Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 09:38   #1006
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

A question that has been on my mind for some time, Is the elite i20 equipped with an alarm, in case someone tries to open/breakin the car?
Hi,

Any idea on how much extra has to be paid to get the touch screen fitted?

Secondly any response to my earlier question

Regards
Shailesh
Old 29th August 2015, 11:07   #1007
BHPian

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...h-115ps/22951/

Finally. The N sport varient is revealed with 115ps raw power.
Old 29th August 2015, 13:11   #1008
BHPian

Just came back from the showroom where I had gone to check out the i20 with touchscreen , as people who have already seen it have mentioned there seem to be no obvious problems with the AVN , it looks good and feels high quality.

Also, Hyundai has replaced the older i20 antenna and its now shorter and similar to the one on the grand i10 . I am not sure if its only for the Asta (O) variant or it has been changed across all variants.

Please find below a photo of the new antenna. Apologies for the bad quality , it was just about to rain and my phone camera sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20150829_124507.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20150829_124459.jpg  

chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 13:41   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsam View Post
In their new brochure, Hyundai has chosen to hide the fact that the Asta (O) variant does not come with an auto-dimming ECM mirror.
I had the same doubt, but this forum clarified that the auto dimming feature is absent, however you do get a manual day night button. So the IRVM does give you the dimming option, but its manual. Hence isn't it an ECM unit? If anyone can get some more evidence to suggest this, please share. The SA assigned to me confidently assured me that Asta (O) comes with the day/night IRVM. However, rest assured, they will go to any lengths to make a sale. The fact that Hyundai is not presenting the facts in the brochure says another side of the story.

Also bear in mind, we end up paying ~22K extra for the touchscreen. Thats the only difference between Asta and Asta (O).

the site is still pretty much outdated. A few mistakes i found
1. When you zoom in on the touchscreen controls, the popup still hows the 2-DIN system.
2. Antenna still shown as the long one available on lower variants.
3. Mentions full auto air conditioning system & not climate control. Playing with words.
4. Only ABS, no EBD?

Last edited by AveekKumar : 29th August 2015 at 14:06.
Old 31st August 2015, 16:58   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
I had the same doubt, but this forum clarified that the auto dimming feature is absent, however you do get a manual day night button. So the IRVM does give you the dimming option, but its manual. Hence isn't it an ECM unit? If anyone can get some more evidence to suggest this, please share. The SA assigned to me confidently assured me that Asta (O) comes with the day/night IRVM. However, rest assured, they will go to any lengths to make a sale. The fact that Hyundai is not presenting the facts in the brochure says another side of the story.
An electrochromic (ECM) rear-view mirror is one which automatically varies the level of dimming based on ambient light and headlight glare of the vehicle following our car. This is accomplished by having two sensors - one in front and one behind the mirror. The two key differences between the ECM mirror and the manual day/night mirror are that the dimming is automatic and most importantly it varies based on amount of glare enhancing visibility. The manual day/night mirror only has two levels of dimming - low and high and cannot be varied based on ambient light and glare.

It is quite useful to have and is a convenience. I found a video on YouTube showing how it works: . Hope this helps.
spsam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 18:31   #1011
BHPian

Thank you spsam. This really cleared my doubts, however i will recheck with my SA whether the IRVM is ECR or not.

I am still in two minds over petrol or diesel. My daily commute is ~25kms per day, however i do enjoy a peppy ride. I know looking at my daily drive everyone will suggest i stick to a petrol, however its a classic case of a head over heart sort of argument. Also, i could not find a single Elite i20 petrol ownership review on Team-BHP. Surprising?
Old 31st August 2015, 20:21   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am still in two minds over petrol or diesel. My daily commute is ~25kms per day, however i do enjoy a peppy ride.
Hey AveekKumar my bro owns the I-gen I20 1.2 Sportz and I have driven this car quite a bit. AFAIK there has been minimal if not no mechanical changes between this and the Elite.

So here is my take:

- The 1.2 Kappa is a brilliant engine to drive but under the massive bulk of the I20 (I-gen/Elite), it gets bogged down. Don't get me wrong here and I don't mean its slow, its just that it will never cater to your primary need - "Some Pep" !!

- The same engine on I10 owned by my cousin, just changes everything. You will know why the engineers of the performance cars stress so much on reducing the weight and there by increasing 'The Power to Weight'.

- If you have decided on Elite as your next car, Personally I insist you to pick up the CRDI. Irrespective of the distance you travel everyday, cost of ownership, fuel price, etc. CRDi is refined, powerful, reliable, fuel efficient and by far way better than the Kappa, especially under the hood of Elite.

P.S - If you are very much a non-diesel person, why don't you consider the GT TSi or the more potent Punto Abarth T-jet? No Elite will excite you as much as these two, PERIOD !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 31st August 2015 at 20:23.
Old 31st August 2015, 20:33   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
P.S - If you are very much a non-diesel person, why don't you consider the GT TSi or the more potent Punto Abarth T-jet? No Elite will excite you as much as these two, PERIOD !!
Hey Vik0728, thanks for your inputs.
Regarding your statement above, i have 2 reasons for not going for these fantastic cars

1. Neither VW nor Fiat has a service center close to my place. Every niggle/issue/service will require an entire day off due to the commute. It's a personal opinion though. I prefer a workshop close to my place where i can go, drop the car and be back or proceed to work.

2. Fortunately/unfortunately, i am not the solo occupant of the car. Wife and family are always present. And they prefer the more sedate form of driving. Hence too much of pep will work against me. Hope you understand.
AveekKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:39   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
I skipped driving her in 1st and 2nd gear mostly. And always gear shifts are done in a neutral manner. Means, shift it before the turbo engages.
Thanks a lot! Using your advice i got a mileage of 14.8, from the previous 13.7 !!
The catch is to not push her on 1st and 2nd gears, and even slight taps on 3rd and 4th really makes her jump. Really enjoying the car now, and glad to be in this forum!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2015 at 13:54. Reason: Reduced Quoted post
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:15   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same doubt, but this forum clarified that the auto dimming feature is absent, however you do get a manual day night button. So the IRVM does give you the dimming option, but its manual. Hence isn't it an ECM unit? If anyone can get some more evidence to suggest this, please share. The SA assigned to me confidently assured me that Asta (O) comes with the day/night IRVM.
I own an Asta Dec 2014 VTVT model, it does have an ECM IRVM.
The official Hyundai website feature list mentions about a Rear View Camera Display. As the new Asta(O) has AVN, it shows the rear view on AVN unlike Asta which shows camera display on IRVM(ECM).
So, sales executive may have got confused and said it does not have ECM IRVM.
To explain it better I've attached the screen shot from the official website.
Because top end car not having an important feature which lower ends have, doesn't make sense.
Hope this helps. It would be good to check the Asta (O) in person and verify than relying on SA's words.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-elitei20_feature.png  

Old 2nd September 2015, 19:11   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post
IThe official Hyundai website feature list mentions about a Rear View Camera Display. As the new Asta(O) has AVN, it shows the rear view on AVN unlike Asta which shows camera display on IRVM(ECM).
So, sales executive may have got confused and said it does not have ECM IRVM.
Because top end car not having an important feature which lower ends have, doesn't make sense.
I think Hyundai website feature list only talks about the 'Rear View Camera Display' not the ECM specifically. Rear camera display on AVN doesn't mean ECM will be available unless its specifically mentioned in the feature list. Could be a marketing trick (convince/confuse) from Hyundai.

Please refer the below link for ECM /auto dimming mirrors

http://www.germid.cn/auto_dimming_re..._mirror_1.html
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:48   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I think Hyundai website feature list only talks about the 'Rear View Camera Display' not the ECM specifically. Rear camera display on AVN doesn't mean ECM will be available unless its specifically mentioned in the feature list. Could be a marketing trick (convince/confuse) from Hyundai.

Please refer the below link for ECM /auto dimming mirrors

http://www.germid.cn/auto_dimming_re..._mirror_1.html
I recently checked with a dealer in Bangalore where I made my booking for an Elite i20 Asta (O) variant. There is no ECM mirror for the Asta (O) variant but only a manual day-night mirror similar to the base variants. This was explicitly mentioned as a separate item in the old brochure of the Elite i20 but in the new one they have removed the comparison. I've include a section from the old brochure as a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-i20-brochure.jpg  

spsam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:58   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
I think Hyundai website feature list only talks about the 'Rear View Camera Display' not the ECM specifically.
Yes, the official website doesn't specify about ECM specifically. But as I own Elite i20 Asta model, I can confirm that it has auto dimming feature for IRVM.

Below is the link for ECM IRVM photo from official review(Same thread).
The sensor for auto dimming is clearly visible in the picture.
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/hyun...ite-i20-36.jpg

Quote:
Rear camera display on AVN doesn't mean ECM will be available unless its specifically mentioned in the feature list. Could be a marketing trick (convince/confuse) from Hyundai.
My point is If Asta has ECM IRVM, Asta(O) should also have the same. But yeah one would never know when Hyundais would silently drop any feature
the way they removed second 12v point.

Like I said it's always better to check the car in person to verify whether Asta(O) has ECM IRVM or not.
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:14   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post
My point is If Asta has ECM IRVM, Asta(O) should also have the same. But yeah one would never know when Hyundais would silently drop any feature
the way they removed second 12v point.

Like I said it's always better to check the car in person to verify whether Asta(O) has ECM IRVM or not.
My SA confirmed that the Asta(O) has manual IVRM, on asking why she said that the reverse camera display is on the AVN in Asta(O) and thus the ECM is not needed. I asked her was she sure and she sounded confident about it not being there and repeated the camera display logic.

I did not want to argue with her about the uses of the ECM and just let it be, but Hyundai should stop dropping features and increasing prices. It was the long feature list that got Hyundai were it is, no one buys a Hyundai for its drivability and handling.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2015 at 20:03. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:48   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
My SA confirmed that the Asta(O) has manual IVRM, on asking why she said that the reverse camera display is on the AVN in Asta(O) and thus the ECM is not needed. I asked her was she sure and she sounded confident about it not being there and repeated the camera display logic.
Well, that's really disappointing. Already they have dropped many features from old gen i20. And now ECM too. Why Hyundai why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
It was the long feature list that got Hyundai were it is, no one buys a Hyundai for its drivability and handling.
Yes, the petrol engine is no fun to drive. When driving with 5 people on board with AC running, it does feel sluggish.
I am not sure about CRDI engine, as I have not driven it. So when you don't have engine which is fun to drive, at least features list should please the customer. IMHO this approach may backfire Hyundai in long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks