Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 17:57   #1846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Has anybody opened the door panels in the Asta version and can say what brand (and type ) of speakers are there.
The speakers are branded 'HMC', which I assume is Hyundai motor corporation. They are a pair of components without crossovers.

Last edited by manson : 24th September 2016 at 02:07. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 16th September 2016, 18:11   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
What I absolutely hate is the support offered by the seats(Or rather lack thereof).

I travel 70kms everyday in Delhi traffic and by the time I reach home at night my back and shoulders are sore.

Can anyone guide me what I can do to fix this?
At times our seating position many not be the most comfortable.
Try to place your wrist on top of steering wheel, and adjust your seat accordingly.

This IMHO is the perfect distance from steering wheel.
Also I don't keep my hands at the top of steering wheel in slow traffic, I prefer a low set steering wheel position, and hold the steering low in slow moving traffic with one hand.

Can try fitting one of those power knobs, which can come handy at slow speeds.
Old 16th September 2016, 18:17   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
At times our seating position many not be the most comfortable.
Try to place your wrist on top of steering wheel, and adjust your seat accordingly.

This IMHO is the perfect distance from steering wheel.
Also I don't keep my hands at the top of steering wheel in slow traffic, I prefer a low set steering wheel position, and hold the steering low in slow moving traffic with one hand.

Can try fitting one of those power knobs, which can come handy at slow speeds.
If it was only my back ache problem I would understand.

But even my wife sitting on the passenger seat complains of the same. She also has never complained of the same on any other car.
Old 21st September 2016, 18:15   #1849
BHPian

Friends - I am facing 2 major problems in my car since today morning.

1. Door sensor request button not responding - I remember some one faced the same problem a few pages back, unfortunately can't find the posts. Can some one please help me with the solution for this. I know it's been raining cats & dogs in Mumbai since last few days but then such a thing shouldn't happen in a car which cost a million rupees.

2. Thud noise from front left door - I have been hearing this noise for some time now but it was faint and now has become quite prominent. Was this thud experienced by those who got the suspension bushes changed?

Mumbai guys - Does any one get their car serviced by Modi Hyundai? What has your experience been? If not then which are the better service centers?

All & any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 21st September 2016, 23:18   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Friends - I am facing 2 major problems in my car since today morning
Door request sensor : had this issues. Entire door handle needs to be replaced. It took 45 days for me to receive the part a year back.

Left door sounds : has been having it for some time. Cannot pin point the source. Have to live with it for now. Would not recommend opening up the door pads, will lead to more sounds.
ps_abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 20:02   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Friends - I am facing 2 major problems in my car since today morning.

Mumbai guys - Does any one get their car serviced by Modi Hyundai? What has your experience been? If not then which are the better service centers?

All & any help will be highly appreciated.
Hey I think the whole door handle needs to be replaced,I don't really understand your second problem,a lot of people have complained of a tak tak noise from the suspension which can easily be solved by replacing the bush.

I just got my car serviced today at Shreenath Hyundai Govandi,the experience was nice they didn't try to sell any add ons like Engine Flush or Additives or anything,they just did what was specified in the manual.As I opted for synthetic oil the total bill came up to Rs.5450/-.

I had gotten my first service done at Modi Hyundai Vidyavihar the experience was pretty good there too but that service centre has closed down now. Modi Hyundai's Bhandup service centre is pathetic,please avoid that.

Also,for the door handle I'd advise you to go as soon as possible because I heard the SA saying that due to the Cauvery Issue in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka spare parts are coming in very late from the factory.

Lastly,Hyundai has a care clinic going on so there are discounts on labor and spare parts which may be helpful for your other problem.
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:21   #1852
BHPian

Chirag & Abhijith - Thanks for the heads-up. I am planning to take the car to Kunal Motors at Irla since they are the closest to my office. Has any one else taken their car there? Any good/bad/ugly experiences please do share.

I am a bit surprised that such a crucial part goes kaput within 1.5 years of ownership. At least we have an alternative in opening the car with a remote. What if the Start/Stop button goes kaput? Won't that be a much bigger issue?
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:32   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Chirag & Abhijith - Thanks for the heads-up. I am planning to take the car to Kunal Motors at Irla since they are the closest to my office. Has any one else taken their car there? Any good/bad/ugly experiences please do share.

I am a bit surprised that such a crucial part goes kaput within 1.5 years of ownership. At least we have an alternative in opening the car with a remote. What if the Start/Stop button goes kaput? Won't that be a much bigger issue?
I got an estimate of Rs. 25,000/- for a problem with my Santro 4 years back which was actually a case of bad petrol at Kunal Motors. Never went there again.

Plus, its more like a garage rather than a service station owned by the son of a local politician. Although your experience maybe different but I stay nearby and don't know anyone owning a Hyundai take their car there, have always seen old cars there not many bring their under warranty cars to Kunal motors.
chirag08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:10   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
I got an estimate of Rs. 25,000/- for a problem with my Santro 4 years back which was actually a case of bad petrol at Kunal Motors. Never went there again.
You are absolutely correct, even I got a bad feedback about Kunal. Also when I called them they informed me that they do not tend to warranty related cases. Smart way of avoiding customer service.
I spoke to both Shreenath and Modi - however the said part isn't available with either. Not surprising was that both gave me the same story that the part is no where available in Mumbai or even in Chennai.

I am now really worried as to how much time they will take to get the part. I have faced this problem with Tata Motors but they had always managed to get the parts for me within 2 - 3 days max. In this case they aren't even sure if its available in any other city!

What baffles me is that such a component failing at such an early stage of ownership and I am now questioning myself if I made the correct choice (one reason I dropped Ciaz in favour of Elite i20 was the fact that Hyundai was supposed to give better quality parts). Hope Hyundai doesn't let me down on this.
Old 23rd September 2016, 23:53   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi All,
Have recently brought home a new Elite i20 Asta (O) petrol. Have run around 2.5k in last two months and first servicing was done. But recently went for a longish trip and went thru lots of bad sections and wheels went over couple of ditches not so gently. And now I can hear some Kat-Kat sound from rear mostly and front too at times. The sounds appear when I go over a rough section. Most probably it's from the suspension setup. Sounds kinda similar to what Old Balenos used to make when going over rough patches. Is there any solution for this problem? How come within 2.5K kilometers itself the suspension started showing such issues? Or is this a common problem with i20? Eagerly waiting for your valuable input.
Regards,
Seems like the sound is only coming from the passenger side front suspension. Can someone please tell me if this is a common problem or should I get it checked immediately? Planning to take the car to service center tomorrow or sometime in the coming week. Would've been great if I could get some information from TBHPians.
Regards,
Old 25th September 2016, 00:54   #1856
BHPian

Guys, can anyone confirm the sound i20 makes when ABS kicks in?

I get a weird metal twanging noise(similar to a spring coil being struck) everytime I apply brakes over rubble/dirt/speed breakers.

Also is the ABS overly sensitive in i20?

My city never faces this issue.
Old 25th September 2016, 01:18   #1857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Seems like the sound is only coming from the passenger side front suspension. Can someone please tell me if this is a common problem or should I get it checked immediately?
I had a similar problem with my 2014 i20 elite sportz model back in Jan'16. The left side of the suspension started making sound and car went bonkers on potholes. I got it checked with Modi Hyundai in Jogeshwari and they changed the suspension damper. Was surprised that it went kaput with with 19k on the odo! The problem got solved though but I am very careful with bumps now.
Old 25th September 2016, 20:38   #1858
BHPian

Hello Elite i20 owners! I'm in the market for a Petrol Hatchback and I'm confused between the Elite i20/Jazz/Baleno. So I wanted to know how the 1.2 VTVT performs on the i20. How's the fuel economy in the city and highway conditions? I've never owned a Hyundai before so I would like to know about the reliability/ Maintenance costs as well. It would be great if you guys can help out
Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 21:37   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hello Elite i20 owners! I'm in the market for a Petrol Hatchback and I'm confused between the Elite i20/Jazz/Baleno.

Hey!

I have been driving a elite i20 sportz vtvt 2014 model with 31k on the odo as of now. I have also driven my friends Jazz in bangalore on weekends.

Here is my direct comparison:

Engine:

Compared to the engine on the new Jazz, the i20 has much superior pickup stability as lower rpm's. It much simpler to drive in city traffic (imagine bangalore traffic! ). The Jazz lacks power when it comes to pickup and you ll have to frequently shift gears. On the highway, again the i20 performs better with 114 kmph at 3000 rpm's. I have taken the car to 150+ only once in my 2 years of driving but it didn't feel like I was high speeding at all, the car was rock solid stable. (Driving at high speeds is not advisable). The Jazz at the other hand seemed to shake beyond 130 kmph mark.

I would give 8/10 to i20 and 6.5/10 to jazz.

Interiors:

The new Jazz comes with a GPS and touch screen audio control system which is classy! It's much better than my 2014 model i20 which has a rear view camera screen on the mirror. The new 2016 i20 comes with a touch screen though. The aesthetics are better in jazz compared to i20. I love the steering control but somehow the overall dashboard is clumsy in i20.

The leg space in i20 is best in class and the rear vents for the AC actually do a fantastic job to cool the car, at the same time provide enough leg room.

Also the false clutch on the i20 is a brilliant thing driving on the highways!

i20: 8/10
Jazz: 8.5/10

Exteriors:

The i20 has a larger chassis compared to the Jazz which makes it bit difficult to maneuver in the city. I would say, changing lanes is easier in jazz for city driving. Both cars come with a parking assist although the parking assist in jazz sucks in my opinion. Honda needs to reposition the location of camera, since currently the camera shows only the power portion of the road and I found it difficult to take a reverse gear inside apartment parking due to limited visibility on the Jazz. The i20 is much more muscular.

Milage:

My i20 vtvt gives me 13 kmpl in city and 15-16 kmpl plon the highways. My driving is 50-50 highway/city

Maintainance:

To my surprise, the i20 is a maintenance free car for the first 2 years. The only thing I replaced on my car is a suspension damper for left front side when I went through a deep pothole above 100 kmph on the nashik - Mumbai highway start of this year. But the part costed me only 1600 rs. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.

Honda typically is much more expensive to maintain. My friend has already spent more than 10000 bucks in first 4 months of purchase only on dents and paints (thanks to bangalore traffic).

The key to maintainance is to regularly service the car and drive safely. I have never driven the car with open windows (the AC has been on for all these 31k kms) and it's much easier to keep the car clean this way.

i20: 9/10
Jazz: 7.5/10

Braking:

I can't thank ABS any more for saving me on umpteen occasions on the highway, the Braking is nice on the i20 and on the Jazz as well.

i20: 8/10
Jazz: 9/10

I have not driven a Baleno yet, so can't comment much about it.

Eventually, it's an individuals choice when it comes to cars. I have shared my thoughts from what I have observed for past 2 years.

Hope this helps! Cheers.
saurabh89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 22:02   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hello Elite i20 owners! I'm in the market for a Petrol Hatchback and I'm confused between the Elite i20/Jazz/Baleno. So I wanted to know how the 1.2 VTVT performs on the i20. How's the fuel economy in the city and highway conditions? I've never owned a Hyundai before so I would like to know about the reliability/ Maintenance costs as well. It would be great if you guys can help out
Thanks
Hey! The i20 is an excellent car. Comes loaded with all the bells and whistles you can think of.
I own the petrol asta. The fuel economy that I've been getting is in a range of 10-13 kmpl in city and on highway it can go upto 16. (Calculated tank to tank)

The car is very quiet to drive, isolation from outside noise is great.

If you are an avid driver then the 1.2L engine will feel a little underpowered to you. It lacks the oomph to it.
But if you're a casual driver and power figures aren't what you're looking for, then this is a very fun to drive car and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

As per the service and maintenance, my bill for the first service was some 2k odd and 2nd service it was 3k.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks