for this detailed information - at least that sets our hopes to get this upgrade in another couple of weeks.

Last edited by abirnale : 31st March 2016 at 11:49.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 13:05   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks for this update Jacob. It was much awaited. I hope they have fixed the bluetooth in-call disturbance issue with this.

The timing display with GPS sync was there in earlier versions too.

I see some changed graphics like DTE screen with mileage. There is new "info" icon at the top right which I assume is mapped to info button on the console. The ACC popup info screens are refreshed as well. Seems like a minor but welcome upgrade.

The only concern would be around TPMS section - It's an important safety thing and unless it is fixed, I would personally not go for this upgrade.

How is the map working? Do you get the current time display on the map screens?

Nevertheless, thank you for this detailed information - at least that sets our hopes to get this upgrade in another couple of weeks.
Thanks Avinash- never faced the Bluetooth issues earlier, perhaps it's because I make fewer calls whilst on the move. You're spot-on about the linkage of the 'info' icon with that on the console.

Re:TPMS, I concur wholeheartedly with you. However, I was informed of this only after the install and it was circa 6:30pm - their technicians had wrapped up for the day. As a result, they assured me that they'd pop in to my residence when an update is announced(the Mahindra Trivandrum dealership under TVS is approximately 14-15 kms away from my home).

Apparently, the map was not covered as part of this software update- and it's the same old map without the current time being displayed

Last edited by jacobvarughese : 31st March 2016 at 13:07. Reason: Pertinent information added
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:26   #1200
BHPian

Hi Avinash et al;

I've now got the TPMS update installed- it does look slick and waits for a second for the pressure readings(only says OK like in the previous version) on each the 5 tires to be displayed.

Furthermore, the technical bloke also updated that a Navigation update has also been received (around 4 GB) and could get that installed later- apparently, the changes are the '3D' effect on buildings. He said it still doesn't show the current display time however.

Please find a short excerpt video of the Distance to Empty and the TPMS update - hope this now helps you, Avinash, to go ahead and install the update

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks