Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 16:32   #781
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
- Yet to take it to 100+ kmph figures to judge its handling capabilities and responsiveness at higher speeds.
Congrats on the new car! Hope you aren't planning on doing this any time soon during the run in period!
Quote:
- The touchscreen Nav is difficult to use compared to android map applications. The MirrorLink feature is not available in most of the smartphones now to make use of android maps in the HU display.
Exactly. Its un-necessarily complicated. Do you have a list of phone that do support this? I have the same HTC one they use in the demo video and haven't had any luck in making it work!
Old 26th February 2015, 16:43   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post
What sound are you referring to Visaster? I hear a slight hissing sound when I go over road humps at average speed
Even If I drive slowly I cant hear, but even the slightest jump the suspensions or something is hitting something, its a loud enough metal sound "Ting".
Thats a good mileage even I used to get it when I was driving in single gear slow acceleration, lately I have changed to keep the car a little peppy and the mileage figures are gradually dropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
One of my colleagues picked up the ZDi last weekend and the team went out for lunch yesterday.
You are right, its no torque machine or a load puller. Its a slow smooth cruiser (awesome at it) and not for the heavy foot. If you want a car at lower price, good mileage and a loaded big car feel this is it, or else steer clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Took delivery of my Ciaz ZXI+ yesterday.

- The touchscreen Nav is difficult to use compared to android map applications. The MirrorLink feature is not available in most of the smartphones now to make use of android maps in the HU display.
Congrats on your new car. So the touchscreen is still not free from lag.
Maruti failed at it.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 16:51   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new car! Hope you aren't planning on doing this any time soon during the run in period!
Hopefully, though I am very tempted to do so

Quote:
Exactly. Its un-necessarily complicated. Do you have a list of phone that do support this? I have the same HTC one they use in the demo video and haven't had any luck in making it work!
Check this link:
https://cert.mirrorlink.com/ProductListing/
arunkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 16:53   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your new car. So the touchscreen is still not free from lag.
Maruti failed at it.
In my daily commute since a month, i have only had the lag/getting stuck problem once. Otherwise, its now smooth as butter. But there are two major problems:

1. Mirrorlink does not work (Or I am not able to get it to work). And you need mirror link mainly because of point 2.
2. The sat nav is just horrible. It is so difficult to find POIs from the list. And the map is a little dated. I went out of Bangalore using satnav once and it worked like a charm, but, to roam with in Bangalore, its utterly useless and you are better off using google maps on phone(Which could have been hooked up to HU and maps displayed on the unit if mirror link worked),
Old 26th February 2015, 17:43   #785
BHPian

Quote:
In my daily commute since a month, i have only had the lag/getting stuck problem once. Otherwise, its now smooth as butter. But there are two major problems:

1. Mirrorlink does not work (Or I am not able to get it to work). And you need mirror link mainly because of point 2.
2. The sat nav is just horrible. It is so difficult to find POIs from the list. And the map is a little dated. I went out of Bangalore using satnav once and it worked like a charm, but, to roam with in Bangalore, its utterly useless and you are better off using google maps on phone(Which could have been hooked up to HU and maps displayed on the unit if mirror link worked),
One workaround for that is to get the GPS co-ordinates of the POI from google maps and enter the latitude and longitude values to the the HU. But getting GPS co-ordinates from google maps is bit tricky. You can google it and find out.
Old 26th February 2015, 23:52   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Sadly, I've decided to move away from Maruti just for this one reason. Infact, I would have bought the Ertiga again if it came with a bigger engine because I really like MSIL's quality and service.

Ciaz, great car, great looks! It even gives the impression that a powerhouse is under that hood; sadly, it's only an impression.

When you're sitting in traffic, which is most of the time in an Indian city, the only things on your mind are being as comfortable and luxuriously pampered as you can afford and spending as little as possible running the car. The car's looks only matter when you're getting in and out of the car.

Power matters the least, which is why I believe Maruti believes so strongly in the MJD engine.

I'd love to own a sports car. Just not in India
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 00:23   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
When you're sitting in traffic, which is most of the time in an Indian city, the only things on your mind are being as comfortable and luxuriously pampered as you can afford and spending as little as possible running the car. The car's looks only matter when you're getting in and out of the car.

Power matters the least, which is why I believe Maruti believes so strongly in the MJD engine.

I quite didn't get what you're getting at but I really love the design of the Ciaz. It looks cool! Only wish it had an engine that matched its looks.

Yes, you're right, we spend most of the time in traffic. But that's the time don't you think you need a car that's torquey, with enough power to close gaps with lesser gear changes. In fact the power shortage is glaringly obvious in stop-go traffic in the Ertiga. To mask it, MSIL have given very short first and second gear and a tall third gear. In stop-go traffic, what you'll end up doing is give your left leg and hand a good workout!

I haven't driven the Ciaz so I cannot comment but the inherent limitations of this engine is well known based on its application - in this case the Ciaz.
Old 27th February 2015, 01:12   #788
BHPian

I'm saying that hedonistic marketing only goes so far in India. Power/ Torque specs and engine characteristics only matter when you have the ability to use them, which most of us don't in the bumper to bumper traffic hell that is our commute.

Most Ciaz owner's drivers will deal with the laggy response if any (I find the car quite adequate) while the owner will relax and smile all the way to the pump/ service station.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 01:43   #789
BHPian

Ciaz will definitely not light up tracks and highways, but, it definitely has more than enough torque to close gaps in Bangalore traffic... I mean, which car doesn't?! 😄

I feel the so called "Lack of power and acceleration" is being over-exaggerated. I'm still in my run in period and hence never cross 2500 rpm and yet it cruises like a dream between 90 kph and 100 kph. I understand enthusiasts feel the need to break legal speed limits sometimes, but, Ciaz is an excellent car designed for Indian roads keeping in mind the Indian traffic.

P.S. Not addressed at any one person in particular.

P.P.S. I'm biased 😁
Abhiram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 04:09   #790
Team-BHP Support

I love the Ciaz for it's look. Sleek and sexy IMO. I also feel the diesel engine is adequate for the car. Have been using the 90hp engine for almost 90k kms in my Punto and it never left me wanting. Ciaz is lighter and better tuned- so I am not apprehensive.

But would I buy it? Not till they come up with a better diesel engine. Why? Because I don't want to pay another 7-8L after exchanging my Punto just to get another vehicle with the same engine. I suppose at least a few Swift, Ritz, Ertiga, Punto, Vista (etc) owners might also relate to this feeling.

The 1.3 Multijet being a common engine - Maruti might lose out on this crowd upgrading from their diesel cars, although it will still strike a chord with first time diesel users in the segment. If they somehow plonk a 1.5 MJD on the top variants - that would make it really irresistible for the segment.
Old 27th February 2015, 06:06   #791
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But would I buy it? Not till they come up with a better diesel engine. Why? Because I don't want to pay another 7-8L after exchanging my Punto just to get another vehicle with the same engine. I suppose at least a few Swift, Ritz, Ertiga, Punto, Vista (etc) owners might also relate to this feeling.
I am totally with you on this.

Every other car that is getting launched which is being suspected of having a diesel heart will be having the 1.3L DDiS (Either 75PS or 90PS).

Its high time Maruti Suzuki does get rid of the 1.3L engine or restricts is use for smaller segment cars (mainly B-Segment) and gets 1.6L MJD for higher segment cars.

Many may fire me for saying that the 1.3L MJD (90PS) is inadequate but overall for customer it isn't good enough to be knowing that 7L Swift or 12L Ciaz bear the same engine underneath.

C'mon Maruti.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 08:41   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post

100% agree with you. Sometimes I just feel so happy sitting in a Corolla.

The other thing to mention with the Ciaz vs the VW Polo or Rapid or Vento is the diesel engine may have the grunt over the Ciaz and good low end torque but the VW/Skoda is sometimes a pain to drive in bumper to bumper to traffic. One is the clutch is much more heavier, so even if gearshifts are lesser they are more painful. Secondly the Vw/Skoda seems to be a bit jerky in traffic due to the sharp/heavy clutch. You need to really get that right in any VW/Skoda diesel I have driven from the Polo to the Jetta.

The MAruti's just don't have this behaviour. In traffic you literally just need the left leg. Release the clutch slowly and the car moves ahead in any gear. I find that more relaxed and easier.
Old 27th February 2015, 09:43   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
100% agree with you. Sometimes I just feel so happy sitting in a Corolla.

The other thing to mention with the Ciaz vs the VW Polo or Rapid or Vento is the diesel engine may have the grunt over the Ciaz and good low end torque but the VW/Skoda is sometimes a pain to drive in bumper to bumper to traffic. One is the clutch is much more heavier, so even if gearshifts are lesser they are more painful. Secondly the Vw/Skoda seems to be a bit jerky in traffic due to the sharp/heavy clutch. You need to really get that right in any VW/Skoda diesel I have driven from the Polo to the Jetta.

The MAruti's just don't have this behaviour. In traffic you literally just need the left leg. Release the clutch slowly and the car moves ahead in any gear. I find that more relaxed and easier.
There is no doubt that all Maruti cars are really easy to drive and easy to live with. Ciaz is a no non-sense car which serves the purpose quiet good. Not only the diesel, the petrol is also quiet fine, more so because Ciaz is a light car. Ask me, I drive a Swift k series non vvt and its a boon in city traffic, with same one leg drive, and it overtakes almost everything being light, nimble, it feels lively at all the speeds and keeps the driver comfortable at all the speeds. Its something that not many manufacturers have managed to achieve. This said, Ciaz is a premium offering from Maruti. Though they have managed excellent drivability from the same Multijet, while Fiat has messed up with poor gearing, I really believe Ciaz and Linea deserve better engines. In Swift's territory, Tata sells Zest with this very same VGT Multijet.
I ask Ciaz owners, if they could have a 1.5 Multijet hypothetically, say for 30k more, would they still go for the 1.3?
If I had got this car, I would totally go for a remap. From 90 hp, piwer goes up to 110 hp. Torque from 200 Nm to 240 Nm. Just think what it could do to your lovely rides friends.
Old 27th February 2015, 09:58   #794
Senior - BHPian

It's high time the manufacturers start giving multiple engine options in cars. Not just Petrol/Diesel but variety inside each fuel category. Hyundai did it with the Verna but the latest version has made choosing the variant difficult due to lack of options for the 1.4.

Let the 1.3 MJD be there for the mileage conscious and 1.5 for those who need the extra grunt. Let them choose the variant as required for their needs.

I seriously hope Maruti retain the 1.3 in Ciaz at a lesser price point even if they introduce a 1.5 later for this model.
Old 27th February 2015, 10:01   #795
Senior - BHPian

I took a back-to-back test drives of Vento, Etios and Ciaz.

Ciaz is an awesome package with ZXI+ costing 10.8 lakh on road in Mumbai. I also got a pretty good deal for Alto.

However, engine was a big letdown. It is just 100/200 cc less than competition but has very poor third gear. Most probably it has been tuned for fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks