Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/157090-mahindra-scorpio-official-review-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by agbenny (Post 3605587)
A friend of mine gave me a thumb rule, The gear you were while climbing up should be the gear you use to downshift, and I think he was correct.

I guess you meant "downhill" and not "downshift". He was indeed right.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 3605647)
I guess you meant "downhill" and not "downshift". He was indeed right.:thumbs up

Not always.
I have tried this many times - I can climb up the same gradient in 3rd gear, but when trying to get downhill the same slope using the same gear and that too by avoiding braking and relying just on engine breaking, it becomes a bit scary.

So in the end, just engine breaking would not work. Good ol breaks would :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 3605647)

Yes, You are correct. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaneja (Post 3605740)
Not always.
I have tried this many times - I can climb up the same gradient in 3rd gear, but when trying to get downhill the same slope using the same gear and that too by avoiding braking and relying just on engine breaking, it becomes a bit scary.

Its not always, but most of the times, it works. Unless you find the road free and bit flat when you downshift.

I have've driven to Ooty 100 times in the last 15 years, and also lived there for 2 years - and I see it mostly worked. But as you say sometime if you do not change gears we could end up wasting fuel unnecessarily or it could be scary too. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaneja (Post 3605740)

Mere engine braking is NOT supposed to be your sole braking aid. lol:

It is only supposed to aid your brakes and reduce brake fade and wear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3603557)
A pic of yours truly being handed over the keys by my friend/dealer. The kid is my nephew and I am to your right, wearing a jacket resembling the color red/orange (unsure :D )

Congratulations , so finally it arrives clap: . Enjoy your new ride , where is the first long trip planned for ?

Took a test drive of the new Scorpio today and somewhat had mixed feelings/opinions.

Pros:
1. Fantastic engine, good low end torque which makes life very easy as far as the city driving is concerned.
2. Engine noise is within acceptable limits
3. I felt like I was the master of the road!!
4. Clutch was neither hard nor very light.
5. Exteriors looks are good. At least to me and appreciate that the new Scorpio looks better than the outgoing model.
6. Driving comfort was good but not great. But this is to be really appreciated when compared to the old Scorpio.
7. Stock rubbers are good and acceptable.
8. Touch screen audio system and JBL speakers fitment is to be appreciated.

Cons:
1. Interiors are pathetic. Definitely not acceptable for a vehicle which is close to 14.9L on road (S10 in Bangalore)

2. Driver seat adjustment is useless and irritating. I couldn't find an ideal position at all and only the S10 variant comes with Driver seat adjustment is what the Sales Guy says. Also the driver's seat was narrow and my right hand was constantly hitting the door.

3. I felt that the second gear runs out of breath too early and you need to upshift pretty soon to gain momentum.

4.Steering feedback was not good. It was pretty hard.

5.Indicator stalk and all the plastics in the cabin looks outdated and flimsy. I really didn't like the glove box and also the way in which the dashboard is designed.

6. AC was ok and not a chiller.

7. Braking was average

8. Pricing seems to be exorbitant. Rather I would choose XUV 500 itself at this price. The W4 version of XUV 500 makes more sense with some good discounts.

9. 2nd row leg room is ok. But the 3rd row is something meant only for kids. Also the 7 seater option is something I really hate because it becomes difficult for long drives. If it is 8 seater, then the last row is meant only for kids.

10. Ingress and egress is difficult for elders because one has to literally climb inside the car.

11. The top end variant ie. S10 only has the steering mounted audio controls. It is simply non-sense to have this in the top end variant. Instead this should have been in S8 or lower variants itself. It is pretty basic these days.

Overall a serious let down and disappointment. I had been waiting to test drive the new Scorpio ever since it was launched. But at last, a big no no. I really don't have anything great to say about Scorpio or to show something great and convince my people at home to opt for Scorpio.

Guys where can I get side cladding of Scorpio. My right side last piece is to be replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inder (Post 3609070)
Guys where can I get side cladding of Scorpio. My right side last piece is to be replaced.

Isn't the dealer helping?

Quote:

Originally Posted by inder (Post 3609070)

Any M&M A.S.S. should be able to do it for you. Difficult to get it done from outside.

Most of the new parts barring a few Accessories are available with the dealer/spares.

I could not find the OEM-
  1. Reverse Camera
  2. 5th Alloy Wheel
  3. Driver door top Grab Handle
  4. Different Seat Configurations and mounting Brackets
  5. Workshop Manual

Its is 2 months the car is released in the market and distribution of pares are not done. Dealers say by 15th Jan'15 we will let you know.

Ownership reviews starting to trickle-

The plastic pins holding the Front Fender, the Wheel well cladding and mudflaps are so flimsy. In a new car you may have to put a drop of Feviquick/any Cyanoacrylate adhesive to keep them from not rattling or falling off as a first DIY job.

The dealer is saying it is not available individually. I have to get the whole set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyer (Post 3610347)
Most of the new parts barring a few Accessories are available with the dealer/spares.

I stand corrected. I was trying to say, Parts are NOT available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inder (Post 3610391)
The dealer is saying it is not available individually. I have to get the whole set.

The whole all around cladding just for 1 piece?? :Shockked:

Try contacting Mahindra directly and see what they say. Alternatively, you could check at any neighbourhood garages if they can help you procure the OE part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rki2007 (Post 3608394)
Took a test drive of the new Scorpio today and somewhat had mixed feelings/opinions....

Pros:
8. Touch screen audio system and JBL speakers fitment is to be appreciated.

Was the test drive vehicle fitted with aftermarket speakers?

As far as I remember, the touch screen audio system was indeed a delight but the speakers were a big let down. They seemed to be of the cheapest grade, leave aside JBL. It is surprising to read that Mahindra now offers JBLs with the Scorpio (if true) or maybe it was just the TD vehicle that was fitted with the same to impress customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3611917)
Was the test drive vehicle fitted with aftermarket speakers?

As far as I remember, the touch screen audio system was indeed a delight but the speakers were a big let down. They seemed to be of the cheapest grade, leave aside JBL. It is surprising to read that Mahindra now offers JBLs with the Scorpio (if true) or maybe it was just the TD vehicle that was fitted with the same to impress customers.

I was also shocked to see JBL speakers fitted. Upon inquiring the Sales Guy, he said me that both S8 and S10 comes with JBL speakers. But still the sound quality was average only and not great!!

I tried this to figure it out in the Scorpio official website, but couldn't find any information regarding the speakers.

Can the Scorpio owners confirm this?