Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 17:46   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
wondering if it's ok to change now or use these for around 15/20K and then change.
Let me say first that yes, even though the Grand i10 has smaller tyres than what most people would prefer, still the optimum calibration of odometer/speedometer is in stock setup. The change in size of the tyre can result in an ever so slight variation of the tuning.

From what I know, it's still ok to upgrade to a slightly wider section tyre preferably keeping sidewall height the same. Also its a known fact that while wider section improves grip, it does lower fuel economy slightly and braking characteristics change too, alongwith the changes mentioned above. As far as your needs go, only you can know if its adequate or not. I know people who've done intrastate runs in a Santro with 13" 155 section tyres in ghat regions and they were happy with the drive (it surprised me too). In comparison 165 section 14" in a much longer and wider Grand would be far better. Hence my opinion is since you are getting a low buy-back for your old tyres you should keep them unless you are really unhappy with how they handle. Changing them at 20k makes little sense either since that's hardly 50% of its life and it would fetch even less by then. Change them only if you hate the way it feels or keep them till the estimated 40-50k life.
Old 24th September 2014, 22:31   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Last month, my brother in law purchased a Hyundai i10 Grand Sportz Petrol to fulfil the role of a second family runabout.

Like me, he also drives a Honda City petrol.

Yesterday I happened to drive the car (it has been raining here for last few days) and found the brakes to be excessively grabby and over sensitive. I mean, the brakes were not progressive and at the slightest pressure, they would just grab and almost lock the wheel, especially at slower speeds. I was wearing sandals and even removed them in order to get a better feel of the engagement point at the pedal. But even this was of little help. Due to the jerky braking, the other occupants inside the car were thinking I was doing this on purpose! Overall it was almost scary.

I later discussed this with my BIL and he agreed that even he found the brakes 'excessively powerful' and that the problem gets elevated whenever it rains. He had even reported the problem to the SVC but they said it was not a problem and common to all i10 Grands because this car had "Hydraulic Disk Brakes" for more effective braking!

They reassured him that over time the brake pads will break in and this effect will reduce and also once he keeps driving the car, he will get used to this braking style and will no longer notice this as an anomaly!

But, the fact is he had already covered 1900kms and the problem is still there!

Now my questions:
  • Why do the brakes get grabbier during rainy weather? Doesn't matter whether the roads are actually wet or dry.
  • Have any of the owners here also faced this problem?
  • Does this effect reduce over time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
This issue of grabby brakes at slow speed is definitely a problem with Gi10. Me too reported this issue to HASS, but they said it's the same with all grands and since poor braking was an issue with i20, the company has rectified it and provided strong brakes on gi10 & accent. Though i was not satisfied with this response, but there was nothing else i could do, except to be cautious with my driving.

At higher speeds the brakes are just fantastic, it's only at crawling speeds that the brakes grab at the slightest pressure, which is scary.
Didn't noticed any difference in behaviour during rains. My car has now run over 3700Km's, the brakes are still grabby, but i face the grabbing issue lesser, as i have now modified my driving style. My driving is a bit less sharper now (with the grand) in city driving cycle, which is a personal loss but a public gain.
Well i had got my Gi10 in end of March (March 28th to be precise) and I have driven around 8900kms to date. I had felt the grabby brakes right from the beginning but by the time I had driven around 1 to 1.5k kms in the Gi10 my right foot had got adjusted to the amount I press the brake pedal and I have got used to driving without actually causing a jerk. I have not felt that this effect increases in wet conditions(my personal opinion).

To the third question by Vikash whether this effect reduces as the brakes break-in, my opinion is it would not reduce so much as time passes by. This is because occasionally when my friends drive my car for the first time even they make the car all jerky making the occupants uncomfortable. This happened recently when the car was about 7k kms old one of my friend wanted to test drive my car and the same issue happened.

So I guess you have to just get a bit used to the brakes in this car and everything will be fine.
Old 24th September 2014, 23:26   #618
Senior - BHPian

Non ABS Grand i10 has grabby brakes. One has to be very careful while driving other cars after getting used to Grand i10 brakes. I once drove Innova immediately after driving Grand i10. I almost hit the my parked grand i10. This was not dangerous as I was taking the car out of compound and was dead slow, but certainly an eye opener. Grand i10's super sensitive grabby brakes and after that relatively spongy Innova brake pedal.
But its not a major flaw. Max, 4-5 kms. and one would get a proper judgement with Grand i10.
I am yet to drive ABS equipped Grand i10 as extensively as I have driven non ABS one.
If one can afford, a tyre upgrade is certainly recommended. Stock cannot keep up with what the chassis is capable. IMO, Hyundai has deliberately undertyred the car in favor of FE. Its not massively undertyred, but 175 patch on variants higher than base would have helped.

After driving Grand i10 and Wagon R K10, I have to admit that cheaper Suzuki seems to have got the basic things right. The brakes on our waggie, even after 52K kms. are super. Its not difficult to modulate and braking in linear w.r.t. pedal input. Suzuki mechanicals are basically set up right. What the Hyundai scores up is better interiors, much better NVH ( which adds to feel good factor ).

The grabby braking IMO is not as big an issue as the steering lightening up one. I still face that sudden lightness of steering.
Old 25th September 2014, 10:26   #619
BANNED

ABS or no ABS, they are all the same. I have an ASTA(O) with ABS.
I have not faced this steering lightening issue, maybe specific to certain batches.
Old 25th September 2014, 10:45   #620
BHPian

Got 2nd free service completed for my grand petrol. Total bill came to Rs.1380. Did not opt for wheel alignment/ balancing as I plan to get it done outside. Regarding grabby brakes issue discussed here, in my case I felt it only for the initial couple of months. And no steering issue for me so far.
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:58   #621

Hi evryone,

Its been 4 omnths now since I purchased my wine red Grandi10 asta. Its has been a pleasure to drive. Apart from a scratch on the front bumper I have managed to keep it in pristine condition. I need your suggestion for a few things -

1. Can you suggest a DIY method to take care of the scratch on the bumper or suggest a good mechanic near Powai/Kanjurmag are in Powai who can do the refurbish

2. What seat covers have you guys put in your cars. I am still using the stock ones and thinking of putting seat covers to protect from the dirt so would be glad to have suggestion for covers that'll go well with te car.

3. I planning to go on a road trip to Vadodra with my wife (~450kms) next week. his will be my first such long road trip and need some expert suggestions as to how to get ready for such a long trip (What all to check in the car). Some say the route is barren in between for stretches. Although I havent changed changed tyres before, I am confident I can do it on my own if need be. What other situations I can run into trouble and how to be best prepared for it. Thanks a ton.

Also if anyone is more familiar of the route from Mumbai to Vadodra, kindly share your feedback and dos & donts.

I feel like am being a little more worried than I should be but its just that I want to be better prepared so that I enjoy the trip more.

Thanks all
Old 4th October 2014, 18:15   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack21 View Post

Also if anyone is more familiar of the route from Mumbai to Vadodra, kindly share your feedback and dos & donts.

Thanks all
Mumbai vadodara is super smooth on NH8 with many eateries, petrol pumps. Pl ensure to paste a yellow tape on right hand side headlight while in Gujarat.
Old 6th October 2014, 11:29   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Pinto View Post
Mumbai vadodara is super smooth on NH8 with many eateries, petrol pumps. Pl ensure to paste a yellow tape on right hand side headlight while in Gujarat.
Hi Michael,

Is the yellow tape mandatory? What size of tape and should it be pasted on top of the headlight?

What if the tape is not pasted, any repurcusions?

Thanks for the inputs
Old 6th October 2014, 12:08   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack21 View Post
Hi Michael,

Is the yellow tape mandatory? What size of tape and should it be pasted on top of the headlight?

What if the tape is not pasted, any repercussions?

Thanks for the inputs
Please refer this thread.
Its mandatory in Gujarat, but its not a big deal. Most of the accessories shop will have them.
But particularly for Grand i10, please put the sticker as far right as possible on RHS headlight. In my Grand i10 the sticker was put in such a way that it blocked the light throw. I was on the verge of getting projectors, but the putting the sticker in a different location helped me get better results ( and I also installed Osram bulbs ).
My posts on AutoLighting thread ( if they may help )

EDIT : How the sticker is supposed to be :
The above link has images of my Wagon R with the sticker on RHS light.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th October 2014 at 12:17.
Old 6th October 2014, 12:44   #625

yes, it is mandatory in Gujarat. else traffic cops will stop you. i do not know about the fines as I always complied. you can use a yellow 6 inch long insulation tape vertically on right side of the head light.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-dsc05688.jpg  

Old 6th October 2014, 12:48   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The grabby braking IMO is not as big an issue as the steering lightening up one. I still face that sudden lightness of steering.
For the first few months I thought that the strange steering behaviour is because of the tire pressure to only realise that it has nothing to do with that. It has an abnormal nature of weighing up at times and being super light at other times. I have adapted my driving conditions accordingly by keeping a firm hand on the wheel at all times.

The sharp brake bite is generally felt when the discs are cold. It subsides eventually.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 14:11   #627
BHPian

Hi, I own a Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2L Kappa. I observed the brake issue even during the test drive at the dealership end. But, initially I thought the issue was prominent only in the ABS models. Looks like it's become more of a DNA issue.

As others have reported, the braking is not consistent. It starts off with too tight a bite just as you cross the clearance / tolerance margin.

Further more, I observed the same issue in the Xcent as well. Disproportionate and heavy braking caused by just a dip of the right foot.

This car made me change my right leg pivot points while driving. I usually have my right leg pivoted closer to the brake pedal to get the best of braking in case of an emergency. Now, it's shifted to the accelerator pedal and i just dip my toe when I need to break.

The problem here being I drive multiple cars thanks to my profession. And when I come back to this one, the unexpected braking is quite a concern.

I also felt the gear ratios to be more city driving oriented. I drive 200 Kms a week on the highways and the 80 - 110 Kmph climb in 5th gear takes quite a while.
vigvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 12:21   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Well i had got my Gi10 in end of March (March 28th to be precise) and I have driven around 8900kms to date. I had felt the grabby brakes right from the beginning but by the time I had driven around 1 to 1.5k kms in the Gi10 my right foot had got adjusted to the amount I press the brake pedal and I have got used to driving without actually causing a jerk. I have not felt that this effect increases in wet conditions(my personal opinion).

To the third question by Vikash whether this effect reduces as the brakes break-in, my opinion is it would not reduce so much as time passes by. This is because occasionally when my friends drive my car for the first time even they make the car all jerky making the occupants uncomfortable. This happened recently when the car was about 7k kms old one of my friend wanted to test drive my car and the same issue happened.

So I guess you have to just get a bit used to the brakes in this car and everything will be fine.
Even I have this grabby brake issue. Since I also drive other cars, this becomes quite a nuisance and I have accidentally braked hard in traffic much to the chagrin of vehicles behind me. I reported this during my 1st service and I am told this is a design in Grand i10. Franky, I dont like it.
I also noticed this issue in the i10 Auto which my father in law drives. He got this addressed at his service centre but my service centre claims there is nothing that can be done to adjust the braking. Strangely they say this will improve over time as the pads wear out. If that is the case, how is this a design then?? Overall I feel this is a big detriment to the drive comfort of this car, which is otherwise a very good vehicle to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teju666 View Post
I apologize if this is not the right forum but since this is a discussion of new purchases, I thought I will bring up this issue here.
I purchased my new Grand i10 Asta Petrol last month. Since last week I am facing a Check Engine Light issue. Upon investigation, it is revealing some issue with O2 sensor. The guys at the service centre informed me that this is a known issue in i20 and i10 model and Hyundai is researching this. They dont have a procedure to rectify the problem and have reached out to Hyundai for steps. He told me I was ok to drive the car and he can try to get it resolved when I bring it for my first service which is just another 120 kms away.
Have any new owners faced this issue recently and what was your experience?
UPDATE:
This issue was with the electrical cabling of the O2 sensors. There are 2 of those and apparently there was some grounding issue with one of them leading to the CEL. The wiring was modified and I have been driving the car without CEL for last 2-3 weeks. As per the Service Manager, Hyundai has been notified of the issue and fix and they are collecting this data for all cars across India. He told me Hyundai would check with me periodically but so far no one has contacted me.

I have a Gi10 Asta Petrol purchased about 6 weeks back. I am noticing a not so nice behaviour in the music system and wanted feedback from the other owners.
I use an iPhone to connect to USB port to play music. On most occasions the audio system cannot start playing music. I can switch to the USB mode but music does not start playing. I have found that if you unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, music starts playing.
Secondly, I like to shuffle my playlist and I usually have music playing in shuffle mode on the iphone. But when I play in the car, the playlist begins from the first song and I need to select the Random mode in the car system to shuffle the list. All this is nothing major but pretty annoying for a guy like me who likes his music in the car to play seamlessly without fiddling with controls.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd March 2015 at 20:26. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 14th October 2014, 20:36   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
A question for all buyers, is Hyundai now offering extended warranty on the car?
When I bought mine in December, I was told no extended warranty is available on the car just yet, regardless of the 2 years standard warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Yes it's being offered. I was offered 3rd year extended warranty at the time of purchase. It was mentioned in the pricelist as well. It was about ~3.5k for the petrol. I was told it can be purchased anytime within the first two years of the car. The cost will be marginally higher the later you take it. A difference of hundreds is what my sa told me.
Hi Smilenow, Promit - is this true for the Grand i10 Auto version as well? Last time I checked it EW was not available for the Auto.
Old 29th October 2014, 12:34   #630
BHPian

Hi

Got My Grand Diesel Asta on Diwali.
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img20141023wa001.jpg

If you see my earlier replies, I had booked twilight blue color with Safdarjung Hyundai, who offered a April made car, when I inquired 10 days before delivery.
On repeated request also dealer did not agree to order new one, even though it was still 10 days to Dhanteras & I also confirmed the dealer that delay would be acceptable. But they were adamant even though the sales man was quite responsive otherwise.

I cancelled the booking and re-booked with Himgiri Hyundai, who promised to deliver it on Dhanteras. Inspite of all efforts, the car could only reach the dealer a day before Diwali and we got it on Diwali.

Initial Impression
We have driven it for 300 km since Diwali and we loved the tiny Diesel. Well you do fell the lack of torque & need to shift to 2nd gear on slowing but it picks-up quite well thereafter.
Gear change is very smooth & leather wrapped steering is good to hold.

We do have some issues with ICE functions, which could be more user friendly. Bluetooth phone function is good.
The MID is useless. If Hyundai did not wish to give all the features, why did they give a bigger MID. The trip meter could have been small screen like swift. Average engine running time and average distance is useless but still could have been accommodated in small screen

Few queries
1. The car brochure mentions clock even in lower variants, which do not have ICE. Where have the placed the clock ?
2.How many days will the battery last, if we put the Fuse switch to OFF position and use the mechanical key for locking ?
3. Someone did mention about the Auto car locking, if all doors are closed and the key is moved away from car (beyond 45 feet). I did not work for me. Any suggestion ? No there is nothing in Manual.

thanks.

Last edited by Wanderers : 29th October 2014 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks