Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2017, 15:16   #1171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Mine unfortunately isn't. The steering feels quite heavy at normal conditions, but once I cross 4000 RPMs, it suddenly becomes lighter for the rest of the duration.

Another Help Needed :

I have installed the Bosch Dual horns (sounding similar to that of Skoda). However, often when I press the horn, only one of the 2 sounds. I had replaced the horns thinking about a defective piece, but the problem resurfaced again after some days. Can the issue be about the fuse and wiring capabilities?
It's normal. Feels heavy at low speeds and super light later on. Should have been the opposite . It's light in a weird way. I felt it to be vague and you dont feel confident doing high speeds. Maybe they did that on purpose .

As for the horn, I installed Hella (windtone I think). It's a dual horn and didnt have any issues. Could be the fuse. Make sure you dont install it low to the ground. Rain will definitely play spoilsport here.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 19:46   #1172
BHPian

Our less than two-year old Grand i10 Asta (O) petrol has had its share of niggles and issues but two of them always gave us headache.

The first one being bad clutch which made tak-tak noise on releasing clutch (along with all sorts of thuds, springs and mechanical noises) which felt very uncomfortable in city traffic conditions as the car was very jerky and inconsistent in responding to driver's inputs. Occasionally, it would fight with the driver and get very hard, so hard that your left knee would start complaining after a short trip.

The other issue was with the AC tripping and making some weird hissing noise. On two different occasions, the AC had stopped working on its own and could only work post restarting the car!

So, after repeated visits to HASS, my son who drives the car, decided to write to Hyundai again and this time, he was very stern and demanded Hyundai to own the issues and have them fixed. After a few days time, Hyundai regional office in Delhi responded and requested us to bring the car to Deep Hyundai again for allowing them to have another look at the car and get it fixed. Deep Hyundai, Peeragarhi, New Delhi has been servicing our car but failed to fix the reported issues (basically, they gave us some real hard times with regards to these two issues - long story and rant - for some other time).

Today, we took the car to Deep Hyundai service center, Mangolpuri, New Delhi (another workshop managed by Deep Hyundai) and one of their service GMs was already waiting for us to check the issues. He promptly got into the action and immediately acknowledged clutch hardness and juddering. He asked one of their senior technicians to check the clutch and told him to do the needful. Next was the AC tripping and making that hissing noise. He called for his trusted AC technician who checked it and confirmed that the issue is standard in all Grand i10s and Xcents (yes, that's right as they offered us to check it on the other Grand i10 which we did and found the same noise in two different cars). According to them, the AC is being designed in this manner but had no idea about the reason. Anyway, we could have done nothing since the issue (or feature as Hyundai likes to call it ). So, it came down to why AC stopped working on couple of occasions to which they suspected AC thermostat to be the culprit. So we left the car there and they were kind enough to give my son a loaner car (a Hyundai i10). By evening time, they informed us the car had been fixed and they had to replace certain clutch parts and AC thermostat. Now, the car is back and the changes are very much prominent. The clutch is super smooth with no tak-tak noise, no juddering and no other weird noises. Feels as good as new! We so wish Hyundai had taken care of it earlier. The AC's hissing noise is still present, which I guess is normal but we are hoping that the tripping issue wouldn't come back. They have done their part, apparently.

I have noticed that a few members have also reported similar tak-tak clutch noise and I hope this update might help them to have those issues fixed. I have attached the work copy for readers' reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-grand-i10.jpg  

Old 28th September 2017, 20:52   #1173
BHPian

Hi,
I own a Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol purchased in April-2016, manufactured in March-2016.

Problem 1:
---------------
I noticed a weird problem some days ago.
I had parked my car in a multi-level parking.

When I started my car to exit the parking, I noticed that the engine light was flashing.
It flashed for about 15-20 seconds and then went off all by itself.
I did not notice any problem with my car while driving pre or post parking.

Problem 2:
--------------
I usually take out my car after a few days as we use it less frequently.
Since past 2-3 times, I have noticed that whenever I start my car after a few days, a weird noise emits from the engine compartment.
The noise is as if a paper or cloth is stuck and is flapping in air
I have neither checked myself nor have I got it checked from a mechanic.

What could be the issues?
Old 10th October 2017, 15:03   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Our less than two-year old Grand i10 Asta (O) petrol has had its share of niggles and issues but two of them always gave us headache.
I have faced both the issues with my G i10.

For the clutch, I got the full clutch assembly replaced under warranty. Which was done after multiple visits and much persuasion.

I observe that the AC trips off if the car is driven for long hours (non-stop) at highway speeds and continuous acceleration (for overtakes etc.). The HASS was clueless about this issue. I read at few places that this is done intentionally so as to provide more power to the engine.
Any comments welcome...

Apart from this the AC is chiller.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:56   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
I have faced both the issues with my G i10.

For the clutch, I got the full clutch assembly replaced under warranty. Which was done after multiple visits and much persuasion.

I observe that the AC trips off if the car is driven for long hours (non-stop) at highway speeds and continuous acceleration (for overtakes etc.). The HASS was clueless about this issue. I read at few places that this is done intentionally so as to provide more power to the engine.
Any comments welcome...

Apart from this the AC is chiller.
If you don't mind, can you share how long has it been since your car's clutch assembly was replaced? And how does it perform now? Any pending issues? Thanks.

The AC on our car trips and makes that hissing noise as long as you increase the RPMs, even when the car is standing still. It would do just fine if you don't accelerate but the moment you put your foot on the A pedal and push RPMs, the AC would start tripping along with the noise, regardless of car moving or not. Per Hyundai, this is how the car is designed (for unknown reasons). Though the AC hasn't stopped working post out last visit, the tripping and hissing noise (issue, if we can call it) is still pretty much present.

Since we also own Creta diesel (auto), we did check it for the similar characteristics but found none. So I'm assuming the issue is only with Grand i10 and Xcents.
Old 10th October 2017, 18:05   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't mind, can you share how long has it been since your car's clutch assembly was replaced? And how does it perform now? Any pending issues? Thanks.
The clutch assembly was replaced about after 1 year of owning the car...it has been more than an year now and everything is fine with the clutch. Car is used daily for ~40km.

AC is not the way you described. It's chiller and it's smooth. Makes fan noise at speed 3-4. Otherwise everything is alright. Please get your AC checked at some other HASS, maybe.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:07   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
The AC on our car trips and makes that hissingnoise as long as you increase the RPMs, even when the car is standing still. It would do just fine if you don't accelerate but the moment you put your foot on the A pedal and push RPMs, the AC would start tripping along with the noise, regardless of car moving or not. Per Hyundai, this is how the car is designed (for unknown reasons). Though the AC hasn't stopped working post out last visit, the tripping and hissing noise (issue, if we can call it) is still pretty much present.

Since we also own Creta diesel (auto), we did check it for the similar characteristics but found none. So I'm assuming the issue is only with Grand i10 and Xcents.
Quote:

The other issue was with the AC tripping and making some weird hissing noise. On two different occasions, the AC had stopped working on its own and could only work post restarting the car!

So, after repeated visits to HASS, my son who drives the car, decided to write to Hyundai again and this time, he was very stern and demanded Hyundai to own the issues and have them fixed. After a few days time, Hyundai regional office in Delhi responded and requested us to bring the car to Deep Hyundai again for allowing them to have another look at the car and get it fixed. Deep Hyundai, Peeragarhi, New Delhi has been servicing our car but failed to fix the reported issues (basically, they gave us some real hard times with regards to these two issues - long story and rant - for some other time).

Today, we took the car to Deep Hyundai service center, Mangolpuri, New Delhi (another workshop managed by Deep Hyundai) and one of their service GMs was already waiting for us to check the issues. He promptly got into the action and immediately acknowledged clutch hardness and juddering. He asked one of their senior technicians to check the clutch and told him to do the needful. Next was the AC tripping and making that hissing noise. He called for his trusted AC technician who checked it and confirmed that the issue is standard in all Grand i10s and Xcents (yes, that's right as they offered us to check it on the other Grand i10 which we did and found the same noise in two different cars). According to them, the AC is being designed in this manner but had no idea about the reason. Anyway, we could have done nothing since the issue (or feature as Hyundai likes to call it ). So, it came down to why AC stopped working on couple of occasions to which they suspected AC thermostat to be the culprit. So we left the car there and they were kind enough to give my son a loaner car (a Hyundai i10). By evening time, they informed us the car had been fixed and they had to replace certain clutch parts and AC thermostat. Now, the car is back and the changes are very much prominent. The clutch is super smooth with no tak-tak noise, no juddering and no other weird noises. Feels as good as new! We so wish Hyundai had taken care of it earlier. The AC's hissing noise is still present, which I guess is normal but we are hoping that the tripping issue wouldn't come back. They have done their part, apparently.
Even I have been having similar problems with my 3 and half year old Grand i10 asta Crdi. The hissing noise from ac was present since almost 1 and half years but it used to go after regular car service at HASS. But over the last 6 months the HVAC used to regularly lose the cooling power as well as the air flow from the ac vents after using it for some half an hour. It used to become normal if I switch off the ac for about five minutes or so. I had shown it to HASS in Mysore (Star Hyundai) on two occasions and they were not able to pinpoint the cause. They were of the opinion they might have to open the dashboard to 'investigate' which is almost 5 to 6k worth of HASS labour charges plus charges for anything that they replace. So I defered it for the time being and was using the ac by intermittently switching it on and off. During this time I also noticed that sometimes ice particles were coming out of the ac vents. I even had made multiple road trips during this time and was somehow managing with the faulty ac.

Due to my academic commitments I was posted in Bangalore for three months and my car had reached the 60k mark. Just the day before I was going to take it to service I hit a pothole following which the car was making a lot of noise whenever I was driving in 1st and 2nd gear. The noise used to progressively come down in the following gears.

I anyways took the car to Blue Hyundai, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru for the 60k service, the sound from the car post hitting the pot hole and the ac issues.

The sound from car was diagnosed to be a bent radiator fan support frame which was touching the engine and thus the noise.

60k service was done i.e. the fluid changes etc. The ac issues according to the SA was due to refrigerant (r143a) leakage from the system. I asked him where could the possible leakage be from for which he did not have a conclusive reply. He told he can replace the hose pipes and certain other items and see whether it works normally or no. He also quoted 12k plus labour charges for the same. I did not want to get it repaired there because it was not a conclusive diagnosis and the rates quoted were exorbitant. I was not convinced either. I asked him to to refill the gas as a temporary solution.

Right after the service the noise due to the bent support frame had gone and the ac was chilling the cabin well. But there was a new problem that I noticed. There was this really 'oily' kind of a smell that used to emanate from the ac vents whenever I switched on the ac but the cooling was effective nor was there any tripping of the ac. I was happy for a few days which was short lived. I had not driven the car for a few days due to certain commitments in my hometown. When I returned back and switched on the ac there was absolutely no cooling and the oily smell which was there before had increased even more.

I did a quick search in Team-Bhp for independent garages whose core competency is in ac repair. I found that there is this place called Aditya A/c in Rajaji nagar. Incidentally it is located right opposite to Blue Hyundai Rajajinagar where I had got my 60k service and radiator frame replacement from.

The SA+mechanic+all-in-all of the garage switched on my car, connected the gauge for checking the refrigerant pressure and found out that the refrigerant is absolutely zero in the system which was a no brainer. I told him about the smell that emanates from ac vents. He immediately sat inside my car and had a good sniff of the smell. He immediately made a diagnosis of a busted evaporator coil. He told me that it's a common issue among the newer Hyundais, more commonly for the Verna and i20s. He showed me a few examples for other busted evaporator coils from other cars he has previously worked on. I was somehow convinced with his diagnosis(my gut feeling said so).

He quoted a price of 10k inclusive of all labour charges and he told he will be using original Hyundai spare part ( he showed me other examples of evaporator coils that he had changed in other Hyundais-had the Hyundai label and all). I agreed on the price and he started removing the dashboard piece by piece. Over a period of about five to six hours he replaced the evaporator coil and refilled the refrigerant.

I have driven the car for a week post the repair. Ac seems to be working fine. No odd smells/ no hissing noise/ No tripping.The ac is also chilling the cabin pretty good. Touchwood.

I am hoping that the issue doesn't recur again. What I have come to understand with this whole grand i10 ac fiasco is the inherent design of the ac (read the evaporator coil and other parts) is at fault which makes the ac fail after about two to three years.

Hope Hyundai notes this and makes the required changes in their future cars. I also wish the HASS are more competent in correctly finding the fault behind various problems that our cars have got and rectifying these issues apart from just doing the regular Oli change and car wash.

Regards
Fazonater1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Fazonater, my absolute bad here. Has the problem been rectified? I will be visiting the service center tomorrow. If the issue is not rectified I can check with them about the problem.

Regards
Nikhil
Sir I have got it rectified atlast. I have written the details in my previous post.

Thank you.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd October 2017 at 15:26. Reason: merging back to back posts
fazonater1911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 13:41   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Even I have been having similar problems with my 3 and half year old Grand i10 asta Crdi.
Thanks for the informative post. I'm glad your car doesn't have that irritating hissing noise anymore. I remember one of my friends too suggested me to have HASS remove the dashboard and get the evaporator coil checked but I was skeptical of Hyundai to leave scratches and other ugly marks on it, given their level of expertise . Now reading your post makes me realize that the issue indeed is with the coil and ac gas getting leaked. And yes, the issue is inherent with most of the Hyundai cars, particularly with Grands and Xcents. On our last visit to HASS, we happened to check couple of other Grands and they too had the same hissing noise. Per Hyundai, that is very normal and should not bother us in the future but I know it would create some issue later.

Our car has now completed two years which means the standard warranty is over. We have another two years of extended warranty left and not sure if these parts get covered in it. Is your car out of warranty? How long has it been since you got it fixed?
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:45   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the informative post. I'm glad your car doesn't have that irritating hissing noise anymore. I remember one of my friends too suggested me to have HASS remove the dashboard and get the evaporator coil checked but I was skeptical of Hyundai to leave scratches and other ugly marks on it, given their level of expertise . Now reading your post makes me realize that the issue indeed is with the coil and ac gas getting leaked. And yes, the issue is inherent with most of the Hyundai cars, particularly with Grands and Xcents. On our last visit to HASS, we happened to check couple of other Grands and they too had the same hissing noise. Per Hyundai, that is very normal and should not bother us in the future but I know it would create some issue later.

Our car has now completed two years which means the standard warranty is over. We have another two years of extended warranty left and not sure if these parts get covered in it. Is your car out of warranty? How long has it been since you got it fixed?
Yes the hissing noise is completely gone sir. I have asked my SAs' about the hissing noise atleast on two occasions but they never seemed to know anything about it. As per a more informed Team Bhp member in another post regarding ac issues, he had mentioned that the hissing noise is due to low refrigerant pressure and it trying to compensate for the low pressure, this the noise.

The expertise shown by the independent garage technician was superb compared to the people in HASS. Ofcourse there are few scratch marks caused due to the prying tools even by the independent technician other than that I felt his work was really good. I have always felt that the work done at Hyundai service centre is always superficial. They never have the patience nor expertise to check things about our cars apart from the regular oil change.

My car has been out of warranty since two years and I had not opted for the extended a two year warranty (my bad).My diesel grand i10 is from the first batch before they made slight variations in the variants and changed from the short stubby antenna to the long antenna (my car has the short one).The 60k service was done in the beginning of October '17. Mid-october, before the Diwali holidays I got the evaporator coil changed at the independent garage. So I would still say my car is still in the testing phase post change of the evaporator coil. I shall further update regarding this.

Regards
Fazonater1911
fazonater1911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:54   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Yes the hissing noise is completely gone sir. I have asked my SAs' about the hissing noise atleast on two occasions but they never seemed to know anything about it.
Glad. And yes, HASS folks usually are clueless when it comes to fixing any "out of book" issue. Regular service, oil/filter change are the only things they can do properly (or may be not)..

Quote:
As per a more informed Team Bhp member in another post regarding ac issues, he had mentioned that the hissing noise is due to low refrigerant pressure and it trying to compensate for the low pressure, this the noise.
This is what I had in my mind too and during one of our earlier visits, we had them check the gas level, which was super low, say 2 out of 10, and we thought this is it but the joy was short lived as the hissing noise was still present post topping up the ac gas.

Quote:
Ofcourse there are few scratch marks caused due to the prying tools
Honestly, this is THE thing which holds me back. Just can't stand dirty/damaged car interiors. We have three cars in our garage and all of them have close to brand new interiors.

Quote:
I have always felt that the work done at Hyundai service centre is always superficial. They never have the patience nor expertise to check things about our cars apart from the regular oil change.
You said it. Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
So I would still say my car is still in the testing phase post change of the evaporator coil. I shall further update regarding this.
I hope it stays this way. Good luck!
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 16:48   #1181
BHPian

Hi ,

I have been using Grand i 10 AT asta since last 3 years. Today i want to caution everyone about it's car key issue. The car has a smart key. Today the battery of the the car key got discharged and i had no option but to find a shop to replace the battery of the car key. The key has the normal key inside which can be used only to open the door , as the car has start/stop engine button , there is no way to crank the engine. I was lucky to be in my city and not away in some rural area which made things little easier. I thought of sharing this to alert all those who have it. Suggestions if any are welcome.
Old 8th November 2017, 17:15   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi ,

I have been using Grand i 10 AT asta since last 3 years. Today i want to caution everyone about it's car key issue. The car has a smart key. Today the battery of the the car key got discharged and i had no option but to find a shop to replace the battery of the car key. The key has the normal key inside which can be used only to open the door , as the car has start/stop engine button , there is no way to crank the engine. I was lucky to be in my city and not away in some rural area which made things little easier. I thought of sharing this to alert all those who have it. Suggestions if any are welcome.
Did you try starting the car by touching the key fob to the start/stop button and then starting the car by holding it there?

Smart keys are designed to work that way.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:28   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Did you try starting the car by touching the key fob to the start/stop button and then starting the car by holding it there?

Smart keys are designed to work that way.
Hi Sidzz ,

No , i did not have any idea of this manoeuvre. I shall check if it works as you have suggested.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:45   #1184
BHPian

Hello team,

I own the 2015 grand I 10 magna. The car has done about 6000 kms in 2 years and is basically the weekend/ backup car for the family. A week ago I did a 100 km trip and the brakes felt normal and the stopping distance was as expected. But yesterday when driving I have noticed that the initial bite on tapping the brake pedal was almost non existent. Also when I tried to check the same in a quiet environment, I heard a swish/ hiss noise as though air is being pumped out. The brakes work fine if I press the pedal between half and full. But the initial brake bite is definitely missing.

Took the car to mithali Hyundai in Mira road/ dahisar but on seeing the odometer the service associate was unwilling to take a test drive. Once I convinced him to do so in the name of safety, he did a 3 km test drive and said that the brakes are fine.

Also a visual inspection by me has revealed no broken brake lines or leaking fluids.

Any inputs please??.

Thanks
Neon

Last edited by Ne0N : 22nd November 2017 at 10:46.
Old 24th December 2017, 17:44   #1185
BHPian

i10 sportz: immobiliser locked. Help required

My mother has an i10 sportz and it was working fine till last night. The car is less than a year old. This morning a casual driver tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. My mother called in the breakdown service from Sundaram Motors and they said that the immobiliser was locked.

The battery is fine and they opined that this happens due to faulty remote keys sometimes and they recommended towing the car. My take is that even if the immobiliser is locked the service guys can come down with the laptop and reset it. Why tow it?

So the situation is that all service stations are closed for the next two days and there is nothing that can be done in the interim.

The spare key is a non remote one and that too won't start the car. So what are the options? And why would this happen? Faulty remote key? Low batteries in the remote? Any fixes?

Thanks in advance.

ps: My mother is 87 and i am scheduled to fly out tonight overseas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks