Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 19:09   #1726
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Anyone here with experience on a DIY oil change for the Diesel i20. Any particular brand you would recommend and where can I pick up the oil filter. Is this available only with Hyundai ASC?
Old 25th June 2016, 19:40   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please try & avoid the wheel alignment & rotation. They charge a bomb while you can get it done for cheap at the experts'.
I remember, some one had posted about getting his i20 alignment done outside, and after that his steering still was not proper, he had to go to the HASS, and they did some OBD thing and it got corrected, seems there is no way you can do the alignment from outside, do try and look up the post of the user, cannot remember the member who posted this.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 25th June 2016, 22:44   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I remember, some one had posted about getting his i20 alignment done outside, and after that his steering still was not proper, he had to go to the HASS, and they did some OBD thing and it got corrected, seems there is no way you can do the alignment from outside, do try and look up the post of the user, cannot remember the member who posted this.

Regards
Shailesh
I too had faced the same issue. Hyundai Service centres have some calibration tool which is very much different from what is being used by third party. And they work much accurately for the default specs. Also, not that costly.

Doing your balancing and wheel alignment outside can make you lose warranty for your suspension, boots, and other parts nearby the wheel. My friend experienced such an outcome personally.
Old 27th June 2016, 13:54   #1729
BHPian

Hi,

Can someone post the cost of repainting the rear bumper of an i20? I scraped the corner of mine, so looking to get it fixed

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2016, 14:51   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Hi,

Can someone post the cost of repainting the rear bumper of an i20? I scraped the corner of mine, so looking to get it fixed

Thanks!
Its very sad to see any sort of scratches on your car. I too had faced a similar situation. An errant biker rammed into the rear of my car whilst on phone. I was on my way home from the showroom when this happened. There was a big gash on the rear bumper within 10 minutes of taking delivery of the car.

The SVC had presented total bill of 5k rupees. Since it was repaired during the first service, the cost of servicing was included in this as well. Since then there have been many small scratches on the bumpers and body of the car (courtesy school kids running keys along bodyline, pedestrians scratching their bags etc..). The SVC Body shop had quoted an estimate of 5k for the bumpers as these were plastic. The svc rates are still on a higher side and it didn't feel wise in getting it done as it wasn't affecting the performance of the car.

You could alternatively try at local body shops. These will obviously be cheaper but the workmanship would depend on the shop.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 15:11   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
I was on my way home from the showroom when this happened. There was a big gash on the rear bumper within 10 minutes of taking delivery of the car.

Same story after i took delivery. Errant biker hit my car on the way back from the showroom, with 3km on the odo. Leaving that as a battle scar

In this case, the bumper has a few scratches from the brush with the wall. Thankfully no cut/breakage. Hope they can just touch up the corner and not paint the whole thing

Last edited by udainxs : 27th June 2016 at 15:13.
Old 27th June 2016, 22:57   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please try & avoid the wheel alignment & rotation. They charge a bomb while you can get it done for cheap at the experts'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
As far as I remember, there is one issue with getting wheel alignment done outside - someone had earlier mentioned in the thread that the newer i20 needs some kind of reset via software or ECU for EPS after the alignment is completed the usual way. Not sure on this, but if others can confirm it would be really helpful to all.
The steering has to be calibrated/ reset (depending on whom you speak to at the service centre) after the wheel alignment. I guess this is to do with the pseudo auto-centering of the wheel which is again shown in the display whilst starting with a turned wheel.

They connect a GSCAN to the OBD port and sets the wheel calibration. Pretty simple stuff, but is not the case in my experience.

I had got the wheel alignment, balancing & rotation done at the 30K service. Had to go back thrice to get the "pulling-to-left" rectified. No success yet. Since the 40K service is almost due, have decided to live with the problem for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hi, any update on this particular issue that we are facing?
No updates really, but then I have made slight changes to the way I drive the i20 to counter the perception.

The routine is, in any gear, take the rpm above 2200 and then up shift. Again I space the shift with almost a second (e.g.: 2 to N, one-thousand-one, 3; the "1001" count is to create a second and during this time the clutch is depressed). Also I give only a slight throttle for the first few seconds after the upshift. This has done the trick for me so far to remove that perception of a turbo-lag. While in a hurry, the only way I have seen is to work the rpm counter (at the cost of fuel efficiency) and then space the shift with half a second.

Last edited by vinjosep : 27th June 2016 at 23:00.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 22:00   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Is it really mandatory to get the Steering Calibrated/Reset after carrying out Wheel Alignment?

I have not got the Wheel Alignment done till date post buying the car. The odometer reading is 43000+kms.

Please guide me over this.
Old 28th June 2016, 22:47   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is it really mandatory to get the Steering Calibrated/Reset after carrying out Wheel Alignment?

I have not got the Wheel Alignment done till date post buying the car. The odometer reading is 43000+kms.

Please guide me over this.
Wheel alignment and rotation should be done on a regular basis to ensure good tyre life. More importantly, it turns into a safety risk if the wheels are not aligned. Uneven tyre wear due to poor alignment can lead to tyre bursts or frequent punctures.

It's best to carry out the alignment every 10000 kms just to ensure your safety.

As far as steering calibration is concerned, since the i20 has a steering position sensor, i might need reseting after alignment as the previous values in the memory won't hold true for the new alignment. As a result it might give false warning/info for the steering position.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 08:18   #1735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is it really mandatory to get the Steering Calibrated/Reset after carrying out Wheel Alignment? I have not got the Wheel Alignment done till date post buying the car. The odometer reading is 43000+kms.
You mean to say you haven't got the calibration done post alignment or you haven't done alignment at all for 43,000+ kms? If its the latter then I'm surprised and shocked.. any car, even delicately driven ones like mine need an alignment every 7-8k kms though I get it done within 5k. Somehow the feeling post alignment for me is that the steering is precise and helps the vehicle move absolutely straight when steering is at centre position, even if the difference was a fraction percent off prior to alignment.

I'd recommend alignment + balancing every 6-7k km if the driving style is smooth, and tyre rotation every 10-12k km for optimum life of tyres. I'll be surprised if the tyres can make it for much longer if indeed the alignment wasn't done till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
As far as steering calibration is concerned, since the i20 has a steering position sensor, i might need reseting after alignment as the previous values in the memory won't hold true for the new alignment. As a result it might give false warning/info for the steering position.
In my view it was a nonsensical feature to begin with and because of it comes more nonsensical errands to be done for what would otherwise be a simple mechanical job. The best car for me is the one that is easiest to access, survey and repair without need of electrical/software assists. This is the reason that German cars are known as mercurial mistresses, because before you touch them mechanically, you need an OBD tool on hand before and after to analyse/reset the software otherwise the problem is as good as not solved. Hyundai is jumping into the same space now, why would I want the car to tell me which side the steering is tilting towards? Its my job to know that. I love Hyundai for its models like Getz which I own and others like Santro too, primarily due to their reliability and ease of repair but the company is doing everything to put a stop to that.

Why not give auto-locking for doors when ignition is pressed like their good old models? Why not give a comprehensive information display system like mileage, DTE, service interval etc instead of useless information like how to turn the wheels and when to change the gears? Some of their moves puzzle me.

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th June 2016 at 08:25.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 21:21   #1736
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Hyundai is jumping into the same space now, why would I want the car to tell me which side the steering is tilting towards?
I think the wheel position sensor is a vestigial feature on Hyundai cars like the new i20.

The wheel position display by itself doesn't perform any useful function, and I believe it's there only as a vestigial part of the very useful "Lane Departure Warning" safety feature for advanced markets.

So why is it not there on the lower variants? I guess it's because the top variant's instrument cluster includes it. Instead of providing a "Lane Departure Warning" or "Lane Keep Assist" for the Indian i20 (which includes additional expensive components, and whose utility is rather questionable for India), they turned it into a very gimmicky (& rather useless) front wheel position indicator.

Quote:
Why not give auto-locking for doors when ignition is pressed like their good old models? Why not give a comprehensive information display system like mileage, DTE, service interval etc instead of useless information like how to turn the wheels and when to change the gears? Some of their moves puzzle me.
I think the service interval indicator is present on the top variants.

As for the FE & DTE indicators, I believe it is a very deliberate and conscious decision by Hyundai to leave those out. The reason is probably because Hyundai does not want to get into the mad FE race (a race in which it does not stand much chance of winning against the master weight reductionist rivals from Japan, at least for petrol motors). So they want to wean Hyundai owners away from the idea of being obsessed with FE above everything else. For those who still want to extract the most out of every drop, they provide the rather idiotic gear shift indicator (which is configured for extracting the best FE).

I completely agree with you on the auto-locking doors, which they most stupidly provide only on the topmost variant of their cars that come equipped with 6 airbags (Verna, Creta, Elantra, previous gen. i20 etc.) Extremely idiotic!

Last edited by RSR : 29th June 2016 at 21:29.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:22   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The wheel position display by itself doesn't perform any useful function, .... a very gimmicky (& rather useless) front wheel position indicator.
I disagree with this point slightly. There were many instances when I wished I had a way of knowing wheel position. Mostly after parking in a tight spot which involved several left and right turns.
Not having this feature is not going to make things difficult, but having this doesn't hurt and comes handy in some .

A significant percentage members in this forum still believe that push start button & keyless entry are just gimmicks. I was also like that. But, after using these for 6 months in my Ciaz, I find these to be useful, especially keyless entry is incredibly useful. I guess I'm going off topic
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:06   #1738
BHPian

My i20 active is due for 1st service. Any recommendations for best service outlet in Delhi (South-West/Gurgaon)?
Old 3rd July 2016, 21:14   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
My i20 active is due for 1st service. Any recommendations for best service outlet in Delhi (South-West/Gurgaon)?
Not much in first service. Nothing gets changed. You should get a zero bill for this service.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 01:11   #1740
BHPian

My car has suddenly started making a weird thumping/rumbling noise since yesterday. I had just came back from a highway trip and parked the car out in open. The following day the car started making a thumping/thudding noise when driven over undulations. Noise is not heard on level roads. Noise appears to be coming from front suspension and i believe it's the suspension bushings again. There's no puncture or damage to the tyre or alloys so i think tyres are not the culprit here. The odo reads 13.5k. I'm taking the car to svc tomorrow. Would like to know if anyone else has faced the same issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks