Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 22:04   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
Is it just a firmware upgrade with the same hardware or will they change the complete Head Unit? If it is just a firmware upgrade, I don't mind trying. Else, I'll stay with the stock unit for a couple of years at least and then decide if a change is needed.
In my case I changed the head unit too with a 10 inch screen. But I think the car play update can be done on the stock unit too, infact I have seen couple of Audi’s and Merc with stock unit update.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:16   #257
BHPian

Quote:
I made the exact same switch so know how it feels. The thud of a European car door closing is very reassuring. The City has become my Dad's daily driver and the Laura we had in Mumbai after its overhaul will be used by the driver to ferry around the family as it is with manual transmission.
If you don't mind, what's the deal with the Skoda Laura being driven to B'lore for an overhaul? Is there a workshop that is especially good in the city?
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:20   #258
BHPian

Quote:

Is it just a firmware upgrade with the same hardware or will they change the complete Head Unit? If it is just a firmware upgrade, I don't mind trying. Else, I'll stay with the stock unit for a couple of years at least and then decide if a change is needed.
To use it on the stock Head unit you will have to install a device by opening the current MMI and installing it behind it. Depending on your car you can get plug n play harness without any soldering required for 20 to 25k. The usb cable to connect the phone for CarPlay will have to pop out from the dashboard or below the head unit and it’s not a very neat solution. In order to make it compatible with the original USB ports of the car further changes to those will be required as well.

Another way to do it is to replace the head unit with android based units as well but both the methods required to open the whole dashboard and removal of MMI.
prateekchanana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:04   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss212 View Post
If you don't mind, what's the deal with the Skoda Laura being driven to B'lore for an overhaul? Is there a workshop that is especially good in the city?
Don't mind the question at all. It's just that I was introduced to someone who is very passionate and knowledgeable about cars and runs a garage here in Bengaluru. He works on cars for his family and friends and some references. I got some work done on our Honda City and was very pleased with the work as well as the charges.

They basically source parts (mechanical parts anyway) directly from OEMs which makes scheduled replacements for wear and tear parts rather inexpensive especially on European cars. Given that the Laura was not really being used in Mumbai for months and we weren't offered a great price when we looked to sell it, it somehow made more sense to bring it down here, get a complete overhaul and use it for a few more years.

Since we were all already in Bengaluru, it made more sense to get it repaired here from someone we trust. It helped that one of our office colleagues drove down the car to Kerala with his family and on the way back we asked him to drop it here and fly back to Mumbai. There is a separate thread on owning and maintaining a Laura on which I will update the complete overhaul process incl. parts replaced and work done.
anandavinash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:45   #260
BHPian

Re: Buying a pre-owned Audi A3 35 TDI (2017 Model)

Quote:
this became a case of heart trumping the head. 10 days later, my wife and I picked up the car and drove it over to my parents' house who had no clue that I'd decided to buy this car.
Congrats on your new car. It's a brilliant package and dynamically very sorted. Wishing you many kms of fun filled and safe drives.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:09   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Don't mind the question at all. It's just that I was introduced to someone who is very passionate and knowledgeable about cars and runs a garage here in Bengaluru. He works on cars for his family and friends and some references. I got some work done on our Honda City and was very pleased with the work as well as the charges.
That's wonderful! I'll keep an eye out for posts by you. I might end up picking a used Octavia sometime. I will ping you for contacts to this garage if I succeed with the car.
ss212 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 08:04   #262
BHPian

Quote:

Audi offered a lower price than they last quoted if I was willing to surrender the 2 years unlimited km warranty. Armed with all my readings from Team-BHP, I knew this was not negotiable.
Congrats on your new ride , it definitely looks in perfect shape. Regarding the warranty, do they cover everything in the warranty? Main areas of concern like the gearbox, engine and suspension are they covered?

I am also looking for a used A3 from Audi approved plus post 1.5 GT Taigun prices are released on 23rd September. Your response and post buying experience would be helpful for me to finalise. Thank you .
Old 6th September 2021, 10:15   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Congrats on your new ride , it definitely looks in perfect shape. Regarding the warranty, do they cover everything in the warranty? Main areas of concern like the gearbox, engine and suspension are they covered?

I am also looking for a used A3 from Audi approved plus post 1.5 GT Taigun prices are released on 23rd September. Your response and post buying experience would be helpful for me to finalise. Thank you .
Hi,
Thank you for the wishes. 2,200km+ post my purchase have been a real treat on the roads. Last week I drove to Chennai and back so that was a good 750+km on highways to try the car for a number of different performance parameters - Acceleration, braking, mid range punch, music system, driving fatigue etc.

The warranty covers all the major mechanical elements that you mentioned. It won't of course cover wear parts such as tyres (which I immediately got changed anyway). From what I have read so far, it seems that one could negotiate a better price with Audi in locations outside of Bengaluru, Chennai and some other parts of South India as the dealership is a monopoly. For reference, I managed to squeeze out a discount of 9% on the quoted price and asked for a bunch of services and replacements when I realised they wouldn't reduce any more.

Hope this helps.
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:31   #264
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I recently got a used 2014 Audi A3 diesel s line variant from audi approved. The seat outer leather is not in best of the shape and I was exploring if it can be replaced.

The audi dealer salesmen told me to avoid it and he mentioned that there is an airbag in each of the front seat and changing the seat leather might disturb the factory fitted airbag. I checked with another workshop which has experience in premium brands and there I was informed that it can be done without any hassle.

Appreciate the group's view on the possibility of this.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 12th November 2021, 23:18   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently got a used 2014 Audi A3 diesel s line variant from audi approved. The seat outer leather is not in best of the shape and I was exploring if it can be replaced.

The audi dealer salesmen told me to avoid it and he mentioned that there is an airbag in each of the front seat and changing the seat leather might disturb the factory fitted airbag. I checked with another workshop which has experience in premium brands and there I was informed that it can be done without any hassle.

Thanks a ton in advance.
I am sure you are aware that the shoulder airbag has to pop out of the seat cover and OEM seats are designed not to impede the airbag deployment. Some vendors are claiming they can offer airbag compatible seat covers but it sounds very risky to me.

I bet these are not tested or certified by any reputed agency. I also think that these after-market seat covers will be placed on top of the original seat covers - so there will be two layers of seat covers. We also don't know how each manufacturer has designed the location, size and deployment path of the airbag and how can a generic seat cover be assumed compatible?

Airbag deployment happens in a fraction of a second with a tremendous force - if the deployment is impeded even by a small margin, it can deploy in a very unsafe manner. Why take a chance?

Perhaps you can consider some kinda of seat restoration/refurbishing.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 23:51   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am sure you are aware that the shoulder airbag has to pop out of the seat cover and OEM seats are designed not to impede the airbag deployment. Some vendors are claiming they can offer airbag compatible seat covers but it sounds very risky to me.

Perhaps you can consider some kinda of seat restoration/refurbishing.
Completely echo your concerns, and I would suggest exploring the refurbishing route first too.

That being said, I believe this is a standard A3 that had 6 airbags back in 2014 IIRC: driver, passenger, and curtain airbags. Would it still pose an issue because many people have changed their OE seat material / added extra covers on cars with such configurations.

Forgive my ignorance on this topic as I never explored it and always assumed it wasn't a big deal on most vehicles with 6 airbags.

Edit: I also treat whatever Audi service chaps say with a pinch of salt as they are not always updated about older models. I've had them pushing for a DSG oil change on a CVT vehicle (since the face-lift came with DSG while pre-facelift was CVT). Best way to know about your specification is to find an online VIN decoder / look up user manual for the car.

Last edited by lamborghini : 12th November 2021 at 23:53.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:32   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10 View Post
I checked with another workshop which has experience in premium brands and there I was informed that it can be done without any hassle.

I am based in Bengaluru and believe that there are a few companies that can replace the seat covers without affecting the airbag function. You’ll just need to find a reputed workshop / vendor who can do this. FYI, all the seat covers done up on our cars (without airbag) were done by completely ripping out the existing seat cover, fluffing up the cushioning and then relaid.
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 00:22   #268
BHPian

Hi Avinash.
Thank you for this wonderful review. Absolutely dig those coffee brown seats. I've gone through your review multiple times as i was contemplating on a pre worshipped A3 from Approved plus. It was a heart trumping the brain situation for me as well as i just brought home a 2016 A3 35 TDI.
Coming for an uninspiring Honda BRV, the A3 is on a different level. The puddle lights are a classy touch. I've had multiple instances of passengers wiping the floor with their feet before they realised it was a projection.
I've taken it to the hills twice and it feels absolutely superb on the curves. On the highways, you can barely tell the speeds at which you're cruising along. It's just been 20 days and i have clocked 2500 kms already. I've been planning trips just for the pleasure of driving it. I'm glad i picked up this beast, it's a keeper.
Old 29th January 2022, 09:56   #269
BHPian

Dear bhpns, Can you suggest which brand is good for brake pads for A3. I'm looking to change the front brake pads of my A3 TDI and I don't want to do it in the Audi service. Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 29th January 2022, 10:52   #270
Senior - BHPian

Brembo Xtra pads are good. Been using it in my Octavia with Brembo Xtra (dotted) rotors and performs very well. EBC yellow is good too
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks