Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2016, 12:01   #511
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Today I booked a Black S10 4WD with Captain Seat in middle row. Estimated delivery is 22-March-2016. Hope it will not get delayed. Booking amount was 20000/-. On road price in Trivandrum is 1618000/-. This month there is a cash discount of 15000/-. Sales guy told discount/offers at the time of delivery will be applicable.
lal79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 12:31   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
The only things I really miss on S4+ is the 8 seat last row front facing option.
I had the mhawk 4WD with the front facing third row. To be honest it is very useless. There is no legspace, it is cramped and you have to move the middle row forward resulting in poor leg space for the middle row. I ended up removing it and keeping it at home. Since, mine had middle captain seats, I ended up using a 4 seater instead of8 seater .

Quote:
Most of the rest can be fixed in the S4+ including the ICR, alloys, leather seats etc
Most of the rest can be fixed in the S4+ including the ICR, alloys, leather seats etc[/quote]

I think S4+ makes perfect sense if you are looking for a basic/robust 4x4 Tourer with safety features. The higher up you go, the bigger hit you take when you sell as no on is looking for a 10 lakh second hand scorpio.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 11:46   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I had the mhawk 4WD with the front facing third row. To be honest it is very useless. There is no legspace, it is cramped and you have to move the middle row forward resulting in poor leg space for the middle row. I ended up removing it and keeping it at home. Since, mine had middle captain seats, I ended up using a 4 seater instead of8 seater .

I think S4+ makes perfect sense if you are looking for a basic/robust 4x4 Tourer with safety features. The higher up you go, the bigger hit you take when you sell as no on is looking for a 10 lakh second hand scorpio.
Thanks for info - I always had the niggling doubt in my mind about 7 seater vs 8. The 7 seater seems the best option
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:03   #514
BHPian

Booked the S4+ 2WD yesterday in Black color at Sahyadri Motors Pune!
The entire inquiry and booking procedure was quite good with all details being explained. The expected delivery date is mid March.
Now the hunt begins for accessories.
I am planning for the following -

Mats: 3M Nomad Custom

Seat Covers: I am thinking of going for fabric or fabric+art leather covers. Can anyone recommend me a good shop in Pune? The dealer is quoting around 10k for fabric + art leather cover. It seems to be decent quality.

Paint Protection: I went through the comparison threads and became even more confused! Ideally I should be shampooing and waxing the car every month but frankly it would not be possible for me. Any ideas here would be appreciated - Waxyol/3M/Skip it?.

Underbody Protection: The weather in Pune is quiet dry and so thinking of skipping it.

ICE: I am totally confused here. The popular opinion on T-BHP seems to be Pioneer. I have a budget of around 25k for the touchscreen ICE with BT + 4 speakers + reverse camera. Any good recommendations? And also shop in Pune?
The dealer has only Sony equipment and it seems to be pricy. Would going to a non-dealer shop void the warranty?

Also the dealer is pushing me to get floor insulation done. They remove all the seats and use PU material sheet to completely cover the floor. Is this necessary? The cost is about 7K. I am inclined to skip it.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:44   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The entire inquiry and booking procedure was quite good with all details being explained. The expected delivery date is mid March.
Now the hunt begins for accessories.
Don't buy anything from the dealer, all accessories will be cheaper outside. In fact, I'd go one step further and advise you to use the vehicle as it is for a month or so and then re-evaluate what all you need. Chances are you might skip everything in this list (ok, maybe buy the mats)
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:28   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations, what was the ex-showroom and the final on-road price?

Quote:
Seat Covers: I am thinking of going for fabric or fabric+art leather covers. Can anyone recommend me a good shop in Pune? The dealer is quoting around 10k for fabric + art leather cover. It seems to be decent quality.
Don't go for any accessories from the dealer, they earn huge margins on them. Just two days back I placed an order of seat covers for my TUV-T8, material "Lavish Leather" from Shree Ashtavinayak enterprises, Rasta Peth. If you have ever heard the seat covers with a brand name called "Wings", these are manufactured by them. Exactly a year back I did the seat covers for my Innova and I was very satisfied with the quality and the workmanship. They even come to your home for the fitment. Do let me know in case you need further details & I can share them with you.

Quote:
Paint Protection
Quote:
: I went through the comparison threads and became even more confused! Ideally I should be shampooing and waxing the car every month but frankly it would not be possible for me. Any ideas here would be appreciated - Waxyol/3M/Skip it?.
Why do you need that? Polishing/waxing once a year should be sufficient. If you have a covered parking at home & at office, then I don't think there is a need going for Paint Protection.

Quote:
Underbody Protection
Quote:
: The weather in Pune is quiet dry and so thinking of skipping it.
Correct, this is not required and would be a waste of money.

Quote:
ICE
Quote:
: I am totally confused here. The popular opinion on T-BHP seems to be Pioneer. I have a budget of around 25k for the touchscreen ICE with BT + 4 speakers + reverse camera. Any good recommendations? And also shop in Pune?
You can get any make of HUD at the shop mentioned above. Even I would vouch for Pioneer any day. The Pioneer HUs served me well in my Indica and the Innova.

Quote:
The dealer has only Sony equipment and it seems to be pricy. Would going to a non-dealer shop void the warranty?
No, not at all, unless there is wire cutting.

Quote:
Also the dealer is pushing me to get floor insulation done. They remove all the seats and use PU material sheet to completely cover the floor. Is this necessary? The cost is about 7K. I am inclined to skip it.
Again the dealer is quoting almost double the price. I did the complete floor lamination for my Innova from the above shop with the best quality material. It costed me 3.3K a year back. Lamination is not required if you are going for 3M mats.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:06   #517
BHPian

Thanks AutoIndian, comfortablynumb.
I am not planning on getting anything from the dealer - just inquired about the options and pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations, what was the ex-showroom and the final on-road price?
I am getting it for 10,99000 on road apart from insurance which I am getting on my own. The dealer was quoting around 47k for 0 dep while I am getting it outside for around 27K !!
I tried negotiating but the dealer did not budge at all.

Quote:
Don't go for any accessories from the dealer, they earn huge margins on them. Just two days back I placed an order of seat covers for my TUV-T8, material "Lavish Leather" from Shree Ashtavinayak enterprises, Rasta Peth. If you have ever heard the seat covers with a brand name called "Wings", these are manufactured by them. Exactly a year back I did the seat covers for my Innova and I was very satisfied with the quality and the workmanship. They even come to your home for the fitment. Do let me know in case you need further details & I can share them with you.
Can you share the details and pricing if possible?

Quote:
Why do you need that? Polishing/waxing once a year should be sufficient. If you have a covered parking at home & at office, then I don't think there is a need going for Paint Protection.
I have covered parking at home but not in office. I am really confused on this point.

Quote:
You can get any make of HUD at the shop mentioned above. Even I would vouch for Pioneer any day. The Pioneer HUs served me well in my Indica and the Innova.
Can you recommend any Pioneer HUD and speakers? I am a complete noob with respect to ICE. My listening is mostly softer songs - old hindi, classical, or something like Johny Cash.
Old 22nd February 2016, 22:19   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share the details and pricing if possible?
For bigger cars (7 or 8 seats) he charges 11.5K for Lavish Leather, which includes installation as well (in your office or at home). There are other varieties of leather also (cannot recollect the names), which are cheaper than the above.

Quote:
Can you recommend any Pioneer HUD and speakers? I am a complete noob with respect to ICE. My listening is mostly softer songs - old hindi, classical, or something like Johny Cash.
Even I am not an expert & don't know the models off hand, but within a range of 15-20K you should be able to get a pretty decent piece.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 03:09   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The dealer was quoting around 47k for 0 dep while I am getting it outside for around 27K !! I tried negotiating but the dealer did not budge at all...
Don't give up. Mail Mahindra customer care / reach out on their FB page with your concern. Am sure it'll be resolved to your satisfaction. The reason why dealer is taking tough stand is because of his heavy margin - ~40%!!

Quote:
...I have covered parking at home but not in office. I am really confused on this point...
My car never had the sealant done. I used to do a yearly waxing. Never had any closed parking at home either. The Swift's paint held rather well for 5 years. And, the paint quality of a Swift is neither held in high regards.

Point to note is to avoid parking slots where there is a chance of bird poo dropping on your car, like under the tree / lamp posts / electrical lines etc.

Quote:
...Can you recommend any Pioneer HUD and speakers? I am a complete noob with respect to ICE. My listening is mostly softer songs - old hindi, classical, or something like Johny Cash.
There will only be one or two models which will be hot in the market at any given point of time. You'll not go wrong with it. On speakers, please try JBL/Polk - listen to both with same songs & pick what you liked more. Or go to a professional audio shop & get their suggestions based on your preference. If you can carry 4-5 different songs of your choice (from all the genres you listened to) for them to listen, even better. Avoid all Xplod products at any costs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd February 2016 at 03:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:47   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Don't give up. Mail Mahindra customer care / reach out on their FB page with your concern. Am sure it'll be resolved to your satisfaction. The reason why dealer is taking tough stand is because of his heavy margin - ~40%!!
I meant he was not ready to give any discounts on the price or accessories whatsoever. I suppose its because Scorpio is selling quiet well. Regarding the insurance, I just told him that I am getting it done from outside and he was ok with that.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 16:04   #521
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio special edition coming up?

The ol' Mahindra Scorpio has been around in the Indian market since 2002. The new version that was launched in 2014 helped the company maintain a steady 4,000+ monthly sales until recently, when sales dipped owing to fresh competition. Mahindra hasn't given up on this old workhorse (given the popularity it still enjoys) and launched an automatic in July last year and even introduced a sub 2L diesel engine to continue sales in Delhi and NCR.

Now, a Rushlane reader has managed to click what seems to be a special edition of the Scorpio. The SUV is partially camouflaged, but it sports a two tone exterior body colour with side decals. The outside door handles and the body cladding wear the same colour. It even seems to sport new 5-spoke alloy wheels and the front brake calipers are painted red. The roof rails too appear silver in colour instead of the black ones found on the regular Scorpio. No more details can be derived from the current set of spy pictures.

The Scorpio is currently sold in 10 variants including two 4WD versions, one AT and one 4WD + AT. Prices for the Scorpio range from Rs. 8.62 lakh to Rs. 14.08 lakh, ex-showroom Mumbai.

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-2016mahindrascorpiospecialedition1-1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-2016mahindrascorpiospecialedition5.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-2016mahindrascorpiospecialedition7.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 16:40   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Tini - Despite the sense, that the S4+ 4WD makes, on paper, 8 months of ownership makes me opine, otherwise!

A weak front end, excessively soft suspension, bad body roll, pitching, yawing, easily loses traction, low torque down the Rev range, mediocre braking, compromised driver ergonomics due to lack of seat height adjustment, inability to fit a Double Din, bad middle row leg room, and inability to retain suspension alignment beyond 2000 kms - have all led me to this opinion, over 8 months of ownership.
I have done a fair bit of off-road and highway driving and during the latter, do not feel confident about the dynamics or braking of the vehicle over 90-100 kmph. I am riding on stock size Pirelli tyres, which are otherwise, nicely cushioned, quiet and grippy.

The good news is, since I picked this up on a 3 year company lease, I'll be easily able to switch to something else in less than 2.5 years.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 16:52   #523
BHPian

Years back I had driven the second iteration Scorpio (CRDE engine) extensively and recently when I was in market for a new vehicle took a test drive of current version only to find out that Mahindra has not moved much with the core product and its issues.
Old 25th February 2016, 20:51   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Tini - Despite the sense, that the S4+ 4WD makes, on paper, 8 months of ownership makes me opine, otherwise!

A weak front end, excessively soft suspension, bad body roll, pitching, yawing, easily loses traction, low torque down the Rev range, mediocre braking, compromised driver ergonomics due to lack of seat height adjustment, inability to fit a Double Din, bad middle row leg room, and inability to retain suspension alignment beyond 2000 kms - have all led me to this opinion, over 8 months of ownership.
Hi Roy, The issues you have is not specific to the S4+ plus but malady of Scorpio in General. The problem though is that, there is no other 4WD tourer available at this price with a decent power train and safety features. Personally, I would pick up a second hand Fortuner/Pajero Sport over a Scorpio, but for someone with a budget constraint, there is no choice...
Old 25th February 2016, 21:01   #525
Senior - BHPian

Agreed Tini. That's why it looks so good on paper, as I mentioned earlier.
I just didn't expect it to lack so much on the suspension and dynamics, after the refresh. Of course the short test drive on the 2WD S10 didn't help matters at all.
I also echo that a used Fortuner is a lot more value at about the same price point and may well end up being more reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks