Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 16:08   #1036
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Both are same, but the ECM is auto dimming based on light sensor mounted on the IRVM unit when when senses glare darkens the glass which dims the light.

In the regular D/N mirror one will have to manually change modes.

ECM could cost around 5K whereas the D/N mirror would be 1000 maximum.
Serves same purpose. We can manually switch it on at night naa?
I am okay with that.
Old 9th September 2015, 16:38   #1037
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Serves same purpose. We can manually switch it on at night naa?
I am okay with that.
Lol. No harm.

Depends on individual preferences.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 02:48   #1038
BHPian

Guys, I need your views on this problem I am facing.

I find the ride quality of elite i20 abysmal, bone jarring and wobbly. This takes away a lot from the car that I paid almost 10 lacs for.

Do you guys feel the same? Is it because of the 16inch wheels? Is it just my car?

Please note that previously I owned a Ford Figo and also ride a new Maruti Swift occasionally.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 04:09   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Please note that previously I owned a Ford Figo and also ride a new Maruti Swift occasionally.
The car that you owned previously (Figo) and that you ride occasionally (Swift) have significantly better ride/handling balance than i20 and that is a compromise you have to make. All the reviews pointed this out and it is a well known fact that when it comes to ride/handling, Hyundai cars are not very impressive although they have improved a lot with newer gen cars.

The bone jarring/stiff ride could be due to low profile tyres (195/55) and the 16 inch wheels your car came with. Still some suggestions :

1. Make sure your tyres are not overinflated, those petrol bunk guys do not calibrate their machines so don't trust them. Buy a good digital gauge online and do not fill more than 31-32 PSI if roads around your area are bumpy/potholed.

2. If things still do not improve, you can consider giving away your beautiful 16inch alloys and go for 15 inch alloys with 195/60 R15 tyre size, make sure you go for some soft comfort oriented tyre like Michelin XM2 or 3ST. The extra sidewall with 195/60 R15 will give added cushioning and the ride would not be bone jarring, the car will still pitch/bob a bit over undulations as that is an inherent part with this car. There should not be any suspension issue with your car as it is still new and run very less.

3. Have a look at aftermarket suspension system like TEIN etc but most aftermarket suspension parts are handling oriented and will make the ride even more stiffer.

4. If you still do not like the ride balance, then make use of the good resale value and get some thing else which you feel drives better , there is no use in continuing with some thing which you dread every day.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 07:30   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Guys, I need your views on this problem I am facing.

I find the ride quality of elite i20 abysmal, bone jarring and wobbly. This takes away a lot from the car that I paid almost 10 lacs for.

Do you guys feel the same? Is it because of the 16inch wheels? Is it just my car?

By wobbly, you meant, the suspension is not stiff, right?
It depends on the speeds in which you are driving the car. I too used a swift before this car and I feel the i20 10X more "Comfortable" than her. Yes, for cornering at triple digit speeds and those highway rides at " insane" speeds, swift is more appropriate, but we drive like that only 10% of the time maximum. For the rest 90%, i20 rocks.

If you drive according to team-bhp guidelines, i20 is the best car which provides best "Comfort levels", even in undulated roads. Period
Old 10th September 2015, 13:48   #1041
BANNED

He once had an awkward moment just to know what it feels like
- From the most interesting man in the world.

2 months ago, one morning, one of the i20's we have had a punctured front tire. Its the 2014 Sports with mag wheels. I don't know the alphabets after that. Naturally I was pushed out of bed and asked to do the honors. To cut a long story short I got the 4 wheel nuts out and was about to slide the wheel out.

No movement at all. That is, it wouldn't come out of the wheel bolts.

I looked around and made sure nobody was watching and inspected the wheel. Perhaps it had 5 wheel nuts...? It didn't. I removed the central hub cap cover and checked if there was a locking pin perhaps...? No it didn't. I grabbed the wheel and tugged hard towards me. Nothing. I held 2 mag wheel spokes at opposite sides and tugged and even shook it side to side. Still nothing.

This was getting awkward. Any moment the drivers and others would be coming around. For a fleeting moment I thought of consulting the car manual. But better sense prevailed. Seriously, a manual, to change a wheel?

A quick prayer to the car gods and I gave the wheel one solid kick on one edge like I would do in our old Ambassador and it popped out immediately. Phew!
  1. Inspecting the mag - it has a close tolerance lip of sorts which slides into a corresponding unit on the car. Even putting the wheel back after repairing is a bit of a task. It has to be positioned in the exact position (I couldn't thing of another phrase) before it goes in fully and the wheel nuts be tightened.
  2. The second thing I noticed was that due to the mag wheel's design you cant tighten a wheel nut more than 1-2 turns with your fingers. The bolt wall is too tall (Blake would be pleased). So you need to use the wheel spanner from the beginning.
  3. Third, I noticed the spare wheel which was a normal pressed steel wheel was lighter than the mag. I always had the impression mags were lighter. Strange.

Last edited by hangover : 10th September 2015 at 13:51. Reason: added a heading
Old 10th September 2015, 14:40   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath92 View Post
Hello everyone.I have just booked an Elite I20 Asta(0)-Red Passion.Pretty excited.The AVN system looks really neat,but I felt the touch was not all that sensitive,especially while checking the map.But overall an amazing car with amazing features.Cant wait to get my hands on it.
Congratulations sharath92

It has been exactly 1 month since I took delivery of my Asta CRDI. Was munching air miles lately and hence couldn't update. Coming to the car and drive, it's lovely. The creature comforts do spoil you. I have done 5 adult loads in B2B traffic and this one pulls effortlessly. Great space and the silent cabin (it's a diesel) brings all smiles especially to my better half. It was a tough decision between Jazz & Elite i20 (petrol vs petrol) and between i20 sisters itself (petrol vs diesel) but hey, I was sold to this super refined diesel - The decision I do cherish!

Coming to ECM - Yes, it does works like charm and have been great utility in the city and highways with rear high beam traffic !
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20150806_110857.jpg  

Old 10th September 2015, 15:37   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

ECM could cost around 5K whereas the D/N mirror would be 1000 maximum.
ECM with integrated rear view display from hyundai costs 40k +.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:00   #1044
BHPian

I am currently finalizing my second car. And I cannot make up my mind !!!

I have short-listed Elite I20 Petrol/Diesel and Ford Figo Aspire.

If i choose Ford Figo Aspire, then it has to be 1.5 Diesel.

If i choose Elite I20, then i have to make a choice between Petrol/Diesel.

Though Diesel seems to be a better choice due to power and FE, the 1.3L premium seems to be on the higher side.

I would appreciate feedback from the Elite I20 Petrol owners whether the FE of 13.3 in city is correct and whether the existing power is good enough for regular city and occasional highway driving.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 10th September 2015 at 16:21.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:42   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Welcome to the debate. How much do you travel in a day? City driving or highway cruising? Maintenance and initial investment in diesel is significant. Also the green laws can hamper your cars value in the coming years.
Did you extensively TD both the vehicles? You will get the answers you need with not one but many good long TDs
Old 10th September 2015, 16:52   #1046
BHPian

Petrol
-> FE of 13.3 in City
-> Priced Right
-> Sedate Power
-> Cheaper Maintenance
-> Cheaper Extended Warranty

Diesel
-> FE of 18.4 in City
-> 1.3L Premium
-> Better Power
-> Expensive Maintenance
-> Expensive Extended Warranty

After a TD, i think everyone would prefer a Diesel over a Petrol. The question for most is whether the 1.3L premium is justified as it is a big amount.

Heart Says Diesel but Mind says Petrol considering that average run would not be more than 15000 kms per year.
Old 10th September 2015, 17:25   #1047
BHPian

Quote:

I have short-listed Elite I20 Petrol/Diesel and Ford Figo Aspire.

If i choose Ford Figo Aspire, then it has to be 1.5 Diesel.

If i choose Elite I20, then i have to make a choice between Petrol/Diesel.

Though Diesel seems to be a better choice due to power and FE, the 1.3L premium seems to be on the higher side.

I would appreciate feedback from the Elite I20 Petrol owners whether the FE of 13.3 in city is correct and whether the existing power is good enough for regular city and occasional highway driving.

Aha ! This is tricky.

I'll suggest you take longish back to back test drives of all the 3 vehicles. You should be in position to get the answer. It also depend on your nature of drive (highway/city). I was in similar confusion mode couple of months ago (no Aspire though but Jazz and i20 vtvt vs crdi) and finally chose Asta CRDI. I was sold to this mature & sorted ride, handling, super refined 1.4L Diesel Engine with an excellent 6 speed manual transmission.
anupams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 18:57   #1048
BHPian

Quote:

I would appreciate feedback from the Elite I20 Petrol owners whether the FE of 13.3 in city is correct
I own Petrol Asta. I drove 11K till now.
My FE details are:
City, 90-95% AC on: 11.5 kmpl (Hinjewadi, Pune. Bumper to Bumper traffic)
City and Highway Mix 50% AC on: 13.3 kmpl (Hinjewadi and Pune outskirts)
Highway, 90% AC on: 14.5 kmpl (State Highway, four lanes, Speed upto 90-95)

FE calculated using tankful to tankful method.
Petrol filled: Shell regular

Quote:
whether the existing power is good enough for regular city and occasional highway driving.
With five passengers on board and AC on, it does feel bit sluggish sometimes. And a downshift needs to be done while overtaking on highways.
Within city, I didn't find any problem regarding power.

The premium is huge between Petrol and Diesel models. But if price is not concern for you, I would definitely recommend you to go with CRDI.
carbhaari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 12:59   #1049
BHPian

Booked celebration edition. Delivery was supposed to be by Friday but now postponed to Wednesday due to delay in dispatch from factory. Below are pictures of my car in yard
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2065.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2066.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2067.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2068.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2069.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2070.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2072.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2073.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2074.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2075.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2076.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2077.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_2078.jpg  

mudhasir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 14:38   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Booked celebration edition. Delivery was supposed to be by Friday but now postponed to Wednesday due to delay in dispatch from factory. Below are pictures of my car in yard
Congrats on your new acquisition mudhasir. The special edition has sporty looks . I checked with my dealer regarding the waiting period for the special edition, but he was unsure about the details.

Anyhow I have booked Elite i20 Asta CRDi white. Waiting for the delivery some time next week.

Thanks to all the contributors, who made my analysis very simple. Without you guys I couldn't have booked the car, so easily.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th September 2015 at 12:16. Reason: acquisition, not accusation
Sirjee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks