Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 17:22   #1756
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

I am seriously thinking about Ciaz Zxi+ AT. Can fellow experts provide some insights on automatic performance.

Looking at low power car and as mentioned in review (mid range performance of petrol is bad), i feel it would be bit risky to buy AT (especially on highways while overtaking I might mis-judge clearance and end up in mishap)

Car will be used by both me and my wife.

I also feel cruise control is sore miss by Maruti (I pity their value engineering approach to keep mfg cost at bay)

I personally would prefer AT + Cruise Control if I would be spending more than million for car. Also, ciaz does not have hill hold control.

Any comments/suggestions/insights are much appreciated
Old 31st August 2016, 22:12   #1757
BHPian

Guys, how do you find the headlight illumination of the ciaz?
I find it grossly inadequate for highway use with really poor throw. Got the same checked at the service center who focused them again claiming it be fully effective but it was just a flawed effort.
Had put in a mail to maruti as well regarding this who did not provide any positive feedback asking me to get it checked at the service center.
What all options can be explored to remedy the situation? Kindly advise.
Old 31st August 2016, 23:47   #1758

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKohl123 View Post
I am seriously thinking about Ciaz Zxi+ AT. Can fellow experts provide some insights on automatic performance.

Looking at low power car and as mentioned in review (mid range performance of petrol is bad), i feel it would be bit risky to buy AT (especially on highways while overtaking I might mis-judge clearance and end up in mishap)

I also feel cruise control is sore miss by Maruti (I pity their value engineering approach to keep mfg cost at bay) I personally would prefer AT + Cruise Control if I would be spending more than million for car.

Also, ciaz does not have hill hold control.

Any comments/suggestions/insights are much appreciated
Have been driving ZXi+ AT for the past ~4 months and have following comments to share:-

1. Low power - Have you test driven Ciaz AT yet? I have sedate driving style and am happy. It's got more than enough power for city drive and doesn't feel under-powered on highways too. And all this with 14kmpl city and 19kmpl highway mileage (I have received AFE 20.7 kmpl too!). A 1.5Ltr 6-speed AT Ciaz upgrade is rumoured to be in the works and targeted for 2017 in case you want to wait. Not sure though what the bigger engine will mean for fuel economy.

2. Highway overtaking - No sweat on Mumbai-Pune Expressway, Pune-Bangalore highway. Didn't have to shift to 2 or L so far for overtaking. Overtaking is always a calculated move whether you are driving MT or AT. Of course, for a last minute move to overtake in an AT, you may have to floor the pedal and you will get a grunt from the car for 1-1.5 secs before the transmission finally comes to term with your choice of speed. If this 1-1.5 secs delay matters much for your overtaking, think twice about AT. Frankly, I wouldn't advise such aggressive overtakes with even a MT. I actually think AT makes you a more disciplined driver.

3. Cruise Control - It's a convenience (and who doesn't want more features for the same price) but don't miss it too much since my 80% use case is city or city-highway driving where I won't get to use it. Instead, give me SHVS in petrol any day! I think City has cruise control + sunroof for ~1.2L extra. On a lighter note, having both the legs unoccupied would be so boring.

4. Hill Hold control - No such documented feature. But the vehicle doesn't rollback if you stop on incline . Brakes hold for approx 2-2.5 secs and then pull of the engine seamlessly takes over achieving near stand still and/or perfect stand still. This gives you enough time to roll forward or backwards. Note that depending on the incline gradient, the vehicle may actually crawl forward without hitting accelerator, so keep your foot on the brake in a bumper-to-bumper scenario.

To summarize - define your use case, reflect on your driving style and definitely take a test drive to get a feel of AT.

Last edited by ranjitjadhav : 31st August 2016 at 23:59.
ranjitjadhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 09:37   #1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitjadhav View Post
4. Hill Hold control - No such documented feature. But the vehicle doesn't rollback if you stop on incline . Brakes hold for approx 2-2.5 secs and then pull of the engine seamlessly takes over achieving near stand still and/or perfect stand still. This gives you enough time to roll forward or backwards. Note that depending on the incline gradient, the vehicle may actually crawl forward without hitting accelerator, so keep your foot on the brake in a bumper-to-bumper scenario.
Just a caveat: Stand still state I am referring to is subject to incline gradient. On gradual inclines the vehicle would decently hold and may even move ahead. On steeper inclines, the usual maneuvers i.e. hand brake + accelerator - apply at least in D mode. I should try what happens in 2 or L.
ranjitjadhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:28   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
An underage twowheeler rider rear ended my car at the same stop and the rear bumper got a dent at the same place. It happened when I slowed down on a speed breaker on a country side road which was almost empty. I never saw anything in my IVRM as it hid behind the boot! I think boot is too high. Now I check side mirrors before braking.
Even my car got rear ended by a two wheeler, At the same spot!
Old 1st September 2016, 15:54   #1761
Distinguished - BHPian

Ciaz august 2016 sales: 6214 units! I guess there is no stopping it until honda launches new city and Hyundai launches the new Verna.
Old 1st September 2016, 23:14   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Ciaz august 2016 sales: 6214 units!
I have a confession. I'm actually feeling little bit sad with these large sales figures. Being a Ciaz owner, I think we will lose exclusivity once there are so many Ciazes on road
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 23:26   #1763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I have a confession. I'm actually feeling little bit sad with these large sales figures. Being a Ciaz owner, I think we will lose exclusivity once there are so many Ciazes on road
True, last year, I used to have pics of my ciaz standing solo, taken at random spots. Now when I browse through my phone, I see my ciaz accompanied by another ciaz in the background at least in half a dozen pics. After my purchase, 4 of my friends/relatives have bought the Ciaz.

Btw, I dont mind though. Owning a popular car feels great. Great resale, easy availability of spares/after market accessories etc are some benefits.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st September 2016 at 23:27.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:23   #1764
BHPian

Ciaz ZXi+ AT vs City CVT Vx

Hey Ciaz owners,

I might be one of you in a month or two, but right now i am torn in a terrible conundrum of the head and the heart.

I right now drive the Sx4 Celebration Diesel 2012 model and my annual running has considerably gone down. Loved the mix of power, mileage and reliability on my Sx4 D.

Though, due to the lower running and ever increasing Delhi traffic menace, i am now decided on a Petrol AT sedan. The choices though have boiled down to Ciaz ZXi+ AT & City Vx CVT.

I can not term myself as a sedate driver and do indulge in those sudden acceleration & brakes (whatever the city traffic allows me ) My office travel timings are rather off-rush hours and hence do get some open stretches to stretch my Sx4's legs, and i would want a good powerful sedan on tap.

Usage pattern would be about 9-10K Kms p.a., with nearly 85-90% running within the city for daily office commutes. Have taken 2-3 test drives of both the City as well as the Ciaz.

The city obviously feels the better built & a premium sedan to own, however, Ciaz does not look like or feel like a dud either.

Apart from the nearly Rs. 2 Lakhs difference between the two, what should i be worried / contemplating about, considering that i do not term myself a sedate or a slowish driver, and i do love the feel and the adrenaline rush i get by being first off the Red Light (just to brake few 100 meters down the line)

For my highway runs, i am actually the opposite, i am in no hurry when on the highway and do not mind a few seconds delay in hitting the ton and have rarely crossed 120 mark while on the highway. I am always a safe driver on the highway.

Any pointers / help on the above aspects would be of immense help.

PS: I plan to keep the vehicle for a good long period of 9-10 years.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:39   #1765

Quote:
Ciaz august 2016 sales: 6214 units! I guess there is no stopping it until honda launches new city and Hyundai launches the new Verna.
And after they do that, Maruti will introduce SHVS in petrol which is rumoured to being tested in Baleno for 2017 launch.
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:48   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Hey Ciaz owners,
I might be one of you in a month or two, but right now i am torn in a terrible conundrum of the head and the heart.
Hey, you got a low maintainance Maruti diesel with a robust build and engineering. You can easily maintain it for another 2-3 years. It has depreciated faster than its going to now. Why to sell it?
If you don't see worse traffic conditions then why to sell such a good solid car for less money, even more so because it wasn't a hot selling model?
My take, get it remapped! Its a very mod friendly engine mate, and that too with variable geometry. 90hp is just too less for that wanna be pocket rocket of your.
I am not sure about what peak power you could expect, but keeping in mind engine's safety and long life, 110hp should be easily achievable, and may be 235Nm of torque. You have already used it for 4 years, you have nothing to lose.
On top, SX4 wasn't as good as a driver's car as the car it kind of replaced, the Baleno. And Ciaz is neither an SX4 to drive.
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:01   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ciaz ZXi+ AT vs City CVT Vx

Quote:
Hey Ciaz owners,

PS: I plan to keep the vehicle for a good long period of 9-10 years.

Thanks in advance

Go buy the Vento Tsi. Ciaz petrol AT is never going to appeal to your heart. Given your low usage, I would suggest Linea 125 Tjet if you aren't keen on automatics.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:26   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Hey, you got a low maintainance Maruti diesel with a robust build and engineering. You can easily maintain it for another 2-3 years. It has depreciated faster than its going to now. Why to sell it?
I do love my Sx4 without a doubt, but the low running simply doesn't justify me keeping and maintaining the Diesel vehicle. Moreover, the vehicle is now due for some major services and calls for for a good amount to be spent.

More importantly, the new car bug has bitten me now. There's no holding back when that happens

Quote:
Go buy the Vento Tsi. Ciaz petrol AT is never going to appeal to your heart. Given your low usage, I would suggest Linea 125 Tjet if you aren't keen on automatics.
Ahh, yea, the Vento TSI, what a gem of an engine that car has. Truly loved it to the core.

I'm not buying a manual car now, as the evening travel of mine i have to face a lot of traffic, and with greying hair, my knees are not really giving me blessings when i drive my manual car now. Also, i should have mentioned, wifey got a Wagon R AMT last year, and drove it around quite a bit a couple of months back, which is when i realized that my body just doesn't love the manuals anymore.

My dad is strictly against the VW group, and minced no words about it. One of his very close friends it seems has had a very bad experience with the VAG. My father was very very unhappy when i was about to book that car.

Result, car search had to restart :(, and leaving me with City CVT Vx or the Ciaz ZXi+ AT.

On that note, read some very interesting and rather humorous comments from bhpians on the City Review thread, comparing Ciaz to Xiaomi & City to Apple, which i feel is surely not true.
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:31   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
, comparing Ciaz to Xiaomi & City to Apple, which i feel is surely not true.
Humorous indeed. Be it plastic/metal material or other stuff related to build quality, Ciaz scores better than City any given day.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:33   #1770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

On that note, read some very interesting and rather humorous comments from bhpians on the City Review thread, comparing Ciaz to Xiaomi & City to Apple, which i feel is surely not true.
Haha! If the comparison was between Mercedes CLA and Ciaz, I would accept that analogy.

If you ask me, both ciaz and city are Lumia phones. Both are jack of all trades, both are spacious, both have great resale, both have same light build quality and both look good.

Given your final options, buy ciaz if you are very keen on fuel efficiency and OTR price, else city cvt is way better. And to add, both are NOT driver's cars.

There has also been quite a few niggles reported in the 4th gen city. But Ciaz has been proven reliable and it is quite VFM too.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd September 2016 at 17:34.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks