Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 17:33   #991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
I am also not able to get it work with my Galaxy S5.
Car screen says Mirror link device connected, but only blank screen comes.
Did you try after downloading apps for mirror link like drive link and others
http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=...yz6_O_9Oi7BHEQ
Old 11th August 2015, 01:36   #992
BHPian

Re: SCOOP! Maruti Ciaz with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system coming up

I recently sat in a Ciaz of my friend. This was my first time.

Few things that I noticed:

1. The engine sounded strained when pushed.
2. Since the car is big, and the engine puny, the car did not feel smooth enough.

Its the same engine that is running on my Vista D90.

Vista D90 weighs at 1135 kgs vs Ciaz at 1105 kgs. Not much of a difference there. The difference is mileage will be evident due to the aerodynamic nature of the car.

VDi+ ~10lacs. Not worth the money. I would rather buy a City anytime. That's the primary reason Ciaz sales are down each month. They have already started discounts to the tune of 40k on Ciaz whereas the City has nil discounts.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 09:59   #993
BHPian

Re: SCOOP! Maruti Ciaz with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
VDi+ ~10lacs. Not worth the money. I would rather buy a City anytime. That's the primary reason Ciaz sales are down each month. They have already started discounts to the tune of 40k on Ciaz whereas the City has nil discounts.
gauravdgr8 - While your observation/reasoning on the dip in sales/discounts may be true it also could be due to the impending introduction of the hybrid Ciaz this month?
Old 11th August 2015, 11:32   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. Since the car is big, and the engine puny, the car did not feel smooth enough.

Its the same engine that is running on my Vista D90.

Vista D90 weighs at 1135 kgs vs Ciaz at 1105 kgs. Not much of a difference there. The difference is mileage will be evident due to the aerodynamic nature of the car.

Don't even compare the vista d90 with the Suzuki tuned 1.3ddis. The gearing is different, power delivery is very different. The same engine in zest feels dead and the FGT from swift offers better driveability than any Tata 1.3s. Ciaz is better to the city in nvh levels. I have extensively driven the city and it feels like travelling in a 6 lakh Tata, that engine sound. Power to weight ratio wise both city and ciaz are similar too. It has become a fashion to criticize the VGT 1.3DDIS. City is not a scorcher too. The linea has the same engine with horrible 1st and 2nd gear ratios.

I still remember people wanting to get "sporty" performance from the wannabe 90hp hatch "monsters" a la punto90 & D90

And now everyone jumps the bandwagon saying 90bhp is inadequate. We got no autobahns brother, this is India and you wont be able to drift and fly low even if you get yourselves a zonda!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th August 2015 at 12:00.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 15:22   #995
BHPian

Quote:

Absolute numbers mean absolutely nothing - the important number to consider when trying to assess if a car is "spritely" enough when "pushed" would be the torque/weight or NM/Ton.

Ciaz - 181/ton, City 172/ton. Technically the Ciaz would perform better then.

Even if you wanted to go by absolute bhp numbers Ciaz 81/ton, City 85/ton - you're talking about a 4 bhp difference.

If you prefer the City thats well and good (and many prefer the City) but the logic shared above seems flawed.
reihem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:47   #996
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

I am not sure why MSIL is bashed for using Swift/Dzire/Ritz Engine in Ciaz/S-cross/Ertiga, the most important point is, the heavier vehicles are given VGT to get more punch out of the same engine which is Frugal.

True that it cannot go beyond 130-140 but where do you get such road?

Even if there is such a highway, it is dangerous to do such a speed unless every single driver/pedestrian follows rules and gov does it bit to stop cattles roaming around. Instances of touching top speeds of 140+ can be counted in single digit for most of the vehicles life time. (Just for the sake of doing them). At that speed brain should have sharpness of a super computer to detect and avoid collision if something occurs.

For 99.99% of the population (including me), A car that can cruise at 100-120 without straining the engine is all what is needed. 1.3 MJD with VGT does offer that at mouth watering efficiency. What more is needed.

Surprisingly, There are too many such cases which didnt attract such criticism.
  1. Honda is not criticized for their 1.5 being used in almost all diesel versions (Amaze, Jazz, City, Mobilio) without VGT (same power output for a 6 Lakhs car Vs 14 Lakhs car).
  2. Renault/Nissan not criticized for using same 1.5 from Micra/Pulse to sunny/Scala, Terrano/Duster and even Fluence. (But they have mix of FGT and VGT)
  3. Toyota not criticized for using the same 1.4 engine in Liva, Etios, Altis! (Again FGT,FGT, VGT)
  4. Tatas, Fiats, VW, Skoda all do that same. Probably Hyundai is the only one who builds it up correctly.
So, Why nitpicking on Maruti? After all, they are inline with the Market! I am even okay if they plonk a 800's engine in Ciaz and it still manages the bhp/torque that is needed for the vehicle of that class. At least, that alone will not be the reason for me to reject the vehicle even if I am not choosing it.
sathya_g_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:02   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
I am not sure why MSIL is bashed for using Swift/Dzire/Ritz Engine in Ciaz/S-cross/Ertiga, the most important point is, the heavier vehicles are given VGT to get more punch out of the same engine which is Frugal.

True that it cannot go beyond 130-140 but where do you get such road?

Not true. Ciaz is perfectly capable of 50kmph more than that(indicated speed). Don't ask me how I know, I just happen to live by the expressway and my drive is 80% on expressways averaging 150km a day.
Major gripe in ciaz is its turbolag. Otherwise the car is as nimble and quick as other C segmenters. Not to forget 0-100 kmph comes at a quick 11.3 seconds!

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th August 2015 at 22:58. Reason: We do not allow posting about high speed runs on public roads, thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:10   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Not true. Ciaz is perfectly capable of 50kmph more than that(indicated speed). Don't ask me how I know, I just happen to live by the expressway and my drive is 80% on expressways averaging 150km a day.
Between the Linea, Ertiga and Ciaz, the Ciaz was easily the fastest when it came to top end. This has been checked several times on safer stretches and on straight lines, it would be too difficult to catch up with the Ciaz in the Linea or Ertiga. Of course, the Ertiga has a very good top end for its design and size too but then who wants to throw corners or do doughnuts in a MUV. It serves the purpose was an excellent and able highway cruiser under full load and luggage and easily glides at 110-120kmph all through the day without any strain.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th August 2015 at 23:00. Reason: quoted post has been edited, thanks
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:24   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Another fantastic thing about Ciaz is, at 120kmph, the engine is not strained at all that the engine is hardly audible in the cabin. That is a major plus! My parents were busy reading the newspaper when it was cruising at 120kmph, without them getting a hint of the speed, MID showing 22.7kmpl at that speeds if it was Safari, 120kmph would have felt like being seated in a turbine.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th August 2015 at 17:26.
Old 11th August 2015, 18:23   #1000
BHPian

Per cardekho ciaz hybrid is slotted for a launch post independence day. Price to be increased by 75-125k and sold via nexa. With news about introduction of vx (o) with dual air bags. Instinct tells me that it would be priced.
EDIT: http://m.cardekho.com/india-car-news...-day-16387.htm

Last edited by sathya_g_m : 11th August 2015 at 18:26.
Old 11th August 2015, 18:31   #1001
Distinguished - BHPian

Will normal Ciazes be out there at the original prices or hybrids(not really hybrid,mild-hybrid I would say) going to take over totally. I feel lucky to have bought the Zdi at 11.6lakhs excluding 25k exchange offer + 25k cash discount + 10k MGA pack. That is 11 lakhs OTR for this vfm car, after trading my Sumo Gold 2012 for 4.25 lakhs

At 75-100k more, Ciaz will be one costly car!!

My concern is, won't the servicing change between Ciaz and new hybrid ciaz? Will Maruti train mass SAs to identify each and service accordingly?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th August 2015 at 18:37.
Old 12th August 2015, 00:03   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Don't even compare the vista d90 with the Suzuki tuned 1.3ddis. The gearing is different, power delivery is very different. The same engine in zest feels dead and the FGT from swift offers better driveability than any Tata 1.3s. Ciaz is better to the city in nvh levels. I have extensively driven the city and it feels like travelling in a 6 lakh Tata, that engine sound. Power to weight ratio wise both city and ciaz are similar too. It has become a fashion to criticize the VGT 1.3DDIS. City is not a scorcher too. The linea has the same engine with horrible 1st and 2nd gear ratios.

I still remember people wanting to get "sporty" performance from the wannabe 90hp hatch "monsters" a la punto90 & D90

And now everyone jumps the bandwagon saying 90bhp is inadequate. We got no autobahns brother, this is India and you wont be able to drift and fly low even if you get yourselves a zonda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Absolute numbers mean absolutely nothing - the important number to consider when trying to assess if a car is "spritely" enough when "pushed" would be the torque/weight or NM/Ton.

Ciaz - 181/ton, City 172/ton. Technically the Ciaz would perform better then.

Even if you wanted to go by absolute bhp numbers Ciaz 81/ton, City 85/ton - you're talking about a 4 bhp difference.

If you prefer the City thats well and good (and many prefer the City) but the logic shared above seems flawed.
Noone's wanting to drift and fly, but and I still hold my point of City being a better bet.

If Maruti cared much, they would have launched the 1.6 DDiS on the Ciaz and slotted against the Honda. They try to flog a car with the same engine as usual. No news on the Ciaz hybrid till July and therefore this is no reason for its sales to be as low as 2099 vs Honda at 5k+.

Leave apart last month, Ciaz has only managed to outclass City in sales only for a couple of months post launch. After that it has not been able to hold its candle.

The D90 on Vista was only to show that Maruti does not innovate. They launced the DDiS way back in 2008 on the Swift. If they wanted they could have spent on R&D for their own engine, which they haven't apart from the 2 cylinder on the Celerio.

Hadn't that not been the case with Ciaz vs City, maruti would not have started doling out discounts, while some dealer do not even offer mats on the City.

And lastly, sorry if I hurt any Ciaz owners ego. Not against anyone.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 01:24   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Per cardekho ciaz hybrid is slotted for a launch post independence day. Price to be increased by 75-125k and sold via nexa. With news about introduction of vx (o) with dual air bags. Instinct tells me that it would be priced.
EDIT: http://m.cardekho.com/india-car-news...-day-16387.htm
The news is not true as cars have already reched the regular dealerships and have gone to R.T.O for passing. I have personally seen the base VXI trim in a stockyard. It has got a driver airbag and the power adjustable ORVM. No other major changes were present in the base model.

The major changes would only be the SHVS in diesel and the introduction of the v (o) trim with dual airbags.

Quote:

My concern is, won't the servicing change between Ciaz and new hybrid ciaz? Will Maruti train mass SAs to identify each and service accordingly?
I don't think service routines would change nor would the service cost go up. Only cost that would increase is when something from the new system gets spoilt. Otherwise the car is the same old ciaz with the 1.3 ddis, the system works with the engine to reduce its load to provide better efficiency.

I believe Maruti would not sell the normal models anymore as they would simply have too many variants to handle. If we see they currently have 8 variants with 2 engine and 2 transmission options, adding additional variants would only further increase costs and inventory.

Last edited by rockporiom : 12th August 2015 at 01:34.
Old 12th August 2015, 06:01   #1004
BHPian

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Noone's wanting to drift and fly, but and I still hold my point of City being a better bet.

No egos hurt ! If you were bashing a Ferrari that I had just bought with a Lambo's superiority maybe but not over a City and a Ciaz :-)

You might be totally correct about the City being a better bet, but the reason you seemed to be providing in your original post (that of power) was not very convincing; hence my response on the Ciaz outperforming the city on the torque front and the 4 bhp difference.

PS - There is a ZXi AT and a VX CVT in the family so no bias at play here.

Last edited by reihem : 12th August 2015 at 06:12.
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 06:35   #1005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If Maruti cared much, they would have launched the 1.6 DDiS on the Ciaz and slotted against the Honda. They try to flog a car with the same engine as usual. No news on the Ciaz hybrid till July and therefore this is no reason for its sales to be as low as 2099 vs Honda at 5k+.

Leave apart last month, Ciaz has only managed to outclass City in sales only for a couple of months post launch. After that it has not been able to hold its candle.

The D90 on Vista was only to show that Maruti does not innovate. They launced the DDiS way back in 2008 on the Swift. If they wanted they could have spent on R&D for their own engine, which they haven't apart from the 2 cylinder on the Celerio.

Hadn't that not been the case with Ciaz vs City, maruti would not have started doling out discounts, while some dealer do not even offer mats on the City.

No offense taken. Why has to ego come into play? Lol.

Honda city was a better bet, when esteem was there

It was a better bet, when baleno was there

It still was a better bet, when sx4 was there

But now!? Be it space, features, power, build, fuel economy, reliability, looks - Ciaz is equal or better at parts.
City excels over ciaz only in seat comfort and snob value. But 1 lakh premium over Ciaz? That doesn't make it a better bet for a middle class buyer like me.

How many ivtec owners liked the idtec? There are so many cases where they sold idtec within 3 months. Honda city is a great car, so is Ciaz.

Please don't put down a car for having the national engine. If you really want to consider performance and overall package, the German twins are the better bet. My family owns both city and Ciaz 2015 and we find them same. Sales wise Ciaz has taken a hit and so has city

If power was important., fiesta classic with puny 65hp engine wouldn't have become favourite. Suzuki hasn't been innovative? I doubt. They brought the most fuel efficient engines,first inhouse oil burner, AMT in mass market cars, and now SVHS.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 12th August 2015 at 06:50.

Most Viewed