Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 15:20   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
We got the W10 AWD MT home last week. Colour is Opulent Purple. Coming from the 2.2 Dicor it feels like a significant upgrade in most (not all) areas.
Congrats Amogh. Please do share your comparative feedback esp areas where you feel its not an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikshan View Post
Great to hear that . True. I too believe that the product you get finally is something that counts. I am seeing lot of improvements in recent times but over a wide audience, still people have that feeling about consistency in the products from manufactures like Mahindra, Tata & as a matter of fact Maruti too. Anyway, that is a separate debate by itself.

Yes, I definitely need to install the side step but I need to first check whether my elderly parents would be able to easily Ingress with the side step. I will get that done during test drive. Thanks.
Karthik, I have had the XUV for 9 months now and have done meagre 6500km due to short commute and limited roadtrips i could manage in this phase, but overall the car has held well. Atleast I had no EFRs (early failure rates) as called by quality guys. Only minor rattles came up which were resolved and are well documented.

On comfort side i feel if you need car for 4 adults + 1 kid then Creta is perfect. If you need a car for 5 adults + kids then its XUV. On ingress/egress I think ingress is certainly a little bit of a challenge for sr citizens. My parents are around 70 and mom doesn't find getting in as easy as cars, though getting out is easier ofcourse. The side step is kinda mixed bag in my view due to limited width. The newer flatter kind of side step might be more effective than the tubular kind that was available in prev gen.
Old 4th January 2016, 15:40   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I definitely need to install the side step but I need to first check whether my elderly parents would be able to easily Ingress with the side step. I will get that done during test drive. Thanks.
Sidesteps are a definite requirement if you have elders using the cheetah. I recently installed sidesteps of Goldsun make, I went for the ABS plastic model which looks neat as there is a black cladding along the side and the step merges with that colour. I didn't want the aluminium one given by the ASS as the cheetah is already overloaded with chrome fairings and the cost didn't seemed justified. Spent 7.8K incl fitting and the steps seem sturdy enough. The only thing is it takes a while to get used to it if you are upgrading from a hatch/sedan. Makes the ingress/egress less cumbersome.
Old 4th January 2016, 17:07   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I recently installed sidesteps of Goldsun make, I went for the ABS plastic model which looks neat as there is a black cladding along the side and the step merges with that colour.
Have you seen anything similar as rear guard? I don't want to add anything silver or even visible metal to car anymore

EDIT:
Googled it and found this rear ABS nudge guard for XUV. Looks good.
http://www.goldsun.in/carproducts.php?car=27&cat=11

Last edited by abirnale : 4th January 2016 at 17:10.
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 19:58   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Karthik, I have had the XUV for 9 months now and have done meagre 6500km due to short commute and limited roadtrips i could manage in this phase, but overall the car has held well. Atleast I had no EFRs (early failure rates) as called by quality guys. Only minor rattles came up which were resolved and are well documented.
Rattles is something that would annoy me especially after having Polo for 5+ years and touch wood till date have got only 1 rattle that occasionally comes from rear left (saw some posts related to suspension bush. It is out of this thread and i won't go more into it). I am kind of guy who switches off audio system to listen to noises coming out. Had given a tough time to Service Manager when I was owning a Swift VxI earlier to VW Polo TDI. But as I said, I have to change myself. Not always you get cars without such small issues.

May I know what is the mileage that you are seen till now in your limited run. I have seen 12 as the mileage in the threads mostly, with city driving. My running would be around 1800 kms per month average (not fully bumper to bumper City traffic and considerable part of office commute would be on comparatively free roads). My Polo was returning me 17 to 19 most of the times on this combination in Chennai and for highways it was 21. I seriously have a problem here in XUV from mileage perspective . It is something I need to trade off if I give priority to 7 seater need. Also as someone was highlighting, 7 seater is for family long drives but no boot space is a constraint. Alternative is a roof carrier box that I have thought of. These are going to be decision parameters for me.

Quote:
On comfort side i feel if you need car for 4 adults + 1 kid then Creta is perfect. If you need a car for 5 adults + kids then its XUV. On ingress/egress I think ingress is certainly a little bit of a challenge for sr citizens. My parents are around 70 and mom doesn't find getting in as easy as cars, though getting out is easier ofcourse. The side step is kinda mixed bag in my view due to limited width. The newer flatter kind of side step might be more effective than the tubular kind that was available in prev gen.
Spot on, on the need. Family is myself, wife, 2 kids (11 years and 4 years old) and my elderly parents between 65 to 72 age bracket. Creta was more perfect as you said, only that 7 seater would help during long drives with family / friends (again not much, just 2 or 3 times a year). Also W6 with discounts (if any) is close to Creta SX in terms of price in Chennai. Wavering mind but I love the space in middle row in XUV. Movable middle row is a serious miss when comparing to Innova.

The side step that I see in the Mahindra Accessories seems to be the flat category that you were mentioning. I seem to be liking the appearance but I have to see the effectiveness during TD

Quote:
Sidesteps are a definite requirement if you have elders using the cheetah. I recently installed sidesteps of Goldsun make, I went for the ABS plastic model which looks neat as there is a black cladding along the side and the step merges with that colour. I didn't want the aluminium one given by the ASS as the cheetah is already overloaded with chrome fairings and the cost didn't seemed justified. Spent 7.8K incl fitting and the steps seem sturdy enough. The only thing is it takes a while to get used to it if you are upgrading from a hatch/sedan. Makes the ingress/egress less cumbersome.
I hope this is the one you are referring to.
http://www.goldsun.in/carproducts.php?car=27&cat=10

I hope this model has a quite decent weight limit . I don't find specifications for the product in the website.

Last edited by ampere : 4th January 2016 at 20:28. Reason: Back to Back posts merged
Old 4th January 2016, 22:15   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on, on the need. Family is myself, wife, 2 kids (11 years and 4 years old) and my elderly parents between 65 to 72 age bracket. Creta was more perfect as you said, only that 7 seater would help during long drives with family / friends (again not much, just 2 or 3 times a year). Also W6 with discounts (if any) is close to Creta SX in terms of price in Chennai. Wavering mind but I love the space in middle row in XUV. Movable middle row is a serious miss when comparing to Innova.
Sorry for this post, pardon me for that. However just wanted to share that I have more or less similar family like you, myself, wife (lean built), 2 kids (12 years and 3 years old) and my elderly parents (medium built) between 65 to 73 age bracket. I opted for a TUV3OO-T8 (rather downgraded to TUV from an Innova). Just in case if you are interested to know the full story, you can go through my TUV ownership thread --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rspective.html

That said your constraints could be different than mine and one size fits all may not be applicable. I wanted a car short in length (but large cabin space), tighter turning radius, rear wheel drive, pocket friendly, hence zeroed in on the TUV
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 00:54   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rattles is something that would annoy me especially after having Polo for 5+ years and touch wood till date have got only 1 rattle that occasionally comes from rear left (saw some posts related to suspension bush.

May I know what is the mileage that you are seen till now in your limited run. I have seen 12 as the mileage in the threads mostly, with city driving. My running would be around 1800 kms per month average (not fully bumper to bumper City traffic and considerable part of office commute would be on comparatively free roads). My Polo was returning me 17 to 19 most of the times on this combination in Chennai and for highways it was 21.

Spot on, on the need. Family is myself, wife, 2 kids (11 years and 4 years old) and my elderly parents between 65 to 72 age bracket.

I hope this model has a quite decent weight limit . I don't find specifications for the product in the website.
XUV is certainly no VW or Toyota category when it comes to ageing and being rattle/niggle free. But i dont think its a deal breaker either. New XUV is lil better of compared to prev gen but you will on and off get some issues and
A.S.S are usually responsive and supportive to fix them. Be mentally prepared for that.

Comparing Polo to mileage to XUV is like comparing apples to watermelon . In BLR bumper to bumper commute i manage about 10kmpl and highway is ~14kmpl, give or take 1kmpl. Dont expect wonders given the engine size and car weight.

For your family Creta wouldnt suit best as the 4 yr old will always be in lap. XUV actually is very good for 6. Because you can keep 50% rear row flat and get enough luggage space for weekend trips and use rest for 1 pax or 11 yr old. I have a family of 4 adults + a 2yr old daughter. I had no real need for a 7 seater and I didnt buy XUV for that. I chose XUV because of the space for 5. I can easily choose to have a car seat and still have 2 adults comfy vs. all other cars it will be a squeeze. When my daughter gets fidgety she actually can walk in the middle row give the huge leg room (not recommended practise for kids though).

For side step i would recommend sticking to metal as plastic will not be as abuse friendly. Rear guard would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Sorry for this post, pardon me for that. However just wanted to share that I have more or less similar family like you, myself, wife (lean built), 2 kids (12 years and 3 years old) and my elderly parents (medium built) between 65 to 73 age bracket.
Good suggestion. The middle row of TUV is actually quite wide and flat. Worth a look once.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 01:09   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Have you seen anything similar as rear guard? I don't want to add anything silver or even visible metal to car anymore

EDIT:
Googled it and found this rear ABS nudge guard for XUV. Looks good.
http://www.goldsun.in/carproducts.php?car=27&cat=11
I didn't see the rear guard physically but from the photos it seems a bit grotesque, hence dropped the idea for ABS rear guard. I have a moondust silver cheetah Hence may go for the Dealer accessory ie the pipe type model & see if I can get it powder coated in black or wrap it up in matte black.

Quote:
The side step that I see in the Mahindra Accessories seems to be the flat category that you were mentioning. I seem to be liking the appearance but I have to see the effectiveness during TD

I am not that heavy but have stood on the step and it took up all 70 kgs without a fuss, I had witnessed the entire fitting process, there is an aluminium channel under the ABS frame and it attaches to the underside using 3 numbers of thick 6mm iron brackets which is sufficiently strong for (ingress & egress) momentary loads. I won't worry about it unless you have bodyguards riding on the sidestep

Last edited by RajeVenu : 5th January 2016 at 01:13.
Old 5th January 2016, 09:18   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't see the rear guard physically but from the photos it seems a bit grotesque, hence dropped the idea for ABS rear guard.
Here is one Suhas had observed long ago and I was hunting this. Thanks to your post, I found it on Goldsun. I will check it some day in person and take a call.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_5439.png
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 09:40   #999
BHPian

Quote:
XUV is certainly no VW or Toyota category when it comes to ageing and being rattle/niggle free. But i dont think its a deal breaker either. New XUV is lil better of compared to prev gen but you will on and off get some issues and
A.S.S are usually responsive and supportive to fix them. Be mentally prepared for that.
Agreed. Sure. Thanks.

Quote:
Comparing Polo to mileage to XUV is like comparing apples to watermelon . In BLR bumper to bumper commute i manage about 10kmpl and highway is ~14kmpl, give or take 1kmpl. Dont expect wonders given the engine size and car weight.
Yes, just wanted to highlight the preparation and again choice is how much I need to prepare for, meaning from 17 down to 10 or 11 (for XUV500) or from 17 down to 14 (for Creta I assume, I am yet to check the posts).

Quote:
For your family Creta wouldnt suit best as the 4 yr old will always be in lap. XUV actually is very good for 6. Because you can keep 50% rear row flat and get enough luggage space for weekend trips and use rest for 1 pax or 11 yr old. I have a family of 4 adults + a 2yr old daughter. I had no real need for a 7 seater and I didnt buy XUV for that. I chose XUV because of the space for 5. I can easily choose to have a car seat and still have 2 adults comfy vs. all other cars it will be a squeeze. When my daughter gets fidgety she actually can walk in the middle row give the huge leg room (not recommended practise for kids though).
Valid point . I started looking for XUV500 for the same reason.

Quote:
Good suggestion. The middle row of TUV is actually quite wide and flat. Worth a look once.
I will certainly have a look.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:13   #1000
BHPian

My Last trip to my home town yielded me a mileage of 18.08 KMPL. This was measured using the reliable tank to tank method. I didn't cross more than a speed of 110 KMs throughout my 274 KMs drive. Infotainment was showing only 16 KMPL. It was not increasing at all. Not sure Mahindra had some logic to have a ceiling of 16 KMPL

Overall, A happy 2016 start.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 12:24   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
My Last trip to my home town yielded me a mileage of 18.08 KMPL. This was measured using the reliable tank to tank method. I didn't cross more than a speed of 110 KMs throughout my 274 KMs drive. Infotainment was showing only 16 KMPL. It was not increasing at all. Not sure Mahindra had some logic to have a ceiling of 16 KMPL

Overall, A happy 2016 start.
Good mileage . Ceiling at 16 , Mahindra is sticking on to their words.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th January 2016 at 08:01. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
karthikshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 13:57   #1002
BHPian

M&M has been an inspiration from my childhood. Being from Coorg, what else other than Mahindra? Ours was an extended family with MM540, CL 500 MDI and MM 550 in clan. As I grew and graduated, the car scenario in Coorg changed, alike India, when Maruti penetrated. It was a revival when M&M drove in the Scorpio. It was written, Scorpio would be at home one day. Days passed, on Jan 03, 2016, XUV 5OO w6 comes home!

Ownership thread coming soon!
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-xuv-w6.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 15:33   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
M&M has been an inspiration from my childhood. Being from Coorg, what else other than Mahindra? Ours was an extended family with MM540, CL 500 MDI and MM 550 in clan. As I grew and graduated, the car scenario in Coorg changed, alike India, when Maruti penetrated. It was a revival when M&M drove in the Scorpio. It was written, Scorpio would be at home one day. Days passed, on Jan 03, 2016, XUV 5OO w6 comes home!

Ownership thread coming soon!
Congrats LoneRidder . Looks like you have opted for similar accessory options that I had in mind - Fog Lamp, Alloys, Side Step and I am sure there would be more. Will wait for your ownership review and also about approx costs to these accessory items which would give me more idea.
Old 8th January 2016, 06:57   #1004

Quote:
Good mileage . Ceiling at 16 , Mahindra is sticking on to their words

Hi Karthikshan

I recently brought home a XUV 500 AWD W10, I had lots of apprehensions to exchange my beloved ANHC for the Cheetah. But ever since the upgrade I have been smiling.

Mahindra has most certainly improved things in the facelift. I recently completed a 1200 km trip to Coimbatore and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The turbo whistle is very addictive in cheetah. The tank to tank method showed 17 km/l and within Chennai city my driving is mostly on OMR, I get a consistent 12 km/l

Like some one said I want a zero rattle car, my city was one even after five years of ownership, with Mahindra I'm impressed but there are some occasional rattles that come and go, I intend to find and fix them during my first service.

I'm putting together an ownership thread that should be up soon

Last edited by Aditya : 8th January 2016 at 08:01. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 9th January 2016, 06:24   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammuraly View Post
Hi Karthikshan

I recently brought home a XUV 500 AWD W10, I had lots of apprehensions to exchange my beloved ANHC for the Cheetah. But ever since the upgrade I have been smiling.

Mahindra has most certainly improved things in the facelift. I recently completed a 1200 km trip to Coimbatore and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The turbo whistle is very addictive in cheetah. The tank to tank method showed 17 km/l and within Chennai city my driving is mostly on OMR, I get a consistent 12 km/l

Like some one said I want a zero rattle car, my city was one even after five years of ownership, with Mahindra I'm impressed but there are some occasional rattles that come and go, I intend to find and fix them during my first service.

I'm putting together an ownership thread that should be up soon
Congrats Ram. Thanks for the feedback. Useful information on the mileage and the rattles. Will be waiting for your ownership thread
karthikshan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks