Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 09:00   #1861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
Hey! The i20 is an excellent car. Comes loaded with all the bells and whistles you can think of.
I own the petrol asta. The fuel economy that I've been getting is in a range of 10-13 kmpl in city and on highway it can go upto 16. (Calculated tank to tank)

The car is very quiet to drive, isolation from outside noise is great.

If you are an avid driver then the 1.2L engine will feel a little underpowered to you. It lacks the oomph to it.
But if you're a casual driver and power figures aren't what you're looking for, then this is a very fun to drive car and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

As per the service and maintenance, my bill for the first service was some 2k odd and 2nd service it was 3k.
Seconding that feeling here too! It's a smooth and executive drive, the Elite. Haven't been able to take her on the highway yet, couldn't get enough holidays.
Small thing is the "thunk" when going over large humps even on slow speeds. I contacted the service station and they said it's natural (it was an avoidance strategy). When i write to Hyundai they said they'll respond back in 3 days but haven't heard of it yet.
Old 26th September 2016, 11:19   #1862
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
My problem is not with the ORVMs opening. They open just fine when approaching the car. The problem is with the driver side door not responding to the press of the black button and unlocking the car. As I mentioned in my post, this works mostly, but not always (especially when trying to show off the feature to someone )
Hey even I used to face this issue but never realized that it could be turning into a bigger issue. I too initially thought that I may not be close enough due to which this is happening.
Surprisingly last week the button stopped responding completely. I even held the key fob right next to the button but nothing. Then I recalled some one in the group mentioning that the button on his car had gone kaput. The same has happened with me also. The issue is Hyundai is ready to replace the part under warranty but they simply don't have the part any where. One SA went to the extent of telling me that the part is not even available in Chennai and it might be long before the part is available.
I am now using the remote to lock/unlock the car which is kind of irritating as I am so used to the button.
Old 26th September 2016, 12:35   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Guys, can anyone confirm the sound i20 makes when ABS kicks in?

I get a weird metal twanging noise(similar to a spring coil being struck) everytime I apply brakes over rubble/dirt/speed breakers.

Also is the ABS overly sensitive in i20?

My city never faces this issue.
Can anyone help with this?

Also one more query -

What does the boot release button in the asta O remote do? I keep it pressed near the boot, but nothing happens.
Old 26th September 2016, 12:59   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone help with this?

Also one more query -

What does the boot release button in the asta O remote do? I keep it pressed near the boot, but nothing happens.
It simply unlocks the boot. You still need to press the button on the lid to open it
udainxs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 14:42   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
It simply unlocks the boot. You still need to press the button on the lid to open it
So if I dont have key near me, I can unlock the boot from afar and someone else can press the button and open the boot.

Cause if I have the key in my pocket I can open the boot directly.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:30   #1866
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, can anyone confirm the sound i20 makes when ABS kicks in?

I get a weird metal twanging noise(similar to a spring coil being struck) everytime I apply brakes over rubble/dirt/speed breakers.

Also is the ABS overly sensitive in i20?
I have a previous generation i20, and the first time ABS kicked in under hard braking, I was also taken aback by the noise. It was a muted but "heavy" noise, something like dhakk, dhakk, dhakk - not easy to explain in words.

I was worried about the noise being something else, so took the car to a lonely stretch of road and performed hard braking (after checking for traffic) from decent speeds repeatedly. Sure enough, it was the noise generated when ABS kicked in.

Yes, the ABS calibration is on the sensitive side. It also depends on the tyres your car comes with.

Which variant do you have, and what tyres does the car come shod with?

Last edited by RSR : 26th September 2016 at 15:33.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:40   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I have a previous generation i20, and the first time ABS kicked in under hard braking, I was also taken aback by the noise. It was a muted but "heavy" noise, something like dhakk, dhakk, dhakk - not easy to explain in words.

I was worried about the noise being something else, so took the car to a lonely stretch of road and performed hard braking (after checking for traffic) from decent speeds repeatedly. Sure enough, it was the noise generated when ABS kicked in.

Yes, the ABS calibration is on the sensitive side. It also depends on the tyres your car comes with.

Which variant do you have, and what tyres does the car come shod with?
I have petrol Asta (O) 2016 edition with goodyear assurance tyres (195/55)

Thing is , I have another car with abs and the tak tak soundI am very familiar with.

However in this car whenver I am going over bumps/speed breaker/rubble/broken road with breaks on, there is a metal twanging noise like a spring/metal wires hitting the ground.

Is this sound familiar?

Everytime it sounds very weird.
Old 26th September 2016, 16:15   #1868
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However in this car whenver I am going over bumps/speed breaker/rubble/broken road with breaks on, there is a metal twanging noise like a spring/metal wires hitting the ground.

Is this sound familiar?
Nope. Not this metallic noise.

Other owners have reported a noise from the suspension, and replacement of the front bushes has made it disappear. I'm not sure if the noise you get is related to that.

Maybe someone who has got the bushes replaced would be able to identify the noise you experience under such conditions.

Last edited by RSR : 26th September 2016 at 16:18.
Old 26th September 2016, 16:37   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
I have petrol Asta (O) 2016 edition with goodyear assurance tyres (195/55)

Thing is , I have another car with abs and the tak tak soundI am very familiar with.

Is this sound familiar?

Everytime it sounds very weird.
I get this exact sound when i go down a slope and the steering is turned. Could hear it clearly on my office parking ramp. It sounds exactly like some small metal rod loosened off and is grating against the ground. It happens only two out of five times though, and not everywhere, so couldn't explain it to the service guys.
anoop_gkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 18:15   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
I get this exact sound when i go down a slope and the steering is turned. Could hear it clearly on my office parking ramp. It sounds exactly like some small metal rod loosened off and is grating against the ground. It happens only two out of five times though, and not everywhere, so couldn't explain it to the service guys.
That is the abs kicking in. The creaky trrrrr sound is the ABS in action. You could confirm it by recreating it on
1) Breaking on a sharp turn.
2) Breaking on loose gravel.
3) On the slopes or when approaching a speed breaker.

Make sure that the road is empty and there are no other safety hazards before attempting this though.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 20:55   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
That is the abs kicking in. The creaky trrrrr sound is the ABS in action. You could confirm it by recreating it on

Make sure that the road is empty and there are no other safety hazards before attempting this though.
Quote:

Yea, thought so much.

I'll go for my 2nd service in a couple of months and will also get my suspension bushes replaced.

Will demonstrate this to the SA then just to be sure.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 27th September 2016, 12:24   #1872
BHPian

1. Has anyone changed the stock bulbs to Osram NBU?

Any improvement?

My earlier Philips extreme plus blew in a few months in other car.

2. I have the Asta O with the projector lamps. Wanted to add a better bulb to it (55/60 only). Should I go for NBU?

3. What is the bulb size for the projector? ANy idea? H4? the manual is still not updated.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:08   #1873
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Never thought i was triggering the ABS. Will try this sometime.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:34   #1874

Quote:
1. Has anyone changed the stock bulbs to Osram NBU?

Any improvement?

My earlier Philips extreme plus blew in a few months in other car.

2. I have the Asta O with the projector lamps. Wanted to add a better bulb to it (55/60 only). Should I go for NBU?

3. What is the bulb size for the projector? ANy idea? H4? the manual is still not updated.

Osram NBU is a good bulb, actually in my vehicle it's H4 but not projector. The vision is very good. High beams you will really love it in highways . Stock bulb can't be compared with this one but life is very less. Don't forget to slide your light lever to off from auto.
Cheers.
balachandran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 14:17   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Yea, thought so much.

I'll go for my 2nd service in a couple of months and will also get my suspension bushes replaced.

Will demonstrate this to the SA then just to be sure.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Also check for any brake disc wear and tear. The brake disc on the right has developed a significantly deep groove due to
misalignment or something being stuck in it. Had it cleaned when getting the bushings changed.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Never thought i was triggering the ABS. Will try this sometime.

Glad it helps. The tyre pressure also is kinda sorta responsible in some way towards the sensitivity of the ABS. So make sure you're at the optimal pressure.

Also i just noticed my horrendous typo in the previous post. I hope it's already clear to everyone that i meant braking. Silly me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks