Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2024, 16:12   #7306
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitjain View Post
The a/c is bad, especially for North Indian summer and there is nothing you can do about it. I had 4th Gen tried the following things.
1. Gas top up - didn’t work
2. Filter clean - didn’t work
3. Condenser clean - didn’t work
4. High pressure switch setting - didn’t work
5. Heat reflective film on windshield - still didn’t work
6. Changed compressor - under warranty - no use

Finally sold the car - only option left that too within warranty.
Has word with several service advisors and they said there is nothing much they can do and ac is weak. They carry about the above things just to satisfy the customer, but when inherently ac is weak there is not much they can do.

3rd Gen honda city ac was a chiller. Has owned that as well.

Finally sold after doing only 32000km.
Hi,

When my 4th Gen Honda City had alternator issues and we were waiting for parts from Noida, I ended up using my Polo as the main car for a week. The contrast in air conditioning between my 2017 1.2L Petrol Polo and my 2016 4th Gen Honda City was striking. The Polo's AC was super effective, even in hot conditions, while the City's felt lacking. After reading your post, I'm thinking maybe the City's AC is indeed really weak.

Cheers,
Dev
Old 20th May 2024, 21:36   #7307
BHPian

Today morning I experienced a momentary loss of power on my 4th gen Honda City diesel – engine went to idle even as I was pressing the accelerator. An amber "PGM-FI" light glowed on the instrument cluster.

I made a snap decision to pull over to the side and go get my other car (and get somebody from home to get this towed) before I remembered that my other car's already in the workshop (routine service).

However, the next moment the light disappeared and the power was back on as if nothing had happened. All of this happened within a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. The rest of the trip was uneventful. And my return trip back home in the evening was also uneventful.

At the time of the incident, I was barely 200 m away from home on my way to my office. The blue light (the one which goes way after the engine has sufficiently warmed up) was still on when this happened, but both the blue light and the PGM-FI light turned off at the same time. I was doing about 50-60 km/h and was in 3rd gear, and was accelerating.

There were more than 3 quarters of fuel left in the tank.

Regarding the blue light in the instrument cluster, it usually has a tendency to stay on until I'm about half a kilometer away from home; it does not matter how long I idle after start, it would only go once I drive about half a kilometer. Speaking of which, I also have a tendency to idle for a couple of minutes immediately after starting the engine – the time to verify I have everything I need for the day, connect my phone to the car audio, and picking out what to play. Would this long idling cause any problem over the long term?

Anyway, coming back to the issue at hand, I did search for this issue in the older posts here on Team-BHP, and have found some (mostly focused on the Amaze):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
During the slow heavy clutch driving, the PGM-FI LED on the dashboard turned on and stayed that way for the entire length of the 12 kms journey. I also experienced loss of power, the vehicle wasn't really picking up, it was slowly limbering to pick up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
My instrument cluster shows PGM-FI light sometimes.
Posts related to the above have revolved around water entering the engine. Although it's been generally raining here, I haven't driven through any flooded areas. I did give it a thorough wash yesterday evening though. A major service was done in March this year.

This car is a little over 9 years old. Although it's a diesel, our running has been low and the car has only covered a little over 55,000 km till now.
Old 21st May 2024, 11:41   #7308

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Have faced this a couple of times on a loaded car on highways with especially the rear passengers complaining about feeling hot.
The only thing that made a positive difference to the cooling was setting the temperature dial to "Lo" with the AC blower at a higher speed and turning the airflow to recirculation mode.

Even with the AC settings at Lo, the AC doesn't do justice. It gets pretty annoying that even after I drive the car for nearly 30mins, the car still doesn't cool down and just blows moderately cold air.
Old 27th May 2024, 00:24   #7309

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post

Called a technician and he advised to switch off AC, audio etc and drive gradually towards a service center. He said the battery is draining again and again and it could be due to alterNow I'm left wondering the potential causes:
1. Could it be rodent damage, despite the brief duration of parking and the car's operational status?
2. Is the battery at fault, despite no prior indications of issues during the last service?
3. Might it be an alternator malfunction or a more intricate problem?

I would greatly appreciate any insights or expertise on this matter to facilitate clearer communication with the service center staff.

Hello Dev, sorry for the late response,

I just came across your query. I hope the issue has been sorted already.

To share a similar experience I had with my 2015 Honda City Petrol MT. last year in the month of March, as i was driving around the city completing a few chores with my cousin, I parked the car for a brief 10 mins and later when I tried starting her up, the dashboard lights flickered but did not turn on. Every attempt the lights got dimmer until nothing worked at all. Later we tried to push start it but due to traffic and space restrictions, could not, got a mechanic to jumpstart it. He told us the battery is probably dead and it just so happens for no reason.

While driving towards the battery shop the ABS light came on couple times and so did the steering light. Each time the steering light came on I could feel the steering get much tighter and difficult to turn. Got the battery replaced and did not have any lights or other issues at all. Running fine since then.

So for anyone that sees the same signs on their City in future, get your battery checked.

REGARDS,
SAN.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2024 at 11:27. Reason: Spacing and formatting for readability
S.A.N. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 22:45   #7310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.N. View Post
Hello Dev, sorry for the late response,

I just came across your query. I hope the issue has been sorted already.

To share a similar experience I had with my 2015 Honda City Petrol MT. last year in the month of March, as i was driving around the city completing a few chores with my cousin, I parked the car for a brief 10 mins and later when I tried starting her up, the dashboard lights flickered but did not turn on. Every attempt the lights got dimmer until nothing worked at all. Later we tried to push start it but due to traffic and space restrictions, could not, got a mechanic to jumpstart it. He told us the battery is probably dead and it just so happens for no reason.

While driving towards the battery shop the ABS light came on couple times and so did the steering light. Each time the steering light came on I could feel the steering get much tighter and difficult to turn. Got the battery replaced and did not have any lights or other issues at all. Running fine since then.

So for anyone that sees the same signs on their City in future, get your battery checked.

REGARDS,
SAN.
Thanks SAN for sharing your experience. Though it looks similar, in my case it was the alternator which had gone faulty and because of that the battery was getting drained again and again (resulting in same situation as above). ASC tried a new battery and the problem didn't go away as in your case. Finally we changed alternator and the car is still running fine on old battery itself.

Regards
Dev

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2024 at 11:28. Reason: Spacing and formatting quoted post for readability
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 08:24   #7311

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
9. For the road noise and wind noise, you can start with changing tires, but ultimately you would need to do entire Dampening for the car, a topic for another day.
Hi,

I was wondering if all the 4th gens had back door locks which cannot be unlocked manually. This is a pain for the back seat passengers to rely on the driver to unlock the back doors everytime it needs to be opened.

Is this a safety feature? Or is it just my car which has this problem?

The service centers have repeatedly mentioned it is a safety feature, but it seems very dumb to have that feature like this for adults when there are child locks available already for children to not unlock by mistake.

Is this common across the 4th gens?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2024 at 11:25. Reason: Quote tags fixed + spacing for readability
revvingbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 11:51   #7312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvingbeast View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if all the 4th gens had back door locks which cannot be unlocked manually....

Is this common across the 4th gens?
I have double checked and confirm that the above is not true.

The rear doors can be manually unlocked (and locked) using the turnable plastic knob above the door pull lever in the 4th gen City.

The above action is independent of whether the driver has central locked (or unlocked) all the doors.

So there is a manual locking and unlocking on all doors.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2024 at 11:52. Reason: Minor spacing and formatting
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 14:07   #7313

Quote:
So there is a manual locking and unlocking on all doors.
Thankyou for the confirmation. I'll take this problem with the officials of some other service center.
Old 19th June 2024, 11:34   #7314

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that the Honda City is still the best you can get in the C2 segment in every aspect, no other car even comes close to it (my personal honest view, no offence). It is like the 'Innova' of C2 segment cars.
Hi,
My Honda city back door cannot be unlocked manually at any given point of time. The car simply doesn't unlock once it gets automatically locked. Everytime I ask the service center, they keep saying it is a safety feature. It doesn't make sense at all since there is already the option of child lock. Have you faced this issue in the 4th gen?
Old 19th June 2024, 12:03   #7315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvingbeast View Post
Hi,
My Honda city back door cannot be unlocked manually at any given point of time.
This is not the standard behavior. All doors can be manually unlocked all the time
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 15:10   #7316

Quote:
This is not the standard behavior. All doors can be manually unlocked all the time
Hi, an update on the communication with Honda, they have told they will not be able to do anything regarding the lock system, so looks like they are asking us to live with it.

We are planning to check the matter with some other local car service shops

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th June 2024 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks