Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 13:39   #841
BANNED

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes on becoming the owner of a TUV 300, AutoIndian.

My XUV 500 has abundant power, torque, adequate ground clearance, cruise control, ESP, electronic gizmos, monocoque build, but FWD. One cannot have monocoque build + RWD, it seems!
Sir, there are cars which are monocoqoe and RWD like Jeep Grand Cherokee , Dodge Durango and several Land Rovers. The problem is either they not available or they are priced exhorbitantly.

I like the Scorpio better and I think it will perform in instances like this. Did you travel along the Tso Moriri to Tso Kar Road through Puga in Ladakh? I think the XUV will struggle in a stretch like that. The road is steep and gravelly. I had trouble making my RE Electra climb those roads as it was loosing traction.

Does the AWD system allow 100% power to rear wheels. I don't think so.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 1st November 2015 at 13:43.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 13:50   #842
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
there are cars which are monocoqoe and RWD like Jeep Grand Cherokee , Dodge Durango and several Land Rovers.
Thanks for pointing out, Ragavsr. I meant monocoque build + RWD in XUV 500's price-range.

Quote:
Did you travel along the Tso Moriri Tso Kar in Ladakh? I think the XUV will struggle in a stretch like that.
Not yet. Tso Moriri, Tso Kar, Marsmik La, Sach Pass, etc. are waiting for my Thunderbird 500!

Old 2nd November 2015, 00:44   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Sure, autohold helps. But my issue is not with half-clutch. It is post that. You are slowly releasing the clutch and throttling up, but nothing happens and to avoid stalling, i had to depress the clutch again.

To have her moving, i had to do some serious revving and slipping the clutch.
Was it just in this car or is it in all of them?
In that aspect, i find the lower first gear on the duster AWD so much better.
Cheers,
Deepak
I think your question has been well answered by Ravi sir and few others. One particular instance I do have which might fit your req, during my visit to Kodai my hotel had a particularly steep exit onto the road which in itself was decent steep hike. With 4 adults+1 kid + wkend luggage and AC on (which i forgot to switch off) the car did initially struggle even with clutch slipping, I felt the clutch slipping was causing vibrations. Eventually after i switched off the AC it was reasonably ok once the car was on a move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Hello Supertinu

The engine noise was a kind of knocking sound.This could be fixed with controlling the fueling related parameters.

We had similar issues with our i10 auto and was fixed with ecu updates.But i didnt know till yesterday that diesels will also have similar issues.
Thanks, makes sense.

Quote:
Congratulations and best wishes on becoming the owner of a TUV 300, AutoIndian.

My XUV 500 has abundant power, torque, adequate ground clearance, cruise control, ESP, electronic gizmos, monocoque build, but FWD. One cannot have monocoque build + RWD, it seems!
Ravi sir and others, does XUV W8 ESP comes with TC?
Old 2nd November 2015, 00:58   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Does the AWD system allow 100% power to rear wheels. I don't think so.
Normally 60% to the front wheels and 40% to the rear, Pressing the AWD button makes it 50% to all the wheels, 100% to just the rear wheels might be too much to ask for
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:09   #845
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
does XUV W8 ESP comes with TC?
No. My XUV 500 W8 FWD does not have TC. It skidded and drove to the road-side drain near Zuluk, Sikkim. The details are here. Similarly, it refused to crawl on the snow-capped road at Sela Pass as described here. If my XUV 500 had TC, it would not have encountered these chilling experience!

Old 2nd November 2015, 13:38   #846
BHPian

Does anyone know if the facelift XUV comes with Android Auto. It was in the paper a few months ago?
Old 2nd November 2015, 14:10   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
Does anyone know if the facelift XUV comes with Android Auto. It was in the paper a few months ago?
It does not. Mine is a July manufactured new age model.
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:21   #848
BHPian

Quote:
No. My XUV 500 W8 FWD does not have TC.
Dear Ravi Sir, I need your 'guidance'. I am due to buy a new car. Though my target was ONLY Scorpio s10, as a customary requirement, I did few test drives, eco-sports, ertiga, mobilo, TUV etc.

During my recent visit to showroom to make a final deal, as S10 had gone for a test drive, I decided, along with my family, to take a test drive on XUV, and believe me I was awestruck! What a refined engine, and that driving comfort!

This is were I landed in a new problem. I have a budget of 15 lac and I am stuck with S10 and W6.

Scorpio has been my dream car (I started by driving in MM Jeep). I liked the XUV for his refinement. But I feel its too bulky for me! I am unable to make a decision now! I have not been able to get a proper direction, need your help!

My daily drive is around 15 km in Bangalore and 1 trip to Coorg and 1 to Pondy every quarter, and in a year 1 drive to Kanyakumari and 1 more to where the road calls!

Would be happy to get your thoughts and directions!
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:26   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Ravi sir and others, does XUV W8 ESP comes with TC?
Hi, to the best of my knowledge, Traction control (TC) is part of ESP and XUV W8 and W10 comes with ESP.
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:21   #850
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I have a budget of 15 lac and I am stuck with S10 and W6.
Please test-drive both, not once, but several times, from different dealers on different roads at different times. You can also test-drive the new-comers. You will come to know of the one, which is best suited for you!

Old 2nd November 2015, 17:31   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. My XUV 500 W8 FWD does not have TC. It skidded and drove to the road-side drain near Zuluk, Sikkim. The details are here. Similarly, it refused to crawl on the snow-capped road at Sela Pass as described here. If my XUV 500 had TC, it would not have encountered these chilling experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adesh.Singh View Post
Hi, to the best of my knowledge, Traction control (TC) is part of ESP and XUV W8 and W10 comes with ESP.
Even my understanding was the same that TC is subset of ESP and XUV has it, but I have also seen some wheel spins on XUV in my limited city driving. Hence wanted to confirm based on other's experience.

I did a quick check and came across this youtube video. Didnt hear the audio, but it shows ESP light coming on whenever tires are spinning.

The second link is a mobile link from Mahindra which does list TC as a feature

http://m.mahindraxuv500.com/MoreFeatures.aspx
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:07   #852
J.Ravi

Quote:
The second link is a mobile link from Mahindra which does list TC as a feature
But practically, it didn't help me at Zuluk [snow], Sela Pass [snow], Badrinath [gravel/boulders/steep] and Mussoorie [steep].

Nothing has been mentioned about traction control in Mahindra XUV 500 website.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-xuvfeatures.jpg

http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/compar...?id=comp_model

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd November 2015 at 18:24.

Old 2nd November 2015, 18:47   #853
BHPian

Traction control is mentioned in the older XUV500 brochure. Its a part of ESP.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-tc.jpg  

Last edited by falconion : 2nd November 2015 at 18:48.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:51   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But practically, it didn't help me at Zuluk [snow], Sela Pass [snow], Badrinath [gravel/boulders/steep] and Mussoorie [steep].

Nothing has been mentioned about traction control in Mahindra XUV 500 website.

http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/compar...?id=comp_model
Pardon me, But did you try climbing the Steep with the ESP OFF? AFAIK, ESP off button is giving for situations like this when you need more traction from the tyres, By default ESP is ON and it will cut off the power to the wheels as soon as it detects slippage or traction loss, And also TCS has to be a part of ESP and hence its not mentioned.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:54   #855
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Pardon me, But did you try climbing the Steep with the ESP OFF?
No, I didn't switch off ESP on these occasions, assuming ESP would help me come out of the situation. Next time, I will try both with and without ESP in such conditions. I was told during one of the many test-drives that switching off ESP would increase the fuel efficiency marginally by 0.5 kmpl.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd November 2015 at 18:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks