Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 12:04   #1756
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
IMHO I don't think so. I think Mahindra may have pulled up a trick by expanding the tank capacity.

Opinions of the experts are awaited!
I think the capacity declared by any auto manufacturer is the excluding the dead volume.

Dead volume is the minimum fuel required to start the car in various conditions such as incline/decline, articulated etc. There is always an effort to reduce this volume but can't be achieved 0.

Example: - the minimum volume required to start a car on a 15-degree incline (where an SUV would typically be tested on) would be 10 l; the same for starting the car on a flat road would be 5l.
So effectively when it is declared that the fuel capacity is 70l there is always room for a few litres more.

If you would have gone ghat climbing with the 0 DTE figure I am sure you would have been stuck at some place and turned the drive into a true blue adventure.

Experts: these are my views; please correct me if required
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 12:54   #1757
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
Isn't the tank capacity 70 litres as per the Owner's manual? If the tank is 20% full (2 bars lit) I expect the fuel in the tank to be anywhere between 14 and 7 litres, and if it takes more than 63 litres to fill the tank then I begin to suspect if the pump is cheating me. Is that a correct conclusion?
Quote:
IMHO i dont think so. I think mahindra may have pulled up a trick by expanding the tank capacity.

Somebody had conducted this experiment based on similar doubts about the tank capacity and possibility of cheating by fuel-pump guys.
It turned out that from a complete dry tank, the XUV can take 78-79 liters of diesel. It was 78.xx lt.. don't remember the exact number.

Drive sensibly on higways and that gives you a 1000km range on a tankful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I think the capacity declared by any auto manufacturer is the excluding the dead volume.

Dead volume is the minimum fuel required to start the car in various conditions such as incline/decline, articulated etc. There is always an effort to reduce this volume but can't be achieved 0.

Example: - the minimum volume required to start a car on a 15-degree incline (where an SUV would typically be tested on) would be 10 l; the same for starting the car on a flat road would be 5l.
So effectively when it is declared that the fuel capacity is 70l there is always room for a few litres more.

If you would have gone ghat climbing with the 0 DTE figure I am sure you would have been stuck at some place and turned the drive into a true blue adventure.

Experts: these are my views; please correct me if required
Bang on!
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 13:21   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
I am planning to get the software updated to version 6 on my new age XUV W8 (Oct 2015). I hope you are not facing bugs or issues.

None thus far. Touch-wood.

Last edited by SDP : 29th December 2016 at 16:07. Reason: Adding context to your comment. Please quote when needed so that people understand the context
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 15:25   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Somebody had conducted this experiment based on similar doubts about the tank capacity and possibility of cheating by fuel-pump guys.
It turned out that from a complete dry tank, the XUV can take 78-79 liters of diesel. It was 78.xx lt.. don't remember the exact number.

Drive sensibly on higways and that gives you a 1000km range on a tankful!

Bang on!
Fully agree with you Sir. These type of risks / tests are best avoided and sensibly to be done on plain long stretches. I remember taking my XUV out of the dealership from amdavad and driving it straight to gurgaon and getting 1050 Kms from a tank full.
Old 30th December 2016, 10:45   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
I think the capacity declared by any auto manufacturer is excluding the dead volume.
You are right, I got this verified from one of my friends who works with a manufacturer. He says bigger the tank the percentage of dead volume is more.

Quote:
But yes, there is big risk involved when you continue to drive when the DTE starts showing 0. I was travelling from Bangalore to Pondy via Vellore around 380 km. When I started from home, I had 1 bock, appx 7 litres. Had planned a refill at BP Ghar Dhaba. Unfortunately the POS machine was not working, I had to use currency, filled for Rs.1000 (around 15 litres). Before 60 km to Tindivanam, the fuel indicator started blinking. Later I completely forgot about the fuel and realised the DTE is 0 after entering Tindivanam Pondicherry highway. I had a choice of coming back to Tindivanam for refuelling but the time spend on road (almost 9 hours) due to toll queues (30~45 minutes in each toll) made me to take that risk of continuing towards the next fuel pump at Pondicherry.

The fuel was filled at a known pump, I am sure I was not cheated (my friend, owner would be reading this ). There was easily space for 2~3 litres after taking 75.4 litres in.
Old 1st January 2017, 10:54   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
None thus far. Touch-wood.
Thanks Jacob. I got my software updated to latest version 8 , but yet to figure out any updates from Version 6 to Version 8. Also got my maps updated.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-version.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2017, 22:11   #1762
BHPian

Hi, Rakesh...can you guide us how to go to this menu on the infotaiment screen?
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:06   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
With the key on press mute and seek(>>) simultaneously and that would open up this menu
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:06   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Press Setting and Mute button simultaneously for 3-4 seconds with Key on.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:05   #1765
BHPian

Has anyone installed the scuff plates in their XUV? I have been quoted around 2K for the non illuminated ones, and almost double for the illuminated ones. Not sure if it's worth going for the illuminated ones, as my night/ dark usage is very less. Any suggestions?
Old 6th January 2017, 16:14   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Has anyone installed the scuff plates in their XUV? I have been quoted around 2K for the non illuminated ones, and almost double for the illuminated ones. Not sure if it's worth going for the illuminated ones, as my night/ dark usage is very less. Any suggestions?

I have the illuminated ones installed, During the night once you open the door you are sure to notice the bright blue light and does look good, But its not really worth spending around 4-5k on it, I had got a discount from the dealer while purchasing several accessories together hence i opted for it, If you aren't going to be using your car in the night much, Save the money.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 17:31   #1767
BHPian

I have recently got ECU formatted and updated with latest software. Engine noise and vibration seems to become more smooth and responsive. I have mentioned about updating software to latest Version-8 from Version -3 in my earlier post. Since I haven’t used Version-6 therefore giving comparison between Version - 3 and Version-8. Following changes can be seen on Music screen.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-fuel-avg-icon.jpg
  1. Blower speed is mentioned in number with fan icon.
  2. Date & time information is more clear.
  3. Now songs on USB drive starts playing from last song even after rebooting. Version-3 had its own mind.
  4. Earlier while navigating from Maps to Radio using panel button, radio band used to also change. Now issue has been sorted out.
  5. Distance to empty/Fuel average shortcut icon is now available on Music screen (Top right corner).
  6. AC info screen is totally revamped and it gives all details in big fonts.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-ac.jpg
Tiretronics screen is re-designed with animation but it doesn't shows tyre pressure and you are still dependent on Blue sense App .
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-tpm-screen.jpg

Home screen shows AC, Fan speed, date and time for 3-4 seconds.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-home.jpg

Distance to empty/Fuel average information screen is re-designed with animation and fuel average information has now more responsive. It changes immediately depending upon driving conditions. It also display information upto meters. Many XUV owner have claimed to get fuel average of more than 16 Km/Ltr by using fuel top up method on highways, but fuel average screen had maximum limit 16 Ltr/Km set by software. I suppose now it is increased to 18 Ltr/Km. Screen shots will prove my claim. This was done by resetting the fuel average information while driving at 100 km/hr in 5th gear .

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-18-km.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-17.1-km.jpg

I am a spirited driver and earlier I used to get Fuel average of 11-12 Km/Ltr in city driving conditions. Now I am getting average of 12-14 Km/ltr.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-13-km.jpg

I am still exploring other updates on Version-8, but overall it is a good upgrade.

Last edited by rakesht_ripps : 6th January 2017 at 17:33.
rakesht_ripps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 23:02   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
I have recently got ECU formatted and updated with latest software. Engine noise and vibration seems to become more smooth and responsive..........Snip... Snip..

I am still exploring other updates on Version-8, but overall it is a good upgrade.
Thanks Rakesh for the detailed differences, I was a bit skeptical to go for it but now may finally go ahead and get the update.

My cheetah was humming beautifully but when I got an ECU update to correct Engine knocking during sudden hard acceleration, the update corrected that but gave a new bug... I started getting a loud hum from left side of the car while accelerating at RPM between 1750-2000 which then subsides. Couldn't pinpoint the fault but shall show this to SA. My problem is I am going for service at Mahindra SC at Durgapur(WB) which isn't exclusive to cheetahs
Old 9th January 2017, 13:55   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
Thanks Rakesh for the detailed differences, I was a bit skeptical to go for it but now may finally go ahead and get the update.

My cheetah was humming beautifully but when I got an ECU update to correct Engine knocking during sudden hard acceleration, the update corrected that but gave a new bug... I started getting a loud hum from left side of the car while accelerating at RPM between 1750-2000 which then subsides. Couldn't pinpoint the fault but shall show this to SA. My problem is I am going for service at Mahindra SC at Durgapur(WB) which isn't exclusive to cheetahs
Even my XUV had hum noise coming from left side of engine bay during hard acceleration. Same was observed by SA and issue was resolved during software update and minor work in engine bay (suppose tightening of some pipe). You can call my SA Suvith (87901 05252) at Hyd. Give my reference as Army Officer, he would remember since I was the first one to get upgraded from Version-3 to 8 after escalating to customer care.
Old 9th January 2017, 14:22   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Has anyone installed the scuff plates in their XUV?
I got them installed when I got the vehicle delivered. It’s an illuminated one. It does give a good feel during night, and also helps in easy ingress and egress because of good throw of light. I got it done along with accessory package. If you are not worried of little extra money, go for it.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks