Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 23:36   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post

1. The steering wheel feels more like a hydraulic steering wheel. I can feel every undulation on the road, be it of any kind, being sent towards my hands via the steering. Please note that it doesn't unnecessarily vibrate (like in they case of bad alignment or balancing). It's just that I feel that it's not the car but my hands are bearing the brunt of riding on Mumbai roads. Is this normal? You can feel the road too and does it tire your hands?
I find the i20 Ellite steering to have little more feedback than many other electronic steerings around. There is a strong tendency to align to the center position but it doesn't feel very precise. I haven't quite experienced what you have described.

Quote:

2. There is something wrong in the suspension assembly of my car I feel. The car wobbles left right front back passing the undulations inside. I am not talking about potholes etc. It's about every damn thing on the road is being felt by myself and the passengers inside the car. Is this normal? I even changed my tires to a new set of XM2s (195/55/r16). I have been reporting this particular issue to Hyundai dealership. They just check and say everything is fine. To me it isn't. I even did a trial of another elite i20. It's ride felt supple and comfortable. But, Hyundai guys just say that it's normal and they have checked suspension as per their official parameters. What to do?

i20 Ellite has a pathetic ride quality. It feels loose/softly sprung around corners but low speed ride is terrible with even minor shocks filtering through. Car has constant side ways wobbling even on reasonably flat roads. My brother's i10 has more mature suspension even for a tall boy design. I have even contemplated to switch to R14 rim (so that it gets fatter rubber)

Quote:

3. Foul smell in AC. Changed air filter. Got the whole AC cleaned. The smell persists. It especially comes in the mornings. Same smell as you'd have in your home/office because of fungus etc. You got any ideas? Will hyundai's level 3 AC servicing help?
Yes I do get bad smell and my family always complains about traveling in this car.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 00:26   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post

I checked the figures on 205/55 vs 205/50 and the difference in diameter is marginal as compared to stock. Besides could do with the additional side wall height
The 205/50R16 has less sidewall than 195/55R16 that has less sidewall than 205/55R16.

The 205/55R16 could touch the Wheel Wells when the Steering is turned fully left or right and also when the Shock Absorbers bottom out.

But this size gives maximum cushioning effect. Also it affects the cornering ability.

As for 205/50R16, due to less sidewall, this Tyre is more susceptible to Rim getting bent, and /or Tyre getting air bubble on getting hit on a pothole-ridden roads.

At the end choice is yours.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 11:59   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

The Overall Diameter for 195/55R16 comes to 620.9 mm and that for 205/55R16 comes to 611.4 mm. That is 4.75 mm less sidewall.
Also remember you have already faced one bent Alloy. Why do you want to take more risk by reducing sidewall?
Hey IndigoXLGrandDi, I suppose you meant 205/50 and not 205/55 because a 205/55 with have more sidewall thickness than 195/55. I had upgraded to this size and I could feel that the car was raised by couple of millimetres, I could feel the difference during egressing out of the car - when you put your foot down sitting in the car.

Quote:

1. The steering wheel feels more like a hydraulic steering wheel. I can feel every undulation on the road, be it of any kind, being sent towards my hands via the steering. Please note that it doesn't unnecessarily vibrate (like in they case of bad alignment or balancing). It's just that I feel that it's not the car but my hands are bearing the brunt of riding on Mumbai roads. Is this normal? You can feel the road too and does it tire your hands?
I used to love the i20 steering, its good and did not vibrate. This could be linked to your steering rack needing rehauling - you have also mentioned issues with your suspension so this could be one of the issues, recently got similar issue fixed in colleague's Polo. Also, Hyundai service centres more often than not are good only for regular service, not great at debugging issues like these, please checkout with a good FNG in your area.

Quote:

2. There is something wrong in the suspension assembly of my car I feel. The car wobbles left right front back passing the undulations inside. I am not talking about potholes etc. It's about every damn thing on the road is being felt by myself and the passengers inside the car. Is this normal? I even changed my tires to a new set of XM2s (195/55/r16). I have been reporting this particular issue to Hyundai dealership. They just check and say everything is fine. To me it isn't. I even did a trial of another elite i20. It's ride felt supple and comfortable. But, Hyundai guys just say that it's normal and they have checked suspension as per their official parameters. What to do?
I had a similar experience with my car and I went for a suspension overhaul for the rear and that had very pronounced changes - one of the carpool person asked me how come my car was so comfortable in comparison to theirs which was of the same make(this was immediately after the suspension fix). I think we had bought our cars in similar timeframe and given the state of roads in most of our cities, it would be good to check this.

Quote:

3. Foul smell in AC. Changed air filter. Got the whole AC cleaned. The smell persists. It especially comes in the mornings. Same smell as you'd have in your home/office because of fungus etc. You got any ideas? Will hyundai's level 3 AC servicing help?
This is literally everyone's complain with i20 A/C, but I feel even in my new Vento I get it sometimes. Please try out 3M's Foam based disinfectant it yields good results for couple of weeks at least. I get steam cleaning done every 3 months which helps too. Regarding you visiting the service centre - As far as I know all A/C related work is outsourced and they don't do it internally, so I guess you are better off getting it done outside with a expert who has worked in this area inside out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The 205/50R16 has less sidewall than 195/55R16 that has less sidewall than 205/55R16.

The 205/55R16 could touch the Wheel Wells when the Steering is turned fully left or right and also when the Shock Absorbers bottom out.

But this size gives maximum cushioning effect. Also it affects the cornering ability.
I had 205/55/R16 - P3ST on my car for 2.5 years before I sold it, during this period I drove 30k+ KMs. I can confirm not once did the 205/55 touch the wheel well. If you need reference I have posted a picture which compares 195/55 and 205/55 in a different tyre recommendation thread for i20, it also makes wheel well nicely filled-up. And yes, as you rightly pointed out the ride becomes better in terms of cushioning (which could be also attributed to tyre compound of Michelin P3ST), the downside however is slight loss of FE, acceleration and strain on the suspension.
Rahul_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:33   #2869
BHPian

Facing a strange issue with my car. Parked my car yesterday for a few minutes and then it refused to start. Waited a few minutes. In between called service center to send someone to check. Tried starting again and it started. Drove it straight to service center and car has been there since yesterday evening. Car is starting intermittently. When is starts, it starts multiple times in a row with no issues. When it doesn't start, I have to wait sometime for it to start

Diagnosis/Symptoms:
  1. Rat bites on injector wiring harness - this one was obvious. There may be more wiring damage.
  2. When the car doesn't start, the temperature sensor is blank and "engine has overheated" flashes briefly before starter motor rolls over, makes cranking noise, engine tries to start but dies before reaching idle RPM.
  3. When the car does start, temperatur sensor shows correct reading and temperature stays in normal range (5 bars out of 12) irrespective of how long car is driven. So it seems like everything mechanical is fine and as long as electricals co-operate it will keep going.
  4. Coming back to electricals, service center hasn't been able to find any other damaged wire so they don't know what is broken. They are using ECU error codes to find faulty electrical sub-system except that there aren't any error codes. I have asked them to first manually try to fix (sensor, wiring, fuse) temperature sensor issue and see if that completely fixes things.
Before service advisor gives up and suggests changing entire wiring harness, I wanted to check if anyone has any tips or ideas. Attached a pic of visible damage
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20200315_171400.jpg  

Last edited by needmorebhp : 16th March 2020 at 18:34. Reason: typo
Old 24th March 2020, 19:15   #2870

Hello everyone, In Petrol I20, as I read through the official review it is obvious that on revs >3000, engine noise is very obvious. I want to know if anyone has done anything to reduce it. I bought my petrol I20 last year and covered around 3500 odd km and though the sound is not very intruding but I feel irritated with that sound. any help is appreciated
Old 13th April 2020, 17:06   #2871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBNKA View Post
Hello everyone, In Petrol I20, as I read through the official review it is obvious that on revs >3000, engine noise is very obvious. I want to know if anyone has done anything to reduce it. I bought my petrol I20 last year and covered around 3500 odd km and though the sound is not very intruding but I feel irritated with that sound. any help is appreciated
You can try to get the underside of the hood dampened. Even though the engine noise in a petrol i20 is quite muted in itself, it'll surely silence it even further.

Off Topic, has anyone here tried to improve the performance of a stock i20 Petrol? The power is adequate in the city, but the car gets out of breath pretty soon on the highways. What works in a naturally aspirated engines; ECU remaps, performance filters and exhaust systems etc?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th August 2020 at 23:09. Reason: Removing extra space
Archie_27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 21:47   #2872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
I think there might be something wrong with your car, Elite i20s are infamous for having barely any steering feel. In fact, when I first got my car, I felt like I was using one of those videogame racing wheels in comparison to regular hydraulic power steering you find in most Marutis and Toyotas, complete with the way it springs back to dead center if you let go of the wheel.
Old 20th May 2020, 17:00   #2873

Hi there, to all fellow Automotive Enthusiasts & Experts !
In continuation to one of my previous posts, I need ur suggestions again.

I own an Elite i20, 2016 (Asta Diesel),which has done around 49,000 Kms and need your guidance on the below mentioned:

1) Tyre Change:
Want to change the tyres, as it currently has those Goodyear OEMs, which i've always felt a little noisy and don't offer adequate grip on highway speeds and especially during sudden braking.

2) Best Option for Synthetic Engine Oil.
During the last 2 annual services, I had used Shell Helix (HX7 5W-40). But for the sake of clarity can you please reconfirm the brand & the exact number cordinates for the best option available in the market?

3) Best Option for Improving the Headlight & Fog Light Ilumination.
Also, can one install the projector headlight from the Asta Optional model to Asta, without any major issues /challenges?

4) 50,000 Km Service
Any specific thing(s) to take care of, as my car will be going for its 50,000 Kms service very shortly.

Would really appreciate your help !

Stay Safe everyone!

Best Regards
Parag Dhiman

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th August 2020 at 23:09. Reason: Typos
Old 16th July 2020, 17:56   #2874
BHPian

My dad owns a 2018 Elite i20 CVT version. Yesterday when he took it out, he noticed that the steering when turning to right or left is making a noise (sort of like a not very loud trrrrr sound).

I did a 10 km drive and found the same - every time I am turning, it is making that noise and it doesnt go away until the steering is back in normal position. The car is just 5K kms driven, 1 month shy of 2 years old.

Any idea if this is the same steering issue that old i20 owners used to complain of? And any pointers on how to deal with this while giving it to SC?
Old 18th July 2020, 10:59   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

One year and 4,243 kms on the ODO - it was time for the 2nd Free Service.

Yep, the running is quite low but the Elite is mostly used by Dad plus it has been parked for the better part of March, April & May.

We felt that a visit to the service center is quite risky during these times, so I availed the pickup and drop facility through the Hyundai Care app. Date selected was for 16th July and time fixed for 10 AM. I had also ordered the official i20-branded PU seat covers for her earlier which had 4 days delay in reaching the Service Center.

The technicians arrived at 10 AM promptly. I listed out the jobs:

- Engine oil/oil filter to be changed,
- One of the horns had conked off - needed checking,
- Air Filter to be replaced,
- AC Filter to be checked - if needed, replace, else clean,
- Interiors to be thoroughly cleaned (Dad had driven the car with the windows open, so Elite's innards were very dusty and dirty),
- Seat covers to be installed.

Checked the wipers and they felt soft & elastic enough to last some more time, hence skipped changing them for now.

The Service Advisor, Akash, is a very cheerful and patient chap. He kept me updated all through the day to the progress made in the servicing. Both horns were replaced under warranty, and he suggested an interior cleaning package which would take care of the really bad (read "greasy") spots and stains inside. I told him to do it, since we wouldn't be visiting any outside shop for the same in the near future anyway.

Estimate given was for Rs 3,500/-, including an interior enrichment package.

Interior cleaning took 4 hours, as per Akash. Also, the seat covers were fitted by tying the knots - Akash said that they didn't have any good installers who could do bucket-fitting. I told him to just do the best they can, and I would get the bucket-fitting done from outside later.

Car was delivered back at 8 PM. Checked the Elite thoroughly yesterday morning before taking her out. Boys had done a good job, although they had left a few dry spots on the ORVM, IRVMs and the area below the front armrest. The seat covers were also done decently, although nowhere near a snug and tight fitting.

Total bill came to Rs 8,478/-, including the PU seat cover set which cost ~Rs 4,062/-.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20200718wa0002.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20200718wa0003.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-1.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th July 2020 at 11:26. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 23:56   #2876

Is there any way to disable the lock/unlock sound? I've elite i20 2019 magna+ variant and it only comes with a foldable key fob and not keyless entry
Old 26th August 2020, 20:31   #2877
BHPian

Hey guys! I recently had the 3rd periodic service done for my i20 vtvt (2018) from VTJ hyundai Angamaly, Kerala. The service was satisfactory and upto the expectations i had with Hyundai ASS.

Though quite later while scrolling through MID i noticed there was a service-interval reminder (both days & kms) on the bottom end of display. Since this particular information wasn't there before, i am clueless if it is some software patch done by service guys. Fellow bhpians please share your insights.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_7866.jpg  

Abby92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 22:34   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby92 View Post
Though quite later while scrolling through MID i noticed there was a service-interval reminder (both days & kms) on the bottom end of display.
Looks like the service guys forgot to reset the MID. You should be able to do it yourself - just search the internet, usually involves fiddling with the toggle stick and your ignition.
2cents is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:48   #2879
BHPian

I helped my cousin get an "Used" Red Elite i20, 2017 model for 5.4L. Vehicle is in great condition and service history is clean. Except hard-clutch there was no issue.

We have applied black wrap on roof and changed mats and installed Sun-films. Now the question about keeping the color intact, can you guys help me out? Do I go with so called Teflon coating? Is it really helpful in keeping the red color stands out?

My location is Coimbatore.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2020 at 17:00. Reason: Single liner merged with previous post
Old 10th September 2020, 13:21   #2880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Do I go with so called Teflon coating? Is it really helpful in keeping the red color stands out?
I don't think there is anything like Teflon Coating. It's more of a marketing term & I bet you got this offer from the ASS guys. With metallic colours, any detailing will make your car stand out. I would suggest getting it detailed from a professional detailer and get it ceramic coated if you want protection also. It will make a world of difference in the appearance of the car. If you can share your location forum members can suggest you a good detailing centre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks