Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:36   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Took delivery of a new Scorpio S10 4WD black in November end. Just came back from a freezing Bhutan trip with my family on Christmas day. The car just felt awesome keeping in mind my previous car to be a Duster 110PS. Further there were no starting problems at subzero temperatures, -6°C to be precise.
Lucky you, himadrimondal! I have been lusting after the new Scorpio for a while (currently using the 2004 Glx over the past 10 years) and will look forward to your updates and ownership experience.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 22:08   #482
BHPian

Installing Scorpio S10 ICE in S4+

Hi All,

I recently purchased a S4+ model and was looking at installing a HU plus speakers in the car as it doesnt come with any. Does anyone know if I can install the HU that comes as factory fit in S10 model?

If not, any recommendation for HU plus speakers for the front and the rear?

Thanks

Dhruv
Old 11th January 2016, 10:32   #483
BHPian

Re: Installing Scorpio S10 ICE in S4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Hi All,

I recently purchased a S4+ model and was looking at installing a HU plus speakers in the car as it doesnt come with any. Does anyone know if I can install the HU that comes as factory fit in S10 model?

If not, any recommendation for HU plus speakers for the front and the rear?

Thanks

Dhruv
Why not install a pioneer double din headunit. It would be definitely better in terms of sq compared to company provided HU. And speaker choices would definitely depend on your budget and kind of music you listen to.

I have a pioneer hu and Dls front and rear speakers and I find the music quite clear and loud without getting too bright.
soumen.blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 17:05   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
Why not install a pioneer double din headunit. It would be definitely better in terms of sq compared to company provided HU. And speaker choices would definitely depend on your budget and kind of music you listen to.

I have a pioneer hu and Dls front and rear speakers and I find the music quite clear and loud without getting too bright.
Yes I know that's the better option, just wanted to know if putting S10 HU was an option and how much will it cost.

I terms of budget, I am thinking in the range of 25-30k for the HU and the speakers. Want to add an amp and subwoofer at a later stage, so the system should be compatible. Any recommendations? Also if it makes sense, I can invest in amp and woofer now and get a good system going. The kind of music I mostly listen is Punjabi (not the loud ones), sufi and some bollywood music.
Old 11th January 2016, 18:32   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I know that's the better option, just wanted to know if putting S10 HU was an option and how much will it cost.

I terms of budget, I am thinking in the range of 25-30k for the HU and the speakers. Want to add an amp and subwoofer at a later stage, so the system should be compatible. Any recommendations? Also if it makes sense, I can invest in amp and woofer now and get a good system going. The kind of music I mostly listen is Punjabi (not the loud ones), sufi and some bollywood music.
I dont think you will the same HU as in S10, however when I spoke to the SA about the same, he mentioned the standard accessory will cost around 40K, which IMO is not worth.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 23:10   #486
BHPian

Yes I think you are right. Thinking about installing pioneer 5890bt with rockford fosgate 6.75" punch speakers on the front door. Still deciding about the rear speakers, amp and a subwoofer.
Old 24th January 2016, 19:18   #487
BHPian

My 2wd S10 crossed 16.5 kms . Had quite a few visits to service station compared to Jap manufactured cars . Had an issue with heater , details earlier in this thread. Issue corrected . Now heater is over active. Front speaker replaced as it had blurring effect. Awaiting cruise control parts as it gets deactivated during quick key presses or longer presses . only headlights under observation for water deposits post rains . Touchwood and wish issues stabilize else weekends will go visiting service stations . Lot to learn from Jap Mahindra ....
ManuMacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 09:05   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
only headlights under observation for water deposits post rains . Touchwood and wish issues stabilize else weekends will go visiting service stations . Lot to learn from Jap Mahindra ....
Well, as mentioned in the Official review, dirt & water does seep in in the fog-lamp housing. Haven't got it looked into but will in a couple of days.

You might have read about slight niggles in my ownership thread as well? I got the Scorpio as there was nothing below 25L which one could buy, infact other choices would cost close to 30L OTR.

Mahindra should not only learn from Japs but others as well [Korean, American or German] I have had the pleasure of driving/owning all 3 and ownership has been flawless [save for ASC in case of German]

Last edited by Sheel : 25th January 2016 at 09:08.
Old 28th January 2016, 14:20   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
If someone can offer their experience and expertise on the following problems, it will be of great help;
Get the release bearing changed and bleed the clutch. If the problem continues, I am afraid, you should be ready for clutch change soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Took delivery of a new Scorpio S10 4WD black in November end.
Congratulations! Did you get any opportunity to test the 4WD? If yes, how was the the experience?

Quote:
Took delivery of my S4+ white scorpio yesterday. I would like to have an engine guard installed. Any ideas or recommendations?
Congratulations! How much does that cost?
You can go for the after market engine gaurd. Should cost around 2k. Its more than double in MnM dealership.
Old 5th February 2016, 16:42   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Congratulations! How much does that cost?
You can go for the after market engine gaurd. Should cost around 2k. Its more than double in MnM dealership.
Thanks. The price break up is:

Ex show room in HP: 10,15,000
Discount: 50,000
Insurance: 31,000

Installed the ICE, opted for Pioneer 5890BT HU, Kickr co axials in front, kickr ovals in the back door and Blapunkt 4channel amp. Listened to the set up with a blapunkt woofer but preferred the sound without one. The total damage was about 60k including 4 dynamats and branded wiring. It does sound good though!

Last edited by dhruv45in : 5th February 2016 at 16:43. Reason: spelling mistake
dhruv45in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 11:58   #491

Hello Dhruv,

Can you tell me the exact location of ovals you have fitted at the back of your scorpio?
Old 12th February 2016, 14:32   #492
BHPian

Hello Scorpians!
My current petrol Swift is aging fast and with my dads ancient M800 given to a relative, we have a need for a new car.
After a lot of research on the forum and internet, I have found the best fit for our requirements to be Scorpio S4+ 7 seater.
Thanks teamBHP for the great review and the members for ownership threads (especially Sheel and joybhowmik)
I was very impressed with longish test drive and the high seating position.

The only question in my mind is whether to go for 4x4 or not. The main usage will be 90% highway and out of city travel (Konkan, Goa, Bangalore etc).
I do not really forsee using 4x4 mode much but have read at quiet a few places that 4x4 Scorpio has a better ride and handling even in 4x2 mode.

We had decided on budget of 12lakhs and the 4x2 S4+ fits in very well with some money left for ICE and accessories.
The onroad for 4x4 comes to 13lakhs. I can manage to stretch to 13lakhs. But is the ride quality of the 4x4 worth the additional cost?
I have gone through the complete review and ownership thread but cant seem to come to a decision.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:15   #493
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I do not really forsee using 4x4 mode much but have read at quiet a few places that 4x4 Scorpio has a better ride and handling even in 4x2 mode.
The 4WD does ride better but not that better making the investment worthwhile just for better ride quality. Go for the 2WD and if you are really keen on improving the ride, say, 50k km down the line, just put better shock absorbers and springs by Ironman, TEIN and the like and you will be happy.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 19:10   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The 4WD does ride better but not that better making the investment worthwhile just for better ride quality. Go for the 2WD and if you are really keen on improving the ride, say, 50k km down the line, just put better shock absorbers and springs by Ironman, TEIN and the like and you will be happy.
I am planning to book a 4WD Scorpio next week. I am also in the same dilemma. In the past with my previous vehicles (2WD hatch and sedan) I got stuck/had to turn back in few occasions where I had to drive through very bad road(mostly muddy) in rainy season.

In one such occasion I had to cross a muddy area to reach a friends house. I could see other hatchbacks and sedans crossing the area. Hence I gathered some courage and crossed the area. On my way back the situation was bit more worse due to rain. I had no other go than attempting to cross the area. My ride was a Skoda Rapid. Got stuck in the middle. Then few local guys came to rescue and they pushed the vehicle out of the muddy area.

My doubt is Scorpio 2WD being a RWD vehicle will it be worse in similar scenarios? I am asking this because some of my friends told me that RWD vehicles, when there is no passengers/or load in the rear, tend to slip even in mild offroad situation where a FWD one could easily pass through. Is this true?
Old 13th February 2016, 11:45   #495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
I am asking this because some of my friends told me that RWD vehicles, when there is no passengers/or load in the rear, tend to slip even in mild offroad situation where a FWD one could easily pass through. Is this true?
Yes, in principle, this is true. A FWD car is better offroad in slush, sand etc because its driving wheels get better traction since the engine weight pushes them better towards the road/surface. This is one of the reasons most hill towns up north and north east have more hatchbacks than any other car.

However, they have other drawbacks off road which are currently not our point of discussion.

Coming to 2WD, RWD SUVs, they are definitely capable of mild offroading due to their better ground clearance, greater wheel articulation and general robustness. Hence they perform better than hatchbacks in rocky, undulating surfaces, and longer patches of non-existent roads.

To top up all of it, a l-o-t of progress offroad depends on the capability of the driver.

Let me know if you need any more inputs on this before you sign the dotted line.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed