Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 13:37   #1816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post

The service advisor suggested to tie few tobacco pouches/leaves in the engine bay without disturbing any tubes or cables. I searched a bit and found that this method did not help many. He also suggested to park the car in alternate directions everyday.

Can someone suggest any proven methods to keep the rats away? I am doing my research as well but I thought I'll ask you guys too. Thank you.
You could try placing naphthalene balls around your car. Although this is again something that may or may not work.
Alternatively try placing something oily like a chapati dipped in oil somewhere away from the. The rats will be attracted to it, but then again this will work temporarily.

You could try getting the rat glue mats. These sticky mats have worked best for me so far. It's a less gory way of capturing the rats. They get stuck in the glue and you can just throw the mat if and when they die.
It's a different problem if they manage to escape though, mats work best for small rats. For bigger ones you might need the spring loaded traps or the cage trap.

I've had a rat problem once and the mats and cage traps worked great for me. It's a time consuming task but a proven method.

Try to avoid poison though, if they die inside the car then that's another problem.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 14:22   #1817
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

A more simpler solution would be to pet few cats in your apartment . I suffered a lot when there was a pet dog in our house and he chased all the cats away. The rats enjoyed this time and chewed wires, plastic trims, and made home and gave birth in the spare tyre well and died in ac ducts. The damage and stink was unbearable. After opening the dashboard for ac and duct cleaning, the ac never worked well. Had to sell the car soon.

Now there is no pet dog and abundant cats around and they help in controlling the rats and keeping the car safe. Touchwood
Old 20th August 2016, 16:14   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
A more simpler solution would be to pet few cats in your apartment . I suffered a lot when there was a pet dog in our house and he chased all the cats away. The rats enjoyed this time and chewed wires, plastic trims, and made home and gave birth in the spare tyre well and died in ac ducts. The damage and stink was unbearable. After opening the dashboard for ac and duct cleaning, the ac never worked well. Had to sell the car soon.

Now there is no pet dog and abundant cats around and they help in controlling the rats and keeping the car safe. Touchwood
It kind of backfired on me, this approach. I had a cat in my house and it delivered a litter. As you'd expect, there were no rats around or in the car. Now the cat thought, out of all the places in and around the house, the engine bay would be the safest place to raise the kittens.

Every day, for almost a month i had to open the hood and pick out all the kittens hiding in the engine bay. Thankfully nothing was chewed or scratched. Had to be 10 times as careful when taking the car out.

Mouse traps for the win, just in case this happens
hakunabatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 21:48   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
My petrol Asta is just 9 months old. Thanks to the rat menace in our apartment, I had my first running repair completed last week.

Can someone suggest any proven methods to keep the rats away? I am doing my research as well but I thought I'll ask you guys too. Thank you.
Exact same thing happened to me, had to take the car on a flatbed to the trident service at Hosrur Road.

The rat had bitten into the fuel pipe, the breather pipe was chewn off totally, multiple wires were cut too.

The SA there was Syed Ashrafatullah, nice knowledgable guy, by next day evening the car was ready, as the fuel pipe was not available, they did a OBD scan and everything seemed ok.

The trident showroom is such a pain for the people living nearby, they block almost all the road for their vehicles coming in for service, the vehicles are all parked on the busy roads too.

When I collected the car, and took it for a test ride, everything seemed ok, problem is when they deliver the car, they do it on the busy service lane, with constant honking behind you, you have no choice but to move quick.

I checked the engine bay, when the SA pointed out, what was changed, and moved. When I reached home, I wass shocked to see 2 scratches on the front right and back left doors!! I know all the few scratches of my car, and which useless bike rider had done it :( But this was disappointing.

Went back to the SA, he said, please come back in a few days time, he will get it rubbed, as it is a minor one apparently!

I did not go back though, but the very next day, when I got in the back seat, I noticed that the seat is not fixed!! I lifted it up and seems there is cavity right at the moddle of the seat, one the body, which is covered by a plastic cap.
The whole thing was undone, it was not even properly fitted.

I was aghast at this abolsutely unprofessional service from trident, never ever am I going there again,I have always sticked to Advaith at ORR, but as this trident was the nearest, my vehicle was dropped there.

My cars 20k service is due soon, will go to Advaith only, never ever Trident!!!

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 10:52   #1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
Try to avoid poison though, if they die inside the car then that's another problem.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I did a surprise check around 3AM last night and to my horror, I found rat poop at the bottom of the engine bay again. I went berserk at that moment and placed rat cakes in the vicinity and one below the vehicle. No sign of any fatalities yet. I will continue to keep a watch on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
A more simpler solution would be to pet few cats in your apartment .
As much as I would agree with you, I cannot do this as the community doesn't allow stray pets inside the premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
My cars 20k service is due soon, will go to Advaith only, never ever Trident!!!
Small world! I live near Trident, Hosur Road as well and did my repairing with them. I was also left with a bad taste because of the following chain of events.
  1. SA said that they have ordered the fuel tubes from Chennai and it would take two days to arrive which was totally fine with me. I gave the vehicle on 05/08 and got the call back from SA on 12/08.
  2. I did my road test during delivery, all seemed fixed, so I cleared the payments and was about to head back home. When I started, the engine warning lit again! I went back to Trident and called up the SA but he had already occupied himself with another car, so I was made to wait for an hour.
  3. A mechanic came and did the OBD scan, I took a peek and it showed something like "Purge valve circuit open". SA and the mechanic fiddled in the engine bay and asked me to start again. The warning light was now no more. He tried to convince me that it must be some intermittent issue so it should not come up again plus there is nothing much to worry because it was just an orange light and not red.
  4. I didn't listen to him and started the car again and voila - we have the engine warning back! I told him to fix everything and also stressed that I ain't going to pay a penny more. He filled up a new form now (as the previous one was billed and issued gate pass) and hinted me that they have a long weekend (Aug 15) approaching so it might take a bit longer. I agreed as the quality of work done is more important to me and I can live without the car for few more days.
  5. Now the unthinkable happened. The SA went on leave for a week and I was not able to reach him at all. Calling up Trident was also in vain as the call was not picked at all (or) will end up in a standard message - "We will check and get back to you". There was no update, no SMS, no calls returned whatsoever.
  6. On 18/08, I called the service manager and escalated the issue. He apologized and promised me to update me by EOD. He called me around 7pm and confirmed that the vehicle is now ready. I asked for the root cause and he said that they found another rat bite. So basically, their first round of work (the week before) was shabbily done. Ultimately, my car was locked with them from 05/08 to 18/08.
I guess I will be going to Advaith for my 2nd free service.
Old 21st August 2016, 14:50   #1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketheerdha View Post
Jebs,

After a couple of weeks of K&N, I have now found a new place for the filer - in my boot. And here is why - I think you might find a difference if you reset the ECU and all that, but that is something I didn't do. What I experienced was a free breathing engine and a 10% increase in the Fuel economy. It is for the same driving pattern so I can confirm that I have experienced a proper breathing engine and a bump in FE. That being said, only in the city ride. Out on the highway, there was a lot of vibration and noise upon hitting the 85kmph mark and then the car struggled and growled (while vibrating) to reach and cross 100kmph. Reality hit me when my not-at-all-interested-in-cars better half asked me why my car was making so much of a noise. Being a super duper fan of K&N, I think my car just rejected it. I had the same drive again after replacing it to the stock air filter and I could not even feel a bit of vibration or growl hitting 120+ kmph. So, for what it is worth, (may be I did a partial install by not resetting the ECU) K&N is great with the growl and increased FE in the city. On the highway, it is just no where in comparison with the stock and not worth a penny.

Again, it is just my personal experience and I believe every car is different. But this is something I had to share.

Thanks and Regards,
saketheerdha.
Hey Saketheerdha.
Thanks for the update, my i20 is about a year old and was thinking about getting a K&N or Greens air filter. Given you had more time to use the car any updates on your experiences ??
Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:07   #1822
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a feeling that something is wrong with my car, got it checked at the ASS they say its ok, however I feel there is some problem with the suspension as it feels moving too much at low speeds. How is the suspension for your cars working, is the handling ok ?

Not sure what to do, suggestions welcome
Old 24th August 2016, 19:30   #1823
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai to introduce side & Curtain airbags on Elite i20 & i20 Active.

Hyundai Motor India will be introducing the Elite i20 and i20 Active with 6 airbags. The company plans to introduce side and curtain airbags on the top variant Asta Option to further increase safety levels.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 19:42   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is good, though it should have been there right from the outset. It was quite a sore point when Hyundai replaced the I-gen i20 with the Elite i20, and ended up downgrading from 6 to 2 airbags.

I wonder if Hyundai are going to use this as an opportunity to also squeeze in a price correction for the variant in question.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 19:47   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I hope they have some provision to retrofit these on the older Elites. It definitely was a disappointing when the Elite came out with just two airbags.

For a car that sells on the punchline "Uncompromise", that was a pretty huge compromise Hyundai made.
hakunabatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 21:24   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post
Guys,
My car is Asta Petrol Dec 2014 model. Request sensor on the right door handle stopped working. I have to unlock car using remote key only.
I suspect rain water being leaked in it.
Has anyone faced such a problem? Will it be covered in warranty, any thoughts?
Hopefully you have got this issue rectified (your post is more than 10days old), I faced the same problem and it was covered under warranty (Door handle was replaced within 1hour).

I would strongly recommend everyone to buy 3th,4th and 5th Year extended warranty (I paid 18k for it last week)

Last edited by IPathan : 25th August 2016 at 21:25.
Old 26th August 2016, 20:53   #1827
BHPian

Hello Experts,
I drive an Elite i20 Asta CRDi, and it has done about 23k on the odo... After about 19k, it has been feeling a bit heavier to accelerate and I can see some smoke as well (which I never saw before). Plus, the mileage has dropped drastically too - from around 19 kmpl to about 12-13 kmpl (City & Highway combined).

I got it checked at Advaith, Bangalore (ORR) - the hand-held system did not show any obvious issues.

I do a lot of cross-city between Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore (all possible combinations in this triangle )

Oil & Air filters were changed (I was hoping that, that would resolve the issue, but that obviously did not ) and are currently less than 3k kilometers old - they were changed as a part of the 3rd service.

Any advise / thoughts and recommendations are most welcome. Thanks !!
Old 30th August 2016, 11:51   #1828
Distinguished - BHPian

From the updated Elite i20 brochure.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-14102234_1288778594489756_1976684889650395780_n.jpg

Pic courtesy BHPian sidindica.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 18:13   #1829
BHPian

Anyone using a aftermarket stereo with their Elite i20?

I am looking to upgrade but want to be able to use the steering controls as well. Any suggestions?

Also, what size speakers can the doors accommodate without any cutting etc

Thanks!
Old 31st August 2016, 01:17   #1830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
...however I feel there is some problem with the suspension as it feels moving too much at low speeds. How is the suspension for your cars working, is the handling ok ?
Usually suspension job (overhauls) are required at 50K kms etc if you have decent roads. Have you checked the tyre pressure offlate? If it's over inflated, then the car will become bouncy. I don't think your car will have any other issue, how much has it done so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Anyone using a aftermarket stereo with their Elite i20?

I am looking to upgrade but want to be able to use the steering controls as well. Any suggestions?

Also, what size speakers can the doors accommodate without any cutting etc...
Now a days, a good installer will give you a component (forgot it's name) which will get the steering switches to work with aftermarket HUs. I have seen this being used by installers 5-6 years back. This piece is independent of the brand as I understand, so it works will (based on RFID if I am not wrong).

On the speaker front, the usual standard is a 6" or 6.5", no one cuts the door anymore. They use spacers if the speaker is a size bigger.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks