Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 21:37   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Bangalore Ex showroom for ZDI (O) is at 10.21L taking it more than the dreaded 10L mark. Why is there a huge difference of 41k from the Delhi prices?
Old 6th October 2014, 23:07   #92
BHPian

I just got back from the test drive. The car is not a head turner and sure to get losts in a crowd but a nice decent looking design. Only the zdi was available. Zdi+ will take 4 to 5 months is what I heard. Thats too long a wait but left with no choice until they figure out the infotainment system.

Drive impression:
Driver seat is not comfortable to fit nor adjust as low as some might prefer but it tranfers comfort on uneven roads.
Back seat is also not as comfortable as the City. Tall passenger has no under thigh and head room
Big car feel.
Rare legroom is comparable to the sunny, there is a lot of space
Spacious interiors
Dash board with basic audio system looks premium
White lit speedo looks nice at night
Orange lit buttons not so appealing
Plastic quality is good enough
Drive is truely smooth and good.
Very comfortable to drive around city
Noice levels are less inside the cabin
Swallows potholes amazingly
Accelerates fast
Gear knob positioning is perfect and well mated with the engine
AC is well powered to even take Chennai heat.

It scores 75/100

But what a terrible waiting period. There is absolutely no concession for someone who booked a month back. Why did they take a prebooking, is still a question unanswered even by the sale representstive.
Maruti is taking its own sweet time and the typical unorganised manner of execution.
Truely disappointed by the waiting period and no availablity of zdi+

Last edited by Visaster : 6th October 2014 at 23:12.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 23:34   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neethi_raj View Post
Dear Crazy Driver, you are right. The only saving grace for the city in the lower spec version is the ABS and the Driver Airbag. IMO it's high time car manufacturers put safety above other creature comforts. Kudos to Honda, VW and the likes for have taken the right step.

Also, could you please double check on the touchscreen infotainment system? The City has it in its top 2 variants and the Ciaz doesn't offer them.
The 5" screen on the City is not a touch screen, but a dual din display. This is specifically mentioned in our official review.

Ciaz offers a 7" touchscreen on the Z+ versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
The Honda City do have "Driver Side Window One Touch Up/Down with Pinch Guard".
Thanks for the clarification.

From the official brochure of the City - it looked like auto up/down is there, but without anti-pinch. Its not mentioned in our official review either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
The price list above shown for Bangalore shared by Volkman has V, V+, Z & Z(O). There is no mention of Z+ but your table shows 5 variants instead of 4 and the odd one is Z+. What am i missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Excellent comparo. A minor correction - The Z_I (O) variants and the Z_I+ variants are the same.
Z(O) and Z+ variants are different and this is stated in the official brochure.

"Z+ variants in both petrol and diesel will be available shortly and will have all the features of the Z-O variant and SmartPlay system"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Maruti is taking its own sweet time and the typical unorganised manner of execution.
Truely disappointed by the waiting period and no availablity of zdi+
Putting A + B together, i think the infotainment system might be designed and supplied by Bosch - who are struggling with strikes and lockouts at their end.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th October 2014 at 23:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 23:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
The Zxi/di variants come w fabric+leather upholstery. What does this mean? What is draped in leather and what in fabric? What about seats - are they leather or fabric? Thanks.
The seats are actually a combination of Leather and Fabric on the Z Variants. Apologies I didn't click any pictures, but to give you an indication; the edges or the corners (as highlighted in the image) of the seat are Leather (Leatherette?) and the actual back rest,seat are fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-picture1.png  

amit_2025 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 00:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

Took this from The TAI forum. Variant wise comparison with City-
Attached Images

harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 00:55   #96
BHPian

Excellent review with lot of details. Maruti has packed Ciaz with lot of features but then missing out on rear seat under-thigh support, probably a sun roof, DRLs and cruise control for its top end variants would have pitched it somewhere close to the Honda City. Knowing the fate of its predecessor (the Sx4 and the Kizashi) which either lacked the finesse & features or correct pricing respectively, it still seems IMO a battle against too many odds for Ciaz.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2014 at 15:12. Reason: Strictly no acronyms when referring to cars. Thanks
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 02:37   #97
BHPian

Comparing the Ciaz with the City, Vento/Rapid is understandable due to price point, but it holds no ground when it comes to power. The engine is small for that size of a car.

They have priced the car based on the features being added. But what about the engine. It's the same on Manza too.

If we are comparing Ciaz with Sunny & Scala, why leave out Manza. After all its sales numbers have been better than both the cars. And the 1.3 engine on the

Manza is a gem to drive with the same engine and does not fell underpowered.
Old 7th October 2014, 06:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

The Ciaz has not created the hype the Swift or even the Ecosport generated prior to or post the launch. The car, though loaded to the hilt, is not so exceptional or awe inspiring in toto. But is going to be a hit being a Maruti and a very very VFM product with a killer price tag.. As one who is scouting for a new car I am not excited to grab a copy.

Further, it is likely that this pricing would continue till Maruti gets a bigger diesel power plant.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 08:13   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Took this from The TAI forum. Variant wise comparison with City-
Not accurate IMHO.
  • Base variant of the City is E and not S.
  • Front and rear armrest is present only from SV versions in the City.
  • Electric adjustable ORVMs are present from S variants, while electric foldable ORVMs are present only from V.
  • While steering mounted audio controls are present in S, steering mounted telephone controls are present only from SV.
  • Keyless entry is present from S variants, but start/stop button is present only on the VX.

Here's a list I had compiled yesterday and posted in one of the earlier pages -

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_exteriors.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_interiors.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_comfort.jpg
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-ciaz_safety.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 08:35   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice detailed review.
Ciaz is leagues ahead of the outgoing SX4 except the ground clearance.

Any idea about the ground clearance for the top end version which comes with 16inch alloys and 195 spec tyres?
Old 7th October 2014, 08:38   #101
BANNED

I am looking for a comparative between the Ciaz VXi and the Verna 1.4 CX. There are ads showing price cuts for the Verna with base 1.4 now offering 6.81 lakhs in this morning's Hindustan Times. Also, in the past also, I've found Hyundai dealerships to be more responsive and customer friendly especially if you tell them you've just come from a Maruti test drive (happened with a friend who I had persuaded to look at a Swift and she ended up buying the i10 Grand mainly because the dealer staff were way better).

I am so close to cancelling the Ciaz VXi booking and asking for a refund that it is not even visible, the gap, but then, what in lieu, Verna CX? Or another Swift and 3-box be forgotten?
malq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 08:55   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Any idea about the ground clearance for the top end version which comes with 16inch alloys and 195 spec tyres?
Both the tyre profiles are a perfect match, hence there should be no question of a different ground clearance figure.

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-untitled1.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th October 2014 at 08:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 09:06   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Both the tyre profiles are a perfect match, hence there should be no question of a different ground clearance figure.

Attachment 1296496
Thanks for the clarification.

I got a doubt because the Ciaz brochure says "Minimum" Ground Clearance is 170.

Also, I think Linea 15inch / 195 and 16inch / 205 have a difference of 5mm in Ground Clearance.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2014 at 15:14. Reason: Typos
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 09:48   #104
BANNED

Missing petrol review badly. No idea why our team didn't get one for test drive.

Just read today that Maruti has bagged 12,000 bookings already. Not a bad start at all. I am sure Maruti will sell 5K cars per month at least for first 1 year. So no discounts will be on offer as some people were dreaming of. Overall package looks good. Very good upgrade for Swift, Dzire, SX4 owners. I am sure Maruti loyalists will buy this car. Design is very classy & i liked it over City & Verna, which looks design overdone to me. Too many curves.
Old 7th October 2014, 10:03   #105
BHPian

Excellent review, Aditya! Nice attention to detail. Regarding performance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
...yet with the 1.3L, it's an average performer on the road.
Stomp on the accelerator pedal and progress can be best described as "not so urgent". It is adequate for most users, but those looking for excitement will be disappointed. There is definite turbo lag, although it isn't too noticeable in the lower gears.

The Ciaz diesel is no scorcher, but most people will find its performance to be acceptable. This car is for those with a sedate driving style. Enthusiasts are likely to give the Ciaz a miss
I know that the 0-100 timings may not have been measured, but how much do you think this would be, by gut feel? Would it be sub 12 seconds, as supposedly claimed by Maruti in one of the ACI reviews? Personally, I think it would be more than 13.5 seconds.

Also, what would be a comfortable cruising speed, before this engine starts getting strained? Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2014 at 15:15. Reason: Typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks