Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 12:32   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Mahindra re-launches Scorpio Adventure at Rs. 13.10 lakh

Mahindra has re-introduced the Scorpio Adventure limited edition in India. It is available in two variants - 2WD and 4WD. The two-wheel drive variant is priced at Rs. 13.10 lakh, while the four-wheel drive trim costs Rs. 14.20 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The Scorpio Adventure was first launched in the country a year ago with production limited to 1,000 units.

The re-launched Adventure edition is identical to the one that was introduced last year. It gets a dual-tone colour scheme, with the top body panels finished in white, while the lower ones get a mist silver treatment. Some additional body graphics are also featured on the door panels and the alloy wheels have a gunmetal finish. Other exterior design elements include smoked tail lamps, red brake callipers and ORVMs with integrated turn-indicators.

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-.jpg

On the inside, the Scorpio Adventure edition gets faux-leather upholstery with blue inserts. The features on offer are borrowed from the top-end S10 trim. Infotainment duties are handled by a 6-inch touchscreen unit that also comes attached to a rear view camera.

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-b.jpg

No mechanical changes have been made on the Adventure edition model. It continues to draw power from the 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder mHawk diesel engine that churns out 120 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 280 Nm of torque @ 1,800-2,800 rpm. This unit is mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 5th April 2017 at 12:51.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 14:26   #752
BHPian

As an ex-owner of Scorpio, I feel this beast has become too expensive, for what it offers, anyone else feels the same ? No doubt its rugged, goes eveywhere, has decent feature list and basic creature comforts. But still its close to 18L OTR in Bangalore for S10 4WD. Is it worth ?
2500cc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:42   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
As an ex-owner of Scorpio, I feel this beast has become too expensive, for what it offers, anyone else feels the same ? No doubt its rugged, goes eveywhere, has decent feature list and basic creature comforts. But still its close to 18L OTR in Bangalore for S10 4WD. Is it worth ?
Not, in my opinion. The Renault Duster is also in the same price bracket (4WD version). It's more comfortable with all independent suspension. I'd pick it over the Scorpio just so because I hate the ergonomics in this vehicle. The fit, finish and experience is far better in the Duster than in Scorpio.
Old 5th April 2017, 18:26   #754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For 18L, we got the Toyota Fortuner almost a decade back, it is priced close to 35L OTR or even more at some places. Not justifying Mahindra or any auto-maker, but when compact SUV's w/o any 4X4 hardware do come for 12/13L and raised hatches for 10/11, then I honestly think, it is priced on par with other cars/SUV's.

Worth it? There are only two ladder on frame SUV's with a low range in that price. Others are either soft-roaders or priced above 30L.

I am in no way defending the price at what the Scorpio retails at, I am just providing a POV
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:13   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from what @Sheel said, you do not have to go to top end S10 variant. The S4+ with 4wd is around 12 lakh on road. And it comes with abs and airbags.
Last year this time I was car hunting at around 12lakh range. And having driven almost everything (including Duster) the fun to ride feel is hard to beat in the MHawk Scorpio! (My personal opinion - not meaning to start any flame war)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes, after the [initial & only] issue of vacuum modulator/s, it is just like a Jap. How many kilometers?
Just completed 1 year and almost at 10000 km.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 21:09   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Which other 4WD would you prefer in that range or lower?
Just asking opinion.
Old 7th April 2017, 20:12   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, after the [initial & only] issue of vacuum modulator/s, it is just like a Jap.
In one of your earlier posts,if i recall, you mentioned the OEM for that part has been changed. Any idea whether it is confirmed and whether it has improved the general reliability issues w.r.t the modulators.

Quote:
Mahindra has definitely done some significant price revisions, but same is the case for other manufacturers in the similar segment as well. And Mahindra surely knows about the lack of competition for a typical model like s4+ 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Not, in my opinion. The Renault Duster is also in the same price bracket (4WD version). It's more comfortable with all independent suspension. I'd pick it over the Scorpio just so because I hate the ergonomics in this vehicle. The fit, finish and experience is far better in the Duster than in Scorpio.
Ride quality wise definitely the Duster is far better. However personally what i have found over some extended test drives and one or two long drives in the newer scorpio, the typical feel from the driver's seat in Scorpio is still kind of unmatched (i am coming from a jeep background though!).

Quote:
For 18L, we got the Toyota Fortuner almost a decade back, it is priced close to 35L OTR or even more at some places. Not justifying Mahindra or any auto-maker, but when compact SUV's w/o any 4X4 hardware do come for 12/13L and raised hatches for 10/11, then I honestly think, it is priced on par with other cars/SUV's.

Worth it? There are only two ladder on frame SUV's with a low range in that price. Others are either soft-roaders or priced above 30L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Apart from what @Sheel said, you do not have to go to top end S10 variant. The S4+ with 4wd is around 12 lakh on road. And it comes with abs and airbags.
....And having driven almost everything (including Duster) the fun to ride feel is hard to beat in the MHawk Scorpio!
+1 to that. Though they should provide AT tyres in the 4wd models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
Which other 4WD would you prefer in that range or lower?
Just asking opinion.
That is an interesting question
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 20:29   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Ride quality wise definitely the Duster is far better. However personally what i have found over some extended test drives and one or two long drives in the newer scorpio, the typical feel from the driver's seat in Scorpio is still kind of unmatched (i am coming from a jeep background though!).
It's definitely far better compared to a jeep. I had the opportunity to drive the Scorpio for one day and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I drove it on highways and winding roads. Here are my observations

a. Had a terrible headache after driving through winding roads and hairpin bends. Not sure why, I never had this problem in my S-Cross or Honda. It just made me sick.

b. Definitely bad road friendly, but as you get in and get out of deep potholes, you feel the whole cabin over-shake to the extent it makes you uncomfortable.

c. I personally felt far more in control in a fortuner than in the Scorpio. I attribute that to the seating position and ergonomics. The gear shift level, the seating and controls like power windows, etc are far more difficult to operate in the scorpio.

One thing though - the suspension on the new scorpio is way better than its predecessor. The mHawk engine is also great when it comes to highway drives and overtaking. The AC is an absolute chiller.
Old 8th April 2017, 22:29   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's definitely far better compared to a jeep.
I wasn't referring to the ride quality, any car has better ride quality than a thoroughly leaf-sprung jeep. I was referring to the overall feel from the driver's seat.

Quote:
I had the opportunity to drive the Scorpio for one day and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I drove it on highways and winding roads. Here are my observations

a. Had a terrible headache after driving through winding roads and hairpin bends. Not sure why, I never had this problem in my S-Cross or Honda. It just made me sick.
Quite a good no of people regularly take their Scorpios to the hills and in few high up tourist places Scorpio does duty as commercial taxi. Not sure the driver & occupants get such type of discomfort. I had one 800 km drive couple of months back including 200 km + on winding roads and didn't feel something like this. The body roll (which is significantly lower in the present avatar) may be a factor but not sure.

Quote:
...c. I personally felt far more in control in a fortuner than in the Scorpio. I attribute that to the seating position and ergonomics. The gear shift level, the seating and controls like power windows, etc are far more difficult to operate in the scorpio.
Should be true. Only thing is the former costs 2.5 times the latter.

Quote:
One thing though - the suspension on the new scorpio is way better than its predecessor. The mHawk engine is also great when it comes to highway drives and overtaking. The AC is an absolute chiller.
Old 8th April 2017, 23:16   #760
BANNED

Quote:
A body on frame SUV will NOT be as comfortable as a crossover like the S-Cross or a Honda (City I guess??) simply because it is a higher vehicle prone to increased body roll inside the cabin resulting in a nauseated feeling if driven like a crossover/sedan/hatchback.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2017 at 22:26. Reason: Use of acronym - BOF
Old 9th April 2017, 08:48   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A BOF SUV will NOT be as comfortable as a crossover like the S-Cross or a Honda (City I guess??) simply because it is a higher vehicle prone to increased body roll inside the cabin resulting in a nauseated feeling if driven like a crossover/sedan/hatchback.
Well, I didn't have the same issues with a fortuner and a volvo xc60 in an almost similar environment and driving conditions. The first Gen Scorpio was the worst. A colleague had it and every time I drove it, it was not a good experience. It might just be me as many others on the forum find it perfect. This is just my experience though.
Old 9th April 2017, 09:08   #762
BANNED

Quote:
Well, I didn't have the same issues with a fortuner and a volvo xc60 in an almost similar environment and driving conditions.
The XC 60 is NOT a BOF SUV and the Fortuner is anyway stiffer sprung than the Scorpio.
Old 9th April 2017, 17:44   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Any of you can suggest as to how to lock the doors from inside using the remote? The lever is too hard to be operated, especially from the passenger seat. And, at idle, the remote doesn't lock the SUV.

How is everyone's NG Scorpio doing? Thread appears pretty silent now
Dear Sheel,

You have triggered my curiosity. I shall try to check it out. If you find out, then please post here.

Girish Mahajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Last year this time I was car hunting at around 12lakh range. And having driven almost everything (including Duster) the fun to ride feel is hard to beat in the MHawk Scorpio! (My personal opinion - not meaning to start any flame war)

Just completed 1 year and almost at 10000 km.
Dear Sheel and timuseravan,

I agree with you. I find my S10 AT 2wd to be worth the money. I just completed the 10k service in 6 months of usage. On Friday, I had a small rattle from the rear right wheel area. On Saturday, it was fixed for a royal Rs 145/- -- a small plastic part was replaced. So, mostly living up to its reputation of being rugged but with minor rattles. Nothing bad worth writing home about.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:53   #764
BHPian

Hi All,

2.6 years and 30k on Odometer the list is slowly expanding on my S10. My maintenance is 10/10 and keep the car pristine (Pic is better than 1000 words).
So far-
  1. Brake drums replaced in the first and second service- Manu defect
  2. Starter motor replaced- Manu defect
  3. Clutch Fluid Leaking
- I was driving back from Chennai last week and noticed that clutch was loosing pedal once in a while. I parked it in the office basement and forgot about it for a week. Went to fetch it with a bottle of Dot4 (Fluid) assuming fluid is low and found it to empty. Filled the reservoir and one test round in the parking lot and a couple of pumps, the reservoir was empty. Called AS guys and they arranged to tow it with a Mahindra Adventure (Getaway) to the nearest WS. Thank god I have extended warranty and have demanded everything be replaced.

Since I do a lot of night driving (many times with family), a car with a dead clutch is not a good idea. Highway, you can still manage without clutch since there is not start stop and the gears will engage with the technique (you guys know). Entering the City and not having a clutch is a sitting duck.

I also hear a strange howling noise (whistle is still sweet) from the turbocharger at 1600-1900 RMP. They put it on diagnostics today and said "All is well" till I prove it tomorrow.

A stone chip in the front glass has been growing. Didn't want to replace as I have expensive UV film. I have asked them to do that as well.

Br,
Miyer
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-clutch-fluid.jpg  

Last edited by Miyer : 10th April 2017 at 21:57. Reason: Added odometer reading
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 23:32   #765
BHPian

Good going at my end as well with the red beast. Not too many kilo meters to boast but whatever I've gone through, makes me happy with my decision. Scorpio is a real king of highways and I love to take it out whenever I get time to do so. Some small rattles here and there which do disappear after some time. So nothing to worry.

In second service the front driver side shocker was changed because of a leakage without any cost to me. When I probed why so early leakage, answer was it was manageable and should not have caused problem in coming months but just to be on safer side, it was changed under warranty.

Faced my first puncture and could not reset the TPMS. Now know the technique.

Average is pretty good around 13 kmpl. Gear has becomes very soft and easy to handle. My only worry right now is to prevent those micro swirls on the red paint

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks