Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 10:34   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

I am surprised that many members are claiming Honda to be more reliable that suzuki. Their 1.5L diesel hasn't been in the market long enough to be proven as reliable. Yes, without a doubt their petrol engines are extremely reliable, but I feel that majority of customers opt for diesel due to advantage in FE.

Please do have a look at this threadhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3552226
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 10:36   #227
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fiesta's got a engine spec similar to the DDiS and weighs more than the Ciaz. Even the Admins who reviewed the car have told that the chassis deserves a better engine. Suddenly once Maruti launches a car with similar specs, Maruti is criticized for it.

The common man cares about F.E, reliability, better A.S.S and then safety, all of which is offered in the Ciaz as it is in some of the competition's cars.

We shall wait for the market to announce its verdict. Enthusiasts can look at Vento or Rapid to satisfy their thirst for power/handling while the average joe laps up the all rounder in Ciaz

Last edited by SchumiFan : 9th October 2014 at 10:52.
SchumiFan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 10:59   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not sure if this is directly relevant to the Ciaz review but nevertheless thought of sharing. This could impact other manufacturers as well.
This is a good call. Very logical. It is indeed unethical to invite bookings without disclosing the price, specs and the car as a whole. What if one books a car based on rumors & news floating on the internet and when the price is revealed, it is out of the budget? Or the specs/ design are not upto his/her liking?
Old 9th October 2014, 11:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
Durability of Honda and Toyota are being questioned world wide. Look at JD Power reports. Do not go by performance of cars launched in an era where Toyota and Honda were pristine, pure engineering delights. Somehow, today both have become more Maruti like. I know that is so, for obvious reasonsp of sales volume. But, it hurts when people question Honda engineering and Honda quality ( Yes, Honda fanboys , accept it, Honda India and to some extent worldwide is no longer the brand it was)..
In the same market Suzuki isn't even selling cars anymore. Infact apart from India, Suzuki is a no entity around the world when it comes to cars.
Do you have any figures to back up your claims or is it how you feel because that irrelevant.
If you see the recalls, they have nothing to do with the reliability of cars per se, you will still see more high mileage Toyota's and Honda's running without issues than almost any other brand.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 14:07   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Ford Fiesta's got a engine spec similar to the DDiS and weighs more than the Ciaz. Even the Admins who reviewed the car have told that the chassis deserves a better engine. Suddenly once Maruti launches a car with similar specs, Maruti is criticized for it.

The common man cares about F.E, reliability, better A.S.S and then safety, all of which is offered in the Ciaz as it is in some of the competition's cars.

We shall wait for the market to announce its verdict. Enthusiasts can look at Vento or Rapid to satisfy their thirst for power/handling while the average joe laps up the all rounder in Ciaz
Fiesta could have gotten a more powerful mill, yes, but Fiesta is a driver's car, just like all the other Fords. If I am in the market, with driving dynamics of the Fiesta, I can always go for a simple remap and I got a car I love. With Ciaz, remapping will improve straight line acceleration, but lousy suspension and that boring steering limit the car's capabilities.

You are right, the common man will take the Ciaz and we people just won't, and that is what people here are complaining about. If manufacturers keep launching products which make good money for them, it is no good for me. I would still complain for not having more options in a price range that I could like.

The Zest has the very same engine in VGT guise, at 6.5L ex-shoroom, you get the XMS with ABS, airbags, a nice HK music system. That is what you call VFM. Ciaz, with same engine, if could get better suspension and steering, would have been much better a proposition at 9L.

The petrol on the Ciaz, the 1.4L K series is good itself, it won't disappoint you, but if you compare it with the City's iVTech or TSi from VW, it is better to give some 30-50 thousand more and get the City/Vento TSi.

What Ciaz is good at is space, fuel economy and yes, it will sell, making money for Maruti, but it won't make me happy.
itsashishsharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 15:25   #231
BHPian

Had a look at the ZDi ver. Looks very spacious, and is fit with all kinds of bells and whistles inside. Test drive awaited.. sometime next week. The guy at the showroom tried his best to get me to put down the booking amount. I'll have to wait for 3-4 months anyways for delivery; Might as well wait for a few more weeks if I do choose to go with the car after the TD.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:19   #232
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for an excellent 5* review and beautiful photographs, Aditya! I really appreciate all the effort that goes into bringing us these detailed new car reviews.

I have one small disappointment - and it is not with what is contained in the review, but what isn't. And that's the driving experience of the 1.4 litre petrol engine. I hope this is going to get added soon.

Coming to the Ciaz, it is a well-rounded car from Maruti Suzuki. While it may not excite those who are looking for outright performance and handling characteristics, the overall package does look good. The inclusion of very useful features like reverse camera, electro-chromic mirror, electrically retractable mirrors, rear A/C vents, Bluetooth functionality etc. is a welcome move from Maruti Suzuki.

The price seems okay to me, except for the ZDI(O) which has gone above the million rupee mark ex-showroom in Chennai, which pushes it into the higher lifetime road tax slab. The petrol seems to be better priced than the diesel, for sure. However, the petrol automatic is priced at an unrealistic premium over the manual, despite it only being a 4-speed torque converter.

The sales numbers of the Ciaz and its effect on its C2 segment competitors (especially the top dog i.e. City) shall be seen in the months to come.

Last edited by RSR : 9th October 2014 at 16:46.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 16:52   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Top variant diesel gets ZDi+ nomenclature:
As per the dealers the Z+ variants will only be available later during the year or early next year . The only difference between the Z(O) & Z+ will be the SmartPlay system.

This is confirmed by a small writeup in the official brochure:
Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 4232
Size:  49.3 KB

Last edited by neeld : 9th October 2014 at 16:55. Reason: Changed attachment
neeld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 16:54   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is the on-road price list for bangalore which I received from MASS. The price difference is huge when compared with the delhi pricing.The difference in ex showroom price itself is 40K for the top end diesel model

Note: In the below list, the Road tax/Registration fee values are interchanged by mistake.
I am little surprised to see the 40K increase compared to Delhi. That makes the gap between similar trim of Honda city that much gettable.

A friend of mine has booked City SV AT for 11.7L and If i compare that with VXI+ AT pricing, Its hardly 60K and any sane mind will choose Honda city with eyes closed.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:32   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
In the same market Suzuki isn't even selling cars anymore. Infact apart from India, Suzuki is a no entity around the world when it comes to cars.
Do you have any figures to back up your claims or is it how you feel because that irrelevant.
If you see the recalls, they have nothing to do with the reliability of cars per se, you will still see more high mileage Toyota's and Honda's running without issues than almost any other brand.
Check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rolocking.html .
Also there are numerous Octavia's and VW's that run for lacs of KM in Europe and India. The Ford Fiesta is know to be reliable as well.
We had our Optra running for about 80K without fuss. Where as our relative who bought Honda City at same ,ran much lesser KM, had multiple problems w.r.to Suspension AC. In current age it boils down to mostly how you treat your car,maintain your car and drive your car. In the same way our Ikon 1.6 ran 70K without any fuss but my relative's car wasn't lucky enough,thanks to rough handling. I am not being biased here, just my opinion based on ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Had a look at the ZDi ver. Looks very spacious, and is fit with all kinds of bells and whistles inside. Test drive awaited.. sometime next week. The guy at the showroom tried his best to get me to put down the booking amount. I'll have to wait for 3-4 months anyways for delivery; Might as well wait for a few more weeks if I do choose to go with the car after the TD.
If space is your concern look no further,ciaz is just perfect. It beats some of the D segments as well interm's of space. Ciaz looked to me like a perfect all rounder. But yes i would suggest you to have a proper test drive before buying one.

But again apart from space it doesnot do anything significantly different from competitions.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 17:53   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
That is too small a straw you are clutching on to. One bad Amaze does not make the whole Honda brand unreliable. The City has been a very reliable car, perhaps the most reliable one to be sold in India so far. I would be surprised if Ciaz is able to beat that.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:58   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

If space is your concern look no further,ciaz is just perfect. It beats some of the D segments as well interm's of space. Ciaz looked to me like a perfect all rounder. But yes i would suggest you to have a proper test drive before buying one.

But again apart from space it doesnot do anything significantly different from competitions.
True PrideRed.
After reading the review here, I just need to know how bad the rolling is, and how weak the engine is. It's primarily meant for wife's in-city use and then some long drives. I am really happy with my swift.
Old 9th October 2014, 18:01   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That is too small a straw you are clutching on to. One bad Amaze does not make the whole Honda brand unreliable. The City has been a very reliable car, perhaps the most reliable one to be sold so far. I would be surprised if Ciaz is able to beat that.
I didn't mean Hondas are getting unreliable. I just meant that even they are prone to failure as others. The ciaz is going to be as reliavle as City. I don't see a reason why it should not be unless there are some serious test failure commutes by Suzuki engineers.
Old 9th October 2014, 18:36   #239
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
But the engines and prices of the Ciaz are a let down. City has the better petrol engine. Diesels are evenly matched, but then the diesel days are numbered.
Agree with you on that one! Diesel engines are going to sell lesser and lesser.
Quote:
Also, I'd trust Honda reliability more than Maruti's perceived reliability.
Marutis are reliable. Period. Not that Honda's aren't reliable. But for most of us, both cars will perform well without any problem throughout the ownership period if maintained well.
Quote:
In safety features, the City wins hands down.
I think it's not judgement time yet. Ciaz hasn't been crash tested yet.
Quote:

Ciaz is gonna sell some in the first few months, then become a sales dud.
Ciaz will sell and sell well. But it won't dominate the sedan space like how MSIL dominates the hatch market. Reason: Honda city, VW Vento, Skoda Rapid and Hyundai Verna are good products that offer real VFM.

I surely think it'll do well.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 19:20   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The City has been a very reliable car, perhaps the most reliable one to be sold in India so far. I would be surprised if Ciaz is able to beat that.
I am sure Ciaz will be at par if history is taken into account. Maruti has made reliable cars from the word go and for me, after using several generations of Maruti Suzuki vehicles, they are at par with Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks