Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2015, 19:29   #1816
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Got the first free service done last weekend on my XT RT(mileage 3477kms). The overall experience with Concorde Motors, Baner was nice. Prompt response to my online service booking as well as timely reception of my vehicle when I brought it for service(special mention for Sandeep). Didn't even need to give him the free service coupon. He kept me informed about the progress and probable charges for a broken fog lamp and DRL. I had to pay INR 84/- for the faulty cabin lamp bulb but the fog lamp was not available in stock. Other than that there were no charges. Delivery was smooth too and I took a satisfactory test ride with service manager.
Must say, I found the service process thoroughly professional though TASS is not a very renowned name in after sales.
mayankverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 00:38   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
[*]Only one question that stops me and my wife is long term reliability; of all the cars we have seen stranded on the highways, we have been unlucky to count 99% of them to the Tata[/list]
That's because the expensive European cars have already been loaded on to flatbeds by the time you would've spotted them

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-cars-31.html

Tata owners tend to be on a budget and are probably looking for lower cost repair/tow options.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 22:42   #1818
BHPian

Tata Zest to get XTA, says Cartoq

Quote:
CarToq sources reveal that Tata Motors will soon launch a top-end variant of the automated manual transmission equipped Zest compact sedan. Available in a single XMA variant thus far, the AMT equipped Zest is a major differentiating factor for the compact sedan in its category. By adding the XTA, top-end variant to the Zest’s variant line up, Tata Motors will seek to attract buyers who want both the automatic transmission functionality as well as a feature loaded car in a single package. Bookings for the Zest XTA will soon be open and deliveries will start in two months’ time.

The Zest XTA variant will be priced at 8.07 lakh rupees, ex-showroom Delhi
Source
theredliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 08:37   #1819

Tata Zest XTA launched at Rs.8.07 Lacs ex-showroom Delhi. Information from Motorbeam. Follow the link for details

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/car...rs-8-42-lakhs/
gautamboseroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 15:46   #1820
BHPian

I have been following up with Dinesh Bhasin, Head of Customer Support,Tata Motors regarding upgrade of HK Infotainment system for XT to enable pre-2015 Zests to use GPS Navigation system.

NOTE - Video streaming is not possible in older unit due to lack of memory and hence I did not ask for video streaming option to be made available.

Below is the update from his team, which seems more like their media statement issued on Zest Facebook page
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having explored this wish to inform you that ConnectNext Infotainment by Harman™ cannot be changed for the existing Zest owners.

As you know, the ConnectNext Infotainment by Harman™ has been specifically tailor-made for the Zest. Since it is a customized solution, it connects to all the major components inside the car, constantly transmitting data and analytics to the DIS (driver information system) and back. Changing or modifying it will entail an entire overhaul of hardware and software systems.

Technology advancements will continue to happen through the lifecycle of our products.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per my interactions earlier with Harman India team, Navigation was possible with a simple software update, but TML is stating otherwise.

Can we have thoughts on which is correct from our esteemed experts on T-BHP?
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 16:13   #1821
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata is really trying to break the image barrier with the Zest this time around. Atleast that is what I can feel with the launch of the XTA variant, something which most people on the forum had asked for. They had got the job done half right when they launched the cheapest diesel AT car in India but somehow skipped on the safety features. The XTA addresses that issue now and @8.07L Ex-showroom Delhi, I think it is quite well priced too. Now the Zest has become a very strong contender in my list w.r.t. the Honda Jazz. You get a more feature rich car, diesel and AT, all at a much lower price point.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 01:21   #1822
Senior - BHPian

We are looking to purchase a Zest AMT and I've been researching it. Now that the XTA is somewhat confirmed, I am more keen on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
• Magneti Marelli (2nd generation AMT from FIAT’s subsidiary tested both by FIAT as well as by TATA, double check before introduction)

o Multiple driving modes / ECU maps for its new petrol motor (unheard of in any of the mass market products, shows confidence on the engine, not like Honda which is not confident of its diesel motor with rpm limitation and top speed limitation even after a tall claim of 100,000 cars sold)

-Possibility of going by FIAT recommended service intervals for Zest Diesel (15 ,000 km or 1 year – frequent service not required if the engine oil is semi synthetic and FIAT is doing the same with its own product line, Tata has to simply stick to it)

-Possibility of longer warranties on engine and transmission (FIAT is doing it for 3+2 years, Tata is using the same product and can thus extend it for MT versions, AMT could be different, but if there is enough of testing, even that can be included in warranties)
According to this article, Tata uses the 3rd gen and Celerio uses 4th gen MM AMT?

http://overdrive.in/news/maruti-suzu...-transmission/

Last edited by Mpower : 8th March 2015 at 01:22.
Old 8th March 2015, 01:46   #1823
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Mumbai has been hit with non-seasonal rains,

Any Idea whether a new car needs Antirust treatment?

Any new car owners who have got it done?
Do you mean the underbody anti-rust coating?

While modern cars do get a good enough anti-rust treatment from the factory, I would still recommend an underbody anti-rust coating for the coastal cities. The conditions tend to be more corrosive near the coast, and a coating would help.

If you decide to go for it, then get it done only at an independent 3M facility, and not the dealer workshop. The dealership guys generally don't do a thorough job.

At a 3M outlet, you can watch your car from close quarters as it gets coated. 3M's underbody coating with the 5-year warranty has the added advantage of enhancing the car's insulation (from noise & heat, to a certain extent) as well.

Last edited by RSR : 8th March 2015 at 01:48.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 00:00   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
According to this article, Tata uses the 3rd gen and Celerio uses 4th gen MM AMT?

http://overdrive.in/news/maruti-suzu...-transmission/
The source of most of the information in the article is a Maruti employee/spokesperson, so take everything with a generous pinch of salt.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:15   #1825
BHPian

Completed a 550 kms trip over the long weekend to Kanha National Park. Needless to say the brightest point of the trip was Tata Zest!! Following are some observations from the trip:

1. First up, the mileage. I got a cumulative mileage of 15.5 kpl for complete trip. This included 60% flat empty highways, 20% ghat sections with great to bad roads and 20% sections with no roads and where speeds never went above 30 kph. The AC was on for the full distance of trip and there were 4 passengers with moderate luggage onboard. Oh and I only used city mode throughout with sport mode for some very short bursts.

In fact, the best part was that for the initial 150 kms of empty highway MID showed mileage of 17.6 kpl!!

2. The climate control was again fantastic offering rapid cooling with fine control of the temperature.

3. Car soaks up bumps like none other. At no point did the suspension bottomed out and the high ground clearance made it easy to negotiate the rough terrain. I was actually worried of scraping bottom on those extremely bad roads but Zest made me feel like I am in an SUV!!

Incidently, there was an Ecosport parked beside ours at the resort and I had opportunity to compare them side by side. The cars are of identical dimensions (ecosport being wider) and even the ground clearance appeared same.

4. The car even waded through knee deep water (knees of 5' 4" tiny guy that I am ) quite comfortably. I was a bit worried looking at the water but there were no concerns at all.

5. What was not so great was the lack of power while negotiating inclines. I may be asking for too much but this car won't win any offroading competitions. At more than one instance, I had to slip the clutch in first gear to climb up the incline.

6. I really wonder if the turbo has any effect at all. While navigating inclines, I tried revving up till 2-3 k and then dropped the clutch and didn't feel any help coming from the turbo. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought turbo might help me here.

7. While climbing down the ghats, I learnt a life saving lesson. Some time back we were on trip taking our old trusty M800, and while climbing down ghat, I turned off the engine and just used brakes to modulate the speed. I tried the same this time with Zest. To my utter surprise, the brakes worked fine for about 2-3 minutes and then suddenly became stiff. The stopping power had reduced to just 10%. Starting the car brought brakes to life again.

Lesson learnt: Never turn off car on ghats. Never.

Overall, it was a pleasurable experience and car gave lots of confidence on both highways and the rough roads. I just can't wait for the next trip!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:47   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
7. While climbing down the ghats, I learnt a life saving lesson. Some time back we were on trip taking our old trusty M800, and while climbing down ghat, I turned off the engine and just used brakes to modulate the speed. I tried the same this time with Zest. To my utter surprise, the brakes worked fine for about 2-3 minutes and then suddenly became stiff. The stopping power had reduced to just 10%. Starting the car brought brakes to life again.

never turn off the engine in a moving car. As simple as that. Maruti 800 and Nano (without PS) don't have power steering and power brakes, rest of them do get these basic features, so turning off the engine means turning off the Power Steering motor and brakes just won't work as pressure goes out after 2-3 thrusts of the pedal. I am shocked that you didn't know about this.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:09   #1827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... while climbing down ghat, I turned off the engine and just used brakes to modulate the speed. I tried the same this time with Zest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
never turn off the engine in a moving car.
And neither use just the brakes while coming down a ghat section or an incline. Always use engine braking and with the engine running all the time. Simple stuff to follow - use the same gear while coming down an incline which you would have chosen to climb.
Drive safe!
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:18   #1828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You're absolutely right lucky man !

Never ever switch off the car when going downhill, or even coasting towards a traffic signal on a flat stretch for that matter.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:19   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
never turn off the engine in a moving car. As simple as that. Maruti 800 and Nano (without PS) don't have power steering and power brakes, rest of them do get these basic features, so turning off the engine means turning off the Power Steering motor and brakes just won't work as pressure goes out after 2-3 thrusts of the pedal. I am shocked that you didn't know about this.
You are mistaken about the Nano - all models of the Nano come with booster assisted brakes.

As for the M800, the final model before the production stopped was equipped with booster assisted brakes.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:33   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are lucky to be alive and writing this travelogue . I am serious and not kidding. Never ever repeat such a mistake in future. All modern day cars come with vacuum booster or vacuum assisted braking. The pressure you apply on brake pedal with your foot gets multiplied manifold, when the brake pads hold the brake discs or the brake shoe hold the rotor drum. This vacuum is generated only when the engine is running. When you switched off the engine on the ghat descend, what you did actually was to cut off the vacuum assistance to the brake circuit, which resulted in the brake pedals getting hard and alomst zero braking available.

Since you swtiched off the car and was descending in neutral you also could not get any assistance of engine braking, this multiplied the effect. So be careful next time.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks