Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 18:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Superb review deserving 5 stars indeed.

After a long, long time, finally a car from the Tata stable that the prospective buyers would seriously consider. They now need to focus on complimenting this car with a better (I mean a LOT better) ASS, especially because this car has some real stiff competition.

Redemption time for Tata and they've put the foot in the right direction with Zest. Cheerio
Old 4th August 2014, 18:52   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
...By the way the TML guy who was with me during the TD told me that the aim of Tata was to benchmark Dell for service and support!..
Being a Dell employee for 50 months, a really really bad standard to benchmark! But since (most of) the products are robust, you don't need their support too often!

Hope Zest is a similar product with no need of much of support. That itself will take care of the impression to a great extent.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th August 2014 at 18:54.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 18:55   #93
BHPian

1 important question :
Has the Zest been Crash tested? If yes ? Where and how much did it score?
If no official information out from Tata , does it imply it is not NCAP tested ?
Does it make it a lesser safe car than an I20 which is 4 star NCAP rated?
It weighs over 1100kgs so does that imply a safer body shell?(similar query since 3 years in my mind for the Manza now)
Or is it crash tested at Tata's indoor crash test facility? Any such Disclosure from TML ?
Expert inputs would be welcome.

Last edited by madhu33 : 4th August 2014 at 19:02.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 19:28   #94
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always. What is especially heartening is the attention to detail, something which none of the Indian companies are good at. If this does not bring in volumes for Tata nothing else will. What Tata needs to learn is improving the fit and finish to VW levels and weight management. I still feel that the Zest is a bit too heavy for its size and segment.
Old 4th August 2014, 19:47   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Off-topic:

Being a Dell employee for 50 months, a really really bad standard to benchmark! But since (most of) the products are robust, you don't need their support too often!

Hope Zest is a similar product with no need of much of support. That itself will take care of the impression to a great extent.
We have been long term Dell Clients and I can assure the support is top notch! These days it is through Wipro or maybe it's been for a long time but we are highly satisfied Dell clients!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
1 important question :
If no official information out from Tata , does it imply it is not NCAP tested ?
Does it make it a lesser safe car than an I20 which is 4 star NCAP rated?
It weighs over 1100kgs so does that imply a safer body shell?(similar query since 3 years in my mind for the Manza now)
Or is it crash tested at Tata's indoor crash test facility? Any such Disclosure from TML ?
Expert inputs would be welcome.
That's something our Mod's could check with TML. It would be interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Excellent review as always. What is especially heartening is the attention to detail, something which none of the Indian companies are good at. If this does not bring in volumes for Tata nothing else will. What Tata needs to learn is improving the fit and finish to VW levels and weight management. I still feel that the Zest is a bit too heavy for its size and segment.
I think the Zest if made lighter would be a totally different package! Tata cars have traditionally been heavy vehicles guess that comes from the years of truck manufacturing! Just Kidding!
Old 4th August 2014, 19:52   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
The video that i shared on Page 1, seems to suggest that the Zest was indeed crash tested. The score? Like Fuel Efficiency and Pricing, this too seems to be a closely guarded secret by Tata Motors.

Let us hope they are planning to surprise us by releasing this information prior to launch to help sustain and enhance the "WOW" factor it already seems to be garnering.

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2014 at 13:29. Reason: No short forms please. Full manufacturer & model name is mandatory on Team-BHP. Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 20:38   #97
Team-BHP Support

What an awesome review Addy and Rehaan. Superb details. Well worth the extra time taken.

Quite a refreshing car from Tata in this day and age of cost cutting. Where every manufacturer from Honda to Toyota to Skoda is cutting costs wherever possible, Tata has upped the ante and taken a huge leap in desirable quotient. cost cutting from Vista has actually been done away with. Interior looks awesome and the premium features are always welcome.

The 3 maps in Revotron is a brilliant idea. The engine is more tuned to driveability than outright performance and this is understandable. Nobody buys a Tata being an enthusiast looking for sheer driving pleasure. They appeal more to the head with practicality.

Let's see how they price this one especially the diesel AMT which is a segment first.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 20:53   #98
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent, highly detailed review Aditya and Rehaan. Rated 5 stars.
The review showed the vehicle inside out in all possible angles.
The interiors are really drool-worthy, especially the touchscreen and the instrument console.
In fact I found the interiors to be more premium looking than the Xcent's.

The thing that disappointed me the most is the Revotron. I knew that it'd not be an explosive one like the TSi. But was expecting it to be at least passable for an enthusiast.
After reading that the engine feels best under 4000RPM, I think it is more like a diesel engine tuned for driveability(like Ford 1.4 TDCi) than like a turbo petrol. I think that the manual 90PS diesel or even the 75PS one in the Bolt will be more enjoyable than the Revotron.
I hope that the aftermarket remaps will be able to bring out the best in the engine.
That would make this car an all rounder.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:29   #99
BHPian

Congrats to Tata Motors ... a wonderful car for the Indians by the Indians. It clearly show-cases the shift in quality standards of Tatas and Indians. Finally we Indians have our car competing with the Japanese & Koreans. Would love to have on in my stable.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know the rear suspension layout?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th August 2014, 21:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Its fantastic to see an Indian company make such a great product. Long term reliability may be a question mark but one has to agree that never has a Tata product looked so good and well finished. If this succeeds, it will make other Indian manufacturers think about building cars. Cmon Ashok Lleyland, Reliance, Bajaj, TVS & Sonalika !!
China has some 100 car manufacturers, we have 2 !! (or 3 if you believe Sonalika produces cars )
Old 4th August 2014, 21:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review as usual.
Deserves five star rating.
Positives are in abundance and negatives for a change are few.
My observations-

• Would have been better if flippy key had a boot open button rather than the headlamps one.

• Ignition key illumination is in my Manza as well and a very good feature to have in darkness.

• Infotainment screen looks premium and good to know sound quality of speakers is more than enough.

• Boot & fuel lid release levers could have been placed with some space. If one isn't paying complete attention while opening the boot the fuel lid is opened by mistake. Happened to me in Manza a few times.

• TML is really missing a trick by not advertising the AMT in diesel. I personally know a few people who aren't TATA fans but will jump on to get the cheapest automatic available.

• Which door/boot open indication is an excellent must to have feature which isn't there in Manza or in our new city.

• As i understand the petrol will only get a 5 speed manual. Does TML has any future plans to introduce an AMT for the same?

• Space is USP for Tata from day one and good to see Zest isn't doing bad in that department. However, i would have prefered a bit more headroom in the rear.

• The 390 litres boot is actually bigger in person than in the pics and should be sufficient for many.

• No cladding on the boot lid seems to be the new cost cutting measure adopted by all manufacturers. New city and Xcent have the same thing. Looks really bad.

• Distance to empty and A&B Average FE display is another necessary feature to have. I think Xcent doesn't have it.

• Headlight level control stalk is at the same place and is even present in Manza. It's the correct place to have it considering the practical use.

All in all i couldn't find any deal breaker. I really hope this will revive TML as the segment first automatic and features will inspire other manufacturers to do the same which is beneficial for us.

We are using Tata cars for last 9 years. We have seen Tata at its best and worst in A.S.S. In the past 2 years the service has really improved and i can only see it getting better. However, initial ownership reports will be extremely important to change the perception of people.

Last edited by harry10 : 4th August 2014 at 21:51.
harry10 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 21:58   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic review. Amazing eye for details. A well deserved 5* rating for the review.

TATA seems to have put serious efforts to get this car right. If the car does not show niggles in the initial stages (for some reason it makes me if it wont have those niggles this time around), a decent performer is on the cards for the TATAs. The car is nicely loaded with features, built decently, neutral handling, nice legroom, good choice of engines and competitive pricing will make it a strong contender.

With the introduction of the Zest, the order of preference in the compact segment would be as below.

1. Hyundai Xcent/TATA Zest
2. Maruti Dzire
3. Honda Amaze (least preferred due to the cost cutting, nothing more than bare basic features available on the car, not so great build quality and noisy diesel engine)
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 22:02   #104
BHPian

A great valiant effort by Tata.
I want zest to be very successful and then hopefully other car makers will be forced to give more quality equipment in their cars. I hope you are listening Mr. stingy Honda!
Personally though I wouldn't buy this car. Just don't like the looks. I think the zest will look much much better if it go down the mobilio route. Those elongated headlamps wouldn't look so awkard then. A seven seater 90hp diesel zest mpv with AMT will be an mpv worth looking at.

Oh and by the way, cracking review from tbhp as usual!

Last edited by nakul0888 : 4th August 2014 at 22:04.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 22:02   #105
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful product from TATA. If you ask me, this is one of the better looking sub-4m compact sedans in our market currently.

I am just wondering how they will price it with all those features thrown in. Wondering if those Projector headlamps only for high end or some optional stuff only ?

With all these goodies, if they still manage to price it cheaper than Dzire and Amaze, they might finally start seeing decent numbers.

Hoping the typically TATA QC niggles are sorted out in this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks