Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 16:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am liking everything in the facelift except 2 things. Firstly the beige and black interiors don't work. I sat in the facelift car and the sea of beige was just not to my liking. Mahindra should have added all black cabin in the white and silver coloured cars. The Red one which SDP has is the perfect one with the black cabin. I hope Mahindra realises that black cabins are making a come back. The Altis, Octavia Zeal, Elantra, Ecosport and soon to be launched Jazz are proof that black is back.
Agree with you Vid. Probably Mahindra could have added a all new black and red/blue combination sporty interiors similar to some of the European cars.

Something like these,

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-q7interior.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-vilner-nissan-gtr-year-dragon-interior-theme.jpg
Old 16th June 2015, 17:11   #62
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot guys for the appreciation and kinds words of encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
... Also if anyone has any update on the wifi symbol it would be great, though ill look for it in the car manual tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
... Are you saying that the XUV has a built in wifi transmitter (which needs a 3g connection or something around those lines)? ..
On my request, Tushar did check out the manual specifically for this before returning the car. He mentioned there is nothing in the manual about either the WiFi or the 3G dongle symbols. So most likely those symbols are placeholders for future features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
..Just one question? Has the GC changed or remained the same?
Also noticed the sun roof opening and closing with a slight shudder and thud ..did you feel the same?
No visible changes to the GC.
Also at least on the test vehicle that we had, the sun roof operated pretty smoothly. Again, I have never owned a vehicle with a sunroof, so no frame of reference to compare with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Question for SDP: Have you changed the grill to something else? Don't know but, it felt so to me. Could be that I'm getting more accustomed to the new one but, better to confirm right ?
Shivang, got the grill wrapped in matte black from 3M. Its a recent development. Haven't even updated my own thread about that yet. Will do it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
....I will be booking a W6 within a couple of days. I was told that it comes with dueller, jk or apollo. I have heard that duellers are certainly better than JK. ...
JKs are a absolute NO. Lots of positive feedback about Bridgestones Dullers from owners. They are fairly silent and last long. They squeal a bit though. Apollos have been introduced on the XUV fairly recently. No real datapoints about how good they are. My guess is that they would be comparable with the Duellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
...So, the New Age XUV 500 does not have the luxury of display of the tyre temperature in the Smartphone App, whereas my Nov 2013-manufactured XUV 500 has it - some cost-cutting indulged by Mahindra even in the premium W10!
Brilliant observation Ravi Sir! In all the excitement of the new App which controls the ACC as well, I missed the part about the missing temperature display. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Yup! Just take a left from there and reach the first gate on the left and honk. That's where I stay. I was surprised I missed out on you guys while doing the review. ...
Will catch up with you Tejas sometime soon. There are quite a few friendly BHPians in Mulund/Thane area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
..Question : Any alteration in the Flywheel mechanism in XUV?? Heard from a service engineer they have altered it .
No idea. Didn't feel a difference. I am scheduled for a trip to the service center this week. Would check with my RM and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
.....i want to pop the eternal question..do you think the pre-facelifted infotainment software can be upgraded to use some of the cool features of the new one?

I am also keen to know if maps can be self upgraded ?
The older touch-screen is of a different size and resolution. A bigger problem would be the screen type itself, resistive vs. capacitive. The older touchscreen can not handle swipe, pinch etc.
In short, I doubt the chances of the old infotainment system getting a software upgrade that would give some of the new user interface changes and features to existing owners. Replacing the complete silver-box and touch-screen should be technically possible, but fitting the larger screen in the existing fascia would need physical modifications.
The newer version of MMI maps looks beautiful. Definitely on my wish-list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
This implies the new W4 has lost out on the entertainment system, the earlier one had CD/MP3 player, Aux Input, and 4 speakers(not 6, missed out on dash tweakers).
That I believe is a serious downgrade for prospective W4 buyers
I doubt the W4 would lose entertainment system. Even hatches that cost half that of XUV W4 come with decent setup. Would be a big mistake if this is true. Need to verify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
... Is it possible to get the new brakes or re-calibration done to the old XUV.
Should be possible, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Anyway its time for me to take my ownership thread live which is pending from a week
Looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can a facelift review get any better...? You folks have kicked the goalpost forward by miles.

Mahindra does cut corners. Top end Xylo has auto up/down power windows for the driver & the co-driver, even the XUV doesn't have this.

Thanks Sheel !
Showing the pressure+temperature on the touch-screen display. Simple thing. Its available on the app and its available on the touch-screen in the Scorpio. Can't imagine M&M's logic behind not providing it in the XUV.

One touch-up/down. If there are power windows, then one touch up/down functionality should be a matter of just programming. No new hardware needed. So again can't imagine why give it on one window and not on the other or give just one-touch-down and not one-touch-up.

Vanity mirror light on passenger side. How much cost would be saved by removing that light and switch? I especially do not understand logic behind removing functionality/utility (e.g. the vanity mirror light) AND adding useless chrome. Anyways.

Last edited by SDP : 16th June 2015 at 17:16.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 18:01   #63
BANNED

Quote:

This implies the new W4 has lost out on the entertainment system, the earlier one had CD/MP3 player, Aux Input, and 4 speakers(not 6, missed out on dash tweakers).

That I believe is a serious downgrade for prospective W4 buyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I doubt the W4 would lose entertainment system. Even hatches that cost half that of XUV W4 come with decent setup. Would be a big mistake if this is true. Need to verify this.
Here is the screen shot of the Brochure for the New XUV 5OO.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150616_180033.png
Views: 8579
Size:  149.2 KB

I have taken only for the ICE part.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 18:27   #64
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here is the screen shot of the Brochure for the New XUV 5OO.
I have taken only for the ICE part.
Thanks for the screenshot.
If you are talking about the W4 not having a touchscreen display (6.2" or 7" screen), it was never there right from the launch of the W4 variant. What it has instead is a single line LCD display.

The CD drive and the Aux/USB inputs along with the speakers were there earlier and should be there in the current version as well. BHPian Bhatt seemed to indicate that those are gone, which I doubt would be the case.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 18:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

An owner of the pre-gen XUV who's driven good distances gets to compare it with the facelift and this is what happens - An Outstanding review with each and ever aspect getting covered in detail. One mostly gets to read such detailed reviews in shoot outs of cars from the same segment but here we have an exhaustive one talking about 2 Generations.

Fantastic Job Tushar and SDP - having the 2 XUVs side by side would have certainly made the job tougher! After all, you have a lot of check boxes to look into and write about.

XUV has been one of those limited cars in this segment that I have always liked mainly due to car like dynamics and no pain in the neck experience.

Rated the thread a well-earned 5 Stars!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th June 2015 at 18:43.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 20:46   #66
BHPian

Test drove the W10 XUV yesterday. So far it has been about 7 TDs for me of the XUV.

Found the new one's ride to be firmer. The ride was quite flat compared to the old one which used to float a bit.

Not happy with the interior quality. It feels similar to the old one albeit the change in colors and textures. The cladding for the sun roof is cheap looking, so are the touch and feel of the center console buttons. Abhorred the quality of materials on the refrigerator/ storage cabinet lid- could see the plastic mold marks which is a terrible eye sore.
Great looking key fob compared to the laughable quality seen on the previous XUVs.

Didn't quite like the voice alerts which sounded like a guy talking for a TV ad. Love the space on offer.

Good power delivery. Torquey and rev happy.

Notchy and sometimes awkward gear shifts. Brakes are confusing as SDP mentioned. Could feel thuds and crashes filtering into the cabin over rough sections of the road while at the second row.

I personally find the new design to be more palatable than the old one.

Even though I appreciate the effort put by Mahindra and the features on offer, maybe they should have focused the all that effort on employing higher quality materials especially on the inside than loading the vehicle to the gills with features- the quality/reliability of which is questionable. Still feels like a work in progress. It really does feel built to a price.

It is definitely a VFM purchase for someone with a restrictive budget and who doesn't mind a lack in finesse and solidity you tend to associate with vehicles costing above 15 lakhs. That said, it easily beats vehicles like the Duster, Terrano and even the Innova as all of them cost upwards of 13 lakhs on road in Kerala. The XUV at 16 or so lakhs OTR for the 2WD W10 seems like a steal.
BUT it will not hold its own against the more expensive UVs like the Pajero Sport or the Santa Fe, especially in terms of build quality.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 21:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post

Not happy with the interior quality. It feels similar to the old one albeit the change in colors and textures.
I think it is only the color change, not even the change in the textures. Changing the texture probably needs re-tooling, which is expensive.
Old 16th June 2015, 21:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think it is only the color change, not even the change in the textures. Changing the texture probably needs re-tooling, which is expensive.
True. I meant the matte finish on the center console and the display cowl which was glossy before. My bad.
Old 16th June 2015, 21:56   #69
BHPian

Which one of the three tyre option i.e apollo, duellers and JK is the best in terms of longevity, performance, road noise and other factors? My usage would be primarily in delhi-noida, about 1000-1200 kms a month and once in say three months outstation trip to nearby hills.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 16th June 2015 at 21:58.
Old 16th June 2015, 23:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Which one of the three tyre option i.e apollo, duellers and JK is the best in terms of longevity, performance, road noise and other factors? My usage would be primarily in delhi-noida, about 1000-1200 kms a month and once in say three months outstation trip to nearby hills.
I think you should go for Duellers. Second option would be Apollo. Don't even think of JK.
By the way, it is possible to fix W10 reverse parking camera in W8? Since both(W8 and W10) having same infotainment system, so reverse parking camera with dynamic assist will work in W8 as well. Any thoughts?
kalpurja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 00:21   #71
BANNED

Quote:
I'd vote for Bridgestone Duellers out of the three choices.

Have these as stock tyres for many UV's and SUV's.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 00:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone only. Avoid Apollo and JK.
superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 01:41   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'd vote for Bridgestone Duellers out of the three choices.

Have these as stock tyres for many UV's and SUV's.
I talked to my sales advisor and he had a usual story to tell that he can't assure a particular brand of tyres. However I was adamant that I wanted duellers. Will put some pressure on the day of booking and might tell him that I am not going to take the delivery unless I get what I want. Booking should happen in a couple of days . Only getting a 45 percent discount on insurance. Have been told by SA that audit department by mahindra has been imposing penalties of up to 10 lac on dealerships giving extra discounts ( which obviously didn't sound convincing ).
Anyways my only grudge is the interior quality. I would anytime forgo a few of those bells and whistles and have some nice dark coloured soft plastic interiors, something on the lines of facelifted storme, the interior quality of which is definitely admirable.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 17th June 2015 at 02:02.
Old 17th June 2015, 01:54   #74
BANNED

Quote:
This implies the new W4 has lost out on the entertainment system, the earlier one had CD/MP3 player, Aux Input, and 4 speakers(not 6, missed out on dash tweakers). That I believe is a serious downgrade for prospective W4 buyers
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the screenshot.
If you are talking about the W4 not having a touchscreen display (6.2" or 7" screen), it was never there right from the launch of the W4 variant. What it has instead is a single line LCD display.

The CD drive and the Aux/USB inputs along with the speakers were there earlier and should be there in the current version as well. BHPian Bhatt seemed to indicate that those are gone, which I doubt would be the case.
After a chat with SDP, here is the updated feature comparison between the variants of the XUV 5OO:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-untitled.jpg

Apologies for the error.

Quote:
Booking should happen in a couple of days . Only getting a 45 percent discount on insurance. Have been told by SA that audit department by mahindra has been imposing penalties of up to 10 lac on dealerships giving extra discounts (which obviously didn't sound convincing).
Good that you are putting the pressure at the right time rather than getting irritated at the Delivery day. Hope you get what you need. For the pressure to get applied go to the top management rather than pressurizing the Sales Executives.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 07:58   #75
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Never heard of an "Electronic Steering Lock" which is apparently a feature in the W10. What are the advantages?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks