Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/157090-mahindra-scorpio-official-review-56.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4386730)
http://s.aliexpress.com/VfmyQnyq

An adapter cable was required to connect the camera’s RCA jacks to the back of the Scorpio HU, and the camera needed to be enabled in the vehicle ECU, which I got done at a Mahindra ASS

The camera now works great, HD quality picture.

Can you please post a picture of how the rear looks post installation [a close p preferably where the camera is]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4411307)
Can you please post a picture of how the rear looks post installation [a close p preferably where the camera is]

Here you go. Quite unobtrusive I must say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4411409)
Here you go. Quite unobtrusive I must say.

And how good/bad is to when it comes to resistance to water?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4411418)
And how good/bad is to when it comes to resistance to water?

First it is a bit sheltered by the recessed area that the license plate is placed in.

Also the product documentation claims it is IP66 waterproof (and then says IP67 right below). In any case if this checks out it is reasonably safe against water. The image quality is as claimed.

http://s.aliexpress.com/rAV7bQFN

Sorry to keep bothering you. How easy/hard was the installation part?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4411821)
Sorry to keep bothering you. How easy/hard was the installation part?

Like any other reverse camera. There’s a clamp to install the camera behind the vehicle. Then run the rca jack cable from inside the car, through the usual channels wiring passes through, to the back of your scorpio HU (need to take the HU out of the dashboard for this). And a power cable that’s spliced to the car taillamp. Attach the RCA jack with a cable that connects rca to the connector at the back of the Scorpio. Fit the HU back. Then enable the reverse camera in the Scorpio ECU.

Any accessories installer can easily do the installation and wiring of the camera. Scorpio ECU camera enablement - common OBD II scanners don’t seem able to update the scorpio ECU, so you need to go to a Mahindra dealer for this. You can ask the dealer to install any software updates / patches to your HU as well, while he’s at it.

The installer will charge around 1500 to wire up the camera. The Mahindra dealer will charge 700 to connect up his proprietary OBD reader and enable the reverse camera, which literally takes minutes. :Frustrati

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/180046...4c2c7910TOEQVH

Btw that original link I posted appears to go to another camera which is for the Corolla. This is the generic one that fits on any car. Cameras specific to a particular model of car also available in which case they fit into one of the lamp sockets that illuminate the headlight.

Ah, quick question. I just saw this shot of the head unit from a new XUV 5OO. The deck looks about the same as the one in my S10 Scorpio - but the UI is much nicer.

Has anybody got the software in their Scorpio HU updated to this one from the XUV? Or are the two even compatible, does anyone have an idea regarding this?

I have a Dec 2015 S4+. While purchasing I did not pay attention to details and ended up buying the 9 seat version. I want to change it to a 7 seat configuration. Any ideas where I can get used car seats in North India - Chandigarh - Delhi area ?

I went to a car mechanic and he advised to get new center and rear seats as re arranging the current 9 seater center seat would mean hammering down the rear wheel arch which I don't want to do as it would compromise the structural integrity.

Any leads or advice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhruv45in (Post 4419396)
I have a Dec 2015 S4+. While purchasing I did not pay attention to details and ended up buying the 9 seat version. I want to change it to a 7 seat configuration. Any ideas where I can get used car seats in North India - Chandigarh - Delhi area ?

Mayapuri area in Delhi as well as the scrap market at Meerut are the common places where you may get the desired seats. You need to devote some time though to source the best quality old seats at a reasonable price. Although not a Scorpio owner but I think in 7 seater configuration you have two options,
a) captain seats in middle row plus front facing 3 people seat in the last row OR b) 3 seater middle row and side facing two seats at the rear.
Which one is more convenient from your usage and also the modification point of view that you might need to see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandisa (Post 4420012)
Mayapuri area in Delhi as well as the scrap market at Meerut are the common places where you may get the desired seats. You need to devote some time though to source the best quality old seats at a reasonable price. Although not a Scorpio owner but I think in 7 seater configuration you have two options,
a) captain seats in middle row plus front facing 3 people seat in the last row OR b) 3 seater middle row and side facing two seats at the rear.
Which one is more convenient from your usage and also the modification point of view that you might need to see.

On related lines - is there any way (I doubt it) to either -

1. Fit seatbelts on the two side facing 3rd row seats

or

2. Change this config to a bench seat and two captain seats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4420038)
On related lines - is there any way (I doubt it) to either -

1. Fit seatbelts on the two side facing 3rd row seats

or

2. Change this config to a bench seat and two captain seats.

Bumping this .. anyone?

Also - the oil change, with Maximile FEO Mineral - seems to be inspect every 10k km, change at the 5k mark, 20k mark and then every 20k, which is a grossly excessive interval for even fully synthetic oils. As per Section 14.21 here - https://www.withyouhamesha.com/owner...PIO-mHawk.html

Seems like a readymade recipe to get your injectors, EGR etc in a thoroughly bad state after say 60-70k km.

When do you folks normally change and what oil do you use? I splurged and filled Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 when I bought my Scorpio (which was just short of the 40k mark). It'd had its 40k service around 37k km when the previous owner had brought it in to fix some unrelated issue. Also topped up coolants and lubes with the Shell equivalents.

But that's extremely expensive, 6 liters of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is nearly 3700 rupees x 2 cans = Rs. 7400. Though the engine purrs like a cat on this!

So with great regret, I'm thinking of moving back to Mineral or Semi Synthetic, and changing at more appropriate intervals than "every 20k".

Suggestions welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4422069)
Bumping this .. anyone?

Also - the oil change, with Maximile FEO Mineral - seems to be inspect every 10k km, change at the 5k mark, 20k mark and then every 20k, which is a grossly excessive interval for even fully synthetic oils.

Suggestions welcome.

I am sure Mahindra has done all studies to justify the intervals but maybe it is more applicable for taxi/heavy users who maybe doing 20k every year.
My running is not so much and so I plan to follow every 10k.

Funny Story: At my 10K service, I asked for oil change and the SVC manager kept insisting there is no need. He finally made me sign a document stating that I had asked for oil change :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4422069)
Suggestions welcome.

Now that my vehicle isn't running a lot, I change engine oil / filter once a year. Before that, it was every 10k kms. Oil used has always been 15w40 mineral, brands tried till now are Mahindra Maximile, Mobil Delvac MX, GS Caltex Kixx D1 Platinum Plus.

This is more than enough for the mHawk engine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 4422711)
Now that my vehicle isn't running a lot, I change engine oil / filter once a year. Before that, it was every 10k kms. Oil used has always been 15w40 mineral, brands tried till now are Mahindra Maximile, Mobil Delvac MX, GS Caltex Kixx D1 Platinum Plus.

This is more than enough for the mHawk engine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

Thanks. I’ve heard quite good things about this oil - https://www.amazon.in/Synthetic-Dies...eywords=amsoil

American brand made in India by Greaves Cotton and specifically for trucks, which the Scorpio is, more or less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4422928)
Thanks. I’ve heard quite good things about this oil - https://www.amazon.in/Synthetic-Dies...eywords=amsoil

American brand made in India by Greaves Cotton and specifically for trucks, which the Scorpio is, more or less.

Specs seem impressive, but you will need to spend 5400 for 1 oil change. If you use mineral, you can fit 2 oil changes in the same amount.

At least I have never felt that the benefit of using synthetic in the Scorpio justifes the cost difference over a mineral. However, to each his own.

If you are reluctant to try Maximile, Shell and Total also have good minerals that match the Scorpio's recommended oil specs.