Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 16:26   #451
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Wow! Zest is overpriced?
I never said that. XMA is overpriced when compared to the features offered in XM vs XMS vs XT.

I only said 72k for the AMT is overpriced.

Tata's pricing have always been a killer. I vouch for Tata's for the last 3 years as there are 2 Vista's in the stable and surely the Zest in the coming months.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:30   #452
BHPian

With all the noise for a XT (A), I personally think it is a prudent move by Tata to not bring this in.
1 - There might be a restriction in the number of AMT's that can be procured per cycle (maybe initially)
2 - Looking at history - e.g. compare the typical number of Swift VDis on the road with the ZDi's.
3- The typical Indian car buyer does not feel that Airbags are something that is needed - they would not pay for seatbelts if there was an option.
4- The price of the top-end XTA would have been 30-40K higher which clearly puts it in the price league of the competitors. A risk they are looking to avoid. Once the momentum builds, expect the XTA version.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:37   #453
BHPian

Kolkata on-road prices.
Attached Images

Sabyasworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:46   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
With all the noise for a XT (A), I personally think it is a prudent move by Tata to not bring this in.
Its definitely a missed opportunity for Tata. After deep slumer they bring out a good looking product in the hot selling compact sedan segment, top of the line features, segment first DIESEL AT, and at an extremely competitive price. Sales of the mid variants of petrol AT cars are surely going to take a hit.

If only they had provided the XTA variant then it would have wiped out the petrol AT compact sedan segment completely. Even the customers of the mighty Verna diesel AT, would have considered this, but alas for these product planning folks, the AT + Safety combination options remain far and few.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:08   #455
BHPian

Just got the call I was waiting for from Tata Concorde Mumbai, they have got my online booking now from the company & can deliver in a couple of weeks as I was one of the earliest to book (No. 206 in India).

They are finding out which colors of my top end choice Revotron XT model are most available so I can make my choice.

I have only seen Zest Blue & Red in person & they both look gorgeous. I think I might like Beige even more, will try to check it out and decide.

Excited!
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 19:22   #456
Senior - BHPian

Took a spin on the Revotron and Quadrajet Zest's today when they had come to display at Bagmane Tech Park.

Took the Revotron first as I was eager to feel the turbo petrol. At idle, there was a constant jerk from the engine which could be felt on the floor and disappeared when I gave it some power. The car had a small mishap according to the guy from Aadya motors since there was also a thud/clunk noise from the front especially when going over a bump or undulation.

Coming to the engine, my thoughts were the same after I drove the Ecosport Ecoboost. I just could not feel that power although the engine was rated at 89bhp. I drove for around just 2 kms within the tech park with many speed breakers and the low end acceleration was quite low and then the chap sitting with me said it is City mode , so changed it to sports which made a slight improvement. Even when the turbo kicked in, it does not push you back like the diesel. I am guessing this is purely an engine made for efficiency and the environment . It is wrong to compare it to the other small sized turbo petrol's out there.

The 90hp diesel on the other hand was totally different. The car was in good shape, amazing torque and turbo rush . Felt like the right engine for this car.
The suspension seems to be a bit on the hard and side which is good .
The space is something which impressed me. I sat on the back bench and had a smile on my face. I am over 6 feet. It felt quite comfortable . Driving position I felt was usual. AC is a chiller.
Plastic look and quality did not impress me. The plastic print on the beige side was very noticeable and looks ugly.

Overall , a big leap forward for TATA, but I don't see the petrol taking off for them like always.
The AMT was not available for a test.

On the sides, I got a gift voucher from them for doing the test drive.

Last edited by tharian : 14th August 2014 at 19:24.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 19:59   #457
BHPian

Fantastic review!
This time TATA has really worked hard and has come up with a world class product. Luckily the marketing has also worked well this time, it surely has created a buzz around the product. Proud to see this product and talk about it. I hope this does really well. The price too is pretty competitive 4.64 L for petrol and 5.64 for diesel. Its surely going to present a tough competition to market leader Maruti Suzuki Dzire and the recent hit Honda Amaze.

Really excited to see the response to TATA's new turbocharged petrol engine Revotron.
Old 14th August 2014, 20:22   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
haha that lamp looks quite nifty!

seems like quite a lot of support for team tata, lets hope they make good
this time round
Old 14th August 2014, 23:48   #459
Senior - BHPian

In the near future, I'll be on the lookout to upgrade from my Santro Xing. My natural instinct would be to upgrade to a B2/C1 segment car.

The absolute necessities I'm looking for in my upgrade - ABS and Airbags. So I just did a quick search to see what all diesel hatches fall into my list. Took the least specced trim with ABS/Airbag as standard. Got the ex showroom price (TN) from web portals, mainly Carwale.

Grand i10 Asta (O) - 6.47 L
Swift ZDi - 6.89 L
Polo Trendline - 6.89 L
Micra - 6.42
Figo Titanium - 6.13

Zest XMS - 6.45 L !!!

Now if that isn't killer pricing, I don't know what is! Looks like TATA learnt its lesson well from the Aria pricing accident. I would really love to see our own TATA giving Maruti & Co. a run for their money finally.

So am I running to the showroom and booking my Zest tomorrow?? Maybe not...
If TATA can price the Zest so well, I can't seem to imagine how they price the Bolt! The wait is on....
Geo_Ipe is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 02:44   #460
BANNED

I met someone today at the workshop where i am getting some work done on my Zen and he mentioned he got 25K discount for being early bird i.e for booking before 16th August . He had booked Diesel variant and is getting delivery on 25th August.
Old 15th August 2014, 03:22   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I met someone today at the workshop where i am getting some work done on my Zen and he mentioned he got 25K discount for being early bird i.e for booking before 16th August . He had booked Diesel variant and is getting delivery on 25th August.

Really? Can u get me his contact details & which dealer gave him this? I booked it on 24th July & haven't heard I am getting any such discount yet?!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 15th August 2014, 05:41   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Just got the call I was waiting for from Tata Concorde Mumbai, they have got my online booking now from the company & can deliver in a couple of weeks as I was one of the earliest to book (No. 206 in India).

They are finding out which colors of my top end choice Revotron XT model are most available so I can make my choice.

I have only seen Zest Blue & Red in person & they both look gorgeous. I think I might like Beige even more, will try to check it out and decide.

Excited!
That's strange. Even I have Order No. 206 for the Revotron. But we have been in touch with the dealer since 21st July.

The pricing is simply amazing. We had thought to consider the Zest in case the pricing was around 6.5 L OTR and that's exactly the price Zest has come out with. Now need to do a TD again to finalize between the Zest and the Skoda Rapid (also booked).
Old 15th August 2014, 06:55   #463
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMeMyself View Post

That's strange. Even I have Order No. 206 for the Revotron. But we have been in touch with the dealer since 21st July.

The pricing is simply amazing. We had thought to consider the Zest in case the pricing was around 6.5 L OTR and that's exactly the price Zest has come out with. Now need to do a TD again to finalize between the Zest and the Skoda Rapid (also booked).
Congratulations on booking it. Any date given for deliveries?

When are you going to decide on the final car for choice?!

Anurag.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:01   #464
Senior - BHPian

I went to the Pandit showroom on Law College road today morning. And was really disappointed to hear from the security person that the showroom is closed today.

Instead of cashing in on the biggest holiday in India, how can they keep the showroom shut I saw advertisements of Hyundai, Skoda and few more Auto companies in news papers mentioning big discounts and special Independence day offers and all. Tata should have made sure to keep all showrooms across the country fully functional over this long weekend to garner in more and more prospective customers for the Zest.

I agree half of the crowd goes out of station because of long weekend, but not all.

BTW, the security guard was really friendly and looking at my shocked face, he allowed me to sit in the Zest test driver vehicle for a while. Comparing with Vista, the interiors are from another world. Infact, the interiors are miles ahead in look and feel compared to the AMAZE, ETIOS and to an extent the DZire. The boot integration is pretty good IMO, I think slightly better than the XCent. Ofcourse, the interiors of XCent are still the BEST in the segment. So its XCent > Zest > Dzire > Amaze, for interior quality.

The security guard could not find a price list for me. While I was leaving there were two more prospective customers asking for showroom timings, but they were also shocked to hear that its shut today.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 15th August 2014 at 09:06.
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 10:45   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Instead of cashing in on the biggest holiday in India, how can they keep the showroom shut I saw advertisements of Hyundai, Skoda and few more Auto companies in news papers mentioning big discounts and special Independence day offers and all.
The companies you've mentioned are of non-Indian origin, hence they don't value India's independence day that much as a Tata Motors or Maurti (just kidding ). Why the poor showroom folks shouldn't enjoy a holiday on independence day, when rest of the country does. Taking care of their showroom employees seems to be a priority over increasing foot falls on 15th Aug.

Quote:
Tata should have made sure to keep all showrooms across the country fully functional over this long weekend to garner in more and more prospective customers for the Zest.
They can more than make up for this loss by extending the working hours on week days. Also they can take the test drive cars to potential customer homes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks