Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2014, 01:52   #316
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

On the pricing, let me clarify my point of view, pricing is modest, but the fit finish and ICE is much much more modest, wouldn't mind paying 9L for something closer to the City quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Wait, what, Maruti *already* manufactures an AT Ertiga? For gods sake, start selling it in India too! What are they waiting for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It's available in Dubai as well at just AED 50,000. Fully loaded.

yessir, here is a URL and synopsis

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/automa...indonesia/4069

The Ertiga is exported from India as a CKD unit and is assembled at Suzuki’s facility in Jakarta, Indonesia. The MPV is powered by the same 1.4-litre K-series engine (KB14) petrol engine found in the India-spec Ertiga. Producing a healthy 95 PS of power and 130 Nm of torque, the engine is mated to a 5-speed automatic gearbox.

Source: web.bisnis.com via IndianAutosBlog

Thanks for the info on Dubai!

A friend of mine who works in MUL said that AT is not offered in India due to:

A) Engine is not powerful for full load, a TQ would load it further. But if it's the same engine exported with AT to Indonesia, then why not here.

B) The second, and more plausible reason was, MUL cars are famous for vfm, hence anything above 8-9 L and people start shifting focus to Honda etc.

Either which way, wouldn't hurt to give us the option right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
Plus Honda is also exporting cars and has plans for about 6000 units this fiscal.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...3000887_1.html
And now with Honda too exporting the Mobilio, they will surely have AT and ABS and Airbags in all (even base maybe) export variants too!

Finally, oh yes, to call the latest tvc hilarious, is an understatement!! Kapil definitely ran away after seeing the prices wrt the features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It is indeed hilarious to see three generations of the same family act as wannabe rapsters!
Hvt77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 13:26   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• A single 12v outlet at the front. No power sockets for rear passengers in this age of smartphones? Better get one of these to avoid fights.
GTO, I don't think that the gadget that you have pointed out in your post enables "simultaneous" charging of multiple mobile phones. It is used to charge different kinds of phones which use different power connectors, (micro-USB or propriety ports, hence, the different connectors) "one" at a time. So, the queue/fights could still be present in a Mobilio.

Last edited by misquitas : 26th July 2014 at 13:27.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:34   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvt77 View Post
A) Engine is not powerful for full load, a TQ would load it further. But if it's the same engine exported with AT to Indonesia, then why not here.

B) The second, and more plausible reason was, MUL cars are famous for vfm, hence anything above 8-9 L and people start shifting focus to Honda etc.

Either which way, wouldn't hurt to give us the option right?!
Both the reasons cited does not look plausible. Indonesia is the home turf of MPVs. Most MPVs get introduced there before reaching other shores. If a MPV is suitable for Indonesian market, I am sure it can cater to India Market. (e.g. Qualis, Tavera, Innova)

I think people are smart enough to understand that AT variants are going to cost more then MT. If Maruti offers an AT that is around 8-9, how come it does not become VFM? Only if it is offered around the price range of MT, is it VFM?

I feel the overwhelming reason could be the Fuel Efficiency factor, which the Indian market is very sensitive to. May be a petrol automatic could be a dampener for Indian buyers. Diesel Automatic ..? Technology Readiness and overall cost could be decisive factors.
Old 26th July 2014, 18:57   #319
BHPian

In more news, i cancelled my booking. I also went to the Maruti and Mahindra Showroom to give a hearing to all the Bhpians view on pricing of the mobilio.

I finally felt that the pricing was too close to the XUV500 and also learnt a little bit about the upcoming scorpio referesh.

So now waiting for the Scorpio facelift and will decide later.

I am interested to see what the Scorpio Automatic will be like.
Old 27th July 2014, 03:25   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
I think people are smart enough to understand that AT variants are going to cost more then MT. If Maruti offers an AT that is around 8-9, how come it does not become VFM? Only if it is offered around the price range of MT, is it VFM?

I feel the overwhelming reason could be the Fuel Efficiency factor, which the Indian market is very sensitive to. May be a petrol automatic could be a dampener for Indian buyers. Diesel Automatic ..? Technology Readiness and overall cost could be decisive factors.
Agree to some extent, but am sure those same smart enough people realize that ATs give lower FE too.

That's precisely why I was hoping the Mobilio, with it's better engine and FE for MT, and the it's AT being a CVT, and not a torque converter, which is further good for FE, would have provided the AT (CVT) option, but alas, that was not to be.

With news of AVN making a comeback after some time, can Honda provide the CVT too, given that 'the hardware is ready'?

Maybe by the time of RS launch in September?
Hvt77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 20:23   #321
BHPian

My two bits about the Mobilio.
I have been waiting for the Mobilio to launch as i am looking for a car for us i.e a family of 4 and my parents.
Went with the wife and 2 kids to see and test drive both vehicles on the same day. We visited Dakshin Honda and RNS Motors on Hosur Road, Bangalore.
The Mobilio first- a good sized crowd at the dealers with people swarming over the car and you had to wait your turn to get a chance of checking out the seating!! All of us liked the external appearance- especially my son. It looks rather large and like the Innova. Front seats were comfortable enough but the front fascia is pathetic- looks worthy of the nano or Maruti 800 and not a 11 lakh car!! The so called USB adaptor is a 10 rupee connector hanging loose from a wire! Ridiculous
Second row also felt reasonably comfortable with good leg room. However the seat is quite narrow- if and my wife tried to sit with our 8 year old in between its a snug fit- somehow don't see 3 adults being very comfortable.
The 3rd row is a breeze to get into but pretty bad once you are there. Uncomfortable seating position with really no thigh support. The speakers are also right next to you.
Next went for a test drive after a 20 minute wait. Test drive was in the top line petrol model but is limited to less than 1 km along the service road- very inadequate. Apparently Honda have too many people wanting a test drive. The car drives well and the steering wheel feels really good. Was chatting to the salesperson who told me the top line petrol model is 12.7 lakhs on the road in Bangalore- i was shocked!!! The printed pricing sheet lists it at 11.14 lakhs- had to show it to the salesperson to confirm after which he promptly retracted his previous statement. Overall not a very confidence inspiring test drive.

Promptly drove down to RNS motors to test drive the Ertiga on the same day. Reached there by 5:15pm and met the very helpful Mr Annaiya who has shown me the Ertiga twice before!! Certainly no crowds at RNS motors and we got to test drive the Zxi almost immediately. My wife's first comments as soon as she tried the second row seats was how much more comfortable they were. The kids were in the third row and very happy with the arm rest, seatbelts etc. The test drive in a 19,500km car itself was perfectly adequate and felt no way inferior to the Honda which had done 169 km. The entire experience and appearance of the front fascia was of a completely different segment from the Honda.
Finally the pricing- Zxi on the road with alloy wheels is Rs 9.22 lakhs- a whole 2 lakhs less than the Mobilio for a much more comfortable and tried and tested vehicle.
We went ahead and paid a booking amount.
Hope to receive the car before the end of the week!!
As an aside most of the discussion i overheard at the Honda showroom appeared to be about people comparing the Mobilio to the Innova- unfavourably so.
Mods- i am posting an almost identical post in the Ertiga vs Mobilio poll thread- please delete it from either place if you feel it breaks any rules.
rudraksh2005 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 21:54   #322
BHPian

Unlike other Honda products review threads, fellow BHPians are reporting cancellation/choosing other products. Hope Honda will introspect and do the needful to make Mobilio competitive.
Old 28th July 2014, 06:34   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Unlike other Honda products review threads, fellow BHPians are reporting cancellation/choosing other products. Hope Honda will introspect and do the needful to make Mobilio competitive.
Really worrisome news, hope Honda is listening!

Btw, the guys who pre-booked, have you got the Mobilio yet? Or the ones who have booked after launch, what delivery timelines are you being given, and for which variant?
Old 28th July 2014, 10:41   #324
BHPian

Honda is doing it again. They increased the sales of i20 by charging premium on Jazz. It made the i20 look vfm.
I will not be surprised to see Ertiga sales numbers climbing. They are evidently comparing themselves with Innova and priced it accordingly.
Shame Honda, first you are trying to sell 3 brands with identical face and interiors and even after it unable to position properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
sudeep.pandya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 10:52   #325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
I will not be surprised to see Ertiga sales numbers climbing. They are evidently comparing themselves with Innova and priced it accordingly.

Shame Honda, first you are trying to sell 3 brands with identical face and interiors and even after it unable to position properly.
Spot-On. Honda is not seeing the Ertiga as a competitor. For Honda the competitor is Innova. I remember people bashing Maruti when they did the same face to the Swift and Dzire (face lift). Good that they gave Ertiga a different face.

Ertiga will sell well until the Mobilio gets a price cut, till then Maruti can enjoy. I am expecting a refresh to the Ertiga.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:06   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
In more news....the upcoming scorpio referesh.
Interesting!!! Please share the details
Old 28th July 2014, 11:08   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Spot-On. Honda is not seeing the Ertiga as a competitor. For Honda the competitor is Innova. I remember people bashing Maruti when they did the same face to the Swift and Dzire (face lift). Good that they gave Ertiga a different face.

Ertiga will sell well until the Mobilio gets a price cut, till then Maruti can enjoy. I am expecting a refresh to the Ertiga.

Anurag.
For an informed buyer, Mobilio will be competing with Ertiga. But there are lot of uninformed buyers who just look into the badge, number of seats and price. For them, Mobilio will compete with Innova too. So, IMO, the sales of Ertiga as well as Innova will be affected by Mobilio.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:15   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Even a price cut may not help. We have seen that with the Jazz, and also recently with the Fiesta.

I feel Mobilio competing with the Innova is quite a flawed strategy. Remember what happened to the Kizashi. Suzuki wanted to sell it in the space of Camry and Passat, but in reality it was more like a competitor to Corolla and Jetta.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:42   #329
Senior - BHPian

Honda Mobilio Receives 5,800 bookings; Expect a Waiting Period

Link to the article:
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-mobi...source=taboola
Old 28th July 2014, 11:49   #330
BHPian

My verdict on the Mobilio!

Saw the mobilio in flesh at Inorbit mall, Hyderabad.

Though the dash is pretty basic, it looks decent. The front row seats are decent as well,

It is beyond that the problem starts, The second row seats, though spacious are n't comfortable. They lack proper under-thigh support, which could be a problem on long drives. The floor being high could be a reason for this.

The second row folds neatly on the press of a lever to open way for the third row occupants.

The third row does not feel claustrophobic (I am claustrophobic!) due to the ample window opening. Leg room is limited, but still manageable.

However, the third row almost sits on the floor and hence no under-thigh support whatsoever. Use it only for kids or adults for a short trip.

Boot space is quite adequate with all rows up. The loading lip is quite low which is convenient to use.

The model which was exhibited had a fixed middle row and the seating offers decent legroom for the third row at this setup (limited, but decent)

Overall, I was pretty dissatisfied with the car overall as it is not well packaged and I feel that vertical space is mismanaged, which could have created an altogether different experience otherwise.
dheepak10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks