Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:04   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

All car speedometers are calibrated to show slightly higher speed than actual. One of the reasons is to provide some margin of error to driver while maintaining speed limits. Exceeding the limit on speedometer by couple of km/h for short while will not result in speeding ticket due to this.

With reduced pressure, the only guess that I can make is that the wheel diameter reduced leading to more rotations of wheel per unit distance, thus affecting speedometer readings as well. The sensor for speedometer is located around gearbox if I remember right. Experts can shed more light.

EDIT: Just realised that more rotations per unit distance should lead to more reading of speedometer. So my original reasoning seems to be incorrect.

Last edited by AkMar : 3rd May 2022 at 11:05.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 15:44   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
From the very beginning of my ownership of this car, I've found that the speed recorded by the vehicle is usually about 10 Km/h higher than what's recorded by Mobile navigation (GPS).
I have been intrigued by this as well as my car shows a difference of about 7 kmph which remains almost constant at most speeds. I have changed the tire size, which the tables show would result in a 2% difference; so this seems to match with your observation.

As far as I could understand, the sensing mechanism is linked to the driveshaft and translated based on the design tire size to reflect the speed. So, while the tire size will make a difference, the tire pressure shouldn't - not sure if that small a change in tire pressure will significantly alter the tire size.

You may need to post this query in the technical section - this thread is inhabited by only a few of us still owning a Xcent and I am not sure if any of us are auto experts - the gurus that lurk in the forum are unlikely to see your query here ! When you post your query there, I am hoping other car owners will share how much of a difference in speed readings are there in their cars. Somewhow 7-10 kmph difference seems rather excessive.
Secretariat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 17:32   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
BHPians, do you know how the cars measure speed ? I'm particularly interested about this Xcent. I will explain the behaviour that I see. From the very beginning of my ownership of this car, I've found that the speed recorded by the vehicle is usually about 10 Km/h higher than what's recorded by Mobile navigation (GPS). This discrepancy is most pronounced around 60+ Km/hr which is when I've some time to compare both the displays.
I think there is a government mandate to overstate speed. There were couple of threads here related to that. One that I could find below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ate-speed.html (Speedometer calibration: Government says that vehicle should overstate speed)

Another thread on the same lines.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...gps-speed.html (Difference in cruise control speed and Google Maps GPS speed?)

Last edited by padmrajravi : 3rd May 2022 at 17:36.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 14:41   #739
Senior - BHPian

Continuing with the history of niggles, now another one has cropped up in my Xcent. On one of the rear wheels the brake does not release fully. Though not used daily, the car is taken out for a spin at least once in 2 weeks. Initially I thought it may have jammed due to prolonged parking (15 days) but it was stationary for really longer periods than this in lockdown of 2020.
Old 18th November 2022, 15:41   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Continuing with the history of niggles, now another one has cropped up in my Xcent. On one of the rear wheels the brake does not release fully. Though not used daily, the car is taken out for a spin at least once in 2 weeks. Initially I thought it may have jammed due to prolonged parking (15 days) but it was stationary for really longer periods than this in lockdown of 2020.
This could be a jammed wheel cylinder. Hammering around the drum after removing the wheel may set it free. If not, then opening the drum and lubricating the pivots and changing the wheel cylinder will resolve the issue.

Just in case you don't follow this, do not set the parking brakes when parking for long durations. Just leave the car in 1st or reverse gear.

Regards,
Saket
Old 14th April 2023, 17:50   #741
BHPian

Maintenance at 160,000 kms

Not sure if there are any Xcent owners left in this forum, but posting the preventive maintenance I did at the 160,000 kms mark. Mine is a Petrol SX(O) AT from Aug 2014.

Repeated the preventive maintenance done at 90/100 K kms mark. Replaced all rubber hoses, timing chain/tensioner and water pump again. Changed the steering rack for the first time. Changed the AT oil for the second time although it has run only 60K since I last changed it. I could have run another 10-20 K kms with the old oil, but I changed it early since I might as well "enjoy" the new oil as long as I keep the car rather than doing it at the fag end of ownership ! I planned to change brake pads as well, as it has run some 40 K kms but they looked in very good shape and I deferred doing it. Restricted to bleeding and brake oil change.

Damages were Rs 60,000. Major items of expenditure were

AT Oil change - Rs 13400
Steering Rack - Rs 6500
Rubber hoses and belts -Rs 6500
Timing chain & Tensioner - Rs 4200
Hub assembly on rear wheel - Rs 3000
Water Pump - Rs 2000
AC maintenance - Rs 3200

The AC is a perennial source of trouble. There is choking somewhere but I didn't want to get the dashboard opened and the evaporator coil cleaned again. Cleaned the expansion valve sitting on top of it, did a bit of other stuff and refilled gas.

It's the last bit of preventive maintenance I will be doing. The car should be good to go for another 30/40 K kms more without doing much more. It has thus far been trouble free and not once has it let me down on the road despite going all over the country. Some rattles and squeaks are starting, but nothing of any significance.

So what of the future ? I still don't have an urge to buy a new car. My ideal requirements are a compact sedan with a TC. There isn't any car like that anymore, so why change. The only problem is the AC - I am now almost driving a non AC car and at some point it is going to be not worth it. I suppose , somewhere near the 200,000 km mark is when I will say bye.

This forum has evangelised buying a more expensive car and keeping it for a long time. I am willing to change it to buying a less expensive car, spending freely on preventive maintenance, keeping it for a long time and spending the money saved on doing lots of trips !!
Secretariat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:20   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

Not sure if there are any Xcent owners left in this forum, but posting the preventive maintenance I did at the 160,000 kms mark. Mine is a Petrol SX(O) AT from Aug 2014.
I don't think many in the forum have moved on from Xcent. Anyway, I plan to keep mine till the government does not allow me to run it. My use case needs a small sedan with a TC or CVT and there is nothing like Xcent in the market now.

I need to do some preventive maintenence on mine as well. Can you tell me what all were changed under 'rubber hoses and belts' category?

Last edited by padmrajravi : 14th April 2023 at 19:26.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 08:28   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Can you tell me what all were changed under 'rubber hoses and belts' category?
Lower & Upper Radiator hoses (25415B4100 & 25414B4100), Filler Neck and Hose assembly - Rad (25327B4000), Gasket - Engine (2145133A02), Water Hose (2547003000), Gasket Rocket Cover (2244103050), Engine Belt (Ribbed Belt V) (2521203000), Wiper Blades ! . Part numbers are in parenthesis. Costs I quoted include labour costs and I noted that for most of these, the labour cost was more than the part cost.
Secretariat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 14:32   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Good preventive maintenance.

I would suggest you get the AC leak sorted out at HASS if that involves removing the dashboard. They are competent enough to do a very good job without inducing any rattles. You can change both the Heater core and the Evaporator core since the dash is anyways opened.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 14:48   #745
BHPian

Quote:
The only problem is the AC - I am now almost driving a non AC car and at some
I own a 2015 Xcent. It has run 49K now. AC was a constant trouble for me. This is mentioned in earlier posts.

At some point, I stopped using ACC completely. With this, it does not have too many issues. AC is not a chiller, but definitely manageable.
Old 20th April 2023, 14:58   #746
BHPian

Good to see people using an Xcent for so many miles! I've had a very pleasant experience with my SX petrol manual thus far and I plan to keep my 7.5 year old for another year or so. No major troubles thus far, although I hate the heavy steering and clutch. Performance has been so-so but on the highways it can really munch miles!
automowheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 16:42   #747

Quote:
Your North East trip in 2015 I think was what gave me confidence to go for this car. Mine is a Oct 2015 car, run ~ 40k, but as you said, no issues given by the car except the cooling.

Have been killing the itch of buying a new car as nothing matches the peace of mind and value that this car still provides.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th April 2023 at 17:44. Reason: Quote trimmed.
WheelD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 19:59   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelD View Post
Have been killing the itch of buying a new car as nothing matches the peace of mind and value that this car still provides.
Glad to hear that you car has been trouble free and has served you well. Interesting that there are at least a handful of us who are keeping the car for a long time. Yes, there is still great value - for what we bought it for in 2014/15, we probably won't even get a Wagon R today, given the absurd price inflation in cars in recent years !!
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 14:41   #749
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I recently sold my 2014 Xcent after nine years. As I am a newbie out here, I thought I should share a gripe with regards to Shreenath Motors Jogeshwari service centre. I had given my car for servicing in 2017 and got the car back later in the evening. I did the usual inspection of the car and upon being satisfied, paid my dues and drove back home. Only once I returned home did I notice that the key remote looked in tatters!! The rubber casing was entirely worn out. I hadn't looked at the key while taking possession of the car. Only once I enquired the cost of a new remote did I understand the game played on me! I gave a zero rating and complained, but nothing came off it. I never took my car back to Shreenath Motors after that and from then on went to Modi Hyundai in Goregaon.
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 15:41   #750
BHPian

Quote:

Mine is June 2014 S Petrol. I intend to keep it as long as I can. I am planning to fix suspension and change of tyre.

To be frank, as a person who TD cars lately, finding a worth replacement for Xcent was tough. Xcent was a VFM choice but off late VFM is missing from the entry level CS/Hatchback cars. TD'ed Exter, Punch and a lot more only to be disappointed because a well rounded package cost a bomb. After these disappointing TD, planned to scout for used Honda City and still searching for clean example in my City.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks