Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
I am able to connect 5 phones so far:

Xiaomi Mi3 (Andriod)
HTC Desire (Andriod)
Nokia Asha (Symbian)
Nokia 808 pureview (Symbian)

But call logs and phone book feature is not working on any of the above brand, need to check it why is it so.. but basic functionality to receive / make a phone call and auto connect once you start system is working flawlessly. Noice reduction of mic is surprisingly best in industry I must say.
Interesting, my iPhone4 & Nokia C2-01 (Symbian) both work flawlessly - phonebook & call logs.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:31   #1082
BHPian

Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
I am able to connect 5 phones so far:
======Noice reduction of mic is surprisingly best in industry I must say.
I did some googling and found that the Nexus 5 does not connect as an USB device and hence the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeva View Post
Hi All,
Few quick observations from my 250 odd Kms drive, all of which is city drive in medium to heavy traffic.
1. A/C is very effective at 23 deg C.
How was the fan noise inside the cabin?

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th October 2014 at 14:41. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:34   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
All these years, I thought this method was called tankful - to - tankful . Is it not?
Oops... My bad! Mistook it as reserve to reserve.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:59   #1084
Senior - BHPian

I took delivery of silver Zest XM D on 15.10.2014.

Drove for about 200 km, of which about 150 km was on four-laned highway and the rest in city.

Road view is quite good. Seating is very comfortable and cabin space is generous.

Average fuel consumption was shown to be 10.4 kmpl when I took delivery and steadily climbed upto 17 kmpl after 150 km of travel on highway.

Ride is very smooth. Audio is good. Bluetooth connectivity between phone and the audio system was established quite easily and quickly.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 18:03   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I took delivery of silver Zest XM D on 15.10.2014
Congrats man. I saw a few Zests in Sec'bad from the past couple of days, looks good.

How was your experience with Tata dealer in Hyderabad ? How long is the waiting period ?
Old 18th October 2014, 14:10   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
Congrats man. I saw a few Zests in Sec'bad from the past couple of days, looks good.

How was your experience with Tata dealer in Hyderabad ? How long is the waiting period ?
Tata dealers, atleast Concorde, are in chaos. While SAs are helpful and eager, the lack of information is disconcerting.

No dedicated insurance adviser on showroom floor. One has to get an adviser from the floor above. Even the adviser is not well versed with the riders available and the incremental jump in premium.

While the warranty is applicable for 36 months or 100000 lakh kilometres, Tata is now providing AMC upto 3 years/45,000 kms. The SAs are prone to convince you that this offer is being provided by the dealership and not by Tata.

While offering you the AMC, they point to a coloumn where it mentions AMC Gold which mentions the cost of Rs.8200.00 and say this is being provided. While taking the delivery, when asked about the certificate showing the AMC Gold, they coolly explain that they meant AMC Silver which covers oils and scheduled maintenance where as the AMC Gold covers worn out parts too.

One more thing is the Extended Warranty offer for the fourth year/1.5 lakh kilometres, at Rs.8,000.00. Owner's Manual mentions a seperate Extended Warranty Booklet but the dealership has no clue about it.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 15:46   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Tata dealers, atleast Concorde, are in chaos. While SAs are helpful and eager, the lack of information is disconcerting.

While the warranty is applicable for 36 months or 100000 lakh kilometres, Tata is now providing AMC upto 3 years/45,000 kms. The SAs are prone to convince you that this offer is being provided by the dealership and not by Tata.

While offering you the AMC, they point to a coloumn where it mentions AMC Gold which mentions the cost of Rs.8200.00 and say this is being provided. While taking the delivery, when asked about the certificate showing the AMC Gold, they coolly explain that they meant AMC Silver which covers oils and scheduled maintenance where as the AMC Gold covers worn out parts too.

One more thing is the Extended Warranty offer for the fourth year/1.5 lakh kilometres, at Rs.8,000.00. Owner's Manual mentions a seperate Extended Warranty Booklet but the dealership has no clue about it.
That's concorde for you. You better report these points straight to TML customer care bypassing concorde. My experience is that they hear and act.

Insist on the warranty book. It gives you a clear information of covered items and terms. That's again concorde making mess. Even my omni had a separate extended warranty book. My vista had an extended warranty book. And guess what? Once concorde took my book for a warranty job and misplaced it .

TASS won't trouble you in warranty claims if you don't have the book though. There online system has a proper entry for extended warranty along with expiry date. Yet - get your EW book with concorde seal. Insist on it.
Old 18th October 2014, 21:13   #1088
BHPian

Amusing how some onlookers react to my Zest
  • First they glance at it from front curiously
  • Then give it an admiring stare
  • Then walk to the rear & check what car / model it is
  • Visible surprise
gsurya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 21:58   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
  • Visible surprise
That's a bit of a surprise as many owners are reporting the same. Feels good of course. But still it's surprising given the aggressive marketing campaigns. Every other commercial break has zest. Every Android app/website has zest ad. Even YouTube has regular zest ads. There are hoardings everywhere in metros at least. Perhaps majority people ignore the car in the ad after seeing it's a Tata . That makes the launch owners like you important ambassadors. Enjoy .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 22:31   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
  • Visible surprise
I am sure this happens with all owners. When I showed Zest to my father for the first time he flatly refused to believe it's a Tata till I showed him the badge in the rear.
Old 18th October 2014, 22:53   #1091

I took delivery of Buzz Blue XMA today from K H T Motors, Whitefield, Bangalore. There was a mega delivery drive which happened there, atleast 10-12 ZEST's were delivered today. Most of them are mid variants, I could spot many XM's, couple of XMS and XMA in Red, Biege, Sky Grey, Buzz Blue, Silver.

My experience with delivery was good. All documentation was ready when I arrived. Was explained all details and customary checklist was also there. The welcome kit file 'Swagat' had some documentation around warranty, dealer contact details and slip in pouches for keeping invoice etc., I also had to speak to customer care to register vehicle on the spot in dealreship itself. The mass delivery photoshoot we had to wait for long as it started raining, usual Bangalore surprise Due to mass delivery event KHT had made some special arrangement with snacks and also RJ Keerthi from Radio City 91.1 FM was there to capture experience of customers around ZEST.

As accessories, I have the reverse camera installed with extrenal screen display on the dash board. Also I got the seat covers done by dealer.

I got floor and boot mats, mud flaps, freshner, ganesha idol offered at Rs 1000 in dealer price sheet. Apart from that got a small box of chocolates, KHT key chain and Rs 500 lifestyle voucher (must be dealer contribution

Though haven't driven much yet (about 30 kms) my first impressions and sort of short ownership review

1. Car fit and finish is very good, glossy shine
2. Spacious
3. Well grounded
4. Good road presence and impressive stance
5. ABS works well ( I am used to non ABS, so had tough time with sudden brake in initial drive back to home)
6. Suspensions are good, flattens ordinary bumps and potholes
7. Though diesel engine can be heard outside, inside is super silent
8. Music system is too good ( I am used to market available pioneer etc., so quality with Harman is a big plus)
9. Car will start only in neutral and brake pedal pressed, also when the key is triggered for ignition brief 10 secs.It runs a full diagnoistic type display on console, then starts (disco lights and then start !!). Console looks nice when lit up.
10. AC was quite powerful, even with AC knob half way in cooler mark

Somethings I need to get used to in XMA
1. AMT for sure you can feel the upshift (1-2), after that it is smooth. So by no means this is not a torque based regular automatic.
2. Downshift from 4th to lower is little jerky, in otherwords you can make out gear is shifting
3. While accelerating there is a small shift jerk (Haven't tried Sports and Manual mode yet)
4. Once above 40-50 car picks up well, but being XMA coming from manual background would need some time to get right feel.
5. I am used to turning radius of small hatchbacks (Chevy Spark and Nano), with Zest looks like either I need to learn the technique or get used to wider turning radius

Somethings I noticed - which I would need to check at first service or get accustomed through manuals and day to day use
1. After the car starts and door locks are engaged, when under 25, feels like computer is checking to auto lock and makes some knocking noise as if it is trying to lock. At higher speeds it disappears.
2. Trunk lever opening from inside I felt it is little tight on springs, as compared to cars I am used to.
3. While opening trunk with key also I felt it is little hard to open
4. (It was already mentioned in some earlier post) - Sometimes when I shift from A - Drive mode to Reverse and back to Drive, the display shows 'R' engaged, when I move back to 'N' and back to 'A' display corrects itself
5.(It was already mentioned in some earlier post) - The console is not visible fully when steering is at lowest position, initially I struggled to see, then I moved steering little up, now console is clear.
6. I have not been succesful connecting my Samsung Galaxy Grand with the Harman system (yet to get it paired, it says not found), will give again a try after reading Connect Next manual.

Attached are some pictures of my buzz blue as well as some in the mega drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-20141018_123045.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20141018_121648.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20141018_121546.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20141018_133453.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-20141018_133626.jpg  

vauto_fan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 10:49   #1092
BHPian

Any idea if the AMT model with safety pack will be out anytime soon ? I remember TATA telling that based on the demand, they may introduce the Automatic model with the safety pack (ABS and Airbags)
Old 19th October 2014, 10:56   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauto_fan View Post
I took delivery of Buzz Blue XMA today from K H T Motors, Whitefield, Bangalore. There was a mega delivery drive which happened there, atleast 10-12 ZEST's were delivered today. Most of them are mid variants, I could spot many XM's, couple of XMS and XMA in Red, Biege, Sky Grey, Buzz Blue, Silver.

My experience with delivery was good. ...

5. ABS works well ( I am used to non ABS, so had tough time with sudden
Hey congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you unlimited safe and happy miles with the Zest.

Can you elaborae about the point 5 above? Are you suggesting that the breaks are good and have a faster decelaration compared to your previous car?
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 11:59   #1094

Quote:
Originally Posted by psankar View Post
Any idea if the AMT model with safety pack will be out anytime soon ? I remember TATA telling that based on the demand, they may introduce the Automatic model with the safety pack (ABS and Airbags)
XMA has ABS, yes It doesnot have airbags

Brakes are effective. Being a non ABS user felt car is coming to halt on slight press of brakes. People who are used to ABS may have a better idea on how good ABS is on Zest.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th October 2014 at 09:14.
vauto_fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 12:35   #1095
BHPian

Hi friends, can anyone suggest a decent Tata showroom in Delhi? I am willing to buy a Zest but not sure which showroom to contact as I am in Bangalore and the new car will serve my parents.

Most Viewed