Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 17:01   #1006
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Got the accessories price list from Pandit Auto, Pune. Could be helpful.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20160616photo00051607.jpg

Last edited by harikr : 16th June 2016 at 17:04.
harikr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 18:49   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
While I am a big fan of the little car, it isn't meant for this application. You want a car with ABS/airbags, even a used one. Nano is a city car that can do a very careful highway drive once in a while, if there aren't better options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajn1702 View Post
Hi Aksthedreamer,
I own a Nano from 4.5 years, 30k kms clocked and still going strong. This includes long drives as well.

We have a WhatsApp group of Nano owners from across India. All of them (62) are happy and proud owners of the Nano, right from the first batch from 2009 till 2016, Std, CX, LX, Twist, XT, XTA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Nano after your current cars will feel very limited. I would suggest:

Option 1 or option 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
My first instinct says, sell both & get a Diesel Tiago.

Now, rationality takes over :

Are you sure you want to keep the Optra & sell the Swift. How's the part availability & service ?
If you're simply bored of them both, Tiago Diesel it is !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Just my 2 cents.
If I were in your shoes I would have sold both and blindly gone in for a Tiago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Dear Aksthedreamer,

This might be out of topic but seeing many people having doubts on Nano's highway capabilities, I thought I have to put this down. So here it goes.
All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
I am really late to reply this post. If you really love Nano then without any second thought go for it. Try to get a used one lx model which can be bought at very cheap price.
Thank you everyone for taking out time to respond to my query and give valuable suggestions.
I test drove the nano last week.

Although I am impressed with the overall package and vfm that this car offers, there were a few problems that I faced which made me opt out of the nano.
I am 6'2, nano's steering wheel was too low in height for my comfort, I just could not drive the car comfortably. Also, the feel of clutch was weird, I cant explain it how but the clutch felt different.

I thought may be there was a problem with the clutch of test drive car so checked another nano displayed in the showroom, clutch feel was same.
I was disheartened because I was really convinced that I would buy the nano. Moreover the mouth watering discounts on offer make it even more value for money.
I was offered 55k exchange bonus on my swift, free insurance, 4k cash discount. All this without any negotiation, the sales advisor also said it directly that she can offer more discount once we sit on table for the final deal.

Test drove the tiago after nano, I loved it so much, will share the experience in tiago thread.
Both my cars, swift and optra are pre-owned. Combined market value comes close to 2 lacs, which would help me make down payment for the tiago petrol.
So I might go for the tiago if I save enough funds.

Last edited by Aksthedreamer : 20th June 2016 at 18:50. Reason: added spaces between paragraphs for ease of reading
Old 21st June 2016, 12:47   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Any discounts on the Nano AMT yet? If anybody is planning to buy from Trivandrum, please let me know - we can press for group discounts.
Old 30th June 2016, 13:04   #1009
BHPian

Hi,

I'm considering to buy GenX Nano XT version (not the automatic) as a second car, purely for office commute (to be mostly driven alone or 1 more person at max). Now my family is dead against the nano for no reason and considering alto just costs 50k more that makes my case more hard, even though personally i realize that nano is more suited for my purpose compared to alto and cheaper also at same time. So I wanted to know what potential issues, I may encounter for Nano owners ? Reading past few pages I read, I may get:

- Not so accurate fuel gauge
- fog lamp cracking (potentially fixed now)
- Higher NVH and lower ride quality than alto on bad roads (opinions please)

Also I'm based in Pune, which is having inclines on some areas I visit, so will it be suited ?
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:27   #1010
Mik
BHPian

We have booked an XTA version as it suits our purpose well (2nd car for intra city runabout for wifey who somehow cannot handle a manual ☺ )
However today we took one more test ride at slightly higher speeds and both of us are really concerned about the weak brakes. Is there any way to upgrade the brakes or any other jugaad !
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:48   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
Hi,

I'm considering to buy GenX Nano XT version (not the automatic) as a second car, purely for office commute (to be mostly driven alone or 1 more person at max). So I wanted to know what potential issues, I may encounter for Nano owners ?
From a NANO owner who has been using multiple generations of NANO over the last few years. Latest one is the Gen X AMT. My usage pattern is same as yours , in fact i do the occasional highway trips also. To summarise:

Positives:
1. Entry & Exit into the cabin
2. Chiller of an aircon
3. Tiny footprint and superb manouverability. Park anywhere.
4. Decent economy. I regularly get 16.5kmpl in Home - office - home commute in Chennai city and the best that i got on the highway was 21.5kmpl. All with A/C on 100% of the time.
5. Decent stereo system
6. Comprehensive instrument cluster in the AMT XTA with Distance to Empty, Average Fuel consumption, Instant FE, 2 Tripmeters and also a Digital Clock.
7. Top version is fully loaded with HVAC, Fogs, Central locking, Stereo/CD with Bluetooth streaming/USB/AUX-in, Front power windows, rear parcel tray etc
8. Added flexibility of rear opening hatch
9. Powerful headlights
10. Much improved fit and finish and material quality (especially combination switches) compared to the Gen 1 NANO's.
11. Ground Clearance. It does not scrape anywhere.
12. Water wading ability. Took some seriously flooded roads head on during the terrible Chennai floods last year and came out unscathed.
13. Climbing ability with 3 aboard to Kodaikanal from Chennai was not an issue.
14. No faults faced till now - 13,500 kms and counting since last year October.

Dislikes:
1. Choppy ride (cant help it, short wheelbase and stiff springs)
2. Brake feel. (Outright stopping ability for a car of its size and weight is OK, its the brake pedal calibration that is the problem alongwith the vacuum booster pressure build up)
3. Buffeting on highways
4. Rear lap belts. You cannot use a child seat. you can fix one in front but that's not advisable.
5. Acceleration. Or the lack of it. Patience - lots of it.

Overall, the NANO is a very honest car. It has no pretensions and does its job as a city superstar flawlessly. just dont expect it to be a Ferrari.

And yes - surprisingly Tata service has improved by leaps and bounds and i have had no issues at all with them - till now.

Hope this helps !
arjab is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 19:09   #1012
BHPian

I was abroad for almost a month. I came back and my genx nano xt started without any niggles Really good to see this kind of reliability on nano.
sairamboko is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 19:12   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Nano XTA - Comes home. I am not sure i will write up a ownership thread but this is pretty comprehensive in a way.

Roll back years:- I can now admit i has prejudiced and judgemental for probably last few years rejecting Nano as a car. I called it a Diesel Auto and never intended to ever sit inside or take a test ride. At the end of this summary i would have already admitted that i was wrong. And partly i have to blame Tata to screw their own product by poor marketing.

Fast Forward to 2016:- With a need to get my spouse an automatic yet something small, easy, SLOW, comfortable and cheaper to maintain and repair after some dash car driving i started with used Altos, Cities and even civics. I also wanted something trouble free for another 4 years and Nano fit my budget as well as expectation. I already shared my test ride impression and after driving the car in super rain last two days and close to 100kms i wanted to share my impression.

Pros:-

Space

- Lots of space. The interior is bigger than many sedans. Tata Nano designers can create space out of think air is no joke. This car can seat 5 normal sized humans. You didn't read it wrong, its actually a spacious and cleverly designed car to seat 5. Big fat and tall like me will take additional space and that means 4 big guys can be easily seated. Plenty of space in the front is just amazing. For a 6 footer i always almost have to push the seat towards the steering wheel quite opposite to what i do in my Jetta.

Power:-

- The engine is puny. It sounds like an auto riksha on drugs. Yet with fully loaded car this tiny car can pull. I even had this apprehension that once loaded i may have to prepare for mofa(remember) like situations. To my surprise the car does not feel any heavy or any lighter and pulls with no fuzz. When i meant power it was not to show how fast or how crazy the car can go but to show that its more than sufficient to drive you around actually ANYWHERE. I cant comment on how the car will drive over a hill but may be the manual gears can help.

Steering:-

- Steering this car is fun. Have to admit it. Its so small and taking a u turn when the alto in front of you is struggling to do the same is just ridiculously fun. We took a turn and found a tree fell and blocked the road. Cars in front of me had cars on either side of the road and were making so many front and back movement. Bring on Nano i said, the K turn was complete to the surprise of the alto. I am sure the Alto could have done the same as its not so much bigger or longer. But with Nano it was just simply and easy. This should be included in space as well as steering boxes above.

Learning curve:-

- The car requires a learning curve. Its like riding say a ktm 390 and picking an old bullet. The old bullet will feel like lacking in everything yet you will get used to it after a couple of days. The first ride after taking from showroom was the tricky part. The brakes were invisible and the trick i used was to use my left foot till i started sudden braking by which i knew the brakes are warmed up. (I have a theory which works for me that if i have to sudden break its always with the left foot. Right foot has a brain of his own to control braking process while the left is like a free hammer on fall and you usually have no control over it. I am right handed by the way)

Even the size and shape of the car requires a learning curve even for those who have been driving for years. It easy for the first time driver but definitely requires some time. Even after over 100 kms i can say i still dont know where the left side starts and where the rear ends. In sedans u have those long nose to get a mental picture formed faster.

AC:-

What can i say. I feel the designers were clear of two things. AC and cooling the cabin will take the pressure out of people in the car that basically drives at sanity and two the engine is probably fitted close to the rear seat and actually heats up the cabin. The second part i almost feel is possible. The AC chills to the bone. Never needed to go beyond 1 point in the fan. Cools even the rear seats more than effectively.

Seats:-

Seats are designed as thin flat cushions and helps specially the rear bench. No need for the transmission hump makes it more easy on passengers. Tall enough yet small enough is a great blessing in deed.

Visibility:-

Visibility is a learning curve actually. The frond windshield is big but blocked at the lower end by the crazily big wiper. It does block view as is specially when trying to clear an obstacle on the left. I am 6 foot and its definitely disturbing in the initial stage and you just change your way of driving. For shorter folks i recommend a small cushion to just get a better view.

The side mirrors to me are joke. They hardly cover anything on the road and adjusting to fix one issue causes more issues. This is one car where those small mirror add ons is probably more useful.

The rear view center mirror is fairly decent and the rear glass is plenty big. Fully loaded you may want the center person to adjust the way they sit.

Most importantly you can be confident of clearing a car while overtaking(Yeah you can do that) once you as a person sitting inside feels to have physically cleared the car. Because the rear of the car is very close to your own rear.

Engine:-

The engine is very good as i already said. Interestingly the engine has enough pep to pull you way over 80. But i find 60 to be the ideal speed for this car. High on fuel efficiency, better for even sudden braking and overall stability and grunt feels perfect when driving at 5th gear and 60.

Transmission:-

This is interesting. The first gear is as lazy as a sloth in drugs(the opposite to steroids though). The torque moves the car but the first gear needs some convincing if that helps. And its the most jerkiest of all gears. I will cover that later in the different modes and the best way to use this car. The gears shift pretty much silently and its a breeze. I find the car is tuned for fuel efficiency too much in standard mode that it actually lugs in 3rd and 5th gear all the time or atleast you can feel the need for clutch(having used to manual so many years). In 5th you can push the car to be above 60 and its better that way. The problem is i feel the shifts are way too early even in auto mode. Short by atleast 700-1000 RPM

Best mode to drive:-

Auto Mode - For everyday use and sedate driving and just super passive, i dont care about the world and let the car do what it should while everyone is getting pissed following the nano mode takes over use this mode. The car does everything it should to run at the maximum efficiency yet letting you cruise at 60+Kmph.

Sports mode - This should have been the auto mode. Much peppy, higher RPM upshifts and the car transforms into some sporty car suddenly. Not so fuel efficient but sometimes makes you wonder without no Tachometer if the car is redlining in all gears. Its scary to not know if the car is redlining as there is no Tachometer.

Manual Mode - Most useless mode. Reason is the sports mode takes care of this mode. The manual mode does not even allow you to upshift unless the car thinks you have sufficient RPM. The problem here is jerkiness

First gear is such that in any manual gears you would already be in 2 to avoid that jerkiness and cruise around. But in Nano this is impossible in any gears. If you are driving between 0-10/12 KMPH on slow traffic there is super jerkiness as the car oscillates between low to high rpm. This is standard in all modes and makes it one tough car to ride till you master the acceleration. You will get used to the requirement and change your driving style but to me this is simple design fault of mapping issue.

End of Post 1 - To be continued.......

Last edited by VW2010 : 8th July 2016 at 19:16.
VW2010 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 09:13   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Nano XTA - Comes home. I am not sure i will write up a ownership thread but this is pretty comprehensive in a way.
Congrats on the XTA. Do post some photos when you can.

Totally agree with your write-up on most items. (I have written up similar observations as well).

Please do not use your left leg for braking as you could stall the engine on sudden braking with accelerator input. Having the engine on to move out of the way in a panic stop situation is critical. I have made this mistake once and car almost stalled but I quickly managed to move to N and recover. Just leave sufficient room to stop and brakes are more than adequate. In stop and go be a bit careful as you may feel the brake pedal harden due to lack of vacuum but it will still brake.

I agree on the jerky first gear (for the AMT) however I felt in slow moving stop and go traffic, it is best not use the accelerator at all and just let the creep mode work by lifting your leg off the brake pedal. Its super smooth in 1st in any mode. If traffic is moving naturally accelerate to second as smoothly/fast as possible.

I too felt manual mode was useless until I got used to the regular auto and sport modes. Once you know the speeds at which the "sport" mode shifts gears you can use the same speed as the indicator to shift up. The gear shift suggestion is also useful the first couple of drives you take. After you are comfortable with the manual mode I love it even more than the sport mode !

Days I have calls to attend I stick it in Sports/Auto mode but on days where I want to have fun I use the Manual mode. Switching off AC gives an amazing boost to acceleration that leaves a lot of other cars bewildered.

Total Km driven on Sylvie: 2500 Km now.
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 15:11   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
Hi,

I'm considering to buy GenX Nano XT version (not the automatic) as a second car, purely for office commute (to be mostly driven alone or 1 more person at max). Now my family is dead against the nano for no reason and considering alto just costs 50k more that makes my case more hard, even though personally i realize that nano is more suited for my purpose compared to alto and cheaper also at same time. So I wanted to know what potential issues, I may encounter for Nano owners ? Reading past few pages I read, I may get:

- Not so accurate fuel gauge
- fog lamp cracking (potentially fixed now)
- Higher NVH and lower ride quality than alto on bad roads (opinions please)

Also I'm based in Pune, which is having inclines on some areas I visit, so will it be suited ?
Brought home my family's third Nano couple of weeks ago when we upgraded my Dad's 2010 Nano to 2016 Nano XTA. We have been a Maruti family until our first Nano in 2010. So Alto was in contention this time too. Following worked in Nano's favour -

0. Already used to Nano! :-) You have to experience Nano first to be able to truly appreciate it's VFM offering.
1. It's a perfect City Car - tiny outside, roomy inside. Fits into those motorcycle length parking spots.
2. Ease of entry / exit - you don't have to bend / crouch to get in OR put pressure on your knees to get out. Very useful for older folks.
3. High seating position gives you commanding view of the road - I have literally stared into XUV500s/Dusters/Creta cabins as equals and looked down upon my own Ciaz.
4. Super responsive power steering & small turning radius makes city driving a breeze.
5. Higher ground clearance.
6. Ample leg room especially in rear seats makes those long road drives so much easier.
7. A/C unit is very powerful and chills your car in no time.
8. Lots of features - nice MID on XTA, Central locking, fog lamps, decent audio system with CD player, bluetooth calling/audio streaming, etc.
9. Takes uneven terrain in stride without fuss e.g. climb up/down Sinhagad in Pune!

For your specific questions -

1. NVH - I have experienced Nano 1st Gen, Nano Twist and now Nano AMT. There is perceptible improvement in quality, fit & finish and drop in NVH. In fact, I can myself feel the difference in NVH levels of our 2014 Nano Twist and 2016 Nano XTA AMT.

2. Fuel guage is decently accurate. I have compared fuel guage readings with tank full-to-tank full method and noticed very little difference. Mind well fuel guage readings are indicative and can change based on your driving habits. E.g. you will see difference in DTE number depending on whether your vehicle is on a slope/incline or a level road.

3. Fog lamp cracking - haven't experienced it yet on my 2yr old Nano XT Twist.

I would suggest -

a. Take your family for a test drive in Nano AMT XTA. Make sure they get to experience both front and rear seat leg room/head room & the A/C.

b. Then take your family for a test drive in Alto/Eon & the likes.

c. Spend 35K more and go for Nano AMT XTA - you will enjoy the clutchless wonder all the more in Pune traffic and will arrive at home/office in peace! With limited room to widen Pune roads, traffic & parking situation can only get worse.
ranjitjadhav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 12:27   #1016
BHPian

Tentatively planning to go for XTA. Concorde motors OMR (Chennai) has given me an offer for Rs. 13000 (of which 3000 is corporate discount).
On road price (including 2yrs AMC) comes after discount comes to Rs. 3,54,xxx. Is this ok?
  1. Given that they have sold only <500 units last month, can I bargain a better deal?
  2. I am looking for 4 year AMC, but it appears there's no such scheme, only 2 years or 20,000km is available

Can someone confirm please? All colors are available and delivery is promised in less than a week's time.

Thanks.
Old 13th July 2016, 12:40   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tentatively planning to go for XTA. Concorde motors OMR (Chennai) has given me an offer for Rs. 13000 (of which 3000 is corporate discount).
On road price (including 2yrs AMC) comes after discount comes to Rs. 3,54,xxx. Is this ok?
Given that they have sold only <500 units last month, can I bargain a better deal?
I am looking for 4 year AMC, but it appears there's no such scheme, only 2 years or 20,000km is available

Can someone confirm please? All colors are available and delivery is promised in less than a week's time.
I would not advice Concorde OMR branch. Sales was pathetic and delivery was even worse. Imagine the hazard button conking off while doing a PDI and the sales guy has the guts to say, "Sir did you push it hard". And they took another 2 hours to get the car fixed meaning using screw driver to completely destroy the button as well as the outer cover(dash).

Its been a week since they promised me to take the car to the service centre and get this fixed. Neither the sales guy nor the manager ever called me for over 5 days now.

I have not signed any documents and dont have any intention to sign any document till these jokers fixed it.

Imagine going to take delivery of my car at 5PM only to take the car out at 930PM because of their screw up. If possible inquire in Tafe or other centres as well before going with these jokers. I can say this is the worst place to expect decent service. And they dont even keep up promises. I clearly told them to deliver by 5th and on 5th the guy calls and says registration is not done, and if i was ready to take the car without registration. Once you pay your money this branch does not give a care about their customers. Dont waste your time with these jokers and instead try the velachery Branch which also has a nice set up on the rear to inspect and even fix some minor issues.

I will write a separate thread on this branch. But do inquire with Tafe and other sellers and negotiate your price. These jokers will also push only Red, White or Silver or Blue color for they dont know how to get other colors in time. I will rate Tata Concorde sales at 1/10 when it comes to customer satisfaction.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 13:06   #1018
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
  1. Given that they have sold only <500 units last month, can I bargain a better deal?
  2. I am looking for 4 year AMC, but it appears there's no such scheme, only 2 years or 20,000km is available

Thanks.
Though in Bangalore, I have this deal.
Overall discount: 12k (10k + 2k)
Free AMC 2 yrs
Free Insurance --- You are not getting this it seems!

Not sure if deals vary across states.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 16:50   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would not advice Concorde OMR branch.
Thanks, I am now in touch with Concorde Velachery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Though in Bangalore, I have this deal.
Overall discount: 12k (10k + 2k)
Free AMC 2 yrs
Free Insurance --- You are not getting this it seems!

Not sure if deals vary across states.
In my case,

1.Ex-showroom : 316,681
2.Life Tax........ : 33,618
3.Insurance......: 13,586
4. AMC..............: 3,582
5. Dicount.........: 13,000
6. Free.............: additional mat set, mud flap

Are you saying - items 3 & 4 are also waived off apart from discount (item 5)? Please clarify, because additional ~Rs.17000 is a big discount to ignore.

And, can the discount from state to state vary by such a big margin? Unless, specific dealer is trying to clear old stock or previous year model?
Thanks.
tifosi.
Old 13th July 2016, 17:15   #1020
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Thanks, I am now in touch with Concorde Velachery.

In my case,

1.Ex-showroom : 316,681
2.Life Tax........ : 33,618
3.Insurance......: 13,586
4. AMC..............: 3,582
5. Dicount.........: 13,000
6. Free.............: additional mat set, mud flap

Are you saying - items 3 & 4 are also waived off apart from discount (item 5)? Please clarify, because additional ~Rs.17000 is a big discount to ignore.

And, can the discount from state to state vary by such a big margin? Unless, specific dealer is trying to clear old stock or previous year model?
Thanks.
tifosi.
Yes. 3 & 4 are waived off for me (Free AMC & Insurance was there last month too). Apart from that I have 12k discount and only free mud-flaps. They intend to charge me for the mats
The vehicle is June 2016 manufactured (VIN verified)
Do note that this did involve some really hard bargaining. Otherwise their basic scheme has 6k lesser discount.

You can probably escalate to tata nano tweets to get the dealer to call you in panic and frustration as to the missing insurance free scheme (rest of our deals are similar)
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks